How to get Tokyo tickets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll take in my camera... I'll post the info about security later... Now have to leave for the concert!!!! It's our first U2 concert!!!! So glad!!!

Cameras were not a problem for me or anyone else that I saw.

I wish I was going to other two shows but I'm at Narita on my way back to Saipan.

It was a brilliant night!

U2shanghai, prepare your wife. It's pretty rough near the front. Tell her to plant her feet and hold on for dear life!

maycocksean said:
Cameras were not a problem for me or anyone else that I saw.

I wish I was going to other two shows but I'm at Narita on my way back to Saipan.

It was a brilliant night!

U2shanghai, prepare your wife. It's pretty rough near the front. Tell her to plant her feet and hold on for dear life!

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your message。 I‘ll make sure my wife enjoys her first U2 show ever!
Thanks for the info on the camera, I will bring it with me。
Have a safe trip back

Sean, thanks for all of this info, and have a safe trip home. :)

Caty_ni, how was tonight? Surprise closing with All I Want is You.

Shanghai, I hope to see you on Monday. I'll be chatting it up with fans with the peace cranes for ONE. It'll be cool to cross paths.

Who else will be there on Monday?

It was awesome!!! I just love U2. We enjoyed it very much, I brought in my camera... took some good pictsand some small videos... wasn't very close though.

I was wondering with what they were going to close 'cause they performed OTH, One and WOWY... It was a very nice surprise, and I was wondering what had happened with the new songs, because they played WITS in the encore.... :huh:

U2shanghai, U can take it in but be sure to conceal it for they not to see it, they just quick check purses and bags... and ask U if have a camera... hehehe. But it is easy to get one inside.. at the bottom af a bag. :wink:

maycocksean said:
sanjay what happened to you? You:re the only one of the Interference folks we never found.

First of all I want to say that this was easily the best U2 show I have seen. It was almost a greatest hits set and probably intended in light of the U218 release - I was looking at the set list only yesterday of Aus/NZ and this was far and away better than all of them except for one night in Melbourne. HTDAAB songs were reduced to the best 3, then man oh man did the hits come in... SBS, Bad (oh my god I couldn' believe it), WOWY and to top off a mad night up front, One tree hill. I had goosebumps literally, tears came to my eyes. Haven't heard that since I was a teenager at the Joshua Tree show in Toronto... did they even play it then? I don't know, but it really capped a most incredible night. The visuals, Bono's messages, crowd participation and most of all the energy of the crowd. I was up front for as long as I could (for about 1.5 hrs) then stepped back a few rows. I'll never forget it.

Sean, 4U2 etc, there was alot of confusion as you may have seen outside when they were calling numbers. Throngs of people waiting for their numbers. And then outside Gate W1 (where we skipped in front of 400 people as we walked along the road!) was chaotic again. My brother said that he might have seen you Sean (we were 4 people sitting basically from 630 - 730 way up front until Wake Up flooded the arena and the crowd began their push). Anyway, glad you ALL enjoyed it... beyond words for me.
Peace out.

Caty_ni said:
It was awesome!!! I just love U2. We enjoyed it very much, I brought in my camera... took some good pictsand some small videos... wasn't very close though.

I was wondering with what they were going to close 'cause they performed OTH, One and WOWY... It was a very nice surprise, and I was wondering what had happened with the new songs, because they played WITS in the encore.... :huh:

U2shanghai, U can take it in but be sure to conceal it for they not to see it, they just quick check purses and bags... and ask U if have a camera... hehehe. But it is easy to get one inside.. at the bottom af a bag. :wink:

