Help/Advice Getting From Philly to NY after the 22nd May show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UKTan

War Child
I'm travelling to NY for the May 21st show and was thinking of trying to get to Philly for the 22nd show too (if I can get tickets). Problem is, my flight home is at 8.30am on 23rd. I can get down to Philly ok, but I'm a bit concerned about getting back to NY again in time for my flight.

I checked out Amtrak and saw there is a train that goes from Philly to Penn St Station just after midnight, but I'm not sure I'm that comfortable travelling alone at that time of night. Would I be mad to do that journey or is it relatively safe?

Or does anyone know if there is any sort of transportation being laid on specifically to take fans to and from the show that I could sign up for? (I'm sort of assuming here (rightly or wrongly) that alot of fans from NY area are also going to Philly).

Basically, I guess I'm just after any info/help that can get me to & from Philly in time to be at JFK airport at some ungodly hour on 23rd :D

Thanks in advance.
Tanya

UKTan said:
I'm travelling to NY for the May 21st show and was thinking of trying to get to Philly for the 22nd show too (if I can get tickets). Problem is, my flight home is at 8.30am on 23rd. I can get down to Philly ok, but I'm a bit concerned about getting back to NY again in time for my flight.

I checked out Amtrak and saw there is a train that goes from Philly to Penn St Station just after midnight, but I'm not sure I'm that comfortable travelling alone at that time of night. Would I be mad to do that journey or is it relatively safe?

Or does anyone know if there is any sort of transportation being laid on specifically to take fans to and from the show that I could sign up for? (I'm sort of assuming here (rightly or wrongly) that alot of fans from NY area are also going to Philly).

Basically, I guess I'm just after any info/help that can get me to & from Philly in time to be at JFK airport at some ungodly hour on 23rd :D

Thanks in advance.
Tanya

Amtrak is probably a pretty good option to go - plus its only like a $50 fare one way from Philly to New York Penn Station. You could take a cab from Penn Station straight to the airport once you got there. The only other option I can think of is to take the bus which is cheaper ($26 round trip on Greyhound I think), but I can guarantee you that the train is a safer option than that. NYC really is pretty safe at night because there's always people around. Don't know that much about how Philly is.

I'm actually thinking about doing something similar between the 10/14 NYC and 10/16 Philly shows.

Last edited:
I actually have the same question/dilemma. I'm flying in to catch the NY show and have decided to try to get tickets for Philly as well. My plane, however, leaves at 6AM on the 23rd. I plan on taking the greyhound back..i just hope that the station isn't too far away from the arena. Where are you staying in NY?

Well...maybe we could all meet up & travel via bus/train together??...safety in numbers and all that :)

I'm staying at the Milford Plaza, which if memory serves correctly, is sort of Times Sq area. I get into NY 20th and will be hanging around MSG all day 21st so maybe we could meet up & make travelling arrangements for Philly?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

I get in on the 20th also but will be at Shea Stadium that night so Saturday would be best.

a greyhound ticket doesn't gaurantee a seat... if the bus is filled, you may have to wait for the next bus. the bus isn't likely to be filled, but if you're on a tight schedule as far as getting back to the airport, you may want to consider this.

also... amtrak and/or greyhound are both as safe as any sort of mass transit system could be. so i wouldn't be concearned with safety on either.

if i were you guys--i would take amtrack.
like headache said, greyhound can bump you if it is full.
plus, greyhound goes into the port authority, which i find a pretty sketchy area, particularly late at night.
if you take the train, you can get right into penn station and then there will be plenty of cabs outside penn station you can take to JFK.
i think the set rate for a cab from manhattan to JFK is $45 plus tips and tolls.

As a woman who usually travels on her own and has done NYC many times, it`s true that the Port Authority area is a bit "dodgy" (for you brits!) at night but it`s not THAT bad. I still walk around on my own and feel relatively safe doing so.

You might want to check out http://www.airtran.com/ and see if they have a flight that will take you to the airport where you need to take your other flight - I bought a ticket from Philly to Boston yesterday for $44USD!!!!

Last edited:
Actually, it was hanging around Philly for an hour or so after that I was bothered about...I know Penn St. and the general area really well, so will walk from there back to my hotel, its only on 39th Street.

But...if the three of us are paying $150 bucks for a train ride, maybe someone who is driving can make a quick $75 and get some company on the way back:wink:

timessquare.jpg

the port authority bus terminal is a block away from times square... it may not look very "glitzy" but it's perfectly safe. just walk towards times square when you leave the building. there's probably more cops in and around that area then there are in the entire city of wherever you're comming from.

i recomend amtrak just because it takes away the risk that you'll be bumped.

as for getting from penn to amtrak, you could either take the cab with the flat rate, or you can take the LIRR from Penn to Jamaica, then take AirTrain from Jamaica to JFK..

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

only issue with taking the train from Penn to JFK is the time issue... so checke the schedules ahead of time, and if you have plenty of time, take the LIRR // AirTrain combo and it'll probably save ya a good 30 bucks, as well as not having to smell the cabbie

Or you could take the Chinatown bus from Philly to NY: http://www.2000coach.com/phillynewyork.html

The boarding and drop off stations are diff. from Greyhound though. This is cheaper, but I'm assuming Greyhound has more options as far as departure times are concerned.

Haven't read the site fully, but I'm taking this from NY to Philly on the 22nd, and Amtrak from Philly to DC on the 23rd at 6am...and straight to the office. :crazy:

Thanks to everyone for their advice/links & info. Personally, I think the Amtrak option seems most workable for me (in the absence of sharing a ride that is :)). I feel better now about the safety side of it too. Hell, I survived Vancouver 2 GA...I can cope with an Amtrak train :wink:

Now...all I need is a ticket to the show :huh:

KBRY, I'll probably be camped outside the box office window at MSG...I have nosebleed tickets already, but I'm hoping that they might put some GA's on sale on the day. If you want to meet up and make arrangements for the trip back from Philly, you can probably find me there...or email me @ u2fan12000@yahoo.co.uk and we can make more specific arrangements.

Thanks again to everyone, may all your GA tickets be beeping ones :)

Last edited:
Like others have stated - you could take Amtrak. If the expense is too much, you could take NJ Transit from New York's Penn Station to Trenton, NJ. Then catch the a SEPTA train. The train will take you to Suburban Station. Then you can take the train to take you to the Stadiums in Philly. Since you will be taking "local trains" it will take you 2 1/2 hours.

From NY to Trenton about 1 and 15 minutes (if no delays).
From Trenton to Suburban Station Station - 1 hour (if no delays).
Then walk to the Subway at City Hall and take the subway to Pattison Avenue - 11 minutes (if no delays)

Check out these sites for info.

NJ Transit

SEPTA
Check Regional and Subway Lines

Not a quick way to travel, but if you are worried about expenses - a possibility. :rolleyes:

Now...all I need is a ticket to the show :huh:

I didn't realise you haven't got a ticket!You do mean the 5/22 show? I have a spare GA for face value if you want it?

KBRY said:

I didn't realise you haven't got a ticket!You do mean the 5/22 show? I have a spare GA for face value if you want it?

a spare GA for 22/5??????:shocked:

OMG...I would so totally rip your arm off for that, alternatively...I could give you money :D

Please, let me know...you could become an instant hero :)

Thanks
Tanya

OK, it's yours! I like my arms so it'll have to be cash, I'm afraid...:wink:

When I read your original post I thought you meant you had to find tix for MSG!

We can exchange it in NY as, if Pedro is pitching on the Sunday, I won't get to Philly until early evening.

KBRY said:
OK, it's yours! I like my arms so it'll have to be cash, I'm afraid...:wink:

When I read your original post I thought you meant you had to find tix for MSG!

We can exchange it in NY as, if Pedro is pitching on the Sunday, I won't get to Philly until early evening.

Thats fantastic....thank you sooo much :D :dancing:

If poss, could you email me so we can arrange a convenient time/place (obv MSG lol) to meet, oh, and also let me know how much you want for the ticket u2fan12000@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again
Tanya

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom