MERGED --> GA Rules for Chicago + Chicago GA Line up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Parking at the UC

Originally posted by Catlady

What I was told when calling the UC was that they are opening up only one lot at 12:00--Lot K which is adjacent to the GA lineup area. But it's troublesome because if people go earlier there's not really anyplace good to leave your car.

Okay, Catlady ... this is what I've been told by several of my contacts within the United Center ... The parking lot INSIDE the fence on the UC's property ( Lot H ) ... does NOT open up until later in the day (5:00-5:30 P.M.) This way they keep the GA ticketholders off the UC property ... Parking Lot K is next to the UC ... by the GA line-up section (so they keep the GA people in one area) ... There's too many GA ticketholders to accommodate standing around outside the building ON the UC property too early in the morning .. that is why the GA line-up starts at 12 noon
and OFF of the UC's property ... If you show up way too early ... you'll be attempting to park (not .. Lot K either) ... most-likely across the street or several blocks away from the UC .. but I haven't heard if these lots will be open earlier than 12 noon ... Public Transportation parks in Lot B ... People who take public transportation to the UC will end up standing around waiting in parking lots as well, if they arrive too early .... before GA lining-up is allowed for them to do so. Sorry the news isn't alot better ...
I think this whole situation is ridiculous for all of the GA ticketholders too ... but this is their current policy ... is what I've been led to understand ...

OK, that makes sense and is consistent with what they told me and with what the UC email said.

For people who are planning to show up earlier than noon--if none of the other lots are open, try to find street parking east of the UC; that area has changed a great deal, especially Madison Street, and it should be relatively safe.

I'm thinking they are just trying to discourage people from camping and lining up early. Most of us know we've all had good experiences waiting in line. I'm mean come on...ya gotta pee, ya gotta pee! They had porta potties out there the last time. I went to get something to eat for myself and a couple of the people standing around me. It was U2 harmony all they way around! :hug:
For those going on Saturday...AGAIN...make sure you post how things go w/the GA lines to help out the rest of us. I'm sorry you guys have to be guinea pigs...but I'm betting everything will go swell. :dancing:

Originally posted by miss becky
Just 57 hours to go!! :hyper:

Hey missbecky ... I've got some news ... finally !!
Sorry, I didn't post it here on your quote, but I'm doing other stuff
in between Interference right now (going back and forth) and when I found out about it, I noticed Catlady used my quote regarding a similar request so I posted on her quote instead !!
Well, anyway ... Check out my above post, as I've heard from a couple of my UC contacts regarding new GA information that you should be aware of now ... especially with public transit to the UC.

MsMofoGone said:

Hey missbecky ... I've got some news ... finally !!
Sorry, I didn't post it here on your quote, but I'm doing other stuff
in between Interference right now (going back and forth) and when I found out about it, I noticed Catlady used my quote regarding a similar request so I posted on her quote instead !!
Well, anyway ... Check out my above post, as I've heard from a couple of my UC contacts regarding new GA information that you should be aware of now ... especially with public transit to the UC.

Thanks! My mom and I are planning to take a cab. We're thinking of getting there around 11. That way if we're too early and aren't allowed to line up yet, we only have an hour to kill, pretending to be interested in the architecture of the arena. :wink:

Thanks for all your help, MsMofoGone...I hope I get to meet you tomorrow! :hug:

Originally posted by miss becky

Thanks! My mom and I are planning to take a cab. We're thinking of getting there around 11 :wink:

Thanks for all your help, MsMofoGone...I hope I get to meet you tomorrow! :hug:

Good call missbecky !!
I hope you get beeped into the Ellipse too ... Good Luck !! :wink:

Before the concert while the house lights are on ... keep your
eyes focused on the 300 level ... Edge's side ( That's the left side middle of the arena ... ) I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with pink letters that spell out MsMofoGone ... I'm hoping to meet you
and other Interferencers as well ... I'll be in the 2nd row ... so you
might spot me after all ... if you're looking !! :camera:

Last edited:
MsMofoGone said:

Good call missbecky !!
I hope you get beeped into the Ellipse too ... Good Luck !! :wink:

Before the concert while the house lights are on ... keep your
eyes focused on the 300 level ... Edge's side ( That's the left side middle of the arena ... ) I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with pink letters that spell out MsMofoGone ... I'm hoping to meet you
and other Interferencers as well ... I'll be in the 2nd row ... so you
might spot me after all ... if you're looking !! :camera:

:hmm: That would be quite cool if we all wore Interference shirts with our user names on them

hluvslmj said:

:hmm: That would be quite cool if we all wore Interference shirts with our user names on them

Or some of those "Hi! My name is _____" nametags. :wink:

Miroslava said:
Ok, some of you reaaaaaally need to take a valium or two and stop freaking out...

You're freaking the rest of us out! :ohmy:

Ruffian has already done a bunch of shows, Chizip, Ally, myself and others have already done at least one and we're alive to tell the tale...

What time is everyone showing up? Who knows. I don't think any other show has had a bunch of people going "ok, we're all going to show up at this time"

what to bring? well, that depends on how long you'll be staying in line. Your supplies will vary vastly depending different scenarios.

Can you bring your cell phone? YES. The cell phones are a part of the show.

Can you bring your camera? That's a little bit touchier. Tickets say no. Venue will probably continue to say no until the end. Chances are they'll let you bring it in provided it is not a professional camera. But if you dont have a car, you're of course risking trouble if this is not the case.

Are there bathroom breaks allowed? I don't see how they can't allow bathroom breaks. My theory is that they're acting all hard to discourage us from showing up too early.

Now seriously, let's all grab a paper bag, breath in and out and relax

:wink: :D

:lmao:
:bow: :bow: :bow:
really, we're gonna have a GREAT time. Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Well, Interference, I'm outta here. Headed off to the airport. I hope to see many of you on Saturday. Everyone have a great weekend, and enjoy the show!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

safe travels, everyone...i'm just leaving for the airport as well. :wave:

ruffian said:

:lmao:
:bow: :bow: :bow:
really, we're gonna have a GREAT time. Enjoy!!

Yes we are! :) For those going to the Saturday show,have a safe trip,and see the rest of you peeps in the GA line Monday!!!

Rhia

Scanned this thread and did not see it answered. Did the 5/10 show have any presale? If not, membership card gets me and guest in U2.com line? If there was a presale and my tickets do not have a "fan" code (I bought them off stubhub), then even with the fan club card, I'm stuck in the general line?

Any word on what the UC will do with people who do show up early?

Also, any news on box office sales the days of the shows? Will people be able to line up for those? Thanks again.

See you for sure on Monday and Tuesday!

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Any word on what the UC will do with people who do show up early?

If there's alot of people ... they may start forming the GA line-up
earlier, if necessary ...
But, I've been lead by the UC to believe that GA ticketholders who arrive too early will have to wait around in nearby parking lots or business establishments UNTIL they allow you to line-up at 12 noon ...

For the u2.com/member lines for 5/10 & 5/12 (no presale), can I get a guest in if they're not a member but I am?

I'm a u2.com member, but my sis ain't.

Thanx

Anybody hear anything about the what time and where the GA line started up this morning?

I can't wait until Monday!!

Just got a report from a friend. Got there at 5:45 and is in the low 60's. Most of the people ahead of them had camped out.

So what does this mean? Every one needs to stop worrying about the whole 12:00 line up thing and just go and get in line.

Thanks for posting the update! Did your friend mention where the line was starting since you can't get on grounds until noon?

Thanks again for the heads up!

I was just wondering if there was more info. How did the transition go from the off-property line to the UC-run line? Are they letting anyone out of line to pee or eat? Any info is greatly appreciated. Approximately how many people were already there @ 5:45? How many @ noon? How was parking?
I could go on forever...:huh:

NEW @U2 WINDY CITY NEWS
May 07, 2005
posted by: m2
News and notes shared with @U2 and U2tours.com by fans "in the know" about the Chicago shows and video shoot:

* A cameraman is shooting interviews with fans in the GA line today (May 7th), asking for "fan stories" and such. The cameraman is part of the official video crew and says the footage may be used as part of a bonus feature on the DVD.
* Same cameraman says all four shows in Chicago are being filmed.
* Coldplay's Chris Martin is expected to be in attendance tonight. After Coldplay's show this week in San Francisco, Martin told a U2 fan that tonight's show would probably be his only chance to see U2 all year.
Thanks Tim and Matt....

hluvslmj said:
I was just wondering if there was more info. How did the transition go from the off-property line to the UC-run line? Are they letting anyone out of line to pee or eat? Any info is greatly appreciated. Approximately how many people were already there @ 5:45? How many @ noon? How was parking?
I could go on forever...:huh:

Everything went fine. Stop worrying.

You can go pee if you have to. You can go eat. You could also have a pizza delivered (like I have mentioned 300 times on this board). Take the number to Giordanos with you.

There were approximately 60 people in line at 5:45 am.

There were a lot in line at noon. Enough that you might as well wait until 5:30 to show up.

Parking was simple. Pay the money, and then you park.

Originally posted by Hez2276
Thanks for posting the update! Did your friend mention where the line was starting since you can't get on grounds until noon?

Thanks again for the heads up!

Then like we have all said 1000 times, waiting outside the fence is fine since it's not their property. Once you can line up on their property, the line only moves 20 feet. There will be people there before you get there, guaranteed! So just find them and line up. You will NOT be first in line, so stop worrying about it.

Got it! I'm not nervous, I was just trying to decide to go @ 3 or 5 AM and which side of the UC the line would be on. As you stated, I will not be first so I will just circle around until I see others.

* Coldplay's Chris Martin is expected to be in attendance tonight. After Coldplay's show this week in San Francisco, Martin told a U2 fan that tonight's show would probably be his only chance to see U2 all year.
Thanks Tim and Matt.... [/B]

Damn, it was probably him or Gwyneth that were bidding the 5/7 GA's up to $1000 on ebay! :wink:

how much is parking in the actual UC parking lot and, if i get there at 8ish, will there be spots left? I was planning on taking the Damen bus down from my house but I'm thinking of being a fangirl at the band exit after the show.... :wink:

mrsmullen said:
how much is parking in the actual UC parking lot and, if i get there at 8ish, will there be spots left? I was planning on taking the Damen bus down from my house but I'm thinking of being a fangirl at the band exit after the show.... :wink:

Parking off Adams was 20 bucks. Well worth it IMO. There were maybe 25 cars in the lot when I parked. Are you talking 8 pm? I there will probably be parking available in the Malcolm X lot. I got there around 9:50 am. and was # 164. It didn't seem like alot of people who got there early got in the "bomb shelter." Makes me worried.....

OK, sorry if this has already been covered but I don't have much time to read through.....I'm thinking of getting in line tomorrow between 6-9am and last I read, parking wasn't open until noon. We have to have our car along b/c the guy we've been crashing with is having surgery tomorrow morning so we have to have our stuff and vehicle out of his place. Where can we park at 6am where we wouldn't have to move the car ever? I don't care how much it costs. I'm not familiar with this area at all so if someone had a map of the UC area and could indicate where to park or where people parked for yesterday, I'd really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom