MERGED ----> atu2.com rumour + Second Hawaii Show?!?! 12/10/2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:
I find it hard to believe that with less than a month to go they would change the final Hawaii show to be on the 10th.

Come to think about it, I find it hard to believe they would add stadium shows next summer anywhere.

:yes:

ramblin rose said:
I find it hard to believe that with less than a month to go they would change the final Hawaii show to be on the 10th.

Come to think about it, I find it hard to believe they would add stadium shows next summer anywhere.

Agreed, at least about the Hawaii show - they haven't even sold the first one out yet, and Pearl Jam's own show isn't 100% sold out yet in a much smaller venue. Not gonna happen this late in the game. I think if atu2 were more confident about that rumor, Matt would have put it on the front page and/or on u2tours.com, and not buried it at the end of his column.

ramblin rose said:

yea the hawaii show was probably the hardest sell of the tour... bad time of year, most people are broke in december due to the holidays, very expensive to fly there, hard to get hotel space, etc. etc. so i highly doubt they'd add on another stadium show in hawaii.

A few promotional shows around the globe for the IMAX movie. I don't think they'll be extending this tour beyond Hawaii.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if there are any stadium dates next year they'll be in the US... wether that's fair or not, i don't know nor care... but it makes the most sense that that's where they'd be.

Stadiums shows are supposed to be with great and really alive audiences , and I don't see much of it on the US :shrug:

J_NP said:
Stadiums shows are supposed to be with great and really alive audiences , and I don't see much of it on the US

That's a twatty comment.

I just saw the Stones play in front of 42,000 stoned American hippies at the Oakland Coliseum.... lively crowd, despite fans averaging 65 years old.

If U2 end up playing some outdoor dates here next year, don't worry about it, J_NP. All the shows will sell out and all the shows will be a good time.

Sorry you won't be able to make it
:wink:

ramblin rose said:

my sentiments exactly :up:

andyuk said:
this won't happen as Adam is getting married in the middle of 2007 so can you honestly see him doing a big tour and getting married etc? i don't think so!

Spot on. I think these rumours a some way wide of the mark. Okay, come on, who started them up?!!!!

martha said:
Hawaii didn't, and they haven't played there for years.

True, but I think Hawaii is a different can of worms.

Hawaii doesn't have the population concentration necessary to sell out bigtime concerts, and so must rely on the tourist influx to buy up tickets.

Getting to and staying in Honolulu is very expensive for most people, especially at the end of the year with the holidays coming up, so only a certain percentage of people will fly all the way out there just for one show (it seems like a lot of us are flying in, but I doubt there will be more than 3-4000 U2/PJ fans doing so).

The Stones sold out stadiums across the USA over the past two months, but have cancelled their Nov. 22nd Honolulu gig at Aloha Stadium, supposedly due to Mick's throat problems, but actually due to poor ticket sales.

I doubt U2 will do stadium dates next year, here or anywhere else, but if they did, I don't think they would have any trouble selling out Giants Stadium, Fenway Park, Soldier Field, Dodger Stadium, AT&T Park in SF, et al.

4U2Play said:
there will be more than 3-4000 U2/PJ fans doing so).

The Stones sold out stadiums across the USA over the past two months, but have cancelled their Nov. 22nd Honolulu gig at Aloha Stadium, supposedly due to Mick's throat problems, but actually due to poor ticket sales.

As U2 fans we're better off than the average Stonesfan. Last year Jagger & Co. rescheduled the entire European tour, official because K.Richards had fallen from a coconut tree. The real reason was very poor ticket sales. Front of Stage GA tix were available to most shows up to a few weeks before the actual shows.. Problem was that ticket prices were too skyhigh... (130 Euro's for a GA ticket).....
Hopefully U2 will never make that embarrassing mistake... having to cancel shows because of poor ticketsales..

wtonis said:

As U2 fans we're better off than the average Stonesfan. Last year Jagger & Co. rescheduled the entire European tour, official because K.Richards had fallen from a coconut tree. The real reason was very poor ticket sales. Front of Stage GA tix were available to most shows up to a few weeks before the actual shows.. Problem was that ticket prices were too skyhigh... (130 Euro's for a GA ticket).....
Hopefully U2 will never make that embarrassing mistake... having to cancel shows because of poor ticketsales..

Having to cancel shows because of poor ticket sales is indeed embarassing for a big act like the Stones. It's even more embarassing when the poor ticket sales are mostly due to the fact that you are charging ridiculously high prices for you tickets (if front of stage tickets were still on sale it makes it pretty clear that's the reason).

