GA Lines @ Pittsburgh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd45177

Acrobat
It seemed to me at Pittsburgh, there was just one long GA line. I thought there were supposed to be two GA lines, one for the general public and one for fan club ticket holders. Was this the case in Pittsburgh or not? Have the two lines been the norm at all venues? If there were two lines in Pittsburgh, where was the fan club line? Trying to get this sorted before Cleveland.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh's line was a good example of what happens when no one explains what to do and when no one knows what is going on. People basically just stood where they wanted.

I think the bigger problem with the Mellon Arena setup was the fact that fans had to enter the venue through the stage loading area which was really awkward.
There was one huge line, but the instructions were that once inside there would be '3 chutes' 2 for U2.com and 1 for regular GA. Of course when you got down there, there were the 3 chutes, but there was no real policing of who went where. They also let fans into the arena in groups of 50 people at a time, it wasn't like everyone could go through at once. It went smoothly enough and I'm not sure the separate line would have made any difference with the way the arena entrance was laid out

Zoomeranger said:
Nope, there was only one line in Pittsburgh. The arena staff never came out to regulate, it was completely up to the fans.

and then when fans try to help out and run the line other fans yell at these fans for not being "official," but if nobody tries to get things in order there is chaos.

you'd think u2 would have people that would actually tell the venue how to run things, or better yet, actually have people themselves run things

I was fortunate I think, to have reserved fan club seating. I was in B26, Row A. I thought this was going to be the first row of the second section from the floor but the first section was collapsed for the stage set-up, making us the first row from the stage, albeit a bit further back.

When we were in the shorter lines for reserved seating, one guy said he had fan club GA tickets but he didn't care about the Vertigo scan, he was going to try and get in a gate other than the GA gate, reasoning that he would get on the floor sooner and closer to the outside of the elipse. It just didn't seem too organized compared to accounts I've read of how it went at other venues.

As for Mellon Arena itself, I loved it. It seemed very intimate for an arena that size. I was at Joyce Arena at Notre Dame in 2001 and Mellon seemed almost that intimate.

I still dont get why in the States you have so many problems with GA queues? We have had GA in the UK for donkeys years and its only been the last two tours that there have ever been any problems.
It baffles me.:huh:

Maybe they should make them all seated then it would stop all this madness?

njelevation06 said:
its hardless madness, let alone madness enough to make everyone seated

Of course its madness all you all do is argue and bicker about a queue!! plus the same fans get in the same spots night after night or at least thats how it seems reading reviews on this site.

I have mixed feelings about the PIsstburgh line. First, I am absolutely thrilled overall b/c I decided to go last minute, ended up number 4 in line and got into the ellipse, front row center. My main complaint is that NO ONE from the venue EVER came out and gave us any official instruction. It went something like this:

10:30pm April, Miroslava and I show up. It's dark, rainy, we did not expect to be the first there, but we didn't see any people and had no where to go. We finally found a place to park and walked around the arena. The only person there was a security guy in a booth with a sign that said General Admission. Miro introduced us and the guy, Jim, was really nice and totally cool with us camping out right there on the street corner. He showed us where we would be let in through the gates, but that was really all he knew. By the time we came back w/ camping stuff, Brad/Super Fan was there and he said he would run the line. I've heard mixed responses about his lines in the past, but we didn't really want to do it and he seemed to want to do it so that was fine w/ us. A few people showed up to spend the night and despite the weather, things went well and we were able to get to know each other and have some pizza.

I don't have a lot to say about what happened during the day b/c being so close to the front of the line, we fortunately didn't have to deal with people trying to cut or let others in. I think a lot of the problems were because of the weather (it was cold and raining so not great for just chilling all day, people had to leave to get dry and no one was in a mood to relax and have fun) and the venue. The location of the line was really awkward. I swear we told at least 100 people that we were the front of the line, not the back. Tons of people asked about the fan club line, but we were having enough trouble keeping track of the numbers and said "the venue is responsible for the fan club line". Like I said, not once did anyone from the venue come over and say anything. Jim left his post at 8am and the woman that replaced him was very nice (I asked her about the camera policy, etc), but didn't know anything about the line or a fan club line. The only time the line was ever officially addressed was when Alison came out after 6:30 and by that time, the weather was just getting colder, windier, rainier, darker and it was too late to split a fan club line.

I heard of many instances where people were confused, frustrated, or others were trying to cut farther back. It sucked b/c Brad/Super Fan was gone more often than he was there and April, Miroslava and myself had made it clear we were not going to police that line (though we were perfectly willing to take down names, give out numbers, and explain the process for a couple of shifts).

It seems the problems themselves were pretty normal (people trying to cut, people trying to let people in, etc), but the weather and no official leadership just perpetuated these problems.

So yeah, that's how I feel, but my opinion is somewhat jaded since I was number 4 and didn't have to deal with cutters and the whole going in in groups.

Chizip said:

and then when fans try to help out and run the line other fans yell at these fans for not being "official," but if nobody tries to get things in order there is chaos.

Exactly :|

Back
Top Bottom