Hawaii show - ellipse policy? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Hawaii show - ellipse policy?

I was just wondering, what will be the method of determining who gets into the ellipse for the Hawaii show. Will it be like the US shows where it is random or will it be first come, first served? I have heard conflicting information based on the fact it is an large venue show and not a smaller arena show. Does anyone know?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Refugee

Location: I'm lost between the midnight and the dawning escaping myself and gravity
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Stadium shows do not have an ellipse so you will not have to worry about the ellipse lottery.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:25 AM
I am not a Premium member...that is why I cannot get any PM's...I think you will just have to email me
Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Refugee

Location: I'm lost between the midnight and the dawning escaping myself and gravity
Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan
I am not a Premium member...that is why I cannot get any PM's...I think you will just have to email me
Yeah, I realized that later on. I'll email you
Old 01-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Stadium GA=camp out in line and fight for your spot.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by u2forlife
Yeah, I realized that later on. I'll email you

I will IM tonight

I heard it is a much better view in the staduim vs. arena when you have GA?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Thanks to all for your input. What about the Mexico, Australia and Japan shows, will they be stadium or arena shows? I really want to see one or two more shows, but I have heard some not so good things about stadium shows versus arena shows. I don't mind being GA if I am fairly close, but I don't want to be 200 yards from the stage. I like to be in the ellipse (who doesn't). After you have been there, all other seats or locations pale in comparison.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I agree russmadem...It is GA or nothing for me too!!! I have never been to staduim show before I wonder how is the view compared to the arena?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:25 PM
GA-wise, if you stand in line, it's heaven.
If you look behind you, you see 50-80.000 fans, and you're in front of all of them. Look forward, and you're as up and close and personal as you would've been at an arena shows. You'll love it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 AM
The rest of the shows will all be stadiums, and that means no more lottery. First come first serve for all.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
Blue Crack Overdose

Now the question is just how many more shows will they do beyone Hawaii?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That is a damn good question! So does this mean the tour is not over?

Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:55 AM
I'm camping out for this one if I'm fortunate enough to get GA.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #14
Blue Crack Overdose

Camping in Hawaii. Mmmmmm....sounds fun to me!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

there actually is an ellipse in stadium shows, of sorts...the front area in front of the stage is barricaded off and they allow maybe a couple thousand people in there, and it is first-come admission. If you arrive later in the day (in europe it was after 2pm or so) they don't let any more people in that section. And you did get a special bracelet that said "inner circle" if you were admitted to the front section.

I don't think the front rail in stadiums is anything like arenas...the stage is so much taller and larger that it feels a little less personal. But the visuals in the stadium shows are remarkable.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian
there actually is an ellipse in stadium shows, of sorts...the front area in front of the stage is barricaded off and they allow maybe a couple thousand people in there, and it is first-come admission. If you arrive later in the day (in europe it was after 2pm or so) they don't let any more people in that section. And you did get a special bracelet that said "inner circle" if you were admitted to the front section.

I don't think the front rail in stadiums is anything like arenas...the stage is so much taller and larger that it feels a little less personal. But the visuals in the stadium shows are remarkable.
this is exactly what I was trying to confirm - I saw the barricade in Manchester photos, but couldn't make it out at other stadium shows. is this definitely the setup for ALL stadium shows (at least thus far)?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Blue Crack Overdose

I would think then being more in the back on the field at a stadium show would be the best?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by tryan101

this is exactly what I was trying to confirm - I saw the barricade in Manchester photos, but couldn't make it out at other stadium shows. is this definitely the setup for ALL stadium shows (at least thus far)?
I'm assuming they will use the same stage design as the european leg, and if that is the case then i'm assuming the barricades will the the same, too. it has a good crowd control function.

Carek, I was on the rail for the shows in Europe, inside the "fake ellipse" but not in the middle. So i was on the edge of one of the B-stages, and twice I was on the rail way at the end outside the B-stages, if that is possible to visualize. In Wales I was a few rows back and it was very hard to see because there were some really tall guys in front of us. I guess if I don't have a rail spot I'll stand in the back of the floor.

you've all probably seen the pictures of the stage from europe, but here's another one. you can pretty easily tell where the barricade is:

Old 01-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan
That is a damn good question! So does this mean the tour is not over?

the tour is technically over in Hawaii, according to what Paul McGuinness told Billboard...but Jazzfest is not considered part of the Vertigo tour...they won't use their own stage, likely, or do a full set--similar to Live 8.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
Blue Crack Overdose

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian

I'm assuming they will use the same stage design as the european leg, and if that is the case then i'm assuming the barricades will the the same, too. it has a good crowd control function.

Carek, I was on the rail for the shows in Europe, inside the "fake ellipse" but not in the middle. So i was on the edge of one of the B-stages, and twice I was on the rail way at the end outside the B-stages, if that is possible to visualize. In Wales I was a few rows back and it was very hard to see because there were some really tall guys in front of us. I guess if I don't have a rail spot I'll stand in the back of the floor.

you've all probably seen the pictures of the stage from europe, but here's another one. you can pretty easily tell where the barricade is:

Thanks, Ruffian....I have seen tons of the European pics and know many folks who were at many of the shows and seen their pics and heard their stories, plus I am a blue crack addict so I've followed along the tour here on the threads so I can have a good idea of what it will be like. I'm going to have to be at a rail somewhere or in the back or I will freak out being stuck in the middle , that is my worst fear! I think as far as wanting the best overall view the best spot would be in the back somewhere.

Thanks, everyone for sharing their pics and info, it really helps those of us who haven't yet experienced it all.