Hawaii GA Line People..Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Refugee

The Fly
okay so im one of those people who are planning to sleep outside dec 8th yeaa and i def. want a shower and to take back all my unwanted crap to my hotel if anyone else is in this same situation i wanna know what youre doing about it.

plusss GA party!?

rock on !

Rent a car.

Make friends with the fans around you and let them know that you'll be heading back to your hotel room for an hour to freshen up before the show.

Depending on how far back in line you are, you should have a GA line number written on your hand by then, so getting back in line after taking a shower and dumping your gear shouldn't be a problem.

Most U2 fans are cool in the GA line, as long as you let them know what your plans are and be nice about it. Some will be dickheads no matter what, so hopefully you won't standing next to those ones.

:giggle: ^ I plan on doing the same Refugee, so as long as you do what Play said and have your rental car so you can put your junk away and roll to your hotel, get fresh for the show, you should be able to get back and have your spot saved by a hand full of cool U2 fans. Luckly I am going to camp out with a hand full of cool U2 fans so I already covered.:wink:

Last edited:
I have GA as well but I'd rather spend early Saturday walking around Waikiki, but I want to be inside for Rocko and Pearl Jam. What time should we arrive at stadium, I'm thinking 4pm? Is this about right?

I understand how you feel tech. Standing in a line all day on a sunny Sat. noon is not my cup of tea either. However, I do not want to take that chance of not getting a rail spot!

I hear that some will not be there untill afternoon. They seem to be fine with that too. Keep in mind there is no GA lottery so you may not have the best spot if you arrive late in the day.

techfire said:
I have GA as well but I'd rather spend early Saturday walking around Waikiki, but I want to be inside for Rocko and Pearl Jam. What time should we arrive at stadium, I'm thinking 4pm? Is this about right?

:lol: ( isn't this meant to be sarcastic? if not sorry, I figured you know if you want to be somewhat close with GA you gotta be there in the morning otherwise you are relegated to the back section) although I don't think camping out is necessary either.

A friend of mine went to the first Sydney show and said there was an Italian guy in line at 3am in the morning. Apparently, he was by himself until 7am, :lmao:

He arrived in line around 10am and still got rail on the right headphone ramp.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

:lol: ( isn't this meant to be sarcastic? if not sorry, I figured you know if you want to be somewhat close with GA you gotta be there in the morning otherwise you are relegated to the back section) although I don't think camping out is necessary either.

A friend of mine went to the first Sydney show and said there was an Italian guy in line at 3am in the morning. Apparently, he was by himself until 7am, :lmao:

He arrived in line around 10am and still got rail on the right headphone ramp.

What's up Trev - Actually I'm being serious, just being inside is enough for me, I'll still be closer to stage than the average $165 seat. That being said, I don't want to miss Pearl Jam. Not sure how long a GA line at a stadium will take, do you have an idea?
FYI - saw your post regarding Karaoke in Waikiki, there's a place in the International Market Place (can't remember name), good selection of songs.

Oh, sorry!:reject:

Most people with GAs want to be as close as they can. But your thinking makes sense too, definitely better price. I have never been to a stadium show either so I am not sure how the line moves plus I wonder how Aloha Stadium handles it.

I would guess 4pm would be plenty of time. I can't see the line taking 2 plus hours to filter in, can it?

Thanks for the karaoke tip. I think the International Market Place has everything.:wink:

trevster2k said:

Most people with GAs want to be as close as they can. But your thinking makes sense too, definitely better price. I have never been to a stadium show either so I am not sure how the line moves plus I wonder how Aloha Stadium handles it.

I would guess 4pm would be plenty of time. I can't see the line taking 2 plus hours to filter in, can it?

