MERGED --> Anyone going to the Oakland shows (a few questions)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueStar

The Fly
Anyone going to the Oakland shows (a few questions)?

I have never been to this venue before. What is the GA line procedure like - anything particular I need to know? At what specific place does the GA line start? Since the parking lot, supposedly, doesn't open until a couple of hours before the show, where is a good spot to park your car?

I have another question about Oakland and the venues in general. Do they typically release tickets (GA's) the day of the concert, and what time might this typically happen? Thanks.

bcurt777 said:
I have another question about Oakland and the venues in general. Do they typically release tickets (GA's) the day of the concert, and what time might this typically happen? Thanks.

I think they do but the line at the box office starts early in the day (as it probably does at all the venues).

Re GA procedure, there really wasn't any during Elevation (besides what the fans did), the parking lot didn't open til late morning and they don't let you on the grounds until the lot opens (which means the "line" was made up of people in their cars jamming the entrance when I got there at about 11am or so). Also, once the venue doors opened, tons of people started cutting the line (staff paid no attention to the numbers fans had going nor did they hand out wrist bands). That was first show only, got there after they let everyone in for the second show so don't know if it had improved any.

Hopefully, they'll be better about it this time but likely not. I wish the shows were in San Jose again.

bratty_cat said:

Re GA procedure, there really wasn't any during Elevation (besides what the fans did), the parking lot didn't open til late morning and they don't let you on the grounds until the lot opens (which means the "line" was made up of people in their cars jamming the entrance when I got there at about 11am or so). Also, once the venue doors opened, tons of people started cutting the line (staff paid no attention to the numbers fans had going nor did they hand out wrist bands). That was first show only, got there after they let everyone in for the second show so don't know if it had improved any.

Hopefully, they'll be better about it this time but likely not. I wish the shows were in San Jose again.

Ugh. That does not sound good at all.

I was in the GA line for both the San Jose and Oakland Elevation shows, and Oakland was a mess. My buddy and I got there pretty early, and were like, #120-121 in line (somebody worked very hard to organize a numbering system), but were literally the last two into the heart.

I just called down to the arena box office, and the receptionist said there was no system yet, and to try calling back next week. I suggested instituting a wristband system like San Jose's. Y'all are welcome to try as well - the phone number is (510) 569-2121, then press "0" for operator. I figure that the more people call in and suggest, the more they'll listen.

mysticonnie said:
I just called down to the arena box office, and the receptionist said there was no system yet, and to try calling back next week. I suggested instituting a wristband system like San Jose's. Y'all are welcome to try as well - the phone number is (510) 569-2121, then press "0" for operator. I figure that the more people call in and suggest, the more they'll listen.

Good idea. I honestly doubt it will do any good (the vast majority of venues have no specific GA line procedure), but I'll give them a call nonetheless. I think, if anything, they would be more likely to open the area a few hours early (but, again, I actually that doubt that will happen either).

And now I'm being silly and slightly freaking out about all this. I'm going by myself and I paid over face value for my GA ticket (yeah, I know that is my problem and my fault). I was planning on getting there extra early, specifically so I could get a spot on the rail. Quite frankly, I am one of those people where if I can't get on the rail, I rather would not be GA.

Also, with regards to the numbering done by fans last time at Oakland, how did it work with some people coming by car, some people coming via BART, and so forth (I'm assuming that the numbering occured before the parking lot was opened)?

A few more stupid questions...

When they open the grounds, how many gates/entrances/whatever are there?

Are there any food places within walking distance?

I've never taken BART before, how safe is it to be riding it very very early in the morning (I assume it is all primarily commuters)?

How far is the BART station from the Oakland Arena? Can anyone post walking directions to the arena from the station?

BlueStar said:

Also, with regards to the numbering done by fans last time at Oakland, how did it work with some people coming by car, some people coming via BART, and so forth (I'm assuming that the numbering occured before the parking lot was opened)?

Or was it all just a rush from the cars to the entrance and then numbering began once people were in an actual line?

BlueStar said:

Or was it all just a rush from the cars to the entrance and then numbering began once people were in an actual line?

