MERGED-->March 28th, San Diego + GA Line Skinny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
March 28th, San Diego

The Vertigo Tour will kickoff on March 28th in San Diego at the San Diego Sports Arena.

The venue's webpage is: http://www.sandiegoarena.com

Looking for stuff to do or places to stay in beautiful San Diego? Check out Yahoo's City Guide for San Diego right here.

The GA Skinny for LA Sports Arena in San Diego

The GA Line Skinny for LA Sports Arena in San Diego. I was just there November 24 on my last tour with Metallica. There is one line for GA but I can see alot of people cutting to the front of the line at this venue. There is a gas station, on the arena's site, a Tower Records across the street, and Taco Bell. It's approximately 10 minutes from the airport. GA line will be on the side with the box office.

umm that's San Diego Sports Arena..hehehe

And there is a Krispy Kreme in the Sports Arena Parking Lot...:wink:

Hey Super...I live in San Diego..just can't believe that they are opening here! This area is not a huge market/demand for U2 shows. Typically since way way back they have only done one show here. I would never of thought that they would open here. I just assumed they would open in LA or Vegas.
I wonder why they chose SD.

or ya could ask me anything about beautiful San Diego! :wink:
<<lives in SD.

As I mentioned in another thread. If anyone is interested in a get together in SD let me know. I could head things up here, where to stay and what to do, any other tips etc.

my email addy is: Liams_mom@yahoo.com

Could do LA or Vegas after San Diego. The Pond has an open calendar March 31, April 1, 3, 4, 5th; Staples April 1, 2, 6, 8 and in Vegas the MGM and Thomas & Mack are open basicly all days.

j

The GA situation at this arena on Elevation was a disaster from most reports. There were a couple injuries as well. I hope they improve it this time for you guys.

I would really love to see this San Diego show. This is the worst week for me though, because I have a project on April 2nd and will be working night and day... hope they don't hit Vegas or LA until after April 2nd - what better way to blow off steam than seeing the boys in concert!:yes:
If I have to miss those shows that week...:sad: :mad:

Blue Room said:
The GA situation at this arena on Elevation was a disaster from most reports. There were a couple injuries as well. I hope they improve it this time for you guys.

oh gawd ..just what I wanted to hear..:( If I get tickets for this show I will hope and pray that it is run better this time out. Last tour this was the one show in southern calif. that I didn't go to (wasn't living in calif at the time).

<<< getting more and more freaked out!.:scream: :banghead: :crazy: :yikes:

mrpoptop said:
Could do LA or Vegas after San Diego. The Pond has an open calendar March 31, April 1, 3, 4, 5th; Staples April 1, 2, 6, 8 and in Vegas the MGM and Thomas & Mack are open basicly all days.

j

Thats why I am here to save the day. There will be a few F' up shows with security. The Pond in Anaheim will be one of them guaranteed, Continental Airlines Arena, Wachovia Spectrum (probably not), and Fleet Center due to the train station/Dunkin Donuts/McDonalds yummy!!!

Plus San Diego will be a tuff GA ticket to get. The arena is old and really small. They need a new arena in San Diego.

When I was at the San Diego Sports Arena, it was confusing to get onto the arena floor. You do not know which portal to enter to. Also women will have an advantage over men in this GA line. This arena is not organized since the LA and San Diego area hires security guards that are through the military. So the promoter hires cheap labor as well as Concert Pro the security company.

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:

Thats why I am here to save the day. There will be a few F' up shows with security. The Pond in Anaheim will be one of them guaranteed, Continental Airlines Arena, Wachovia Spectrum (probably not), and Fleet Center due to the train station/Dunkin Donuts/McDonalds yummy!!!

Plus San Diego will be a tuff GA ticket to get. The arena is old and really small. They need a new arena in San Diego.

When I was at the San Diego Sports Arena, it was confusing to get onto the arena floor. You do not know which portal to enter to. Also women will have an advantage over men in this GA line. This arena is not organized since the LA and San Diego area hires security guards that are through the military. So the promoter hires cheap labor as well as Concert Pro the security company.

Curious, Super.. how is it that women have the advantage over men in the GA line?

Being a woman and also missing the last u2 show here in SD. I haven't been to a show there where I had a GA Ticket.

It is possible the show could be played at Cox Arena at San Diego State. It's a much newer arena. Velvet Revolver will play there the night before, March 27th.

In 2001, they had an official GA line for the SD Sports Arena, but when the doors opened, they let GA people in any door, thus people who showed up at 6pm could walk right in and get in the heart, while many who had waited hours in the official GA line did not get in the heart.

shy said:
Thank you Hello Angel!!!!!:hug:

It's my pleasure. :)

Also, for anyone who reads this, please feel free to contact me with any suggestions on tour date/city info you would like to see me post in ever thread about each city.

shy said:
Please, how long is from Los Angeles to San Diego by car?:cool:

It's about 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on traffic (and what time of the day it is-peak traffic hours or not), how fast you drive etc. I'd say its about 125 to 130ish+ miles depending what part of LA you are coming from.

I am from LA but live in San Diego now.

shy - It's a little over 2 hours to get to San Diego. But if it is on a Monday night, it would be closer to 4 or 5 hours due to traffic

Thanks, I'm thinking to go to visit Los Angeles first, and after to go to San Diego. And about hotels, Is Days Inn good?I have no money to spend for better hotels, i was going to Miami...:wink:

I posted this info in another thread, but thought it was relevant. I lived in San Diego for 10 years.

Info about San Diego Sports Arena:

1. Second smallest venue played on last tour, save Notre Dame.

2. Sound is ridiculous. No joke, no lies, no bs. It is the worst sounding arena I have ever been in (and I have been in most of the arenas in the US...probably 45 of them). Be close, or go to Staples Center in LA. I had Golden Circle seats three sections from the stage for Elevation and I couldn't understand the words. MAJOR ECHOES and high end.

3. GA Line was bad last time. No organization, no security. Keep in mind that it was VERY early in the first leg and in my experience things got better as the tour went along. Three girls were hurt running down stairs. All doors were opened at once at 5 instead of the door where the line was. I had friends roll up five minutes before the gates opened and got in the heart and people that waited since 9 am did not. Take it with a grain of salt.

4. If you are interested in seeing the arena, watch Almost Famous. That's it. Live and in your face.

5. San Diego has pretty good public transit. There is a bus depot (Old Town) within walking distance from the arena. Hop on the 992 bus from the airport, and any northbound bus to Old Town. You can walk from there.

6. Southwest Airlines (I worked for them in SAN DIEGO) is very busy in San Diego, especially on Sundays and even more so on a holdiay weekend like this one. Fly in on Saturday.

7. The Sports Arena is located in the Point Loma/Mission Bay part of town. This is only signifigant because it is between a lot of military bases and installations. That means a lot of cheap hotels. There are several a few blocks down Sports Arena Blvd. Plenty of food, (Ralphs, Target across the street) bathrooms aren't a problem.

8. I called the Sports Arena this morning and they said they couldn't confirm the date, but sounded like it was happening.

9. Looking for cheap airline tickest? Buy Southwest Rapid Rewards vouchers from Ebay.

Email me if you want more info

cburke737@comcast.net

Last edited:
shy said:
Thanks, I'm thinking to go to visit Los Angeles first, and after to go to San Diego. And about hotels, Is Days Inn good?I have no money to spend for better hotels, i was going to Miami...:wink:

Shy,
I suggest going to yahoo.com and then select travel then hotels. That will give you a good idea. The area where the Sports Arena is called: Midway Area. Just outside of that is Old Town. Also, Mission Bay/Sea World (the nicer hotels are in this area). Midway Area and Old Town have more reasonably priced hotels that are smaller and nice, clean and convenient. So, when in the hotel section of yahoo just look for these areas.

Halup said:
It is possible the show could be played at Cox Arena at San Diego State. It's a much newer arena. Velvet Revolver will play there the night before, March 27th.

In 2001, they had an official GA line for the SD Sports Arena, but when the doors opened, they let GA people in any door, thus people who showed up at 6pm could walk right in and get in the heart, while many who had waited hours in the official GA line did not get in the heart.

Hmmm I wish I could bail out on the GA line and see Velvet Revolver for the 9th time but I am working for them in April for one show.

Yes the sound at the Sports Arena is bad unless youre nice and close to the stage (Where else would you want to be?) Cox has better sound but it is even smaller. Plus if VR are there the night before that would probably count it out. I would guess the band would have the arena for the week or so before the show.

michelleontheair said:

Are you thinking what I'm thinking Julie?

:hyper:

mishka
boom, boom... vrooom!

Michelle!!!!!

You better let us know if you're thinking about coming to San Diego!!! :hyper: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom