Do those of you coming to Boston have questions? / Please bring the sun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveydave

The Fly
I know I'm just one of many interference members that live and work in Boston.

I travel daily through North Station / the Fleet Center / Bank North or whatever they are calling it today :)

Whether this is a first trip or a return of some sorts, I'm sure you guys have lots of questions regarding what is close to the Fleet Center, where the better places are to eat and what to do when you are not stocking band members and such.

So, In my own personal way of welcoming you to Boston, bring on the questions for those of us that can help you out.

Let's hope for some nice weather - it's been cold and overcast for what seems like weeks. Maybe you guys can bring some sun to the party next week!

Dave
daveydave

Thanks for help, Daveydave!

We are coming up next Friday afternoon for Saturday nights concert. We are celebrating our anniversary -- can you recommend a nice (but not ridiculously expensive -- just moderately so) restaurant for good food, ambience, etc.?
We thought we'd have our celebration dinner Friday night.

Also, any tips re: the subway system and getting around town? We are staying at the Parker House due to a friend's recommendation. Any info about that area, getting around, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it's our first time in Boston. What do you consider the must see/must do list?

Thanks mucho!

Karen

One Kitty Kat said:
Thanks for help, Daveydave!

We are coming up next Friday afternoon for Saturday nights concert. We are celebrating our anniversary -- can you recommend a nice (but not ridiculously expensive -- just moderately so) restaurant for good food, ambience, etc.?
We thought we'd have our celebration dinner Friday night.

Also, any tips re: the subway system and getting around town? We are staying at the Parker House due to a friend's recommendation. Any info about that area, getting around, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it's our first time in Boston. What do you consider the must see/must do list?

Thanks mucho!

Karen

If you are staying at the Omni Parker House on School St, you'll be at one of the best locations in downtown Boston. Everything is nearby and walkable. The Fleet Center (or whatever its called today) is about a ten minute walk from your hotel.

I recommend dinner in the North End, just ask the concierge for directions (its also within walking distance). Its Boston's version of Little Italy, so there are a lot of little "mom and pop" restaurants with great ambience.

If your into history, your hotel is on the Freedom Trail, which can take you to a bunch of historical sites during the Revolutionary War period. A cemetary with Paul Revere, Sam Adams and John Hancock is right around the corner from the hotel. There's also Old North Church, the Boston Massacre site, and a bunch of other points of interest. The Freedom Trail is marked with either a red brick line or painted red line on the sidewalk.

My personal mecca is Fenway Park, and they have tours during the day. The Sox will be playing the Yankees in NY that weekend.

Wow, I didn't realize that Fleetcenter is so close we could walk to it. Cool.

I'm thinking we will walk the whole Freedom Trail. But what about the USS Constitution? Worthwhile or not? Anything on the Harbor we should see (whale watch worth the time and money or not?)?

Thanks!

I'll start with the dinner and get back to the other stuff later. Great spot - the Omni House. Also the source of one of my favorite trivia questions!

WHERE TO EAT:
=============

IMO, there is nothing like enjoying a Friday or Saturday night out in the North End. I quick 15 minute
from the Fleet Center or your hotel and you're in the North End. Great for just walking around, having
dinner or coffee / dessert.

ITALIAN / NORTH END
=================
Terramia Ristorante - just had a great meal here.
98 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-3112

Cantina Italiana
346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113

Piccola Venezia
263 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113

AL Dente Restaurant - probably my all time favorite, nice but not as romantic IMO.
109 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113

NORTH END DESSERT
=================
You have to go over to Modern Pastry after dinner. Mike's Pastry isn't fresh.
Don't listen to tourists or get caught up with where the Presidents go.
This place serves fresh canoli. Mike's Pastry lets them sit overnight
and did I mention it's overrated? GO TO MODERN PASTRY!!!

Modern Pastry Shop
257 Hanover
Boston, MA 02113

SURF & TURF
==============
Durgin Park
340 Faneuil Hall Market Pl
Boston, MA 02109

After Durgin - walk around Fanuel Hall a bit. Nice shops, dessert, street performers. This is
the heart of Boston.

SEAFOOD:
==============
Legal Sea Foods - I recommend the one close to the Aquarium, you can't go wrong here.
Awarded "Best Seafood Restaurant in America" by NBC Today Show

Last edited:
Thre's also this place right across from the FleetcenterTDBankNorthGarden called Burger King.:wink:

As for the whale watch question:
The problem with whale watching from Boston is that its a lot longer ride to the whale areas than the trips from places like Gloucester and Provincetown. So its a long boat ride out and in. They are hit and miss. If you get the right day, they can be spectacular, wife and I did one a few years back where there were 2 whales breaching simulteneously, apparently a very rare ocurrence, the marine biologist on board (not George Costanza) was screaming "double breach double breach!".
If its a nice day and you have the afternoon to kill it might be worthwhile.

daveydave said:
I'll start with the dinner and get back to the other stuff later. Great spot - the Omni House. Also the source of one of my favorite trivia questions!

I must have missed something... what's the trivia question?

I am staing ath the Royal Sonesta in Cambride on the St Charles River. Shall I drive to the Fleet Center & pay the parking, take a cab or can I walk. I am concerned about the walk back after the concert (safety issue!)

daveydave...great rundown!

The USS Constitution IS worth it....even if you cannot get on board (which I could not last year for some reason) there is a WWII battleship right next to it that is really cool to climb around. My grandfather was in WWII on a ship, so it was interesting to see their living quarters and things like that.

Daveydave, your crisism of Mike's is a bit harsh. Although I like modern as well, I prefer Mike's. And if cannolis are not what you are into, Mikes has a better selection of other goodies! But if tiramisu is what you crave, go to cafe vittoria (right next to mikes) and get yourself a cappacino and a nice slice of heaven!!!!

For dinner, my Noth End favorites are Giacomos and Monica's. Giacomo's is very crowded, they don't take credit cards, and you must wait in line to get in (no reservations) but it is GREAT! They specialize in fresh Italian seafood dishes, and their menu, which changes daily, is written on two huge chalkboards in the restaurant. Monica's is nicer, and do take reservations, and is a little pricier. If you are looking for a great celebration restaurant, Billy Joel's favorite Via Matta is AMAZING. The food is top notch and the service is personal, slightly informal, but comprehensive. Finally, it's worth mentioning that our boys, yes Bono, The Edge, Larry, and Adam, all ate the last time they were in town at one of the priciest places in town, Radius. I have not had the opportunity to eat there, but I hear it is an extraordinary experience.

Finally, the restaurant in the hotel at which you are staying invented the Boston Cream pie, and the Parker House roll! If you have time, try them both!

I'm a masshole as well. I live in NYC now, but I'm a Boston man for life.

For the people that might get to the concert with only minutes to spare, for a quick bite, try

HALFTIME PIZZA across the street from the Boston Garden (good to have the name mostly back).

It's my favorite pizza in the world. It might be because I associate it with Bruins games, BU games, Celtics games and U2 concerts. But I still think it holds it's own.

Whatever you do, have a wicked good time doing it and check out Newbury Comics (my favorite music store) located on Newbury street.

The Greatest Bar will be a good place to go before, its right down the street. 3 floors...

I have an extra single ticket to Tuesday's show - it's rear of stage, but seems like a pretty good seat - ROW A! of the club section. Will only sell for face value to real U2 fans. E-mail me at Bostonmike4444@yahoo.com

Seat location: section CLB153, row A, seat 9
Total Charge: $108.80 - I live in Boston and will be at Tuesday's show, so we can arrange something.

happy880 said:
I am staing ath the Royal Sonesta in Cambride on the St Charles River. Shall I drive to the Fleet Center & pay the parking, take a cab or can I walk. I am concerned about the walk back after the concert (safety issue!)

You can walk to Lechmere and take the Green Line two stops to North Station.

I have seats (not GA). When should I be there and when is the concert (approximately) going to be over? If ya know... Thanks!

I live near Plymouth MA, and I'm riding the T into Boston with a friend for the 5/28 show. So I sort of know Boston- GO RED SOX!!!

Hi,my girlfriend and I are flying in from London on monday (23rd) we are going to a tribute band party that night and going to the show on the 24th. We are staying at the shumut inn,I hear its close to the fleet centre.We only have 2 nights in boston.Basically we only have one day to do stuff(Tuesday) so was wondering if anyone has any recomendations,we are travelling to new york on Wednesday,maybe someone knows an interesting way of getting down there. Thanks a lot.

daveydave said:

WHERE TO EAT:
=============

IMO, there is nothing like enjoying a Friday or Saturday night out in the North End. I quick 15 minute
from the Fleet Center or your hotel and you're in the North End. Great for just walking around, having
dinner or coffee / dessert.

ITALIAN / NORTH END
=================
Terramia Ristorante - just had a great meal here.
98 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113
(617) 523-3112

Cantina Italiana
346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113

Piccola Venezia
263 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113

AL Dente Restaurant - probably my all time favorite, nice but not as romantic IMO.
109 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113

NORTH END DESSERT
=================
You have to go over to Modern Pastry after dinner. Mike's Pastry isn't fresh.
Don't listen to tourists or get caught up with where the Presidents go.
This place serves fresh canoli. Mike's Pastry lets them sit overnight
and did I mention it's overrated? GO TO MODERN PASTRY!!!

Modern Pastry Shop
257 Hanover
Boston, MA 02113

SURF & TURF
==============
Durgin Park
340 Faneuil Hall Market Pl
Boston, MA 02109

After Durgin - walk around Fanuel Hall a bit. Nice shops, dessert, street performers. This is
the heart of Boston.

SEAFOOD:
==============
Legal Sea Foods - I recommend the one close to the Aquarium, you can't go wrong here.
Awarded "Best Seafood Restaurant in America" by NBC Today Show

May I add Palgiuca's and Cafe Vittoria to places to eat at in the North End?

And do NOT go to Mikes, as he said. Overrated, overpriced.

Everyone should definitely try to take the T if you can--it's crappy for a subway, but it's a lot easier than driving around in downtown Boston. Anyone who wants T info: http://www.mbta.com. (North Station is underneath the Fleetcenter.)

And to the person staying in Cambridge--you can walk to Lechmere, which is supposed to be on the green line like North Station, but the green line between North Station and Lechmere is shut down for track work, so you'll have to take a shuttle between the two. I've found the shuttles to be inconvenient and seriously overcrowded--so you might want to consider just getting on the red line at Harvard/Central Square and going south to Downtown Crossing/Park Street and then taking the green or orange line back north to North Station (the orange line is faster)--probably wouldn't be much slower than the shuttle bus.

As for getting to New York, some graduate students I know like to take something called the "Chinatown Bus"--I don't know much about it, but I think it's cheap and leaves from either South Station or Chinatown (both are T stops).

I really like the Museum of Fine Arts--it has its own T stop on the green line E train. My boyfriend and I work in the area and sometimes on nice days we skip out of lab early and go.

Last edited:
More answers:

The Sonesta - it's a 10 minute walk to the fleet center from your hotel. By the time you walk to Lechmere, wait to get on and ride -you most likely would have walked to the fleet center. Safety is not an issue walking from the Sonesta to the Fleet at night. There are really no neighborhoods between, it's all business and industrial. Like other said - take the T (transportation / subway) or walk.

The North End - I always think of "throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guity!" Same thing applies to great restaurants in the North End. Walk down Hanover St., spin around 5 times with your eyes closed and point. It's really that easy!

I might have been a bit hard on Mike's. It does have a bigger selection. I'm just saying, if you're going to have cannoli, you have to go to Modern. Hey, here's an original idea. Go to both!!!! Have Mike's cannoli after dinner, and bring back a bunch of things from both places to the hotel. Pasty for breakfast! It's vacation - why not????

Constitution - yeah, check it out. It's 10 minutes walk from the fleet center. If you're in the mood for a bite, or a drink - check out the best view of Boston at the Tavern on the water. Just ask them at the Constitution. It's got to be one of the best kept secrets in Boston. Picture a look across the harbor at the Boston skyline, having a beer or wine while the city lights up! Not too upscale - just a good pub. I recommend the clam chowder there - some of the best around. Steak tips and anything pub like is good.

Halftime Pizza - very good. NYC has the best stuff, but this isn't bad.

More to come!

daygloeyes2 said:

May I add Palgiuca's and Cafe Vittoria to places to eat at in the North End?

And do NOT go to Mikes, as he said. Overrated, overpriced.

And I'll add another fine North End establishment - Lucca. Awesome place.

As for Legal Seafoods, the food is great, but bring your wallet. It's way overpriced.

ajsearls said:
we are travelling to new york on Wednesday,maybe someone knows an interesting way of getting down there. Thanks a lot.

In terms of getting to NY in an "interesting" way, you can take the Fung Wah bus, otherwise known as the "Chinatown Bus". I think that it's pretty cheap (maybe $20?) and runs from Chinatown in Boston to Chinatown in NY almost on the hour. The website is down for me right now, but here it is for more info sometime soon: www.fungwahbus.com I think that they have some other competition, but I don't know any of the names. I see Fung Wah all the time when driving to NY. I've never taken it, but I hear that it's a great deal.

Also, there's Amtrak, which is comfy, but expensive. You can catch it from either South Station (NOT where the Fleet is) or Back Bay station. I think that it can run you 60+ dollars one way...

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info,think the train sounds good,probably be quicker and more comfortable.We are so excited,never been anywhere on east coast of the states.

Thanks to all the massholes! Great info, everyone.

We look forward to our first trip to Boston (and mainly, we look forward to our first U2 concert)!

ajseals:

I will respond to you a bit later today. I'd like to think of what I would do with 1 day.

The Trivia Question:

What two famous politcal figures worked at the Omni Parker House? One as a dishwasher, the other as a bus boy.

dave

Dishwasher: Tip O'Neill
Busboy: Ted Kennedy (He used to swill whatever was left in peoples' drinks when he bussed their glasses, got fired for grabbing full scotches off tables, saying, "Looks like you're finished with that" grabbing it and downing it on average 16 times a shift)

Mass is a Puritan state and the bars close early - last call is around 1 AM (this is when NY gets ready to go out) . If you need that 1 last drink go to a Chineese restaurant in Chinatown and ask for the "cold tea" They will bring you a tea pot of beer for appx $6-$7.

for a quick quick buzz get a Scorpion Bowl at the Hong Kong in Fanuel Hall. The Black Rose also in Fanuel Hall usually has live Irish music so may be a fun place have a pint and to set the mood.

DON"T DRIVE! very difficult city to drive in and the "Masshole" reputation was due to the way we drive. The T is great but walking is the best way to experience any city. Everything is much closer above ground walking compared to the T underneath.

Back
Top Bottom