Thanks for the karaoke tip. I think the International Market Place has everything.:wink:

No problem. Believe me, I would love to get a good spot by arriving early, but I doubt my girlfriend would follow me.
3-4 pm should be good, a small tailgate before show should work.
Post the final details for karaoke night when you have it, that sounds like fun, I do a killer tiny bubbles.

trevster2k said:

It will be interesting to see how Aloha Stadium handles the line. My first Stadium experience was Monterrey and that involved days of camping out. Otherwise, if you arrived day of you would have probably have been 3000th in line. Kid you not!

Also in Monterrey we were assigned a gate on our ticket of where to enter......

skjuls said:

It will be interesting to see how Aloha Stadium handles the line. My first Stadium experience was Monterrey and that involved days of camping out. Otherwise, if you arrived day of you would have probably have been 3000th in line. Kid you not!

If you're stuck towards the back of line, say 400 deep, how long would it take to enter GA gates? Say I arrive at 4pm, would I be inside in time for Rocko or Pearl Jam?

techfire said:

If you're stuck towards the back of line, say 400 deep, how long would it take to enter GA gates? Say I arrive at 4pm, would I be inside in time for Rocko or Pearl Jam?

It would depend on security and how thorough they were as well as the ticket scanners, it could be 30 minutes to an hour.

I dont' really know I was in the near the front of my first stadium show so I couldn't really say.

skjuls said:

It would depend on security and how thorough they were as well as the ticket scanners, it could be 30 minutes to an hour.

I dont' really know I was in the near the front of my first stadium show so I couldn't really say.

Cool. I really doubt it will take 2 hours to enter GA gates, but I'll probably arrive earlier and take a peek before standing in line. Only downside to Aloha Stadium, there isn't a thing to do within walking distance of stadium.

The x-factor regarding Aloha Stadium is that the whole complex is fenced in and gated. There are highway off ramps and streets in the immediate vicinity too.

At this point, we still don't know if they will open the gates early, the area around the stadium doesn't have the best reputation but we know there isn't a swap meet that day.

If the gates don't open until later in the day, it's going to be a mess. All the parking is behind the gates. Hopefully, they will be on the ball and realize that people will be showing up early in the day. I don't think people will be camping out for days for this show like Jules' Monterray experience. IF it does turn out that way, so be it, no band is worth that much of my time including U2.

yeah i might just take the bus no renting of a car
whats this about karaoke?!
I love karaoke :wink:

trevster2k said:
The x-factor regarding Aloha Stadium is that the whole complex is fenced in and gated. There are highway off ramps and streets in the immediate vicinity too.

At this point, we still don't know if they will open the gates early, the area around the stadium doesn't have the best reputation but we know there isn't a swap meet that day.

If the gates don't open until later in the day, it's going to be a mess. All the parking is behind the gates. Hopefully, they will be on the ball and realize that people will be showing up early in the day. I don't think people will be camping out for days for this show like Jules' Monterray experience. IF it does turn out that way, so be it, no band is worth that much of my time including U2.

I have heard that some may try to scope out the place days in advance just in case..... I assure you that I am not one of those. One night is all I will do in Hawaii!!

No swap meet!!!? Damn!!

skjuls said:

Yeah, Julie is right, that Monterrey GA line was totally insane.

However, we showed up at 11am the morning of the show, and ended up only one person deep from the barrier rail, so I can't imagine Honolulu's GA line being any more intense than the Mexico GA lines were last February.

Hey skjuls, I didn't realize the Monterrey GA tickets had the entrance gates printed on them, we just chose the mellowest gate of the three and got in no problem... oops. (I have a short videotape that I made of the Monterrey GA line the night before the concert... we interview some of the fans there and you can hear how shell-shocked we were when we realized how many thousands of crazy fans had already been camping out there for three days prior!)

Last edited:
skjuls said:

the stadium shows in europe were so awesome...i got in line in London at noon and not only got in the ellipse, but got a rail spot that wasn't bad. In Dublin I got there at 9 a.m. and got a rail spot on the b-stage, and in Cardiff all hell broke loose because they let tons of gates in, some earlier than others. so despite getting there at the crack of dawn I ended up not on the rail and behind a gargantuan.

unfortunately, i think americans will use the standard of sleeping out. :yuck:

Julie, I heard Mexico was insane :crazy:

Originally posted by trevster2k but we know there isn't a swap meet that day.
Hi, people. This is my first post, but I am a long time U2 fan and am a current Hawaii resident. Anyway, to the point. Are you sure there is no swap meet that day? Believe it or not, that swap meet is a huge moneymaker for the State, which owns the stadium. The State has a contract with a vendor who basically organizes the swap meet. The swap meet conflicts big time with University of Hawaii football games in the fall, but even the University cannot get the swap meet cancelled on game days. So, I'd be very surprised if there's no swap meet that day. This should be cleared up ASAP because the swap meet will definitely affect when and where you can queue.

Anyway, the area around the stadium isn't quite the wasteland that is being described. If you go out the south parking lot, you will find a small strip mall with a pizza hut, jack in the box, and a number of other local eating places. Also, Hawaii's only ice skating rink is there if anyone wants to get in a few twirls.

Diagonally across that intersection from the stadium is another mall with a mickey D's, a kmart, and a grocery store.

If you go west from the stadium about 1/2 mile, you'll reach Pearl Ridge shopping center, which is one of the biggest on the island. Across the street there is another strip mall with a 24 hour fitness, where members could shower before the show, I guess. They probably have day passes too.

For something completely different, the stadium is walking distance to Pearl Harbor. You could tour the memorial and see the Mighy Mo as well.

Finally, just given the logistics of getting into and out of Waikiki, anyone planning on making a "quick" dash back to their hotel before the show should expect their trip to take a minimum of 1.5 hours driving time, round trip.

Also, it's been a while since I've ridden the bus out that way, but regular bus service should run at least until midnight. Do NOT count on taxi service after the concert as Hawaii cabbies do not cruise for fares out there, even after known events.

Okay, I just remembered that the Honolulu Marathon is scheduled on December 10th. That means Waikiki is going to be crawling with Japanese tourists, who descend en masse for the run. Should be a lot of fun, but you're going to be competing for resources such as hotel rooms.

The flip side is that Gavin Degraw will apparently be playing at the Waikiki Shell friday night.

Hey, Chase, you're a valuable resource! You should go over to the current huge Hawaii thread and make some restaurant/bar/WHATEVER recs for us first-timers. :D

I haven't researched local touristy things at all yet--things like volcano-viewing/hiking, nature related things, whale watching, surfing lessons (heehee)...if you have any tips on things like that I'd appreciate it.

We have GAs, but as of now the plan is to line up in the morning. I'm not sure I can handle being at the very front with a giant cast on my leg. I'd almost rather be along the rail in the middle than all squished up front.

If anyone else is planning on lining up in the morning (early, but not insanely early), maybe we can work out some transportation.

4U2Play said:

Yeah, Julie is right, that Monterrey GA line was totally insane.

However, we showed up at 11am the morning of the show, and ended up only one person deep from the barrier rail, so I can't imagine Honolulu's GA line being any more intense than the Mexico GA lines were last February.

Hey skjuls, I didn't realize the Monterrey GA tickets had the entrance gates printed on them, we just chose the mellowest gate of the three and got in no problem... oops. (I have a short videotape that I made of the Monterrey GA line the night before the concert... we interview some of the fans there and you can hear how shell-shocked we were when we realized how many thousands of crazy fans had already been camping out there for three days prior!)

Oh, I would love a copy of the video. To contact me, TigerLily1276@aol.com

I was number 32 in line or something. But I had a Mexican Contact, Gustavo who was in the Monterrey fan club....so it was a bit easier for us. He helped us get to the mall to pick up our tickets.

Front row dead center...................

ChaseTheDragon said:

Also, Hawaii's only ice skating rink is there if anyone wants to get in a few twirls.

OOOOHHHH!!!!
A snowball fight in the GA line before a U2 show in Honolulu? How trippy would that be?
I wonder how often they resurface the ice?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom