MERGED-->Joining the middle of the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bodnex

The Fly
Joining the middle of the GA line: Portland

Well, I may be going to the Portland show. I can get my own way there, but I probably won't be there until 10am or so, as I won't be driving. So, if I arrived at that time, would I be able to join up with an Interferencers who had been queueing for a little while [obviously not with someone who had been queueing for about a day before, but someone who had maybe been queueing since the morning]?

The reason I'd like to do this is because I'd first of all like someone to talk to, and also because I'd like to get close to the rail. Is this totally frowned upon? I know it seems really bad, but someone did it in the Croker III line [joined her friends ahead of me at about midday, I'd been queueing since 9.30. No-one really cared too much]. Would the American line be as welcoming as that, or would I get a total bollocking of comeone?

I'm sort of wondering the same thing, because I'm going to be in the line from the night before or early morning, but my girlfriend won't be able to make it to the line till mid-afternoon or so. I'm wondering whether or not people will be hostile about it. If I just let everyone around me know that I'll have someone joining me later, I don't think it will be a big deal.

Another thing I'm worried about is whether or not they'll pass out line wristbands at 9 am or so and tell us to come back at 5. If I'm saving a spot for someone, would they give me another wristband?

I had to bring a bag of Mrs. Fields cookies to bribe the people around me to not give my friend a hard time when she showed up late and it worked like a charm. It's a small booster that will at least endear yourself to your surroundings for a few hours and not make them think you're an inconsiderate jackass. And everyone likes cookies.

inmyplace13 said:
I'm sort of wondering the same thing, because I'm going to be in the line from the night before or early morning, but my girlfriend won't be able to make it to the line till mid-afternoon or so. I'm wondering whether or not people will be hostile about it. If I just let everyone around me know that I'll have someone joining me later, I don't think it will be a big deal.

Another thing I'm worried about is whether or not they'll pass out line wristbands at 9 am or so and tell us to come back at 5. If I'm saving a spot for someone, would they give me another wristband?

Nope...if the body is not there and wristband's are handed out and you are told to line up later your friend is SOL....the cookie or any bribery idea for that matter is a good one. Good tips for folks too.

people definitely get really weird about people just joining up in line. Unless everybody is informed that you have somebody coming and they're cool with it by the time the friend shows up you might have some really nasty looks thrown your way. Its never fun to be there all day and then have somebody just waltz up and get in front of you :madspit:
Ive never been to the rose garden for a show but if the fans are in charge of the line what you might want to do is when you sign into the book and get your number enter a friend in there too and take the next number as well. Then when your friend gets there they can go up and say who they are and get their number.

I'll be in Portland so no cutting in front of me :wink:

GA Line etiquette

i have GA tickets for next week's show. i am planning to get in line really early in the morning to get a good spot. my friend is supposed to go with me, but she can't wait in line with me until later in the afternoon. is it ok if i just wait in line and that she joins me later? would other people in line be cool with that?

i already waited in the GA line during the first leg of the tour, and there were a few people who did this... one guy in front of me was holding a spot for his wife...another guy was holding a spot for his friend...both wife and friend showed up in the afternoon/evening. nobody seemed to have a problem with that... i certainly didn't have a problem with it either. but i wanted to get some opinions before i plan out my day...

I was in the GA line by myself in Detroit...with my Interference friends in a different spot, closer to the front. I wouldn't have even dreamed of cutting in line to be with them, as much as I would have loved to have some friends to be with. It's just not cool to cut, regardless of circumstances.

Believe me - I soooooooooo wanted Bonochick with us in line - but it really is not kosher to cut. People are watching, and even if the small group of people around you say they don't mind, it really isn't fair to all the people behind you. That said, some people (including Interferencers :mad: ) do it, and you might get away with it - or you might get booed and shamed mercilessly, and security may force you to the back of the line (depends on the venue).

I don't like line cutting. I'll be meeting up with interferencers in December and since they'll be right near the Garden they'll probably get there before me. But, I wouldn't cut the line to be with them.

would it be ok/not ok if my friend came early in the morning with me to wait in line, then leave later and come back? or if my friend bribed someone to stand in line for her until she gets back? or if i told people around me that i'm holding a spot for my friend?

hmmm...what should i do...maybe it wouldnt hurt to bring some cookies... :wink:

It kinda depends on how long she is gone - and that is not set in stone. You can't really just show up, get a number, leave for 8 hours, then try to come back. 2-3 hours is pushing it...

My boss showed up at 1:00 PM for Detroit 2, I had been there since 8:00 am, and I have definitely "put in my time" at other shows, including being the 3rd person the night before for Detroit 1 and the 2nd person for Pittsburgh also the night before. What did I do? Let my boss get in the back of the line of course cause I had warned her that would happen.

My best friend and her husband showed up at 3:00 pm. Same scenario. Back of the line. My boss ended up 2nd off the rail only to lose her spot when the people around her were jerks and did not allow her to get back in after going to the restroom after Institute. :( If I was one of the people that seem to think it is ok to do that, I could have of course prevented that from happening to her and my best friend and her husband would have had better spots... Then again, I would have screwed quite a few people that had been waiting around as long as I...

So in other words... playing by the rules sucks, but in my book, it is the only way to do it....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom