Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a contest starting on u2.com next week to win a trip to Honolulu! It sounds pretty interesting, and it's open to anyone.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2009

I'm going to give it a try. :up:

Holy crap! I just read the rules to this thing, and all I have to say is that I'm glad that I'm not desperate to get out there...including free of charge!

I think I'll just stick with what I have. I mean I have GA, hotel on the beach, flight ticket, and rental car...how can they beat that? Unless they state exactly what they are paying for and where then I might try. But it looks like a waste of time for me.

Thanks for sharing the news with us though ThoraSEB!!!

Well, I think I'm officially going this time! The travel agency offered a package within our budget at a newly renovated hotel, so we're paying the deposit today!

Question, how many of you guys are getting rental cars? I've read that parking is a real bitch and many places are walking distance. I'm the type of person that would rather walk to the beach than go shopping or have to pay to see all the sights. Do you think a car is necessary?

Your welcome, Allegra. It looks like it's probably pretty complicated, but worth it for those who would love to go but don't have tickets yet.

Even though I already have my trip planned and paid for, I'm going to give it a try. You never know what might happen! :D If this will get me to Hawaii in time to catch the concert, I'm going for it!

Liv, I'm not sure how many people here will be renting cars. I think it's a great idea if you want to get out of the Honolulu area. You're right - most things are within walking distance, so it really isn't necessary if you only plan on staying near the beach and the hotels, etc. I definitely recommend checking out the rest of the island. The North Shore is beautiful!

Yeah, we might as well try the contest. What if it's like a 5 star hotel? Then you could pay a relatively minimal cost to cancel current bookings for an awesome vacation.

Can someone post the link to the Hawaii group trevster (I think) started? Can't seem to find it in the other thread...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Question, how many of you guys are getting rental cars? I've read that parking is a real bitch and many places are walking distance. I'm the type of person that would rather walk to the beach than go shopping or have to pay to see all the sights. Do you think a car is necessary?
I don't mind walking either, let's just hope the weather is in our favor! I'd prefer to save the $$ on parking and rental fees anyway. We are renting a car at least for the GA lineup though, as there is apparently nothing near the stadium. I'd definitely recommend having transportation for that time :yes:

kafrun said:

I don't mind walking either, let's just hope the weather is in our favor! I'd prefer to save the $$ on parking and rental fees anyway. We are renting a car at least for the GA lineup though, as there is apparently nothing near the stadium. I'd definitely recommend having transportation for that time :yes:

When are you getting in line? We might just come with the clothes on our backs and a sack lunch, maybe sometime in the morning. I feel like I've done the whole camp-out-for-days-get-at-the-front thing and I'd be satisfied with being halfway to the back.

I think I might skip the car for now and if we need one, we can rent for a day or two.

I think I might skip the car for now and if we need one, we can rent for a day or two.

there are places that you can rent a car for half the day or the whole day if you don't want the expense of having a car the entire time. This is probably the route that I'm taking as the hotel costs 18 dollars a day for parking :|

Glad things worked out for both of you

When are you getting in line? We might just come with the clothes on our backs and a sack lunch, maybe sometime in the morning. I feel like I've done the whole camp-out-for-days-get-at-the-front thing and I'd be satisfied with being halfway to the back.

We're probably getting in line as early as possible. I haven't done the GA camp-out-for-days-etc. thing yet, so I'm going all out :D But if you're not going for that this time, I imagine you'll be fine without the car :)

No idea! I've never been to Hawaii or any places like it so I'll have some research to do. I'd like to just take carry-on and not have to check a bag, but we're only going for 5 nights. Are there still rules about putting stuff like saline, shampoo, toothpaste, etc in carry-ons?

Chrissi, good to know someone's thinking the same. Many of the reviews I read for various hotels were from people pissed about the lack of parking or the cost of parking, even at the hotels.

If anyone's been to Hawaii in the winter, please PM me or something. I'd like to know what the weather is like. I find that "visitor center" websites like to talk up their destinations, like it's sunny and hot 24/7/365, so I'd rather here from people.

Last edited:
Rent a car? Like Thora said, if you plan on visiting another part of the Island or touring the windward part of the island. I did both in a whirlwind day of driving last time plus snorkelling at Hanauma Bay. If you rent a car, NEVER leave valuables inside, unlock the doors so no thieves break your window.

The Bus is an excellent public transportation system for heading around Honolulu. Most stuff is within walking range unless you want to head downtown or drive to Pearl Harbour. Regarding a car for driving to the stadium for GA, based on our best knowledge the entire stadium is surrounded by a huge fence including the parking area. And it is located just off the highway. Basically a GA nightmare UNLESS they have the Stadium Flea Market that day, then the gates would open at 6am. We aren't sure yet what the plans are at the stadium.

The idea of renting a bus for returning from the stadium is also being toyed with too.

trevster2k said:

The idea of renting a bus for returning from the stadium is also being toyed with too.

I'm assuming our hotel can provide transport to and from the airport, so getting to and from the stadium is really the only time we'd need to be guaranteed transportation. Are there city buses or any transport in place that go back and forth? If not, I'm interested in the bus idea.

^again, we don't know for sure what the city is doing in regards to transportation for the concert. Yeah, I'm a wealth of information tonight!!:wink:

Driving back after a GA experience in Honolulu isn't something I look forward to, neither is being jammed on a city bus with hundreds of other sweaty strangers, nor trying to snag a cab which is why an air-conditioned private bus parked in the bus section is so appealing. I will keep you updated.

I'm not sure if transportation is included in hotel fees. Maybe yours is, check to make sure. No big deal though cause for about $8 you can grab a shuttle bus to Waikiki and book one to return to the airport for same price.

Even with the extra credit card interest, I'm wishing I'd booked my flights a month ago. Gritting my teeth at the prices now...they're up about $100, $150 for the times I want. Noes...

Oh, and we're at (resortquest) Waikiki Beach, anyone else there?

rosephile said:
Even with the extra credit card interest, I'm wishing I'd booked my flights a month ago. Gritting my teeth at the prices now...they're up about $100, $150 for the times I want. Noes...

Oh, and we're at (resortquest) Waikiki Beach, anyone else there?

We tried so hard to get there b/c it has such great reviews, but we only just booked and it's been full. Luckily, our airline prices have gone down from $700 in August when I started looking to under $500.

Hi Everyone :wave:

I'm getting so excited! I was worried a little about how to exactly get to the concert, so I'm glad I wasn't the only worry wart out there :crazy:

We aren't going to get a car either so chipping in for a bus or something is something I'm really interested in.

I still don't know what to do about a car. I think my friend's hotel room is near Diamond Head, and he has no desire to get to the stadium early and wait in line all day. Have no idea how much a taxi would be to get to the stadium, not to mention how we'd get back to the hotel. We fly in from LAX on Friday, and leave on Sunday

:huh:

Is Maddie coming?

How many GA-ers are camping out? Anyone planning to line up in the morning (not too early, but before lunch)?

Yes, Maddy & I are coming for the show! We were not planning to do an overnight camp out, but definitely wanted to get there early morning...

Sweet! We should hook up if that's what happens. Phil doesn't care what we do and I'd rather not camp, but try to get there ASAP in the morning.

I'm going too! I feel like such a newbie...first time in Hawaii, first time seeing U2 in GA...I can't wait. Anyone else going to be there in the days before the show? I'm arriving thursday before the show

Outsider said:
I'm going too! I feel like such a newbie...first time in Hawaii, first time seeing U2 in GA...I can't wait. Anyone else going to be there in the days before the show? I'm arriving thursday before the show

Welcome newbie! :wave:

I'll be in the GA line too, but we'll get there early in the morning.

And since you're arriving on Thursday, you'll want to join us at Duke's which is located at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Hotel.

Also you'll want to join the Hawaii board...

http://zootopiahawaii.proboards91.com/

I'm doing GA alone so I doubt I'll do a true camp out. I'll be there VERY early in the morning though, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom