Do those of you coming to Boston have questions? / Please bring the sun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wolfeden said:
we're all gonna drown.

have you SEEN the forecast? :crack:
Well heck all the out of towners and those 4 guys from Dublin should get to experience a good old fashioned Nor'easter once in their lives anyway...they're just lucky its May and not February.

hibricc said:

Thanks for the info, mofo23. A quick call to the FleetCenter garage tells me that parking after 3pm is $22... which is about the same as I pay to park over by Fenway for a game, so not totally outrageous.
I prefer the George Costanza system (which he applies to both parking and sex), "why pay for something when if I apply myself, I can find it for free".

daveydave said:
It is and shall ever be - The Four Seasons. For security reasons.

However, you don't just go over there and decide you want to grab a drink at their bar. You don't get in the building during U2 week unless you are a guest. Otherwise, I can imagine it would be a helluva U2 fan party in there. I'm sure it's the same way in Chicago. Quite sure they hit Edge's place on the west coast or Bono's in NY.

Actually, I had no problems getting into the lounge at the hotel they were staying at in Chicago. But I felt a bit weird being in there so I left after 5 minutes.

few comments for those not in the GA line already
1. GA line report:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128450
2. In Charlestown, by the Pilgrim garage, you cant get on 93 North anymore, only south. Take a right on Rutherford Ave and follow signs for 93 through Sullivan Sq
3. Seaport Hotel is further away than the rest of the hotels. Its on the waterfront in South Boston, not Boston
4. best place for a 'good' Guinness near the arena is Paddy Burke's. I'll be starting my day there...the rest of the 'Irish' bars in the area are Irish in name only. Actually, McGann's has a good one too.

just curious--what's a "good Guinness?"

isn't all Guiness good? or at least good for you?

good for what ales you?

OK, I'll stop.

Seriously, though, do you think the keg they have on tap at one pub tastes better than the keg they have at another a block away? Could be, I suppose, depending on the temp. they keep it at or how quick their turnover is.

I had a friend from Ireland (Wicklow) tell me that when she came over the the U.S. (California) she was surpised at how inferior the Guiness was over here (even on tap).

there's huge differences between one place and another. You can get a 'good' Guinness anywhere, even California, its just more rare. And this isnt my interpretation of 'good' There are rules that Guinness have, and even contests that follow the rules to see the best poured pint. But the differences between bars near the arena, are like you said, turnover (huge difference), and storage temperature, and also the lines from the kegs to the taps, but most importantly, from one bar to the next, is how its poured. Some bars teach their bartenders to pour correctly, some bars have them pour it as quickly as possible.

THIS WEATHER IS JUST NOT RIGHT!

I pitty anyone in GA line today.

You deserve to hear "Kite" into "Rain" into 11 O'Clock

"It's cold outside folks, but I'm sure by 9pm it will be friggin hot in there!"

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BLOW AWAY IN GA LINES!

WELCOME TO BOSTON VISITORS! NOW YOU KNOW WHY WE ARE SUCH A MISERABLE GROUP OF PEOPLE! HAHA

DAVE

Last edited:
GretzkyU2Yanks said:
there's huge differences between one place and another. You can get a 'good' Guinness anywhere, even California, its just more rare. And this isnt my interpretation of 'good' There are rules that Guinness have, and even contests that follow the rules to see the best poured pint. But the differences between bars near the arena, are like you said, turnover (huge difference), and storage temperature, and also the lines from the kegs to the taps, but most importantly, from one bar to the next, is how its poured. Some bars teach their bartenders to pour correctly, some bars have them pour it as quickly as possible.
you're right about that--I do a little brewing myself so appreciate the finer points

kellyahern said:

I wish I could join you guys :hug:

But I'm flying in just for the show (no sense in getting a hotel room if the concert's over at 11:30 and your plane boards at 6 a.m. right? :reject: ).

Ever see the film "Before Sunrise"?

GretzkyU2Yanks & DaveyDave info

GretzkyU2Yanks and DaveyDave,

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll walk it from the Royal Sonesta. I'm from Jersey and it's not that pretty here either. As long as you say it's safe and Fleet is close then I should have no problem. I had to ask since I will be going to the concert by myself.

well if you're from Jersey then all rules are off....haha, only kidding.
you are definitely safe on your way there in the light so you'll be able to make your choice on how to get back afterwards. Anyway, walking directions: Make a right out of your hotel. Walk to the light and make a right onto McGrath Highway (not really a highway dont worry). The museum of science will be on your right. Pass that, and cross over the river (very small at this spot) and you'll be in Leverett Circle. Its under construction, so the pedestrian route always changes, but its marked pretty well since there are pedestrians going to and from the museum. Get through Leverret Circle and you'll see the back of the arena up in front of you on the left.

Hello all lontime fellow u2 fans,

I had the misfortune of being shut out in the presale and was hoping that one of you might have an extra LOGE ticket for the Thursday show in Boston on 5/26.

My wife found a ticket but I am still empty handed...can someone PLEASE help me out?

email me at:

openbottle2004@hotmail.com

Thank-you again for your considerations and I hope to see you all at the show on Thursday! :)

Best,

HIH

my GF works in the Prudential. Crazy packed there all morning. They gave out wrist bands to those online that would be guarenteed signing by Bono. The line is well past that now though. Even with the wristband you still need to stay inline, the wristband was just so they knew when they had signed 'enough'

U2Girl1978 said:
So, does anyone know which hotel U2 might be at? :shifty:

Just read this morning that are staying at the Ritz Carlton.

Up till last week it was the Four Seasons (as usual) but then the Ritz must've come thru with a good deal.

I saw them there in 1992. Went to Sun Brunch and hung out awhile afterwards. Saw them as they were leaving for the 3rd night at Foxboro for the Zoo TV outside broadcast. Fond memories!

I grew up in the same neck of the woods (heck, same woods) as Daveydave and work downtown. Just a few things to add:

My favorite North End restaurant is Antico Forno on Salem Street (next one over from Hanover). Just don't go and take my table! ;-)

Grand Canal's been gone for about 18 months. It's still a bar owned by the same guy, just not an Irish one.

Anthem is where Commonwealth Brewery used to be on Portland Street across from the Garden. I was there last night, excellent martinis and munchies, a bit high priced and an older 30+ crowd. Liked it. Try the Fried Twinkies!

On the Modern vs. Mike's argument...Mike's not only lets food sit out overnight but also freezes and thaws. I ordered a "fresh" cake to celebrate a co-worker's birthday and had to thaw it in a microwave to cut it. All the restaurants in the North End buy from Modern if they don't bake onsite.

Enjoy Boston...where if it was 12 degrees colder this rain would be 3 feet of snow. Twenty seven days before the official start of summer.

Seeing as we've kind of created our own little group here, thoughts on the show last night?

I thought it was average & I thought it was more the band than the crowd (300 level acted more like a lower level). I'm sure the weather didn't help either. A good warm up show for he week though.

Was it just me or was Bono's voice incredibly rough?

Sorry about the Grand Canal - I don't down them as often as I used to, and I when I'm on Canal st. It's usually the other end.

dave

Dave, I just wanted to say thanks for the info on parking...I parked at that Nautica garage, it was so great. We got right out, and it was a short walk, even for a pregnant woman in the midst of a nor'easter!!! I will always park there now, we were the only ones pulling out of the lot when we left. I live about 30 mins south of town and was home by midnight, can't thank you enough for the info!!!!

I'll comment on the show later, when I have more time.

Local report as well...
The place across the Street from the Fleet was booming last nite the Show from the floor was Loud ears were not normal till after 5 today no earplugs
People in GA were ALIVE and signing loud at the right moments
really enjoyed the 4 walk out at the END to the lip of stage..
I thought security was good we got a disposable camera in will do it again hopefully Saturday nite!

I'm with you, Daveydave... last night's show ranks very low for me (probably 11th out of 13 lifetime). Granted, I was in the first row of the balcony, so distance was a factor, but Bono's voice was VERY sketchy, and the show just didn't flow.

Hoping for some magic tomorrow night in GA....

Kelly,

Yes, it's pretty easy to take the T (short for Transportation) as we call it. There is a blue line stop at the airport.

At the airport terminal you'll take a shuttle bus to the airlport's blue line stop and get on the T. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_logans.html

Once on the blue line, it's pretty easy to get to the venue or any parts Boston. Here's a map:

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp

As you will see, you can take the blue line to State St. and then take the Orange to the Fleet Center

OR you can go Blue line to Green get off at Government Center and take the green line to the Fleet Center.

Either will work just fine.

Jenn121 - Your welcome! I'm glad the Nautica Garage worked for you. I used it as well. You can't beat it for Fleet Center events. It's usually a nice walk over the locks and through the park. Last night was a bit lousy but like you, my wife and I were out of there and home to the North Shore in 30 minutes. Getting home at a normal hour was key!

Hibricc - yeah, not the best - but I'm really looking forward to Thursday and Saturday. For some reason I think it will only build to greater things as the week goes along.

Overall - feeling bad for those that took time off to see Boston and are only getting the shows out of it. In all my life, I don't recall weather this bad at this time of year. It feels more like we are having a blizzard in the middle of winter than on the verge of summer. Boston can have some pretty bizarre weather patterns, but this fells like the apocalypse!

anybody else not doing any work this morning?? Cant wait until 2 PM when its time to go...

just wanted to thank DaveyDave for starting this thread. Its been an enjoyable read, lots of great info.

see ya'll in the bomb shelter, no way Im not getting in...

ohh and I asked the guy running the GA line this AM if they were still going to take cameras even though U2.com asks for our pics. He said he's seen that on u2.com but U2 still hasnt changed their policy with the venue. So good luck with getting cameras in.

Last edited:
daveydave said:
Overall - feeling bad for those that took time off to see Boston and are only getting the shows out of it. In all my life, I don't recall weather this bad at this time of year. It feels more like we are having a blizzard in the middle of winter than on the verge of summer. Boston can have some pretty bizarre weather patterns, but this fells like the apocalypse! [/B]

Hey Dave, no worries about the weather--the sun will be shining in the Fleet Center!

I'm still looking forward to walking around the North End end, even if things are a little wet.

For what it's worth, I'll be on the floor (hopefully the ellipse!) and I'm going to gamble on a 7pm entrance to try and boost my odds of getting ellipsed.

If anybody wants to meet after the show, I was thinking of having a pint at Paddy Burke's over on Portland Street. I'll be the tall guy with the black sou'wester on.

Here's hoping Bono spent the past couple days resting in his hotel room sipping lemon tea to restore his voice!

Back
Top Bottom