Let me tell you about Adelaide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrotflowers

The Fly
Adelaide is an extremely conservative city. Night life pretty much does not exist. The city is small and scattered with some very unusual people. The main feature of my city is 2 large round silver balls in Rundle Mall (also known as the 'malls balls'). There are a few little gems tucked away down alley ways and parking lots - like the cool retro store off of rundle street that has the coolest record collection ever!! and then there's Big Star records which has a vast selection of very cool music. Apart from that though, it's pretty insignificant and kind of a joke (in Australia anyway). Everyone talks about the Sydney shows or the Melbourne shows or the Brisbane show but most people forget little old Adelaide. Most people forget that U2 did THE best ZooTV Australian concert of the tour in Adelaide IMO.

My point is... well, this is huge for our little city. It's hard to imagine the biggest and best band in the world actually being here. It just doesn't seem right. I hope the boys don't see Adelaide and think 'hmmmm, what a pathetic little place, let's just rest up for our next big show and don't push too hard'. Although they certainly didn't do that with ZooTV.

The truth is, this city is going to erupt on the 16th of November, even U2 will be surprised at the noise we make. For ONE night of the year, my little city will be the most exciting place on earth, it will be graced with the presence of 4 of the most relevant people on this earth, Larry, Edge, Adam and of course, Bono.

Watch out for my youtube clips and my exstensive review of the most significant show in the most insignificant place on earth on this forum!!!

Last edited:
That is awesome - thanks for sharing your excitement! I'll be watching for your clips - have a great time.

For fuck's sake mate, Adelaide doesn't suck THAT much!!!! We've lived through U2 concerts before, we'll survive this one. :wink:

(and in my personal opinion, the first Adelaide Lovetown show pisses all over Zoo :yes: )

Well I will be seeing U2 live for the first time in Adelaide, looking forward to it very much. :drool: :drool: And about Adelaide, I can think of worse places to live. Yes it may behind the big cities, but oh well I am still lucky that I have a roof over my head, getting a good education in UNI, I am healthy, have friends and a caring family. I cant complain, there a lot of people in third world countries that cant say the same. :sad: :sad: However saying that as I am studying Software Engineering at Uni, I might have to move to Melbourne or Sydney anyway as thats where the career opportunities are. U2 isn't my only interest, South Australia is a mad Aussie rules football state. So I love going down to West Lakes and watching the Crows every second week. We have arguably the best second tier Aussie Rules Competition in the country, SANFL >> VFL, WAFL. Then theres Adelaide United our A-League team. Theres the cricket in the summer at Adelaide Oval and heading down to the beach with mates. Clipsal 500, Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under in the early part of each year and the Skyshow. Of course not everyone is into the same things. But the main point is I have no problem occuyping myself with things to do. :wink:

Last edited:
it doesn't need to be like a big city because it's not. it's a nice city - peaceful, small - it's lucky to get u2 - am going to the concert and i think it'll rock!!!

Gees Carrotflowers...Adelaide is not all that bad. I've lived here all my 32 years, and used to think it was dull, conservative etc...but anywhere is what you make it!
Give me my lovely 3 bedroom house in the suburbs, surrounded by gum trees that didn't cost me a fortune... compare that to probably never actually owning your own home in the eastern states.
I love my Adelaide Crows, I love the beautiful hot summers, I love our great wines and wonderful restaurants. I love Glenelg, I love crusing the adelaide hills. And I agree with adambk - there is nothing on earth like spending Australia Day at the most beautiful cricket oval in the world...Adelaide Oval!:happy:
As for no night life...guess it all depends what you're after, but Adelaide has some wonderful old pubs, great to sit down with friends and discuss the worlds issues over a Coopers Pale Ale!
:p
So anyway, i could keep on going here, but Adelaide is not insignificant, and those of us who live here and make our lives here are not insignificant. Go move east if you don't like it.
And bring on November 16 - I can guarantee that U2 won't let us down, they didn't in 1993, or 1989 (which I personally think was the greatest show ever seen in little old Adelaide!!)
Cheers
Mandy

Adelaide, while small next to the bigger eastern cities, has a calmness that other cities dream of having.

I lived there for 5 years and it has a great sense of community that you can't get in bigger cities. Plus we are desperate to have entertainment, that it goes OFF when big things (and you can't get bigger then u2!) come

I am heartbroken i have to sell my ticket and not go! :(

Adelaide is a beautiful city. As an Urban and Regional Planning student (and having visited every other capital city in Australia), it poops all over the other ones. Seriously.

Perth gives us a run for our money, but it's all the way OVER THERE, kinda annoying. Oh, and the night-life is existent and good, unless your thought of night-life involves looking at model trains from the 1800's.

Back
Top Bottom