Australian Tour Announcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17301267%5E2902,00.html

"I always enjoy Australia," said bass player Adam Clayton in San Francisco last week.

"It's a really great country and particularly great to be there in March when it is winter everywhere else.

"We are going to be playing outdoors with the summer production."

The scale of the production means there will be two complete systems for the Australian tour, leapfrogging each other around the country. As one is being dismantled, another one will be erected in the next city.

The centrepiece of the set, which will arrive into the country via 32 ocean containers and three 747 charter planes, is a video wall 40m wide and 10m high, flanked by two screens that are 12m wide and 8m high.

Mr Coppel said the show's clash with the closing weekend of the Commonwealth Games was unavoidable because of the narrow window available to the band and the number of huge events in Melbourne around the time.

The Telstra Dome shows – a second is expected the following night but not confirmed – will be sandwiched between the final of the Wizard Cup and the opening weekend of the AFL season, which is also the weekend of the Australian Grand Prix.

Despite the potential terror threat surrounding the Games, guitarist the Edge dismissed the idea that the band or its shows could became a target.

"You can't really go around thinking like that otherwise you wouldn't do anything," he said.

After its high-profile activism for debt relief and AIDS awareness in Africa, the band, led by charismatic frontman Bono, has made politics and human rights a central element of the show – stark contrast to the excesses of Popmart, the last tour to visit these shores.

Clayton stressed the importance of human rights, particular in a climate of world terror.

"The only theme in a sense that runs through the show is the idea of enshrining the idea of human rights," he said.

"It is strange that it really seems to connect with people at a time where human rights are kind of being eroded.

"In a sense that is kind of the worst effect of terrorism and it is not the human rights of the terrorists necessarily being eroded, it is the human rights of everyone else. It is something we thought was important."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17301639%5E2682,00.html

The Australian shows will be among the last of the year-long tour.

Guitarist the Edge said they looked forward to coming to Australia after leaving the country out of their last world tour for economic reasons.

"It was just way too expensive at that moment with the production we had," the Edge said.

"We felt it would have been really wrong to turn up with some kind of half-assed production – that would have felt weird for everybody. So we just decided we would wait.

"This tour is actually the culmination of what we started with All That You Can't Leave Behind and the Elevation Tour – so it's not like Australia has missed out totally on this phase of the band."

After its high-profile activism for debt relief and AIDS awareness in Africa, the band has made politics and human rights a central element of the show, in stark contrast to the excesses of Popmart, the last tour to visit these shores.

"Really, on this tour it's about the songs – it's about letting the music lead the whole thing," the Edge said. "But we wanted the tour to be about something and have a throughline in terms of content and aspiration, so the political element has been really pushed to the fore."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3484762a10,00.html

It has been 12 years since Bono and friends last played Down Under - an absence drummer Larry Mullen said had been too long.

"We're really looking forward to playing in New Zealand - it's been ages since we were there," he said about the band's one gig, at Auckland's Ericsson Stadium on March 17.

"And after the especially energetic welcome our rugby captain received during a visit this year, we might bring a few extra props," Mullin said in a reference to the infamous Tana Umaga spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll.

New Zealand publicist Bridget de Launay said prices had yet to be set for the Auckland show, but she believed they would be "accessible".

Oops, wrong thread. lol

Last edited:
Leave it to me to ask the really dumb questions... but I am right in thinking Brisbane Sports and Athletics Centre is ANZ Stadium???

This is pretty exciting, I can hardly wait.

Now, who is in Brisbane to be able to come with me??

imogen said:
Leave it to me to ask the really dumb questions... but I am right in thinking Brisbane Sports and Athletics Centre is ANZ Stadium???

This is pretty exciting, I can hardly wait.

Now, who is in Brisbane to be able to come with me??

i am i am i am but i am taking my parents and my councins too! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

oh and there is this.....U2 Down Under
By James Wigney

November 20, 2005

THE world's biggest band, U2, is heading to Australia for its first tour in eight years.

The hugely successful Irish quartet will bring its Vertigo stadium show, which has been playing to packed houses and received glowing reviews around the world since March this year, to Telstra Stadium in Sydney on March 31 and other capital cities.
"I always enjoy Australia," bass player Adam Clayton said in San Francisco last week.

"It's a really great country and particularly great to be there in March when it is winter everywhere else. We are going to be playing outdoors."

The scale of the production means there will be two complete systems for the Australian tour, leapfrogging each other around the country. As one is dismantled, another one will be erected in the next city.

The centrepiece of the set, which will arrive in the country via 32 ocean containers and three 747 charter planes, is a video wall 40m wide and 10m high, flanked by two screens that are 12m wide and 8m high.

Ticket prices are yet to be finalised, but promoter Michael Coppel says the top price will be less than $200, with most tickets costing less than $100.

oh read the sunday paper 4 all u who have not. a whole double page of u2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i found out lol its the ANZ stadium!
the live in chicago DVD is released tomorrow.! yay

The Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre (QSAC), located in Nathan, formerly QEII Sports Centre and ANZ Stadium, is a 49,000 seat capacity stadium that was previously the home ground for the Brisbane Broncos NRL team.

i rekon they will sell out in brizzy!

Precious3 said:
The Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre (QSAC), located in Nathan, formerly QEII Sports Centre and ANZ Stadium, is a 49,000 seat capacity stadium that was previously the home ground for the Brisbane Broncos NRL team.

i rekon they will sell out in brizzy!

Heh, I'm not confident it will be a sellout. Same venue on Popmart sold only 17,500 tickets and with no tour since, I don't think U2's popularity here has soared.

However, the low ticket price will definitely help it.

I sure hope ANZ Stadium's near some public transport ...

$99 is approximately what Popmart tickets were, but this time they are touring in support of a much more successful album so i'll guarantee they thrash that 17,500 figure this time. Don't forget that ATYCLB was a huge hit here, as were the Best Ofs...

Axver said:

I sure hope ANZ Stadium's near some public transport ...

b_m here,

When I went to Zoo TV and Popmart, they had lots of buses going out to the venue from the city. Im sure they'll do the same.

At $99, they could go close to selling this sucker out...maybe.

OH YEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theres a tour bus company in Southport (Gold Coast) that runs a bus to and from ANZ Stadium for around $20 bucks return...

It's on Scarborough Street, next to the Dell pub, i'll try and dig up the phone number this week for any Gold Coastians wanting transport.

I used the service for Popmart and while it got to ANZ at around 7pm we still managed to find a spot about two people back off the railing to the right of the lemon runway...

I just remembered Popmart had seats and limited GA, so it may be a different story this time round securing a spot close to the front (if your planning on using a tour bus service for the concert).

Staying in Brisbane the day before the show and catching public transport to the venue may be the best idea. Or driving.

Last edited:
For Melbourne people this Green Day seating chart gives us an idea:

greenDay05.jpg

fullautoreverse said:
Theres a tour bus company in Southport (Gold Coast) that runs a bus to and from ANZ Stadium for around $20 bucks return...

It's on Scarborough Street, next to the Dell pub, i'll try and dig up the phone number this week for any Gold Coastians wanting transport.

I used the service for Popmart and while it got to ANZ at around 7pm we still managed to find a spot about two people back off the railing to the right of the lemon runway...

I just remembered Popmart had seats and limited GA, so it may be a different story this time round securing a spot close to the front (if your planning on using a tour bus service for the concert).

Staying in Brisbane the day before the show and catching public transport to the venue may be the best idea. Or driving.

:hmm:

I'll be living in Brisbane by this point, probably around St Lucia, so I'll probably be reliant on public transport. There better be a railway or busway stop nearby!

fullautoreverse said:
Just saw some footage of Telstra Stadium in Sydney...it is MASSIVE...it's going to rock :rockon:

I've got to go there. :drool:

so i was reading the ticket prices... $99 for general Admission and $99+ for reserved seating. OK call me stupid, but i reserved seating is where u just call up ( or via the net ) and buy tix for a seat...right??
and will the tix be on sale over the net for some pre-sale ( for ppl who have not subscribed to u2.com and all that )
i guess i am back to the good ol' phone method!

Last edited:
You still need to buy a ticket for General Admission by phoning or the internet or queuing up at an office. Reserved seating are numbered seats. General Admission is the mosh pit up the front. (depending on the size of the venue)

Last edited:
yeah i thought it was something like that. i dont think my parents would hande all that mosh stuff so i rekon i will go for the reserved seats.
ta,

I'm surprised they decided to go to Adelaide and not Perth, after all Perth has 500,000 more people than Adelaide, and Perth ppl are generally wealthier and are less boring so the turnout at a Perth concert would have been quite big I'd imagine. Not that I'm complaining, I've been waiting 8 years to see U2 in person, and this is truely my dream come true :D

AussieU2fanman said:
I'm surprised they decided to go to Adelaide and not Perth, after all Perth has 500,000 more people than Adelaide, and Perth ppl are generally wealthier and are less boring so the turnout at a Perth concert would have been quite big I'd imagine. Not that I'm complaining, I've been waiting 8 years to see U2 in person, and this is truely my dream come true :D

You'll probably find that U2 look at sales figures of cd's/dvd/s in each capital to decide as to whether a concert is feasable. I imagine the sales may have been good in Adelaide to warrant it, whether they are better or around the same as Perth I dont know for sure. The extra distance to Perth is a factor as well, and I suspect they feel that the die hards will travel to Adelaide from both Perth and the Eastern States as its the more central location.

Axver said:

I was wondering where you were! I missed having you at the setlist parties.

I missed 'em, too. Well, I was pretty busy....was clowning in Moscow & St. Petersburg with Patch Adams at orphanages & hospitals. Pretty darn cool. Now I'm back & my computer's on the fritz. Hunting for internet means not only having so little time to check Interference, but also the fear that I haven't backed up ANY of the hundreds of songs I've downloaded on my laptop...! :ohmy: :huh: Here's hoping that the repair guy can fix it next week!

I wish the band were coming through NZ in the summer....it would've made a great excuse to go down there when I've got some time off!

Back
Top Bottom