Do those of you coming to Boston have questions? / Please bring the sun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:
Dishwasher: Tip O'Neill
Busboy: Ted Kennedy (He used to swill whatever was left in peoples' drinks when he bussed their glasses, got fired for grabbing full scotches off tables, saying, "Looks like you're finished with that" grabbing it and downing it on average 16 times a shift)

LOL! You have GOT to be kiddin' me?!? Geez!:huh:

rica said:
Mass is a Puritan state and the bars close early - last call is around 1 AM (this is when NY gets ready to go out)
In Boston, bars are open till 2AM (its 1AM in some Bay State cities and towns and 2AM in others), and one can always get a drink at 2:15 or 2:30 at Daisy Buchanan's on Newbury Street.:wink:

best late night 'za in north end

Hey D, thanks for the tips. Great thread.

I'm heading down from Maine on Thursday (will prob. catch the train from Portland into North Station) and have a very critical question:

Where's the best late night pizza in the North End? I figure by the time the show's over and I get my butt over there it'll be pushing midnight.

And by "best pizza," I mean the tastiest, freshest authentic italian-style pizza, you know, the kind with the real thin crust, fresh basil, etc.

And after the snack, I'd love to go out to an Irish pub of some sort--any recommendations?

While I'm at it, where's a good cheap bed? It'll just be me--I'm meeting a friend from Western mass Thursday afternoon but they're driving back after the show.

Tip O'Neil and Ted Kennedy - LMAO!

Those would be great answers. Unfortunately, they are wrong. Just a thought, if you do get the trivia correct, just post that you know and let others find it on their own - If people are interested, I wouldn't want to spoil it for them if they like bits of history.

Here are some websites:
http://www.boston.com - the weather looks like it will be terrible this week. Average temperature in Boston is 68 degrees in May, but we have only had 2 days that have been that warm during the month. It's looking like rain. Too bad, Elevation Leg1 was perfect weather all week.

1 thing I find really interesting about the North End that most Bostonians don't even realize:
http://www.panoramamagazine.com/panoramamagazine/articles/boston_confidential_molasses.asp

I'm glad someone mentioned the bus out of China town. I've heard about it and wanted to mention it. I don't know anyone that has done it.

Working on:
cheap bed, late night pizza and the 1day is all you get material.

daveydave

erin4618 said:

And to the person staying in Cambridge--you can walk to Lechmere, which is supposed to be on the green line like North Station, but the green line between North Station and Lechmere is shut down for track work, so you'll have to take a shuttle between the two. I've found the shuttles to be inconvenient and seriously overcrowded--so you might want to consider just getting on the red line at Harvard/Central Square and going south to Downtown Crossing/Park Street and then taking the green or orange line back north to North Station (the orange line is faster)--probably wouldn't be much slower than the shuttle bus.

Just want to be sure cause I'm taking red line from Braintree to park street and then green line to north station. Is this route ok or is north station shut down?

"Oh how I love cold tea, let me count the ways."

randhail - Yes, this weather is crap. Maybe I'll take a half hour break from work and walk over to see how you're all doing. I crazy will I look yelling out "Randhail, where are you?" Actually, probably not that crazy, I think I've seen the local crazies yelling similar things.

ZOOTB - North Station T stop is running fine. your route is fine.

Cheap BED - check out the new Marriot in Charlestown - they might have good rates to attract new people. Also, try the YMCA in the navy yard. I'm not kidding. I plays host to a lot of people from other countries having surgury at Mass Gen Hospital. The place looks clean - it's not some type of half way house or anything like that. There's also the Holiday in on Cambridge St. near the Hospital. That's within 3 minutes of a walk to the arena.

London Folks - rainy weather day in Boston. Museum of fine arts, science museum, aquirium. Both the science museum and aquarium have OMNI theatres movie places. Those are cool.

Hey, stop by our new Aquarium - it's called the Big Dig tunnel! :) Drive threw and you might occasionally see a whale, some sea bass, or lobster moving at a pace quicker than civilians can move. We asked for a tunnel, and they gave us a funnel!

If it's nice in Boston, I'd be sipping on something in Fanuel Hall, the North End or Newbury Street - more on the south/southwest backbay part of town. Let's hope for a better forcast. It's Boston, so it could be 70 degrees or it could be snowing by Tuesday.

Hey ajsearls - what last name are you checking in under? PM if you need to or daveydave@daveydave.com

dave

You can have our sun. It was 100 freakin' degrees in Texas today and we have to put up with this every day until October. I'd gladly take 70 degrees right now!

Thanks for the tips on the room, D.

At this point, for various reasons, I'm thinking I may do the North End before the show and then maybe go out somewhere else afterward. Where would you go to get a pint of Guiness or Harp?

As for the weather, all I can say is I'll be bringing my sou'wester!

Hey there One Kitty Kat - we're also staying at the Parker House - we're coming from England on Wednesday and going to the gigs on 26th/28th - see you in the bar!!!