Fans started numbering outside the gate (before lot opened). Probably the first carful of people began and when I got there I just asked who was handling it and fans pointed the way. It was not hard to find. Once they opened the lot, people made their way in and lined up according to the fan assigned number. It went pretty smoothly.

I think there is only one entrance into the lot (although I believe they open more exits after the show)

I don't think there is any food within walking distance but I haven't been to a show there in a while (seeing Foo Fighters there tomorrow night so I'll look around). To be safe, I'd bring your own (water too). The only thing provided by the venue are nasty port-o-pottys (they were foul from the start).

BART is safe and there is a coliseum exit with an elevated walkway that takes you right to the stadium. Very easy, I used to take BART to shows all the time (I'd just call BART to confirm that the walkway to the coliseum is open early morning but can't imagine that it wouldn't be).

bratty_cat said:

Fans started numbering outside the gate (before lot opened). I don't think there is any food within walking distance but I haven't been to a show there in a while (seeing Foo Fighters there tomorrow night so I'll look around). To be safe, I'd bring your own (water too). The only thing provided by the venue are nasty port-o-pottys (they were foul from the start).

There's a Jack-In-The-Box at 532 Hegenberger, just south of the Coliseum parking lot. As far as walkable eats, that's about it.

bbison said:

There's a Jack-In-The-Box at 532 Hegenberger, just south of the Coliseum parking lot. As far as walkable eats, that's about it.

Thanks bbison. I was just there last night and I didn't even see it (but then I just drove the one block from the freeway exit to the parking lot entrance and ventured no further). Foo Fighters had GA floor and I saw arrows marked "ga" taped to the ground leading to the other side of the arena. I doubt they gave out wristbands (and FF GA was much different than GA at a U2 show).

Thanks bratty-cat and bbison.

I think I just might drive and park there. That way I can bring blankets, a cooler with drinks and food, and other such items to make the waiting in line all day a little easier.

what time does the box office generally open on the day of the show? i have tickets for the 8th, but i'm thinking about trying for the 9th too. not sure if i'm willing to wait in line all day though.

and also, any recommendations on hotels near the arena? i've never been there before so i don't really know what the area is like or if it's even a good idea to try to get a room somewhere around there. but if i end up going to the show on the 9th, i'll need to spend the night someplace.

thanks.

Here's a map of parking lots and BART. BART is really close - you just walk over the ramp to the arena. Someone said that they were going to start GA line off of parking lot C but don't know if that's been confirmed.

parking_map.gif

Thanks R8drgurl. If I'm reading the map right, the "fan" line started at the entrance off of 66th St (parking lot A) last year. Once they opened the lot, fans lined up on the "C" side in the order preassigned by fans. Guess we'll find out next week!

bratty_cat said:
Thanks R8drgurl. If I'm reading the map right, the "fan" line started at the entrance off of 66th St (parking lot A) last year. Once they opened the lot, fans lined up on the "C" side in the order preassigned by fans. Guess we'll find out next week!

There's an entrance by Lot C but no one used it last time and just lined up off of 66th??

On another forum, someone got an email from the arena saying that they would open gates 2 hours prior to concert and that there wouldn't be pre-sale vs. general-sale lines. Humm. Well if they can open 5 hours before kickoff for Raider games, they can certainly open earlier for concerts.

Oakland...Oakland...Oakland....should be interesting!

Also, on Ticketmaster you can buy parking passes. Do you get anything special if you buy these passes?

Last edited:
R8drgurl said:

There's an entrance by Lot C but no one used it last time and just lined up off of 66th??

On another forum, someone got an email from the arena saying that they would open gates 2 hours prior to concert and that there wouldn't be pre-sale vs. general-sale lines. Humm. Well if they can open 5 hours before kickoff for Raider games, they can certainly open earlier for concerts.

Oakland...Oakland...Oakland....should be interesting!

Also, on Ticketmaster you can buy parking passes. Do you get anything special if you buy these passes?

OK, just noticed I said "last year" when I meant 4 years ago LOL (it seems like last year I guess).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the line of waiting cars was off of 66th cause when I entered the lot, the coliseum was to my left and the arena to my right (seems right when I look at the map). Maybe there will be multiple entrances opening simultaneously. Hopefully we'll get some info before Tuesday, if not shouldn't be too hard to find the crowd of people waiting.

Re pre-sale of parking passes, don't know that you really get anything special. It probably guarantees you a spot if the lots are full. There is some street parking around the arena if you get there early enough.

BlueStar said:
A few more stupid questions...

I've never taken BART before, how safe is it to be riding it very very early in the morning (I assume it is all primarily commuters)?

BART is completely safe. It is a commuter train system and most of the people you'll be riding with in the morning will be wearing suits. Now Oakland's a different story :D. You'll be completely fine walking to and from the arena though. I just wouldn't go wandering around the rest of Oakland if you don't know where you are going. If you do make sure to bring a gun and some crack. :wink:

Just got this email about the show:

3) If you purchased a GENERAL ADMISSION FLOOR TICKET for either night, the GA floor line will form at the SOUTH TUNNEL of the Arena near parking lot "G" (consult attached map). You MUST enter through the south tunnel if you are in possession of a GA Floor ticket. Note: I do not have any additional information regarding these lines. Please direct any additional questions to the guest services personnel that will be staffed that evening at the south tunnel.

4) The U2 concerts begin at 7:30 pm. The Arena will open doors at 6:00 pm. We expect a full house each night, so please arrive early and allow extra time to compensate for area traffic and to ensure parking will be available

konakitty said:
Just got this email about the show:

3) If you purchased a GENERAL ADMISSION FLOOR TICKET for either night, the GA floor line will form at the SOUTH TUNNEL of the Arena near parking lot "G" (consult attached map). You MUST enter through the south tunnel if you are in possession of a GA Floor ticket. Note: I do not have any additional information regarding these lines. Please direct any additional questions to the guest services personnel that will be staffed that evening at the south tunnel.

Map with parking lot "G":

http://www.coliseum.com/pdfs/oakland-alameda_county_arena_coliseum_map.pdf

Last edited:
Oakland Arena GA Policy

if anyone finds out the policy for GA at Oakland Arena on Tuesday and Wednesday please post here. i hope they do it like they did in San Jose on 1st leg where you get a numbered wristband when you show up in the morning so you can leave and then come back around 5:30pm to line up in your numbers. i've tried calling the arena but it was all automated.

I took BART last time. Rode it to the station, and walked to the arena. I felt completely safe. It is very conveniently located next to the arena. The nice thing was most of the people on the train were taking it to the concert, so us two girls felt safe. Of course we didn't venture into any other part of Oakland!

Thanks to everyone here for providing the information they had. I have a few more questions. if anyone could answer:

1. What time do you advise getting to the Coliseum to get in line for GA?

2. Are they going to do the random lottery wristband thing for the ellipse just like they have done at other venues?

Thanks muchos.

This was in an email I got from through the concert club thing.

If you purchased a GENERAL ADMISSION FLOOR TICKET for either night, the GA floor line will form at the SOUTH TUNNEL of the Arena near parking lot "G" (consult attached map). You MUST enter through the south tunnel if you are in possession of a GA Floor ticket. Note: I do not have any additional information regarding these lines. Please direct any additional questions to the guest services personnel that will be staffed that evening at the south tunnel.

The U2 concerts begin at 7:30 pm. The Arena will open doors at 6:00 pm. We expect a full house each night, so please arrive early and allow extra time to compensate for area traffic and to ensure parking will be available.

I have a couple more questions as well. For those of you driving, what time are you showing up? From what I've read, no one knows when the parking lot is going to open yet...? Is there a place to wait if the parking lot is still closed when you arrive? Thanks!

If the arena parking lots aren't open , will the ramp thing from the BART station to the arena be open? In other words, until the parking lots are open, are we even able to gain access to anywhere around the arena?

I am still so torn as to whether or not to drive or take the BART. I plan on getting there very early and I do not know which is the better option given that I plan on getting there early. I am going to be coming all by myself, so walking from the BART station to the arena that early in the morning is a little daunting. Ugh.

The walk isn't that bad man. We all talk about Oakland like it's the most unsafe place in the world, but it's not Chechnya. Even if the ramp thing is closed walk on the sidewalks. It's not that bad around the arena.

Back
Top Bottom