Brisbane Pre-Annoucement Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well im at least happy about them coming here!

i just hope its at the BEC and not ANZ.

Only 27 more posts to go on the old thread and this becomes our new home! :hyper:

Man, Adelaide always gets screwed, gonna have to make the trek to Sydney or Melbourne, or both.

Sken said:
Man, Adelaide always gets screwed, gonna have to make the trek to Sydney or Melbourne, or both.

I think Adelaide only has itself to blame after poor ZooTV attendance.

Hahaha,

Well 30,000 at ZooTV is not poor, its more than Melbourne and Brisbane got for Popmart, but I know where you are coming from, for some wierd reason this is not a huge U2 market, but I don't think it would be any weaker than Brisbane or Perth.

And this Adelaide I speak of is looks like an ass, always bent over and getting, you know what I mean:)

Sken said:
Hahaha,

Well 30,000 at ZooTV is not poor, its more than Melbourne and Brisbane got for Popmart, but I know where you are coming from, for some wierd reason this is not a huge U2 market, but I don't think it would be any weaker than Brisbane or Perth.

And this Adelaide I speak of is looks like an ass, always bent over and getting, you know what I mean:)

If I remember correctly, weren't ticket sales so poor initially that they were thinking of cancelling ZooTV Adelaide until the sales picked up in the couple of weeks beforehand?

Also, does Adelaide have any decent indoor venues, or is it straight to stadiums if you have the profile of U2?

Yeah, sales got off to a slow start, not because of people not wanting to see the show, but thats typical Adelaide, no sense of urgency.

U2 played both Lovetown shows at Adelaide Oval (outdoor) so they could probably do that again. Twenty odd thousand would fit there nicely, AAMI stadium is too big now, I don't think U2 could outsell ZooTV here, but if they were going to make the trip to Perth a quick one night stop in Adelaide wouldnt be out of their way.

In saying all that, how cool is it that they are actually coming, is there a group discount, I have about 40 friends that want to go.

I guess in these modern days of cheap domestic travel, the bigger bands just expect you to fly to one of the major cities to attend a concert. I see a point in the not to distant future where Brisbane is wiped off the map in this regard. :shrug:

Sken there will probably not be a group discount on the concert tickets, but there most certianally is on air tickets. :yes:

Hi Tim!

Yep, makes perfect sense for big bands to do multiple nights in a big city, because as you say, fans will travel. I'm actually looking forward to seeing them in either Sydney or Melbourne, and has been proven numerous times this tour, 2nd and 3rd night dates in big cities have been awesome.

The first night shows are usually casual fans and people who think its cool to see U2. Second and third nights is where U2 turn it up, they know this is where the diehards outnumber the casual fans, and this is where the real show begins.

Not neccessarily timothius, it has been projected that Brisbane well be one of the cities with the largest population increase in the next 25-50 years. Not only Brisbane but places like Gold Coast, Cairns, Townsville and other coastal cities. So Brisbane will be a big city. Oh and I live in Adelaide and you may be suprised but it is still a nice city to live in.

Sken said:
Hi Tim!

Yep, makes perfect sense for big bands to do multiple nights in a big city, because as you say, fans will travel. I'm actually looking forward to seeing them in either Sydney or Melbourne, and has been proven numerous times this tour, 2nd and 3rd night dates in big cities have been awesome.

The first night shows are usually casual fans and people who think its cool to see U2. Second and third nights is where U2 turn it up, they know this is where the diehards outnumber the casual fans, and this is where the real show begins.

Hi Sken! Long Time! :wave:

The irony of all of this is, the first nights is where most of the U2.com presale seats were sold and people who bought as soon as tickets went on sale are.

But you are right, by night 7 of MSG you have to be scraping the bottom of the barell. :wink:

If Sydney does stretch to 4-5 I think we will all be aiming for that last show of the tour. :drool:

Sken said:

Unless your somone who went to the 4th or 5th New York show in October ;)

adambk said:
Not neccessarily timothius, it has been projected that Brisbane well be one of the cities with the largest population increase in the next 25-50 years. Not only Brisbane but places like Gold Coast, Cairns, Townsville and other coastal cities. So Brisbane will be a big city. Oh and I live in Adelaide and you may be suprised but it is still a nice city to live in.

True, but things like the lack of a good venue, a track record of not fronting at big gigs and the fact that date could be more profitably spent somewhere else in the area (Auckland, multiple South East Asian Cities) mean that Brisbane will probably get less and less.

The good thing is that it costs like $200 return on a plane or $100 on a train from Brisbane to Sydney so it's really not that big a deal. :wink:

timothius said:

True, but things like the lack of a good venue, a track record of not fronting at big gigs and the fact that date could be more profitably spent somewhere else in the area (Auckland, multiple South East Asian Cities) mean that Brisbane will probably get less and less.

The good thing is that it costs like $200 return on a plane or $100 on a train from Brisbane to Sydney so it's really not that big a deal. :wink:

Well look at it this way you will still have more Adelaide and it will be a good excuse to have a small holiday. Besides I love staying at different cities, allways something new and exciting to do.

timothius said:
adambk if staying in different cities is what your after, if these Auckland shows do happen, I can't reccomend there enough. :drool: :wink:

Gosh you dont know how eager I am to holiday in New Zealand. I am going to the Gold Coast during the schoolies, but New Zealand is next on my list. :drool: Apart from Perth I have been to all the capital cities and other great tourist destinations in Australia so what great place to start but next door neighbours to Australia. What kind of things would you recommend that should be done in New Zealand?

timothius said:

THANK YOU. Even though I am a train nut, I totally hadn't thought of looking at taking the train to Sydney, whether that would be cheaper than the plane or not. Must look into that.

As far as south-east Queensland goes, this part of the country is growing fast and has about 2.5 million people all told. A nice new venue would help things. But yeah, it's a cultural black hole and I can see bands just doing an extra night in Sydney than bothering to come up to the lazy, apathetic Queensland crowds.

bono_man2002 said:

Unless your somone who went to the 4th or 5th New York show in October ;)

Right, but New York alone got more shows than probably all of Europe did, so U2 probably got lazy.

Bono probably also got sick of looking at the same faces over and over. I personally think they overplayed New York, they really should have done stadium gigs there. They spent too much time there I think, it probably became monotenous for them.

adambk said:

Gosh you dont know how eager I am to holiday in New Zealand. I am going to the Gold Coast during the schoolies, but New Zealand is next on my list. :drool: Apart from Perth I have been to all the capital cities and other great tourist destinations in Australia so what great place to start but next door neighbours to Australia. What kind of things would you recommend that should be done in New Zealand?

If you went for a week whilst the gigs were on, hit up a few of the museums, grab a hire car and head out either to Northland, Karekare or the Coramandels. Hit the gigs, One Tree Hill, run up Sky Tower a few times. Maybe bungee jump.

If you want to move out of Auckland, the go to the South Island baby. The most beautiful place in the world. :drool:

timothius said:

If you went for a week whilst the gigs were on, hit up a few of the museums, grab a hire car and head out either to Northland, Karekare or the Coramandels. Hit the gigs, One Tree Hill, run up Sky Tower a few times. Maybe bungee jump.

If you want to move out of Auckland, the go to the South Island baby. The most beautiful place in the world. :drool:

I'd like to put in the good word for Wellington - beautiful city, and if you like museums, there's the Museum of NZ and the national cricket museum. I'm a big fan of the former. :drool:

Sailing to the South Island is great fun in my opinion; travelling into Picton is very scenic and beautiful. And the Southern Alps are mindblowing - I really like Wanaka myself.

Sken said:

Now Axver, certain things you should keep to yourself:)

Why don't you just go to Te Urewera National Park and find out why it's called that then! :madspit:

(If I remember correctly, Te Urewera = Maori for 'burnt penis'.)

Axver said:

Why don't you just go to Te Urewera National Park and find out why it's called that then! :madspit:

(If I remember correctly, Te Urewera = Maori for 'burnt penis'.)

:ohmy: :wink:

timothius said:

Why do you need a note?

You live in Adealdie. :wink:

You are far away from everyone. :cute:

Hahaha, well it was all fine for a while, but you guys are invading our country. Next thing, you guys will be popping up in Adelaide.:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom