Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Refugee

Location: The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap, clap, clap*
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Big Grin Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Refugee

Quote:
There's a contest starting on u2.com next week to win a trip to Honolulu! It sounds pretty interesting, and it's open to anyone.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2009

I'm going to give it a try.

Holy crap! I just read the rules to this thing, and all I have to say is that I'm glad that I'm not desperate to get out there...including free of charge!

I think I'll just stick with what I have. I mean I have GA, hotel on the beach, flight ticket, and rental car...how can they beat that? Unless they state exactly what they are paying for and where then I might try. But it looks like a waste of time for me.

Thanks for sharing the news with us though ThoraSEB!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Well, I think I'm officially going this time! The travel agency offered a package within our budget at a newly renovated hotel, so we're paying the deposit today!

Question, how many of you guys are getting rental cars? I've read that parking is a real bitch and many places are walking distance. I'm the type of person that would rather walk to the beach than go shopping or have to pay to see all the sights. Do you think a car is necessary?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Your welcome, Allegra. It looks like it's probably pretty complicated, but worth it for those who would love to go but don't have tickets yet.

Even though I already have my trip planned and paid for, I'm going to give it a try. You never know what might happen! If this will get me to Hawaii in time to catch the concert, I'm going for it!

Liv, I'm not sure how many people here will be renting cars. I think it's a great idea if you want to get out of the Honolulu area. You're right - most things are within walking distance, so it really isn't necessary if you only plan on staying near the beach and the hotels, etc. I definitely recommend checking out the rest of the island. The North Shore is beautiful!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, we might as well try the contest. What if it's like a 5 star hotel? Then you could pay a relatively minimal cost to cancel current bookings for an awesome vacation.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Can someone post the link to the Hawaii group trevster (I think) started? Can't seem to find it in the other thread...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...renceinhawaii/

Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Refugee

The Hawaii message board is located here...

http://zootopiahawaii.proboards91.com/
Old 10-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Question, how many of you guys are getting rental cars? I've read that parking is a real bitch and many places are walking distance. I'm the type of person that would rather walk to the beach than go shopping or have to pay to see all the sights. Do you think a car is necessary?
I don't mind walking either, let's just hope the weather is in our favor! I'd prefer to save the $$ on parking and rental fees anyway. We are renting a car at least for the GA lineup though, as there is apparently nothing near the stadium. I'd definitely recommend having transportation for that time
Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kafrun

I don't mind walking either, let's just hope the weather is in our favor! I'd prefer to save the $$ on parking and rental fees anyway. We are renting a car at least for the GA lineup though, as there is apparently nothing near the stadium. I'd definitely recommend having transportation for that time
When are you getting in line? We might just come with the clothes on our backs and a sack lunch, maybe sometime in the morning. I feel like I've done the whole camp-out-for-days-get-at-the-front thing and I'd be satisfied with being halfway to the back.

I think I might skip the car for now and if we need one, we can rent for a day or two.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:

I think I might skip the car for now and if we need one, we can rent for a day or two.
there are places that you can rent a car for half the day or the whole day if you don't want the expense of having a car the entire time. This is probably the route that I'm taking as the hotel costs 18 dollars a day for parking

Glad things worked out for both of you
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

When are you getting in line? We might just come with the clothes on our backs and a sack lunch, maybe sometime in the morning. I feel like I've done the whole camp-out-for-days-get-at-the-front thing and I'd be satisfied with being halfway to the back.

We're probably getting in line as early as possible. I haven't done the GA camp-out-for-days-etc. thing yet, so I'm going all out But if you're not going for that this time, I imagine you'll be fine without the car
Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I have a question. How many clothes would you pack for a 9 day trip to Hawaii?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

No idea! I've never been to Hawaii or any places like it so I'll have some research to do. I'd like to just take carry-on and not have to check a bag, but we're only going for 5 nights. Are there still rules about putting stuff like saline, shampoo, toothpaste, etc in carry-ons?

Chrissi, good to know someone's thinking the same. Many of the reviews I read for various hotels were from people pissed about the lack of parking or the cost of parking, even at the hotels.

If anyone's been to Hawaii in the winter, please PM me or something. I'd like to know what the weather is like. I find that "visitor center" websites like to talk up their destinations, like it's sunny and hot 24/7/365, so I'd rather here from people.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:47 PM
The weather?

http://zootopiahawaii.proboards91.co...ead=1158096308
Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Rent a car? Like Thora said, if you plan on visiting another part of the Island or touring the windward part of the island. I did both in a whirlwind day of driving last time plus snorkelling at Hanauma Bay. If you rent a car, NEVER leave valuables inside, unlock the doors so no thieves break your window.

The Bus is an excellent public transportation system for heading around Honolulu. Most stuff is within walking range unless you want to head downtown or drive to Pearl Harbour. Regarding a car for driving to the stadium for GA, based on our best knowledge the entire stadium is surrounded by a huge fence including the parking area. And it is located just off the highway. Basically a GA nightmare UNLESS they have the Stadium Flea Market that day, then the gates would open at 6am. We aren't sure yet what the plans are at the stadium.

The idea of renting a bus for returning from the stadium is also being toyed with too.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

The idea of renting a bus for returning from the stadium is also being toyed with too.
I'm assuming our hotel can provide transport to and from the airport, so getting to and from the stadium is really the only time we'd need to be guaranteed transportation. Are there city buses or any transport in place that go back and forth? If not, I'm interested in the bus idea.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^again, we don't know for sure what the city is doing in regards to transportation for the concert. Yeah, I'm a wealth of information tonight!!

Driving back after a GA experience in Honolulu isn't something I look forward to, neither is being jammed on a city bus with hundreds of other sweaty strangers, nor trying to snag a cab which is why an air-conditioned private bus parked in the bus section is so appealing. I will keep you updated.

I'm not sure if transportation is included in hotel fees. Maybe yours is, check to make sure. No big deal though cause for about $8 you can grab a shuttle bus to Waikiki and book one to return to the airport for same price.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #19
Refugee

Even with the extra credit card interest, I'm wishing I'd booked my flights a month ago. Gritting my teeth at the prices now...they're up about $100, $150 for the times I want. Noes...

Oh, and we're at (resortquest) Waikiki Beach, anyone else there?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Has anyone signed up for any tours or activities yet? Like swimming with dolphins, submarine tour, etc.

I'm just curious as to what other people are planning to do if they are staying after the concert.