CANADIAN Tour Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jedi Larry said:
Does Seattle lack an adequate arena around 15-20,000? Always wondered why they skip that city so much and opt for Tacoma instead.

I think Key Arena is very small.

The Key Arena's overall capacity is 17,000+. It used to be called the Seattle Center Coliseum with a capacity of 13,000+. But it was renovated several years ago. The Tacoma Dome's overall capacity is 23-24,000.

IMO if U2 charge an average of $100 on this next tour (which I think they will), they'll only be able to sellout a 360 degree end stage at Key Arena instead of a 360 at the Tacoma Dome, like last time. If they do wind up playing the Tacoma Dome again, they'll only be able to sellout a 270 end stage configuration there.

Another question is this:

If POP was so expensive and they scaled down for Elevation, wouldn't it gather that tickets would cost less for those scaled down productions?

They might be pricing themselves right out of many markets.

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:
Another question is this:

If POP was so expensive and they scaled down for Elevation, wouldn't it gather that tickets would cost less for those scaled down productions?

Not at all. Economics 101 has shown us the complete opposite. Generally (not always), the more $$$ you charge for something, (the) less (likely) people are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by jeddi LarryThey might be pricing themselves right out of many markets.

If U2's ticket prices are 60-65% higher (as they usually are) in North America, which would be roulghly $125 for this next tour, then you'd be absolutely right...for most markets that is...

Last edited:
But what I'm saying is, why couldn't U2 charge less for this tour if it's a less expensive production than they charged for POPmart?

EDIT: Ah got your answer.

That's the thing. For POPmart they lugged these massive, incredibly expensive screens around.

Now they strip down and the prices go UP?! Am I missing something here? :huh:

The better be careful or they'll end up like Elton John and Sting charging $1,000 bucks a ticket at Carnegie Hall.

Rock and Roll?

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:
But what I'm saying is, why couldn't U2 charge less for this tour if it's a less expensive production than they charged for POPmart?

EDIT: Ah got your answer.

That's the thing. For POPmart they lugged these massive, incredibly expensive screens around.

Now they strip down and the prices go UP?! Am I missing something here? :huh:

The better be careful or they'll end up like Elton John and Sting charging $1,000 bucks a ticket at Carnegie Hall.

Rock and Roll?

It's a business. And it's strictly business for U2 these days.

Last edited:
They better be careful or they'll end up like Elton John and Sting charging $1,000 bucks a ticket at Carnegie Hall.

Rock and Roll?

NoControl said:

Not at all. Economics 101 has shown us the complete opposite. Generally (not always), the more $$$ you charge for something, (the) less (likely) people are willing to pay for it.

Then your Economics 101 books are seriously out of date.

This past holiday season showed us that high-priced items were HUGE sellers, while all the traditional less expensive stores (J.C. Penney, Sears) suffered a drop in sales. Additionally, more expensive electronics, like $300 iPods, were big sellers.

The fact that every single show on the Elevation tour sold out also suggests that people are willing to pay, despite the higher prices.

What Economics really stresses is (1) make a good product and people will buy it, even if higher in price and (2) higher demand justifies a higher price. Clearly the higher price of U2's tickets or the iPod hasn't deterred either from selling well as both are in demand as they are good products.

The fact that every single show on the Elevation tour sold out also suggests that people are willing to pay, despite the higher prices.

Not every show was a sellout doctor who.

:wink:

And their increasing ticket prices are driving many fans from their shows in the midwest(St. Louis, Kansas City) and even parts of Florida(Tampa).

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Then your Economics 101 books are seriously out of date.

This past holiday season showed us that high-priced items were HUGE sellers, while all the traditional less expensive stores (J.C. Penney, Sears) suffered a drop in sales. Additionally, more expensive electronics, like $300 iPods, were big sellers.

I was primarily talking about U2's tours. But that might be true. But there's a lot of factors that go into it - too many to mention.

Originally posted by doctorwho The fact that every single show on the Elevation tour sold out also suggests that people are willing to pay, despite the higher prices.

Tampa, St. Louis, Kansas City & Sacramento did not sellout. And Lexington, Columbus & Atlanta (2nd show) only sold out in a reduced 270 degree end stage configuration. And only around 12-15 markets on the North American legs on the Elevation tour would you be right.

Originally posted by doctorwho What Economics really stresses is (1) make a good product and people will buy it, even if higher in price and (2) higher demand justifies a higher price. Clearly the higher price of U2's tickets or the iPod hasn't deterred either from selling well as both are in demand as they are good products. [/B]

Not necessarily...

Last edited:
Is a 270 configuration from the edge of the stage forward?

Like this: D

Like my state-of-the-art graphics?

The one place I would be concerned with reconnecting to a fanbase would be the midwest. That has grown way soft.

Kansas City is particularly troubling. Think about it. You have them not playing a show westward from KC until Denver and you still can't sell out Kemper Arena?

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:

And their increasing ticket prices are driving many fans from their shows in the midwest(St. Louis, Kansas City) and even parts of Florida(Tampa).

According to the record books, all shows were considered a sell out. And that's what I'm going by. Now, if there was some fudging of those books - so be it. But more official documents said "sold out".

jedi Larry said:

According to the record books, all shows were considered a sell out. And that's what I'm going by. Now, if there was some fudging of those books - so be it. But more official documents said "sold out".

However, even if every show wasn't sold out, my point doesn't change. "Almost" every show sold out and there's a reason for that. The few that didn't sell out probably wouldn't have sold out at slightly lower prices either. Sure, drop something to $10 and it will sell - but something that cheap is just that: cheap.

doctorwho said:

Well, that's pretty funny because...

CITY/360 DEGREE END STAGE CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE:

Kansas City: 17,500/14,500
St. Louis: 19,000/16,000
Tampa: 20,000/16,000
Sacramento: 17,000/15,893

Last edited:
Originally posted by doctorwho However, even if every show wasn't sold out, my point doesn't change. "Almost" every show sold out and there's a reason for that. The few that didn't sell out probably wouldn't have sold out at slightly lower prices either. Sure, drop something to $10 and it will sell - but something that cheap is just that: cheap. [/B]

You're not making too much sense here.

Don't fudge doctor who.

Not every show sold out. St. Loius was 2,000 tickets shy of a sold out show and that's in an arena below 25,000 capacity.

That is not "close enough to be considered a sellout".

And Kemper in KC was soft too. Tampa was low also.

Face it, U2 needs to shore up its fanbase in many areas in the states, and solidify it worldwide by playing places where they've never played and neglected.

In order to claim this "Biggest Band in the world, galaxy, universe, whatever" title, then you should have the biggest tours and albums.

They've done well on the album end but many other acts out-tour them and outperform them in the states and worldwide.

They're my favorite band, but they have work to do.

Last edited:
jedi Larry said:
Don't fudge doctor who.

Not every show sold out. St. Loius was 2,000 tickets shy of a sold out show and that's in an arena below 25,000 capacity.

That is not "close enough to be considered a sellout".

That's not what I wrote at all.

I said that "if some fudging of the numbers occurred" - meaning if SOMEONE ELSE fudged numbers - not me. And I stand by what I wrote. All official sources state that every show sold out. If you can state an official source that states what you wrote above about St. Louis and can provide the link or document to back up that comment, I will certainly correct my statement.

Also, I wrote that my point still stands since "almost every show sold out..." meaning that I didn't "consider it close enough" as you wrote. In other words, even if U2 didn't sell out every single show, it doesn't discount the fact that U2's tour was still wildly successful and backs up the statement that people are willing to pay higher amounts for a quality product.

Either you misread what I wrote or I stated it poorly. But your response is completely opposite of what I meant.

And Kemper in KC was soft too. Tampa was low also.

Again, I did not come across these numbers you are stating anywhere. Billboard and all other official sources indicate the Elevation tour sold out across the U.S.

Face it, U2 needs to shore up its fanbase in many areas in the states, and solidify it worldwide by playing places where they've never played and neglected.

Yes, they really need to "shore up" their fanbase. ATYCLB sold 4.2M albums in the U.S., in the era of massive free downloading and file-sharing, making it one of the best selling albums this decade. And in 5 scant weeks, HTDAAB, has gone 3x Platinum. Good things they don't have fans. :rolleyes: Sounds to me that you are the one that needs to "face it" - U2 is ridiculously popular.

Also, I hate to keep harping on this, but all sources say that U2 sold out every show on the Elevation tour. You are the only person saying otherwise. Hence, I don't think U2 need to beef up their fan base much - especially when it comes to touring.

In order to claim this "Biggest Band in the world, galaxy, universe, whatever" title, then you should have the biggest tours and albums.

They've done well on the album end but many other acts out-tour them and outperform them in the states and worldwide.

They're my favorite band, but they have work to do.

You're lucky Sting2 isn't here! LOL! Sting2 will readily back up the statement that if you combine album sales and touring data, then U2 most likely are the biggest band in the world.

With sales of over 12M for ATYCLB and a sold-out world tour (#1 in 2001) and the current strong sales for HTDAAB, U2 clearly are the world's top band.

Why you think otherwise is either because of denial or you have some very misleading statistics. Please check the proper forum for this data.

With that in mind, I wish to restate that this is the wrong forum for this conversation. Please stay on topic.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Why you think otherwise is either because of denial or you have some very misleading statistics.

I think he's one of those boys pissed off that U2 decided to make the music they like rather than he likes when they made ATYCLB, and thus no longer likes U2 because they aren't pandering to his desires.

Originally posted by doctorwho All official sources state that every show sold out. If you can state an official source that states what you wrote above about St. Louis and can provide the link or document to back up that comment, I will certainly correct my statement.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Originally posted by doctorwho Again, I did not come across these numbers you are stating anywhere. Billboard and all other official sources indicate the Elevation tour sold out across the U.S.

Also, I hate to keep harping on this, but all sources say that U2 sold out every show on the Elevation tour. You are the only person saying otherwise.

I'm saying it too, actually. And again, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Originally posted by doctorwho You're lucky Sting2 isn't here! LOL! Sting2 will readily back up the statement that if you combine album sales and touring data, then U2 most likely are the biggest band in the world.

You, once again, obviously have no clue what you're talking about. All the attendance figures I posted on the previous page of this thread come from Pimm's, U2 Live: A Concert Documentary (3rd Edition).

Let's go over them again, shall we...

CITY/360 END STAGE CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE:

Kansas City: 17,500/14,500
St. Louis: 19,000/16,000
Tampa: 20,000/16,000
Sacramento: 17,000/15,893

The Lexington, Columbus & Atlanta (2nd show) shows only sold out in a reduced 270 end stage configuration.

Also:

http://www.elevation-tour.com/articledetails146.html

http://www.elevation-tour.com/articledetails143.html

http://www.elevation-tour.com/articledetails140.html

Originally posted by doctorwho With sales of over 12M for ATYCLB and a sold-out world tour (#1 in 2001) and the current strong sales for HTDAAB, U2 clearly are the world's top band.

Clearly not. Apparently, this needs repeating once again (and I don't like repeating myself):

~ Pink Floyd has higher concert attendances (in just about every market in the world) - their past two tours sold 5.5 Million (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour '87-'88-'89) and 5.4 Million (Division Bell tour '94) tickets - with the latter tour only performed on two continents and even though ticket prices were 75% higher in most markets than compared to the former, it grossed at least $185 Million USD for both legs combined. Their overall combined concert grosses would be easily higher than anyone's if they were more active. Even though Floyd's prices increase, their attendances grow consistently every tour. On the other hand, every time The Stones or U2's ticket prices increase, their attendance decreases. Floyd's popularity has no roof to it, as their attendance growth rate for each market worldwide (apart from Cleveland and Chicago) is anywhere from 5% -100% each tour. Mostly, it's 25-35% per market - regardless of their usual 75% ticket price increase for each tour since 1977 (excluding the relatively few shows for The Wall in 1980-81 - which btw wasn't technically a tour). A new Pink Floyd tour would quite easily smash any competition by a mile and break just about every record imaginable.

~ Pink Floyd has sold nearly 200 Million records worldwide. Their back catalog sales are roughly 4 Million worldwide and 2 Million in the US annually.

~ Every studio album released by Pink Floyd has at least sold 7 Million copies since U2's been on the scene. All of U2's albums haven't done that.

Pink Floyd is the biggest band in the world for a band who is still officially together.

Originally posted by doctorwho Why you think otherwise is either because of denial or you have some very misleading statistics. Please check the proper forum for this data.

ROTFLMFAO :lol:

You know something? I was just going to say the same thing.

Originally posted by doctorwho With that in mind, I wish to restate that this is the wrong forum for this conversation. Please stay on topic. [/B]

Convenient.

Last edited:
So the Canadian cities that we hope to see U2 in are:

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
Quebec City
Halifax

If we're going to dream - lets dream big :yes:l

NoControl said:
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Talking about yourself? Doctorwho is one of the most respected people here when it comes to statistical knowledge. You, however, are clearly arguing against U2 rather than for the facts.

The reason for likely ticket price increases is due to supply and demand. U2 doesn't decide how much their tickets are worth. We do (the paying customer). Whatever the market will allow is what u2's tickets will be priced at. Because of the success of the HTDAAB, U2's demand has grown. But their supply is limited. In addition to inflation, this is why we'll likely see a ticket price increase.

Doctor Who, your are simply WRONG.

Pimm Jal De La Parra's U2 Live book documents attendance and quotes the Savvis Center Manager(St. Louis) as saying the show was "2,000 shy of a sellout".

Read it and weep! :madspit:

BTW, when you're looking those FACTS up, read the Kansas City, Sacramento, and Tampa figures too.

booster
"But their supply is limited. In addition to inflation, this is why we'll likely see a ticket price increase"

The supply wouldn't be so limited if they played more shows in each market.

Last edited:
H said:
boring, boring, boring.

Listen to the music, go to the shows, relax and enjoy.

Leave the figure crunching to the execs in the suits.

Or to the Peeling off those Dollar Bills forum, where it really belongs.

Please do respect the topic here, which is Canadian Tour Dates (for U2).

Last edited:
I'm surprised they've never played in Nove Scotia or New Brunswick.

This would be a cool U2 Canadian tour:

First leg:
Moncton
Montreal
Toronto
Edmonton
Vancouver

Second Leg:
Halifax
Quebec City
Ottowa
Winnipeg
Saskatoon
Calgary

and Seattle :wink:

Last edited:
You know, they should just have an exclusive Canadian leg. Maybe 20 Canadian cities with multiple shows in some of those stops. We are good for it here. Outside of Ireland, we are probably the greatest U2 fans on the planet.

Leave me alone. I'm just dreaming out loud. :wink:

Axver said:

Talking about yourself? Doctorwho is one of the most respected people here when it comes to statistical knowledge. You, however, are clearly arguing against U2 rather than for the facts.

No, I'm talking about him. And he's been wrong quite a few times.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. When I see something incorrect or not factual, I usually speak up and say so. What, you can't handle that?

Back
Top Bottom