CANADIAN Tour Dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vancouver isn't the market it used to be for U2, after the ZOO TV tour...

Boy tour:

Commodore Ballroom (1,000/Sold Out)

War tour:

Queen Elizabeth Theater (2,845/Sold Out)

Joshua Tree tour:

BC Place Stadium (54,254/Sold Out...but around 10,000 tickets went on sale in Oregon and Washington State since they didn't play there on this tour)

ZOO TV tour:

Pacific Coliseum (15,000/Sold Out...Inside Broadcast leg)

BC Place Stadium (2 nights) (83,000/77,448...Outside Broadcast leg)

Total (minus return and 5-10% attending multiple shows, plus fans from Washington State returning to the BC Place shows in the Fall, especially since U2 didn't return to the Seattle area on this tour and that many of the upper level seats for the second show were only $5 ...): 47,000.

PopMart tour:

BC Place Stadium: 28,000+

Elevation tour:

GM Place (18,000/Sold Out, in about an hour)

If they could've played to more people here, they would've returned on the third leg.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the stats!
Here's hoping you get 2 shows this time around!

lmjhitman said:
Wow! Thanks for the stats!

You're welcome.

Originally posted by lmjhitman Here's hoping you get 2 shows this time around!

I doubt it. But we'll at least get one though. I'm positive of that.

Ticket prices will probably be an average of at least $100 (which is 30% higher than the Elevation tour, where the average price was over $77). If so, U2 will most likely be able to sell 14,000 of the 18,000 tickets at GM Place in a 270 degree end stage configuration. But, then again, every tour since the eighties has risen roughly 60-65% in average price. So, that would make the average price for next tour at around $125! An consequently, U2 would probably only be able to sell around 11,000 tickets in a 180 degree end stage configuration at GM Place. Here's to hoping for the lower prices...:wave:

Hey thanks for all the information! I'm kind of relieved the shows don't sell out in 15 min. like other places but then again I'm hoping for a second show since I have school still and it would be on a Friday.
Got my fingers crossed!!!

It was 45 for GA last tour 75 for regular and 125 for gold circle if i remember correctly.

And yes U2 could have played a second show in Vancouver I was there and know that a lot of people didnt get tickets.

U2 IN Winnipeg

I heard from a source that U2 was coming to play the mts centre on september 12. Can any one verify this? It would really be awesome if U2 come back to the peg.

Yahweh said:
And yes U2 could have played a second show in Vancouver I was there and know that a lot of people didnt get tickets. [/B]

When do they normally announce if they are going to have a second show?

Yahweh said:
It was 45 for GA last tour 75 for regular and 125 for gold circle if i remember correctly.

And yes U2 could have played a second show in Vancouver I was there and know that a lot of people didnt get tickets.

So was I and many fans were upset that they didn't get the tickets they wanted and had no choice but to pay $$$ for seats they really didn't want for the value of the ticket.

Also, I believe if U2 could've sold out a second show here, they would've done a return here on the third leg.

If they add a second show it will be the same day the tickets go on sale, and it is dependent upon a few things first of all demand but secondly building availability, of which GM Place isnt being used as much these days so I would fully expect a second show.

With postponing of the tour, I would not be banking on a second Vancouver show at all. There are bigger fish (markets) to fry out east that will have to be accomodated, I'm afraid.

Mucca said:
That's true.
Anyone know why there are so few U2 fans in Vancouver?

I wonder if it's because the fans that used to travel from the prairies to see them in Vancouver no longer have to, what with the recent shows in Edmonton and Calgary (OK, Edmonton is not that recent, but you know what I mean).

Mucca said:
Anyone know why there are so few U2 fans in Vancouver?

It's not that there are so few fans here. It's just that their ticket prices are so high now, that only a select amount who are willing to pay to see them play (or can afford to) will pay these prices.

I mean, the only way U2 would sellout BC Place Stadium again, is if their prices were an average of $25-35.

The ticket prices on Popmart were 45 dollars and they sold out commonwelth stadium in Edmonton twice...I was there since I live here....I expect they could sell out BC Place with a 60-70 dollar ticket price quite easily...Canada has the biggest U2 fanbase per capita outside of Ireland.

Originally posted by Yahweh I expect they could sell out BC Place with a 60-70 dollar ticket price quite easily...Canada has the biggest U2 fanbase per capita outside of Ireland.

If that was true then U2 would've been able to play to around 35,000 people on the Elevation tour in Vancouver. And hence would've been able to sellout two more shows here at GM Place on the third leg (or two shows on the first leg and one on the third leg, all with a 360 end stage configuration) to a reduced 270 end stage configuration instead of a 360. But of course, they only played one show to roughly 18,000 people...

U2 wearnt even really in the area of Vancouver on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour closest they got was Oakland and that is quite a long ways away. Not everybody gets accomodated every tour and I stated a long time ago when the 3rd leg was happening that the dates they put out didnt make much sense to me at the time and they still dont today.

Vancouver has a much bigger fanbase then most of the places that were played on the 3rd leg, so sometimes it isnt about the fanbase as proven by a lot of the dates.

Yahweh said:
U2 wearnt even really in the area of Vancouver on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour closest they got was Oakland and that is quite a long ways away. Not everybody gets accomodated every tour and I stated a long time ago when the 3rd leg was happening that the dates they put out didnt make much sense to me at the time and they still dont today.

That's because they didn't schedule themselves to be here for obvious reasons. U2 isn't going to schedule shows in markets that do 15,000 and not hit larger markets where they can do two or three times that amount - especially when they're within a relatively close distance on the same continent.

Anyways, the point that I was trying to make nicely in my above post, was what you stated would be next to impossible. The vast majority of the time, U2 primarily book shows where the demand is. Why do you think they didn't return to Jacksonville, New Orleans, San Antonio, etc., for example on the Elevation tour? You think that was a coincidence that these markets did poorly on the PopMart tour?

Originally posted by Yahweh Vancouver has a much bigger fanbase then most of the places that were played on the 3rd leg, so sometimes it isnt about the fanbase as proven by a lot of the dates.

If you've seen the stats that I posted a page or two ago in this thread comparing Seattle, Vancouver & Alberta (Calgary & Edmonton) and had the chance to view many of the other attendances on the Elevation tour, obviously not - at least in terms of fans who are willing to pay major $$$ to see them play live.

Last edited:
Canadian Tour Dates

I read somewhere that U2 is also playing Toronto on September 16 and 17.

Also heard a rumour from a friend of a friend of a friend who works in the music biz in England that U2 is planning on rehearsing for the tour in Vancouver, Canada. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Re: Canadian Tour Dates

VertigoVid said:
Also heard a rumour from a friend of a friend of a friend who works in the music biz in England that U2 is planning on rehearsing for the tour in Vancouver, Canada. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Of all the rumours I've heard so far....

I like this one the best :up:

NoControl said:

If that was true then U2 would've been able to play to around 35,000 people on the Elevation tour in Vancouver. And hence would've been able to sellout two more shows here at GM Place on the third leg (or two shows on the first leg and one on the third leg, all with a 360 end stage configuration) to a reduced 270 end stage configuration instead of a 360. But of course, they only played one show to roughly 18,000 people...

The issue concering why U2 didn't play a second night in Vancouver during the Elevation tour in 2001 was addressed back in the day leading up to and shortly after the concert.

The Vancouver Canucks played the next night. It was all about logistics and bookings. U2 chose to play in Tacoma on the previous night as a result. The Tacoma Dome wasn't exactly top choice for U2, but they had to address the fact that they couldn't book two nights in a row in Vancouver at that time of the month.

Roland of Gilead said:

The issue concering why U2 didn't play a second night in Vancouver during the Elevation tour in 2001 was addressed back in the day leading up to and shortly after the concert.

The Vancouver Canucks played the next night. It was all about logistics and bookings. U2 chose to play in Tacoma on the previous night as a result. The Tacoma Dome wasn't exactly top choice for U2, but they had to address the fact that they couldn't book two nights in a row in Vancouver at that time of the month.

And I've already explained that if that was true, one of the above multiple situations would've taken place.

Souly said:
Will they still be hitting Montreal the first leg?

Montreal and Toronto share geographic proximity and offer easy sellouts, but I think whether they play either venue on the first leg will depend on the dates they have to work with. Nobody seems to really know what's going on with the tour but in the event that U2 have to shorten the first leg, I have to think they will prioritize their most important markets; Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago, LA and work around those. If Montreal and Toronto can't offer dates in the appropriate available slots, my guess is they'll be rescheduled and tacked on the back of the tour. Who knows?

Jon

Does Seattle lack an adequate arena around 15-20,000? Always wondered why they skip that city so much and opt for Tacoma instead.

I think Key Arena is very small.

Back
Top Bottom