Australian Tour Announcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Down Under

Refugee
Reported in this mornings Sydney Morning Herald (Sat, 19 Nov 05)

The tour will be announced tomorrow (Sunday).

The Sydney concerts will be at Telstra Stadium on 30 and 31 March 05.

A Thursday and a Friday, that works for me, definitely the Friday.

Shame it's not at the Superdome though.

Axver said:
Shame it's not at the Superdome though.

I have heard mixed things about the Superdome (I have not seen a show there).

Prefer Telstra Stadium for transport (close to home) and also more pubs in the area.

Down Under said:

I have heard mixed things about the Superdome (I have not seen a show there).

Prefer Telstra Stadium for transport (close to home) and also more pubs in the area.

My comments about the Superdome are entirely based on the fact that Superdome = more shows. I've never seen any shows in Sydney and I've been hearing positives and negatives about all venues. I do wonder how they plan on selling out two gigs at Telstra Stadium ...

Axver said:
I do wonder how they plan on selling out two gigs at Telstra Stadium ...

A quote from the same paper/article. "A music promoter said U2 could expect to attract 80,000 fans if tickets were sold for about $300".

I am sorry that is a bit expensive. I am expecting around the $100/$120 mark.

Down Under said:

A quote from the same paper/article. "A music promoter said U2 could expect to attract 80,000 fans if tickets were sold for about $300".

I am sorry that is a bit expensive. I am expecting around the $100/$120 mark.

Holy shit. I'd have to forget seeing more than a couple of shows if it's $300. I hope it's less than half that.

Anyone know Telstra Stadium's capacity for concerts?

so what will they close half the stands off?
the staduim can seat 83,000 or so spectactors not to mention the thousands on the ground.

56185098.jpg

Axver said:

Holy shit. I'd have to forget seeing more than a couple of shows if it's $300. I hope it's less than half that.

Tell them they are dreaming...no one would go....only the die hard fans. Trust me the average person wont spend more then 80-100 per a ticket.

at $300 a ticket they may sell out the first row on the first level....nothing else though.

If they are $300...I'll be seeing one show.

Yep they want 2x shows at a 83,000 + staduim.... (not sure how many could fit on the ground) 2x shows at a 54,000+ (not sure exact but in the 50k range with about 80,000 total capicity including the ground)....then theres the Brisbane....and now maybe Adelaide and Perth shows....

they are going to get incredibly low numbers if they are dreaming of selling tickets at $300....the cheapest tickets have to go at $80-100 or the stadiums are going to be really empty...just us heh

Last edited:
Anyhing up to about $150 is reasonable.
If the cheapest US ticket is $50 for GA....and you can't get a seat for under $90 (correct me if I was wrong)
We can't expect to get tickets starting from $80...

I Dont think they will completley sell out two shows..at these high prices ($150-$300) It should be easier to grab seats for the second night.

bono_man2002 said:
Anyhing up to about $150 is reasonable.
If the cheapest US ticket is $50 for GA....and you can't get a seat for under $90 (correct me if I was wrong)
We can't expect to get tickets starting from $80...

I Dont think they will completley sell out two shows..at these high prices ($150-$300) It should be easier to grab seats for the second night.

The cheapest US seats are equal to GA and are up really high. I didn't pay more than $50 (Ticketbastard charges excluded) for a ticket, and I saw one show seated and two GAs.

European GAs were significantly more expensive, and I'd expect those prices to carry over to here.

GA for Coldplay at the Burswood are currently $119.00. GA for the Black Eyed Peas at the Burswood were $90.00. I expect that IF we get a concert over here the tickets will go for the $150 mark but wouldn't be surprised if they are a little higher than that.

$300 may be some sort of package deal.

$300 for a ticket

Sorry but that is CRAP !

They are nutts if they think they can sell out a 80 000 venue for $300.

Surely $120 - $150 is more reasonable.

could this mean shows in only melbourne and sydney? were not hearing much about brisbane let alone other places like adelaide and perth...and well if its stadiums maybe melbourne sydney will be it for an aussie stop?

fullautoreverse said:
could this mean shows in only melbourne and sydney? were not hearing much about brisbane let alone other places like adelaide and perth...and well if its stadiums maybe melbourne sydney will be it for an aussie stop?

I dont think U2 would only do Sydney and Melbourne.

This is very dissappointing. We deserve some indoor shows. U2 more or less promised as much when they were interviewed for Australian TV earlier this year. They were almost apologetic about us missing out on the Elevation tour but went on to say no matter since this tour would be indoors too. Of course that was almost a year ago but to me that was the band saying Australia would get indoor shows.

While stadium shows aren't as intimate as arena shows, look at it this way... An arena tour would sell out instantly and there'd be much less chance of getting good tickets, or any tickets at all.
At least this way, there's a much better chance of securing tickets.

Popmart Sydney sold out all 38.000 tickets within two hours, so on the back of a much more successful album I dont doubt U2 could pull much higher numbers this time around.

Queen Bee said:
Is there confirmation on Mexico?!?!

Yes. Mexico has finally been proven to exist. Four adventurous Irish explorers have crossed the US border and confirmed that there really is a country called Mexico, inhabited by a race of people previously thought to be mythical, known as "Mexicans".

Back
Top Bottom