Hi Caty,

Thanks for the precious info. Camera will be at the bottom of my bag, or at the bottom of something else. Anyway it will be brought in and if lucky enough I will be very close to the stage and shoot, shoot and shoot!
Can anyone describe the waiting lines at the will-call? Any suggestion for the time of arrival? I would like to picture the way they manage waiting lines, if they really go by the number assigned on the ticket.
I am planning to be there at noon, more for the fun of it than to secure a good spot in the line. But I'd like to make sure it will not be too late.
Thanks in advance guys!
Fragrant, I'll be with my wife and a friend, all 3 caucasians. My head is shaved, and I am in the 1,030s in the line, block A!
Then once inside I will be the one yelling for 2 hours, asking for Bad, Please and Two Heart as beat as one... :)

U2shanghai said:

I am in the 1,030s in the line, block A!
Then once inside I will be the one yelling for 2 hours, asking for Bad, Please and Two Heart as beat as one... :)

ONE TIP... these reference numbers are merely a guide so as to get the people into the arena in an orderly fashion - a lot of people moved much before their number was called and they had no problem. The way it works is that they call your number outside Gate A. You are then guided down the side steps of the stadium onto street level and you basically have to walk the length of the stadium to get to Gate W1 to enter for GA. So I suggest when they call no. 800 or so, start moving. And when you get to the bottom of the steps, don't walk along the sidewalk, walk along the road. You'll cut a few hundred people that way and end up at the beginning of the queue, but just on the side. Work your way in (which is easy) and if you have a Block A ticket, you'll be fine. That's how we got to 3rd row with a 1000+ ticket.

sanjaysakhrani said:

ONE TIP... these reference numbers are merely a guide so as to get the people into the arena in an orderly fashion - a lot of people moved much before their number was called and they had no problem. The way it works is that they call your number outside Gate A. You are then guided down the side steps of the stadium onto street level and you basically have to walk the length of the stadium to get to Gate W1 to enter for GA. So I suggest when they call no. 800 or so, start moving. And when you get to the bottom of the steps, don't walk along the sidewalk, walk along the road. You'll cut a few hundred people that way and end up at the beginning of the queue, but just on the side. Work your way in (which is easy) and if you have a Block A ticket, you'll be fine. That's how we got to 3rd row with a 1000+ ticket.

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks a lot for the precious tip. I'll be following your suggestion and hopefully we will end up somewhere in the 3rd row or so.
I just can't wait anymore, my flight leaves tomorrow morning at 8h50!
I might see you soon in HK, you'll find me at either Finds, D-I, Volar or Drop. You'll be more than welcome for a glass of champagne if we ever meet in those places :)

sanjaysakhrani said:

Hi Sanjay, sorry to bother again. What time would you suggest we arrive at the Will-Call window?
Thanks in advance!

sanjaysakhrani said:

My brother said that he might have seen you Sean (we were 4 people sitting basically from 630 - 730 way up front until Wake Up flooded the arena and the crowd began their push). Anyway, glad you ALL enjoyed it... beyond words for me.
Peace out.

Damn! I knew that was you! I saw the four of you sitting right behind me and I wondered, is that Sanjay? I should have said something! Fer Castillo and 4U2 were just a few feet to our right.

Course once wake up started I never saw you again. I remember hoping you guys got to your feet in time! Is it always that crazy down in front at U2 shows or was this unique to Tokyo?

Caty_ni said:

Appreciate your clarification there Caty. . .I didn't know they were checking bags and what not. Because I came in through the VIP access they didn't do any checking or anything. Me, being such a total newbie at all this, had no idea cameras were not allowed. Lord knows they were EVERYWHERE during the show. It's probably a good thing I didn't know because I'm the sort of person who would have dutifully not brought mine and what a mistake that would have been. I've got some great shots of when Bono came down to the barricade during "Bad." Unbelievable! And I filmed about a minute and a half of "I Still Haven't Found" (which then used up all my memory and I spent the rest of the night frantically trying to find pictures to delete right in the middle of the show so that I could take more pics).

Man, I can't wait till they tour again!

U2shanghai said:

Hi Sanjay, sorry to bother again. What time would you suggest we arrive at the Will-Call window?
Thanks in advance!

No worries. The Will Call pick up is actually very easy - there was noone in line when I got there at about 5pm, so you can go at any time before I would say 545pm. They start calling the numbers before 6 actually - like 550pm. And there is no need to line up beforehand - alot of the people were standing dutifully in the queues, but there is a sign that is posted which is very clear - No First Line- First In - ie. just make sure you are gathered around the guy with the microphone and you should be fine. Have a good one! It was an incredible experience!

U2shanghai said:

Hi Caty,

Thanks for the precious info. Camera will be at the bottom of my bag, or at the bottom of something else. Anyway it will be brought in and if lucky enough I will be very close to the stage and shoot, shoot and shoot!
Can anyone describe the waiting lines at the will-call? Any suggestion for the time of arrival? I would like to picture the way they manage waiting lines, if they really go by the number assigned on the ticket.
I am planning to be there at noon, more for the fun of it than to secure a good spot in the line. But I'd like to make sure it will not be too late.
Thanks in advance guys!
Fragrant, I'll be with my wife and a friend, all 3 caucasians. My head is shaved, and I am in the 1,030s in the line, block A!

If you are plannig to buy some t-shirts or souvenirs, I suggest to go like 3 or 4 pm... there is a row for buying, and is better if you do it before the concert (last night after the concert it was very CROWDED) and take cash they don't accept credit cards...
As for the pictures once inside there is no problem... besides japanese take a lot of pictures too... hehehe

I managed to record some video and take a lot of pictures, I was not so close but they seem to be fine... I am checking what I got on video and the pictures...
be sure to take a lot of memory for the pictures and an extra battery!!! Didn't get an extra battery and run out of power recording WITS :sad:

Enjoy the show!!!

However, if you guys want to buy merchandise - the queue is insane. Again, I managed to weasle my way in w/o waiting. At the Will Call ticket window side there is a guy ushering people out of the merchandise sales area. Try and sneak in around him - my brother got caught, but I got in later. That will save you about 2 hrs waiting in line.

sanjaysakhrani said:
However, if you guys want to buy merchandise - the queue is insane. Again, I managed to weasle my way in w/o waiting. At the Will Call ticket window side there is a guy ushering people out of the merchandise sales area. Try and sneak in around him - my brother got caught, but I got in later. That will save you about 2 hrs waiting in line.

Yes... the row for buying merchandise if awful, we got there early... and were like the 20th in the row... a couple of friends got there by 3pm and were the first ones.. but its fine because after that you can go have a coffee or just sightseeing... its nice around the Arena. :camera:

Caty_ni said:

If you are plannig to buy some t-shirts or souvenirs, I suggest to go like 3 or 4 pm... there is a row for buying, and is better if you do it before the concert (last night after the concert it was very CROWDED) and take cash they don't accept credit cards...

Ah, the no credit card thing KILLED me. I have NO souvenir from my first U2 show ever besides my ticket and my VIP pass. If anyone's got an extra t-shirt they'd like to sell me from the Japan show, I'd pay handsomely for it. As it was I blew 3200 on a U218 Videos DVD and barely had enough money to get back to the airport in Narita.

On another note I'd add there's no point in getting there at 12. I was there at 12 and NO ONE was around. I walked up to Omiya Park and that was gorgeous. Sublime.

Even when I got back to the arena around 3:45 or so, there was nothing to do until 5:30 unless you were waiting in line to buy stuff.

maycocksean said:

Ah, the no credit card thing KILLED me. I have NO souvenir from my first U2 show ever besides my ticket and my VIP pass. If anyone's got an extra t-shirt they'd like to sell me from the Japan show, I'd pay handsomely for it. As it was I blew 3200 on a U218 Videos DVD and barely had enough money to get back to the airport in Narita.

On another note I'd add there's no point in getting there at 12. I was there at 12 and NO ONE was around. I walked up to Omiya Park and that was gorgeous. Sublime.

Even when I got back to the arena around 3:45 or so, there was nothing to do until 5:30 unless you were waiting in line to buy stuff.

