Fenway Park, Boston, 2 nights Summer 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lemon_vr6 said:

I saw 10 arena shows and 5 stadium shows in the first two legs of this tour. The stadium shows crapped all over the indoor ones in every way. U2 is something else in front of 100,000 people.

:sigh:

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The reason I prefer indoor U2 shows is that when I saw them at a football stadium here in LA on the JT tour, they sucked. Musically, the band was tight. It was the emotional distance from the audience that was troubling. They waited for us to respond to them, rather than responding to the audience, where the four previous times I'd seen them indoors, that hadn't been a problem.

I prefer the relative intimacy of indoor shows. The audience gets lost outdoors, as does the music at times. I'm sure the show is visually stunning (with binoculars), but I like to to focus on the music.

martha said:

:sigh:

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The reason I prefer indoor U2 shows is that when I saw them at a football stadium here in LA on the JT tour, they sucked. Musically, the band was tight. It was the emotional distance from the audience that was troubling. They waited for us to respond to them, rather than responding to the audience, where the four previous times I'd seen them indoors, that hadn't been a problem.

I prefer the relative intimacy of indoor shows. The audience gets lost outdoors, as does the music at times. I'm sure the show is visually stunning (with binoculars), but I like to to focus on the music.

As much as I wish my girlfriend was hot like you I subscribe to the side that prefers U2 outdoors...but I've always been very close at those shows (save Vegas Popmart) so I'm spoiled. Something about looking around a huge sports stadium and see 40,000+ of your closest friends.

Another reason not too have this show at Fenway:

By Boston.com Staff | August 25, 2005

The Red Sox have moved tomorrow night’s game time back an hour, to 8:05 p.m., to give the grounds crew additional time to fix the playing field following this week’s Rolling Stones concerts at Fenway Park.

They really did a number on it.
:madspit:

From today's Boston Herald Inside Track: Not exactly the source for super accurate concert information but still interesting:

That Fenway Park is not likely to host any more large-scale concerts on the order of the Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen. Word is, the Red Sox got a little spooked after last summer's Stones concert tore up the outfield, forcing a delay in the start of a Sox-Tigers game. That means it's not likely that U2 will get to play the old ballyard. They'll probably end up at Gillette Stadium when the big-box portion of their tour comes through town next year.

Since I'll be in Boston finishing up my last semester of college this summer, this would be magnificent.

This time I'd actually think ahead, save money and try to get really sweet ass sweet seats/GA.

And do the whole try-to-meet the band thing.

And maybe make a sign to get pulled up on stage to play guitar.

yea.. i am at law school in boston.. we should all meet up. u2 fans/college people in boston haha..

i went to that red sox game against the tigers, they did a good job fixing the mess the stones left.

ALSO.. i really cant see them touring all of next year. this tour or any tour in general is tiring. they need to get back in the studio to do stuff or just to chill. we shall see.

but to ammery and pace.. if you 2 (u2 ..haha bad joke) are in boston, thats cool!

I'm with Martha on this one.

I have a particularly bad memory of PopMart at the LA Coliseum where the stage was but a mere speck and the irritating girl behind me couldn't figure out that her hysterical screams of, "I love you Bono" were probably not being heard by anyone outside of the extremely irritated fans seated all around her.

My take on a stadium tour is that it can be a cool experience if you are close to the stage. However, odds are that your seats will be crap (ie far away) and that you'll be either watching the video screen or stuck with binoculars to get an idea of what the band is doing.

Now if the choice is between stadium tour or no tour, then that's a different story...

Man this is interesting! Sorry, its Monday and my day at work was pretty dull, so I've logged on for a chat!

I'd like to raise a point which, though basic, is fundamental to any possibility of a 3rd "stadium leg" American tour.

Put simply its got to make money! I read somewhere that the boys didn't start to earn from the current tour until Vertigo reached Europe. Now I can appreciate that they can sell-out five nights at MSG, thats amazing! However, what they need to have confidence in is taking their show to at least 25 different stadium venues, possibly in 25 states, and sell these places out also.

Now in states with cities such as New York, Chicago, LA, Philly, Atlanta, Dallas (poss), Denver, Boston - these really are given - but will they sell out other markets?

My gut feeling is no and that is the reason why they are going to Japan, and possibly Australia next year. Alternatively, they might want to do what Madonna did at the start of this year, and play several dates in select markets in Norrth America and Canada.

Another point, and I apologise if this is a little generalised, but the American dollar is a little weak at the moment. Would make financial sense for them to tour Europe again, they' might make more money but it would depend on the pricing structure of the tickets. However, Germany is hosting the World Cup next year which would prove a major headache when booking possible venues.

:| One of my friends just started there this year; it wasn't really her top choice. But I guess it's working out now for her.

As for stadiums, I saw U2 in Paris at the Stade de France, halfway back on the pitch, couldn't see a THING and I have to say it was absolutely unbelievable. The crowd was so supportive all the way back where I was, jumping and screaming along to the song. I'd think twice about doing it here in America, though; European crowds just seem so much more into it.

Well, when I say think twice, I mean "Hmm... WAIT WHAT AM I THINKING?! HELL YES!"

randhail said:
From today's Boston Herald Inside Track: Not exactly the source for super accurate concert information but still interesting:

..., They'll probably end up at Gillette Stadium when the big-box portion of their tour comes through town next year.

Rumor. Why tour the same damn continent three times?

bratty_cat said:
I'm with Martha on this one.

I have a particularly bad memory of PopMart at the LA Coliseum where the stage was but a mere speck and the irritating girl behind me couldn't figure out that her hysterical screams of, "I love you Bono" were probably not being heard by anyone outside of the extremely irritated fans seated all around her.

My take on a stadium tour is that it can be a cool experience if you are close to the stage. However, odds are that your seats will be crap (ie far away) and that you'll be either watching the video screen or stuck with binoculars to get an idea of what the band is doing.

Now if the choice is between stadium tour or no tour, then that's a different story...

But U2 is the greatest stadium band of all time. They reach everyone at the back! I know I've see U2 shows from the back of a football stadium. Just ask any of the 2 million Europeans, in addition to myself and other non-Europeans who got to see the stadium tour this summer in Europe.

martha said:

Rumor. Why tour the same damn continent three times?

Well, they never have on a single tour in their history, and I don't think Vertigo is going to be the first.

Steviec28 said:
Man this is interesting! Sorry, its Monday and my day at work was pretty dull, so I've logged on for a chat!

I'd like to raise a point which, though basic, is fundamental to any possibility of a 3rd "stadium leg" American tour.

Put simply its got to make money! I read somewhere that the boys didn't start to earn from the current tour until Vertigo reached Europe. Now I can appreciate that they can sell-out five nights at MSG, thats amazing! However, what they need to have confidence in is taking their show to at least 25 different stadium venues, possibly in 25 states, and sell these places out also.

Now in states with cities such as New York, Chicago, LA, Philly, Atlanta, Dallas (poss), Denver, Boston - these really are given - but will they sell out other markets?

My gut feeling is no and that is the reason why they are going to Japan, and possibly Australia next year. Alternatively, they might want to do what Madonna did at the start of this year, and play several dates in select markets in Norrth America and Canada.

Another point, and I apologise if this is a little generalised, but the American dollar is a little weak at the moment. Would make financial sense for them to tour Europe again, they' might make more money but it would depend on the pricing structure of the tickets. However, Germany is hosting the World Cup next year which would prove a major headache when booking possible venues.

First, check out these statistics from the first two legs of the Vertigo Tour:

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

1, 2. San Diego, California : March 28, 30, 2005 : ipayOne Center at the Sports Arena : GROSS $2,909,029 : ATTENDANCE 29,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3, 4. Anaheim, California : April 1-2, 2005 : Arrowhead Pond : GROSS $3,454,198 : ATTENDANCE 33,535 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

5, 6. Los Angeles, California : April 5-6, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,673,850 : ATTENDANCE 34,527 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

7, 8. San Jose, California : April 9-10, 2005 : HP Pavillion : GROSS $3,357,098 : ATTENDANCE 36,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

9, 10. Glendale, Arizona : April 14-15, 2005 : Glendale Arena : GROSS $3,198,861 : ATTENDANCE 34,905 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

11, 12. Denver Colorado : April 20-21, 2005 : Pepsi Center : GROSS $3,509,741 : ATTENDANCE 36,714 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

13, 14. Seattle, Washington : April 24-25, 2005 : Key Arena : GROSS $3,105,574 : ATTENDANCE 30,251 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

15, 16. Vancouver, British Columbia : April 28-29, 2005 : General Motors Place : GROSS $3,020,466 : ATTENDANCE 37,031 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

17, 18, 19, 20. Chicago, Illinois : May 7-12, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $7,541,679 : ATTENDANCE 77,173 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

21, 25. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : May 14-22, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,767,178 : ATTENDANCE 39,273 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

22, 23. East Rutherford, New Jersey : May 17-18, 2005 : Continental Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,838,066 : ATTENDANCE 40,347 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

24. New York, New York : May 21, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $1,907,086 : ATTENDANCE 18,415 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

26, 27, 28. Boston, Mass. : May 24, 26, 28, 2005 : FleetCenter : GROSS $5,071,565 : ATTENDANCE 51,658 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $48,354,391
ATTENDANCE: 499,109
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,726,942.5
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 17,825
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $96.88
SHOWS: 28
SELLOUTS: 28

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: EUROPE

29. Brussels, Belgium : June 10, 2005 : Koning Boudewijn Stadion : GROSS $4,864,554 : ATTENDANCE 60,499 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

30. Gelsenkirchen, Germany : June 12, 2005 : Arena AufSchalke : GROSS $4,203,947 : ATTENDANCE 59,120 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

31, 32. Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

33, 34. London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

35. Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

39. Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

40. Vienna, Austria : July 2, 2005 : Ernst Happel Stadion : GROSS $4,200,416 : ATTENDANCE 55,645 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

41. Chorzow, Poland : July 5, 2005 : Stadion Slaski : GROSS $3,127,416 : ATTENDANCE 64,711 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

42. Berlin, Germany : July 7, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $4,725,530 : ATTENDANCE 70,443 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

43, 44. Paris, France : July 9-10, 2005 : Stade De France : GROSS $11,822,645 : ATTENDANCE 160,349 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

45, 46, 47. Amsterdam, The Netherlands : July 13, 15-16, 2005 : Amsterdam Arena : GROSS $13,022,200 : ATTENDANCE 165,516 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

48. Zurich, Switzerland : July 18, 2005 : Stadion Letzigrund : GROSS $3,574,993 : ATTENDANCE 44,260 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

49, 50. Milan, Italy : July 20-21, 2005 : Stadio San Siro : GROSS $7,565,264 : ATTENDANCE 137,427 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

51. Rome, Italy : July 23, 2005 : Stadio Olimpico : GROSS $4,010,779 : ATTENDANCE 67,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

52. Oslo, Norway : July 27, 2005 : Valle Hovin : GROSS $3,765,136 : ATTENDANCE 40,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

53. Goteborg, Sweden : July 29, 2005 : Ullevi Stadion : GROSS $4,081,864 : ATTENDANCE 58,478 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

54. Copenhagen, Denmark : July 31, 2005 : Parken Stadion : GROSS $3,650,294 : ATTENDANCE 50,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

55. Munich, Germany : August 3, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $5,343,379 : ATTENDANCE 77,435 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

56. Nice, France : August 5, 2005 : Parc des Sports Charles-Ehrmann : GROSS $3,548,702 : ATTENDANCE 51,900 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

57. Barcelona, Spain : August 7, 2005 : Camp Nou : GROSS $5,130,437 : ATTENDANCE 81,269 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

58. San Sebastian, Spain : August 9, 2005 : Estadio de Anoeta : GROSS $2,936,571 : ATTENDANCE 43,720 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

59. Madrid, Spain : August 11, 2005 : Estadio Vicente Calderon : GROSS $3,679,354 : ATTENDANCE 57,040 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

60. Lisbon, Portugal : August 14, 2005 : Estadio Jose Alvalade : GROSS $4,492,762 : ATTENDANCE 55,362 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $155,932,214
ATTENDANCE: 1,982,458
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $4,872,882
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 61,952
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $78.66
SHOWS: 32
SELLOUTS: 32

Combined 1st and 2nd LEG VERTIGO TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $204,286,605
ATTENDANCE: 2,481,567
SHOWS: 60
SELLOUTS: 60

Steviec28 said:

Even if this tour cost as much as POPMART, which it does not because its primarily in Arena's in North America at this point, the band will still pocket over $200 million dollars in tickets sales by the last date of the currently booked tour in Portland on December 19. The 93 Stadium date POPMART tour cost a little over $70 million dollars with the band taking in $100 million dollars because they GROSSED $171 million dollars from ticket sales for the tour. By the December 19 Portland show, the band will have GROSSED $290 million dollars with cost below $70 million.

On the topic of will there a be a North American Tour next year, I would say no. 1. The band have never done 3 legs of one region on any tour ever. 2. The band have hit many of the major markets in North America this year, some with a record number of shows. Yes its in Arena's, but the prices are high and do reflect the demand. While a lot of demand has not been met, by the 78 date Arena tour, the market for more U2 shows is weaker now than it was 9 months ago do to the 78 shows with record number of shows recorded in some major cities. While this in of itself would not prevent a stadium tour in 2006, it leaves the market a bit weak for such a major undertaking. Any arena tour done prior to a stadium tour needs to be limited and do no more than one night per city, otherwise, it will effect demand for that second or third leg later in the year or ealier the following year. It usually takes 2 to 3 years for a market to recover 100% from a major tour so it can fully support the next tour to the maximum.

I definitely think the band made a mistake for North America by booking a large 78 date Arena tour. The demand was there to play stadiums in 2005 and I can go into more detail about it. A stadium tour so soon after this leg in 2006 would now be difficult to sellout given the large 78 date tour in 2005. When you attempt to hit the stadiums, you want demand to be at its peak level. This will not be the case in 2006 if the band continue the Vertigo tour in the USA for a third leg. It would make more sense to stay in the Arena's to meet the demand that was not met on the first two legs in 2005.

With Europe, anything is possible. Just look at the results of 30 stadium shows that all soldout the day they went on sale. Simply amazing. The band could easily play another 30 stadium shows in Europe in 2006. The 2005 Vertigo Tour was the highest grossing tour in European history!

I think the band will finish the Vertigo tour in early 2006 with shows in Australia, Japan, and maybe New Zealand, South America and South Africa. Nothing to big though in terms of numbers of dates. I think the band will be finished with the tour and back in the studio by May of 2006.

STING2 said:
With Europe, anything is possible. Just look at the results of 30 stadium shows that all soldout the day they went on sale. Simply amazing. The band could easily play another 30 stadium shows in Europe in 2006. The 2005 Vertigo Tour was the highest grossing tour in European history!

...also, take into consideration that U2 only played Western Europe (except for the Polish date)... Eastern and South Eastern Europe has been left out....
U2 could easily sell-out another, let's say, 54 dates in Europe... :drool: :drool:

I don't count on anything, just keeping my fingers crossed...

STING2 said:

Even if this tour cost as much as POPMART, which it does not because its primarily in Arena's in North America at this point, the band will still pocket over $200 million dollars in tickets sales by the last date of the currently booked tour in Portland on December 19. The 93 Stadium date POPMART tour cost a little over $70 million dollars with the band taking in $100 million dollars because they GROSSED $171 million dollars from ticket sales for the tour. By the December 19 Portland show, the band will have GROSSED $290 million dollars with cost below $70 million.

On the topic of will there a be a North American Tour next year, I would say no. 1. The band have never done 3 legs of one region on any tour ever. 2. The band have hit many of the major markets in North America this year, some with a record number of shows. Yes its in Arena's, but the prices are high and do reflect the demand. While a lot of demand has not been met, by the 78 date Arena tour, the market for more U2 shows is weaker now than it was 9 months ago do to the 78 shows with record number of shows recorded in some major cities. While this in of itself would not prevent a stadium tour in 2006, it leaves the market a bit weak for such a major undertaking. Any arena tour done prior to a stadium tour needs to be limited and do no more than one night per city, otherwise, it will effect demand for that second or third leg later in the year or ealier the following year. It usually takes 2 to 3 years for a market to recover 100% from a major tour so it can fully support the next tour to the maximum.

I definitely think the band made a mistake for North America by booking a large 78 date Arena tour. The demand was there to play stadiums in 2005 and I can go into more detail about it. A stadium tour so soon after this leg in 2006 would now be difficult to sellout given the large 78 date tour in 2005. When you attempt to hit the stadiums, you want demand to be at its peak level. This will not be the case in 2006 if the band continue the Vertigo tour in the USA for a third leg. It would make more sense to stay in the Arena's to meet the demand that was not met on the first two legs in 2005.

I think the band will finish the Vertigo tour in early 2006 with shows in Australia, Japan, and maybe New Zealand, South America and South Africa. Nothing to big though in terms of numbers of dates. I think the band will be finished with the tour and back in the studio by May of 2006.

good points, but the rumors are coming from somewhere.

STING2 said:

But U2 is the greatest stadium band of all time. They reach everyone at the back! I know I've see U2 shows from the back of a football stadium. Just ask any of the 2 million Europeans, in addition to myself and other non-Europeans who got to see the stadium tour this summer in Europe.

Yes, they definitely can pull off the stadium gigs as evidenced by the Euro leg feedback. I've seen them in stadiums on two of their US tours (JT and Pop) and some of those were great experiences. I think it's just me and I'm getting old for the stadium thing. Those types of shows were much more exciting when I was in my teens and twenties. Plus, once I saw the band up close in arena GA, it got hard to imagine enjoying the same show far from all the action.

Back
Top Bottom