:wave:

matt_tx00 said:
You can have our sun. It was 100 freakin' degrees in Texas today and we have to put up with this every day until October. I'd gladly take 70 degrees right now!

I'd take 70 degrees right now too. It's been in 50's and miserable here for weeks. It's more like London or Seattle weather right now.

Hurricane O Reillys is a cool place to pregame and is right across from the arena....younger crowd there.

I generally prefer to enjoy a few drink after the show, not before. . .so where's a good midnight till 2 am Irish pub? Don't mind taking the T or walking if it isn't in the neighborhood.

>Thanks for the tips on the room, D.

Your welcome.

>At this point, for various reasons, I'm >thinking I may do the North End >before the show and then maybe go >out somewhere else afterward. Where >would you go to get a pint of Guiness >or Harp?

If you want a real black and tan, not Guiness and Bass (US's substitute), but Guiness and Harp. The following are close by:

The Grand Canal on Canal St. right across from the East side of the fleet center. Also, McGann's - 2 streets west of Canal St. "The Harp" - directly across the street from the fleet. Patty Burke's - another spot just west of Canal.

Omni Parker house - I'm giving up on the Four Seasons hotel. Enough with the U2 stalking, I'd rather stalk some U2 fans from England! At least you'll come out and say hello, sign my ticket stubs etc..

Randhail - I'd take 50 degrees with no rain this week. At least it would feel like 50 degrees and not 30.

My suggestion for GA'ers - bring a heavy blanket!

dave

I work in South Boston and am planning to T to the show after work (after-ish, say 4:00pm). I need to get a ticket, but I'm planning to record the show. If anyone has an extra and would offer at face value, I can give you a copy.

Also, I like Hurricane O-Reillys and also, the Sports Bar is pretty cool as well.

For those of you planning on driving and parking, good luck. THere is a parking near the Tip O'Neill building and there is also a large garage up the street from the Garden/ Fleet/ TD Waterhouse/ Hello My Name Is.... Arena. I've lived here for 22 of my 28 years and I would still take the T in lieu of driving and parking. It's a pain in the arse.

Can't wait until tomorrow.

From the forecast it seems that its likely those with December GA tix will have a warmer, more comfortable wait in line than those with GA this week (especially Tuesday).

daveydave - if you turn up at the Omni Parker I will gladly sign your ticket stub, I'll even wear my sunglasses for effect.

seriously - shouldn't we sort out some sort of meeting venue for the Friday inbetween the gigs

Someone from Boston nominate a boozer - let's go wild.......

mofo23 said:
For those of you planning on driving and parking, good luck. THere is a parking near the Tip O'Neill building and there is also a large garage up the street from the Garden/ Fleet/ TD Waterhouse/ Hello My Name Is.... Arena. I've lived here for 22 of my 28 years and I would still take the T in lieu of driving and parking. It's a pain in the arse.

Can't wait until tomorrow.

I did the drive/park thing for all 4 Elevation shows, with no problem. Parked right at the Fleet Center garage. I know the BigDig has wreaked havoc with the area, but can't we still park there?

Fast Eddy said:
I generally prefer to enjoy a few drink after the show, not before. . .so where's a good midnight till 2 am Irish pub? Don't mind taking the T or walking if it isn't in the neighborhood.

The T stops running around midnight, so be prepared to walk or cab it if you end up staying out until 2.

hibricc,
Yep, you can still park there but last time I checked it was $30+ for event parking. This may have changed since, but I'm sure it will be expensive. The dig is wrapping up and driving has become a lot easier, but if you're unfamiliar with the area, you can still easily lose your way.

mofo23 said:
hibricc,
Yep, you can still park there but last time I checked it was $30+ for event parking. This may have changed since, but I'm sure it will be expensive. The dig is wrapping up and driving has become a lot easier, but if you're unfamiliar with the area, you can still easily lose your way.

Thanks for the info, mofo23. A quick call to the FleetCenter garage tells me that parking after 3pm is $22... which is about the same as I pay to park over by Fenway for a game, so not totally outrageous.

happy880 said:
I am staing ath the Royal Sonesta in Cambride on the St Charles River. Shall I drive to the Fleet Center & pay the parking, take a cab or can I walk. I am concerned about the walk back after the concert (safety issue!)

you'll definitely want to take a cab or drive from the Royal Sonesta. Memorial Drive where the hotel is located is not very pedestrian friendly. Also there is a ton of construction between the BN Garden and the hotel. And as mentioned, the green line of the T is not running and the buses are not the best. It will cost more to park than the cab both ways so id suggest taking a cab. Maybe walk there in the daylight, but with construction could be messy after the show. Not much of an issue with 'unsafe' do to crime though.

Whoever is doing GA tomorrow be careful as the weather is reporting high winds up to 60 mph and rain, rain, rain. :mad:

There are alot of great places at Fanuel Hall. I will be your tour guide! :lol::wink:

Back
Top Bottom