That hasn't happened to U2 yet but it could if they keep raising their ticket prices by 20%-30% every tour. They get away with the high price for seats because of the reasonable price of GA tickets. That being said, I think other acts will have learned their lessons before U2 goes too far, fortunately for them. Apparently the trend in sky-high concert ticket prices is reversing a bit because people are just not going anymore. I remember during Peter Gabriel's last tour he actually reduced the price of his tickets considerably DURING the tour because of poor sales. Kind of humiliating but at least he (and his promoters) had the guts to recognise that they were charging too much and people were not willing to pay that much to see him.

There is indeed some kind of justice for the consumer with the good old supply and demand concept!

Lemonboy said:

Could you please go a little deeper on you thoughts behind this statement?

if they were to tour again this summer, which i highly doubt, but let's just assume they want to add one more stadiumleg.

where have they not brought their stadium show thus far... north america, africa, the middle east, india & southeast asia.

as much as bono is in love with africa, i don't see it. there aren't enough locations, other than perhaps south afria, where they could realisticly sell out a stadium. the mid-east and south-east asia is a tad volitile, so a show in, say, tel aviv again isn't exactly realistic, either. not in the current political climate. so where does that leave them to take the stadium gig? north america.

this rumor pretains to stadium gigs. if it were rumored arena shows, i would think europe would make the most sense because it's the biggest market yet to see the arena show. america is the biggest market yet to see the stadium show. thus it makes the most sense.

oceane said:

Having to cancel shows because of poor ticket sales is indeed embarassing for a big act like the Stones. It's even more embarassing when the poor ticket sales are mostly due to the fact that you are charging ridiculously high prices for you tickets (if front of stage tickets were still on sale it makes it pretty clear that's the reason).

That hasn't happened to U2 yet but it could if they keep raising their ticket prices by 20%-30% every tour. They get away with the high price for seats because of the reasonable price of GA tickets. That being said, I think other acts will have learned their lessons before U2 goes too far, fortunately for them. Apparently the trend in sky-high concert ticket prices is reversing a bit because people are just not going anymore. I remember during Peter Gabriel's last tour he actually reduced the price of his tickets considerably DURING the tour because of poor sales. Kind of humiliating but at least he (and his promoters) had the guts to recognise that they were charging too much and people were not willing to pay that much to see him.

There is indeed some kind of justice for the consumer with the good old supply and demand concept!
Did anyone watch Ticketmaster sales with Coldplay last year? They had the auction thing for the best seats through the TM web site. It was supposed to fight scalpers, but from what I saw it turned off a lot of fans. There were a lot of tickets available at face value. I don't think this is a commentary on Coldplay, just too high ticket prices.

Mark

they key to fighting scalpers is simple... make the best tickets available as Will Call Pickup only.

if you want to transfer the tickets, you must transfer them to another credit card, and whatever credit card the name is in must be shown when picking up the tickets.

thus then even if you buy tickets and all of a sudden can't go, you can still give them to someone else at face value.

bada bing bada boom.

i believe springsteen did something like this with his acoustic tour, and pearl jam's ten club is different but similar.

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase i believe springsteen did something like this with his acoustic tour,

He did. What was really fun was the ebay scalpers had to sit next to their victims. They bought two tickets, the maximum, and then sold one of them for 500 bucks. You had to meet the scalper at the box office and sit next to him for the entire show.

People did it though because they wanted to see him. I had no sympathy for either party.

martha said:

He did. What was really fun was the ebay scalpers had to sit next to their victims. They bought two tickets, the maximum, and then sold one of them for 500 bucks. You had to meet the scalper at the box office and sit next to him for the entire show.

People did it though because they wanted to see him. I had no sympathy for either party.

..must be kind of cool sitting next to a scalper for 2 hours.. Can you ask for a refund if you're not satisfied with the show?? :LOL:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if they were to tour again this summer, which i highly doubt, but let's just assume they want to add one more stadiumleg.

where have they not brought their stadium show thus far... north america, africa, the middle east, india & southeast asia.

as much as bono is in love with africa, i don't see it. there aren't enough locations, other than perhaps south afria, where they could realisticly sell out a stadium. the mid-east and south-east asia is a tad volitile, so a show in, say, tel aviv again isn't exactly realistic, either. not in the current political climate. so where does that leave them to take the stadium gig? north america.

this rumor pretains to stadium gigs. if it were rumored arena shows, i would think europe would make the most sense because it's the biggest market yet to see the arena show. america is the biggest market yet to see the stadium show. thus it makes the most sense.

Ahh I see your point.... :)

andyuk said:
this won't happen as Adam is getting married in the middle of 2007 so can you honestly see him doing a big tour and getting married etc? i don't think so!

If Jeff Gordon can drag his second wife on a honeymoon to Nascar races, Adam could certainly find a way to bring his new bride on tour for a short spell.

martha said:
If I married Adam, I'd go with him. :shrug:

Hahahahaha!

I hope you marry Adam, Martha! I want to see U2 again in 2007!

(Now, how long will it be before newspapers around the world start spreading false rumors about Adam marrying Martha)

Back
Top Bottom