Yes, the no Credit Card is bad... The first concert I went in here was REM... and we didn't brought that much money... so we only bought a pair of t-shirts, so this time we made sure we had money... :huh: here in Japan there
are a lot of stores and restaurants that don't accept cards...

I was doing the line for souvenirs and finished there like 5pm...and we were there around 3.15pm

Hi Guys,

Man, what an amazing time we're all having here in Tokyo..

... met Fer Castillo and Maycocksean at the first show, and we all ended up on the front rail directly in front of Adam.

I saw Fer at Tokyo 2 again, and we both ended up on the front rail, this time between Bono and Adam.

As Sean mentioned earlier, the crowd down there is really rowdy, so expect to sweat a lot and get your ribs pulverized from getting pressed against the front fence. No need to worry about peeing, since you'll be sweating out every last ounce of body liquid instead.

Cameras are no problem, just be sure to put them in your pockets when you enter, since you won't get frisked.

Tonight, U2 did a live performance from the top of the TV Asahi building next to their hotel (they are not staying at the Park Hyatt Hotel, hint hint).

They played Vertigo and WITS, and about 50 of us fans showed up to meet them as they entered the building, then listened from the street below as they played. We tried to get in to see the performance up close, but it was a closed set.

It looked really amazing on the TV monitors we were watching in the building lobby, with the lit up Tokyo skyline in the background.... I'm hoping someone here in Japan recorded it on their DVR and will share it someday.

Before U2 did the performance, B, E and A appeared at a function at their hotel that had something to do with World AIDS day today. Myself and two other English fans that I'm hanging out with were up there when they left the meeting, and Adam came over to us after recognizing us from the previous two nights on rail in front of him.

He spent a good five minutes chatting with us, asking us all sorts of questions and being really cool and friendly. I've become a major Adam-fan now, what a great guy.

One of the best things about being here is meeting some of the most hardcore U2 fans from all over the world. All of them are really good people, very friendly and intelligent (except for a couple of well-known fans from America who I thougt were good people, but who ended up totally burning me on a $90 ticket and then acted like complete jackasses towards me afterwards... apparently, their reputations preceded them, but I guess I was too naive!).

Maycocksean is this really great guy who I really didn't get a chance to hang with, since he took off the next day. I'm hoping to see him again at shows on the next tour.

Fer Castillo is Mexico's U2 Fan Numero Uno, what a cool dude. He was at the TV performance tonight, too, and met the band when they went inside the building.

Haven't yet met anyone else from this thread, yet, but I'll be meeting up with Bratty Cat on Monday, and will be on the lookout for Fragant that day, too.

I have loads of really amazing photos from both shows, plus a bunch of video clips shot from the front row. I'll post the photo link sometime soon, but I'll hold off on uploading the video clips until I can match them up with the audio recordings .

See you all on Monday!

Last edited:
Hey maycocksean,

Tell me which U2 t-shirt you want, and I'll send it to you. Did I give you my email address?

On Monday, I plan on getting in line for the souvenirs before it gets too long (I know, it sounds unbelievable that a thousand fans line up for U2 stuff before and after the show, but that's what happens when you only have one souvenir stand open for what is obviously an amazingly high demand).

THANKS 4U2Play!!!
We were about to go to the Park Hyatt... Yesterday was a busy day...
We didn't know about the TV presentation, my brother called me when it was being broadcasted.... so didn't have time to record it... So please!! If somebody can share it will be great...
Hope we can see them!!! I'm heading now to Roppongi...

4U2Play said:
Hey maycocksean,

Tell me which U2 t-shirt you want, and I'll send it to you. Did I give you my email address?

On Monday, I plan on getting in line for the souvenirs before it gets too long (I know, it sounds unbelievable that a thousand fans line up for U2 stuff before and after the show, but that's what happens when you only have one souvenir stand open for what is obviously an amazingly high demand).

Nick, wow, I'm humbled. Thanks so much for being willing to send a t-shirt my way. I liked the black ones with the Vertigo Japan on the back but to be honest, any t-shirt from the Japan shows is fine.I don't have your e-mail address, but you can pm it to me and I'll give you my mailing address and whatnot. Also please give me your mailing address and how much you'd like for the t-shirt and I can send you a check. Or we can work it through paypal or something like that.

I'm deeply indebted and grateful!

Looking forward to the next round of tours as well. I will be there!

(I'm still kicking myself that I didn't plan to stay in Japan through the weekend! Ah well. . .enjoy the third show)

Hi guys!!

Great reports!!! Thanks for all the tips too.

I arrived yesterday afternoon and heading out to meet some U2 friends for a night out. We had a blast, and I'm more than psyched about being here for U2!!

Nick and Fer Castillo, maybe you saw my friends at the TV station. Carly from Australia, and Ray and Chie who live here in Japan. I'll have to ask them if they had a chance to meet you.

I really can't wait until tomorrow for the show. The whole crane deal is going to be hard to pull off considering that there isn't one GA line to chat with fans and pass them out. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Fragrant!

Maybe you could pass out the cranes in the line at the merchandise stand?

And I think you should make a sign: "I came all the way from the Gulf Coast to hear SAINTS!"

Hope you have an awesome night!

Hello nightsong!

You are awesome! Thank you!

I shared your crane story tonight with a Japanese family member and also a Japanese friend who is folding. They were floored.

We're going to do our best to get it out to folks waiting for the GA sections around 5:30 pm. Supposedly that's the only assemblance of a line so it could have potential.

Thank you so much.

Peace and smiles.

4U2Play said:
Hey maycocksean,

4U2,
I hate to impose but if you could pick up one more shirt -- anything that says U2 and Japan on it especially if it has kana lettering (in XL)-- I'd be thrilled, since I lived in Japan and love U2. Of course I'll reimburse and I would be happy to send you my Fedex number so it's no cost to you to ship it. If you're already bogged down with requests, I completely understand. Thanks!

Dear All,

I am back from my fantastic weekend in Tokyo.
I had been many times to the city for work, it's only the second time I was there for fun only.
The show has overcome any of my expectations. The only "disappointing" moment was the last song, an encore of Vertigo when I was praying for OTH or All I want is you. But for all the rest, it was a blast.
I was very impressed by the quality of the sound. Last show that had such a good quality for me was Paris/Bercy in 1989...
Very clear, powerful but not noisy, perfect! Apart from echo problems on a couple of songs which were solved very quickly by the console.

The organization was very good as well, very calm and polite people all the way, including the security.
Our tickets were GA in the 1000's, but thanks to several tips we gathered from people who attended the first 2 shows, we could easily walk in with the first ones, and this is what we did. To our surprise, they started to call the numbers, 10 by 10... But it only lasted 10 minutes as they quickly realized it would be a nightmare for all of us. And this is how we entered the A block among the first ones.

We had 2 choices, going in the Elipse, or right outside, but still in the front. My wife is not very fond of crowds, and we opted for the second solution and I am very happy we did. Perfect view, Bono who had decided to spend more time with us, Adam who would walk back and forth right there. Only Edge did not show up, but I can't blame him as he was rather busy on the other side.
I would recommend this spot to anyone going to Hawai, proximity with the band without the severe pushing.

Well, that's it for my little report.
Fragrant, I guess we "met" if you were the one distributing the cranes, together with a French guy.

I will not wait another 13 years to see the band live again :)

U2shanghai said:

We had 2 choices, going in the Elipse, or right outside, but still in the front. My wife is not very fond of crowds, and we opted for the second solution and I am very happy we did.

Wise choice. I think that's what I would do next time--though I'm glad I was in the ellipse this time, I think I'd want to see the next show from a different perspective.

U2shanghai said:
I will not wait another 13 years to see the band live again :)

Me neither!

Back
Top Bottom