General Admission into Brisbane, how did it work??? Few Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PietroChocko

The Fly
Worth asking.... what was the proceedure? Who waited before 9am, were there any security guards? What was the line-up like? What was the proceedure to get in???

Nervous about Adelaide. *shudders*

It worked fairly well. I got there about two, so I don't know about the morning... there were security personnel everywhere, but they were quite friendly. The GA waiting area was cordoned off from the rest of the grounds, but once inside, you could exit and enter at will by getting a pass from the guards. I don't think anyone had any trouble losing their place in the queue.
They were going to let us in around 4, but Kanye's soundcheck ran later than they expected, so it was closer to five when we got through. Only two hitches:
1) They stood everyone up and started the line moving a good forty-five minutes before actually opening the gate, which just made everybody irritable; and
2) There was a bottleneck at the final entry point, due to the fact that they only let groups of about thirty go through at one time. We had to pass through security checkpoints and then the ticket scanners. I was far enough up to get a spot in the inner circle, but for those farther back, I can't imagine how long it must have taken before they reached the gate.
Hope that helps. Don't worry about Adelaide.

We got there before 8am & there was really good security presence & a well oiled system of keeping people in their place whilst allowing some freedom to get a bite etc...
As bgm mentioned, when it came to getting the 'herd' through the final gate, it all got a tad messy with ppl charging past ticket scanners and anyone who was infont of them!....For most of the day however, security did an excellent job....

I would like to know how it is working too....

I have got tix through u2.com - so I thought that counted for something - on the U2 website it says that the u2.com presale will get their own queue - is this right?
I am not too worried about being right in close - I am going 4 times, and whilst I am AMPED and PUMPED for this, being my first U2 experience since I was 13 (26 now!) I am happy for the first night to be back a bit so I can see it as the spectacle it is... in saying that, as close as possible - but not worried if I am not right at the front of the ellipse. I shook the boys hands and got my autographs and talks out of the way the other day - down to the music now :dance: :rockon:

Now - work is another story - I was going to slip away at 2pm, be at the ground by 3. Now I find out a have a very important meeting at 3-4... so suddenly, 5 is the best I can do! :yuck: So - being a u2.com member, this might put me at the back of the u2.com line (if such a line exists) which, given it can only be 1000 or so long, isnt a death sentence.... However...if it is general GA - I think this will put me around the 5000-10,000 range - which is OK, but that will mean 20+ metres further back than I want to be.

HELP!

Oooh yeah, last month I saw Peter Buck of REM play the Gov (with Robyn Hitchcock) with about 150 people there, nothing like it.....:drool:

With the GA section - is there a barrier in the middle of the ground a'la some other stadium shows for safety measures? And if there is, what time would you recommend me getting there in order to be guaranteed in the front half of it? I'm going to the first Melbourne show.

MitchGauge said:
With the GA section - is there a barrier in the middle of the ground a'la some other stadium shows for safety measures? And if there is, what time would you recommend me getting there in order to be guaranteed in the front half of it? I'm going to the first Melbourne show.
The Sydney experience will be a good guide so be sure to read all of the post Sydney discussion.

For Brisbane, albeit smaller show than Melbourne and Sydney, it seems you could have arrived in the queue as late as perhaps 2pm and have gotten a spot between the stage and the barrier.

I'd expect Melbourne and Sydney to be earlier. I'm guessing midday.

The barrier isn't that far back from the end of the two ramps. My guess is about 10% of GA will get inside it. Considering most people - for Sydney - won't go till they've finished work at 5pm, and that the stadium is a bit of a hike to get to (timewise on public transport), I think anyone who shows up during the day will be surprisingly close.

Earnie Shavers said:
Considering most people - for Sydney - won't go till they've finished work at 5pm, and that the stadium is a bit of a hike to get to (timewise on public transport), I think anyone who shows up during the day will be surprisingly close.

True. Although a lot of your GA is made up from 18-25 year old crowd, a lot of whom, and on uni break, finished the HSC or don't have to deal with the uneccessary hassle of employment. Add into that the fact it's a Friday and it's not too difficult to chip off a little early I would think by around 3pmish things will be suprisingly full up.

Saturday, I don't even want to think about.

Earnie Shavers said:
The barrier isn't that far back from the end of the two ramps. My guess is about 10% of GA will get inside it.
I think I read somewhere that the fenced off section holds 4000-5000 people so that's more than 10%.

Earnie Shavers said:
Saturday, forget about it. Monday - best shot.

oh god, i am only going to the concert on the 11th. i was planning on lining up about 12pm. what time would i need to line up to get into front section?

your posts are making me worried

I reckon midday you'll be ok. One thing that seeing Brisbane reminded me of is just how big the GA area is. This isn't like GA in an arena. It is immense! Obviously the earlier the better but midday is my guess. I am happy to be convinced otherwise! I'm going to try to get there at around 11am.

Guybrush said:

oh god, i am only going to the concert on the 11th. i was planning on lining up about 12pm. what time would i need to line up to get into front section?

your posts are making me worried

I'd say a lot of it will have to do with how much the media reports on how long people lined up for the first concert. If you remember when tickets went on sale - queues at least where I bought were twice as long the second time round after the media said how quick they sold out and how long you had to line up for.

So now the concert has come for Friday night & I'm not surprised that stacks of people are already lining up, as tickets went on sale first - but Saturday might be a bit different, people might be a bit lazy, who knows? Of course the big counter balance is that its a weekend.

Do you think 4,000 people in Sydney would be willing to line up 5 hours before gates open to a U2 concert on a Saturday? I'm guessing maybe not, but it will be close.

Ah k, so from most reports a 12pm arrival will get you in the front section. Was the barrier much of a burden in Brisbane?

In the queue, did they have a wristband system or anything? I'm just thinking, I might have a mate going early, who might be able to let me in the queue should I rock up late. Is that a realistic option?

shaynar said:
does anyone know about camping out in front of the stadium? I know we're technically not allowed to be in line before 9 am, but what if I stay all night?
If you are referring to Sydney then think again. I've just been out to the stadium to deliver a ticket to someone and they are queued up already for Friday's show. There are 2 GA queues and the one I saw had approx 100 people in it. That was 10pm Thursday night.

The problem I see with GA is the media reporting people queued up early and then this will make others arrive earlier than they planned and then the whole thing snowballs and everyone has to be there way earlier than 'normal'. I actually wish people weren't allowed to queue overnight.

Anyway I'm gonna get there 11am at the latest on Saturday and if that doesn't get me into the front section then bugger but I am lucky and I am seeing all 7 Australian shows so I can't complain about anything. U2 are in my country, my city even right now, this is way special! I actually wanted to stay out there tonight. So much of my U2 talk is done on this forum. It was good to experience the 'community' in the flesh!

Guys , my advice is to just get there as early as you can, I had big buck seats and I had to wait with the Ga .
Put it this way I was there at 4 took over a hour to get seated.
+ get merchandise ASAP, there are to many choices of shirts
and it took over a hour get to get 1 t shirt.

If i had to do it all over again I would have been there 1.00pm

Dont panic just get there early and have a brilliant time !!!

Sounds like the brisbane show as a stuff up as far as entry is concerned... Sydney hopefully will be more slick. I have now managed to get off work at 2, so I think with Sydney trains from the city I will be there by 3... sure, it might not get me in the top 1000 people, but I really dont think people are all crazy over U2 that are going. I would say 90% of people like/love U2 but wouldnt queue for that long/take time off work etc etc. I keep doing the maths on it 70,000 people - 20,000 seated = 50,000 then 10% of 50,000 get there before 5pm = 5,000.. which is about where I want to be. At the end of the day, I guess we will just see when we arrive huh!

One good thing is, I think Aussies are pretty crap at getting to gigs on time. Every concert be it smaller ones at the Enmore or Gaelic to larger at Horden etc - I would say 40% miss the support act, and about 10% miss the first few songs... Its great - generally I can rock up to gigs at a not-too early time and end up towards the front. U2 is a different beast, but I still think that most people wont be there before 6.

Back
Top Bottom