MERGED ----> Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1, BILLBOARD + WooHoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am wondering: will they play "half" of North America first, come back for the other "half" or will they tour the entire continent twice?

Because if they are doing arenas, do the math:

Chicago - 4 shows
Boston - 4 shows
LA - 3 shows
NYC/NJ - 4 shows
Toronto - 2 shows
Montreal - 2 shows
FLA - 2 shows
Western Canada - 3-4 shows

That already adds up to 25 and these are definite multiple show cities. Leaves them with 5. Would it therefore make more sense to tour 1/2 the continent, take a break, then tour the other 1/2?

Just as an FYI I don't think they can ever play China; they permanently banned any musical act in support of a Free Tibet.

its 30 dates which means 30 cities. Doesnt take into account multiple shows. They are going to run this exactly like they did last tour...all I can say is yet again theyve over saterated the weak market that I call the USA with concerts they dont deserve.

What happened to South America. I doubt very much they do much of Eastern Europe either. I dont care what it costs even if they lose some money going to these places it will please the fanbase a lot more then it would please some surfer from Florida who could really give a crap about U2.

At least they are going to Australia and Japan this time but thats probably only due to pressure put on them....the biggest difference in the last few tours in my opinion is that they are doing it mostly for the money and only as a secondary concern for the fans.

It is a pure disgrace they are not going to Mexico City or any of the South American continent that supported them whole heartedly on the POPMART tour.

And no I do not live in these places, but yes it does piss me off royally.

It's worth noting that on ZooTV's first leg, which was in arenas, began in Florida, and featured 33 shows, they played almost every city only once.

I'm worried about the ticket situation. Stadiums in larger markets might have been a better idea.

(And hopefully they will announce a South American leg at a later date. It would be incomprehensible if they missed that part of the world again. The size of the Popmart crowds speak for themselves.)

Yahweh said:
its 30 dates which means 30 cities. Doesnt take into account multiple shows. They are going to run this exactly like they did last tour...all I can say is yet again theyve over saterated the weak market that I call the USA with concerts they dont deserve.

What happened to South America. I doubt very much they do much of Eastern Europe either. I dont care what it costs even if they lose some money going to these places it will please the fanbase a lot more then it would please some surfer from Florida who could really give a crap about U2.

At least they are going to Australia and Japan this time but thats probably only due to pressure put on them....the biggest difference in the last few tours in my opinion is that they are doing it mostly for the money and only as a secondary concern for the fans.

It is a pure disgrace they are not going to Mexico City or any of the South American continent that supported them whole heartedly on the POPMART tour.

And no I do not live in these places, but yes it does piss me off royally.

How big of you to not care if they lose money. If I was losing money doing certain things in my profession, I sure wouldn't do it again. Sure, I'd be disappointed if they decided not to come to California, but I wouldn't get pissed about it. There are bigger issues in life. More power to U2 if they can get more money not touring South America.....that is the beauty of free choice.

If they are coming to Australia out of pressure put on them, I doubt they will do a full tour. They will probably just go to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I doubt they will come here to Adelaide :(

AussieU2fanman said:
If they are coming to Australia out of pressure put on them, I doubt they will do a full tour. They will probably just go to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I doubt they will come here to Adelaide :(

The rumours say there will be 10 Australia/NZ shows, so I'd presume at least ONE of those would be in Adelaide.

I think U2 might want to do a shortened tour because they've timed themselves to finish off the main part of the career by 2010 so they might want to be back to record an album by the end of 2006

Yahweh said:
I dont care what it costs even if they lose some money going to these places it will please the fanbase a lot more then it would please some surfer from Florida who could really give a crap about U2.

I don't get this. One day you start a thread asking everyone to pledge that they buy the album so U2 makes the money they deserve for their work and a week later you say this?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting. Is this one of those sarcastic responses that has gone over my head?.:huh:

It will be funny next tour if they decide to skip the US because the dollar is dropping like a stone....thats the excuse they gave to Australia last time.

Further to my point, touring these places in the end would make U2 more money from new fans as well as CD sales. It would make economic sense for them to tour in markets that havent been played in years rather then over saturating an already proven weak market in the US.

If more americans were like the ones we have on Interference that wouldnt be a problem but overall the US market is definatly proven over time to be a weak one in the last 10 years.

I think there is something to be said for serving your customer...they are a rock band but they are also in the customer service business and they arent doing a very good job of serving the customer world wide.

U2s success comes in forms of having fans everywear in the world and they should at least try to reach out to those fans that have been with them for so many years, rather then going to certain places because they are instant cash.

There should be 1 leg in the US of maybe 40 dates and that is it.

I would have liked to see the tour run down like this

1. USA/Canada (mix of arenas and stadiums depending on the market of about 40 dates)
2. Europe (mix of arenas and stadiums of about 40 dates)
3. South America (15 date stadiums)
4. Australia/Japan/other (15 dates stadiums)

I think that would make for a more satisfied fanbase myself.

Where you live should not decide
Whether you see them
Or whether they slip by

Yahweh said:
It will be funny next tour if they decide to skip the US because the dollar is dropping like a stone....thats the excuse they gave to Australia last time.

They should actually tour the US more with the exchange rate the way it is. They get roughly 25% more than what the dollar should be worth in an ideal world. Very favorable...

I guess South America along with the rest of the world will have to live with the crumbs from U2s table.

Canada so I am not worried about seeing them myself, but still I cant help but be mad with the way the last few tours have been organized, very shotty job.

Yahweh said:
Canada so I am not worried about seeing them myself, but still I cant help but be mad with the way the last few tours have been organized, very shotty job.

The last few tours, Zoo TV, Popmart, Elevation?

no Elevation and this new one.

Both of them were definatly organized to be money grabs more then anything else.

This amazing album should be going around the world simple as that...the US deserves shows just not as many as they get.

Hm ... I'm remembering a Bono quote here ... didn't he (or another band member) say that they are going to be all over the map, here, there, and everywhere?

Maybe that will mean more tour legs will be added ...

Yahweh said:
This amazing album should be going around the world simple as that...the US deserves shows just not as many as they get.

I guess you still haven't done the math.

I will say again what I said on the 1st page of this thread, as of now the people that ARE getting screwed are the people in South America.

As it stands now there will be more tickets available in Europe than in the North America.

That's if what was in this article is accurate that is.

I would like to see the actual dates before I comment further about what could potentially be done wrong here. They should also try adding a few cities in Africa to that list again something they did on the Popmart tour.

Back
Top Bottom