MERGED--> Hawaii rumor discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halup

Refugee
Hawaii rumored for Vertigo show, possibly tour finale

From u2tours.com:

Rumors: Hawaii
November 22, 2005

Various sources are buzzing about strong rumors that U2 are planning to play Hawaii in 2006, possibly in April after the band finishes its dates in New Zealand and Australia. If the rumor becomes reality, it would be U2's first concert in Hawaii since 1985.

It this turns out to be true, Portland will not be the final U.S. Vertigo show.

Hawaii was planned for the 1998 4th leg of Popmart but did not happen. The 1997 tour program listed all the 1997 tour dates (as of the time it was printed) plus it listed the places where they intended to play in 1998 and Hawaii was listed, along with Southeast Asia and New Zealand. All 3 of those fell through.

Isn't Hawaii where they wrote Pride or played it for the first time? *rushing to find my U2 tour book*

Maybe they'll come up with the next Pride there! This time, HITNOL (Hawaii, in the name of love)!

i was at the last atlanta show. I talked with a member of the crew whom i have got to know a little bit, and he mentioned they would be in hawaii next year. We weren't talking about the tour, we were talking about places we had been, and where he was going. But when he said 'we' would be in hawaii next year he meant the whole u2 show, not just him. i take that as a sure sign they will be playing hawaii. This guy's friend, who is not a u2 employee, told me later, that u2 would play hawaii next april and that would be the final show of the tour and that there would be other shows in the states in 2006.

russmadem said:
This guy's friend, who is not a u2 employee, told me later, that u2 would play hawaii next april and that would be the final show of the tour and that there would be other shows in the states in 2006.

If Hawaii is the last show of the tour, why would there be other shows in the States later in 2006? Or did you mean there would NOT be other shows later in the year?

russmadem said:
i was at the last atlanta show. I talked with a member of the crew whom i have got to know a little bit, and he mentioned they would be in hawaii next year. We weren't talking about the tour, we were talking about places we had been, and where he was going. But when he said 'we' would be in hawaii next year he meant the whole u2 show, not just him. i take that as a sure sign they will be playing hawaii. This guy's friend, who is not a u2 employee, told me later, that u2 would play hawaii next april and that would be the final show of the tour and that there would be other shows in the states in 2006.

:hmm: Arthur Fogel - their promotor - said the 4th leg would finish the tour, also Edge in a recent interview didn't say they would play more US (or Europe) shows.

spose they could all take a good vacation after to with kids etc, as it maybe easter. didnt check date! bit of surfing.....

Allow me to apologize and correct myself. I meant to say, u2 will play hawaii as the last show of the entire tour and WOULD NOT play any more US shows. I just revisited this thread and realized my goof....sorry, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes.

U2 will be playing in the U.S. next Summer. Guaranteed from a friend who spoke to someone in production. No dates revealed but June I heard of the U.S. tour starting around that time.

Super_Fan, when did your friend hear this? It's been known that U2 has been planning US summer dates, the same way that they planned 2002 European summer dates, but I think in the past week or so, they may have made the decision to not go ahead with those plans, as they also decided in 2002 to not go ahead with the planned European tour, even though it was already plotted.

On Monday, The Edge was quoted on billboard.com making comments that seemed to imply they had decided against further US dates (at least the US mainland). He was quoted from Thursday the 17th, when he was in New Orleans on the day off between Tampa and Atlanta 1.

Arthur Fogel was quoted also this week saying the entire tour will end the second week of April.

Also, reports from fans attending the New York shows had crew members saying the tour will not return to the US, other than to Hawaii.

While I would love for the rumor to be true, I have no idea where they'd play! The last time U2 was here, they played the Blaisdell Center. They can't do that anymore, since there's not enough room for the Vertigo setup (not to mention that the place is an absolute dump, no ventilation, dirty, poorly staffed, etc.).

Aloha Stadium . . . hmmm. Here's the problem -- plane tickets to Hawaii are expensive! Much of the island's current population seems to be locals and military (like myself :) ) -- meaning that U2's popularity here is probably somewhat limited. Hence, filling Aloha Stadium would be much more of a chore than anywhere else that they've played.

It's got to be Aloha Stadium. The Stones were able to play 2 nights there in 1998 and are also rumored to be going there in March. I think Hawaii is starved for live music and get the feeling that many locals will go even if they are not the biggest U2 fans. A combination of locals and haolis from the islands and from the mainland could fill up 35,000 seats.

I emailed someone who works in or around bringing concerts to Edmonton, AB, Canada and I asked him if he's heard anything on U2 coming here and he said there is talk of May 2006 but nothing confirmed so at least there's hope for the people in Alberta who never got to see a Vertigo show!!!

Both Michael and Janet Jackson filled teh Aloha Bowl twice - Michael in 1997, Janet in 2000... so it is possible...

Hehe . . . I didn't think this could happen, hence two trips back to the mainland :)

Ah, who am I kidding . . . one show wouldn't have been enough anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom