Australia - The Desperate And Dateless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cat Empire might get a jersey to open - at least everyone would be up dancing :D

Or maybe Everclear.

Hmm, have to have a think about this a bit more.

Todays Daily Telegraph names Jet as the favourites. That is the Daily Telegraph though, and for them Australian music doesn't move far outside the Jet/Missy/PeteMurray circle of shame.

Cat Empire as the very first act would be cool. I don't know why, but they simply can't replicate it on CD. I can't stand their music on CD, but they are so much fun live. Not in an amazing musical experience kinda way, but just pure fun. Cat Empire to get a bit of a mood happening, then a decent largeish act we will actually enjoy and appreciate (ie not a cover band like Jet), then U-fuckin-2.

It is a clever idea though, put on somthing so shocking to the ears that people have no interest in hearing them, so seats sell out immediatly as they can wander in 5 minutes before showtime.

Of those that have been mentioned so far, Silverchair would be by far the best. While I don't think their catalogue has tremendous depth, if constrained to a 45 minute set they would be fantastic.

OK, folks, where can I find the cheapest airfares (or train fares)? I just did some looking of my own and I fear the cost of travel is going to severely limit how many shows I see. I already know I can't do Adelaide, and Sydney's not looking so hot right now.

Any recommendations are much appreciated. Offers of free accommodation = cool.

Also, anyone in Brisbane/Gold Coast, if you're travelling solo to other gigs, note the companion fare deals sometimes give a nice cheap price, so if two of us want to go together ...?

Last edited:
This is all so exciting, isnt it!

With ticket prices the way they are, Brisbane might even sell out!

I really hope we arent the only city on the whole tour not to sell out! (though Im sure Adelaide could challenge us there!)

Just some thoughts, maybe if enough of us email the government and Suncorp Stadium, we could force a re-think on the venue choice. The events manager at Suncorp did tell me concerts could happen there if all groups met on the matter.

What do you think?

Do U2 actually care about it?

To me, ANZ really represents the 'old' Qld', while Suncorp represents the new. Typical of backward Qld not to allow concerts at such a great venue due to noise restrictions. The concert would be over by 11ish anyway! And crowd levels would be similar to that of a football game. Its all very sad and very typical.

Is anyone keen to help out here? Or should we (sorry, I) just be greatful and shut up?

of course it will. the whole back of the stadium wont be used. plus, they have restrictions on how many they can have on the feild.

For instance, the old Wembley Stadium in England would fit 72,00 for a football game. Capacity for a concert? 72, 000. Brisbane's own ANZ Stadium would fit around 50-55, 000 for a football game. Concert capacity? 50-55, 000.

so lol yourself!:madspit:

Also, I emailed the Premier again with the following:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply to my questions about the use of Suncorp Stadium for the upcoming U2 tour of Australia. Since your reply, U2 have announced a tour of Australia and a show here in Brisbane on March 21st, 2006 at ANZ Stadium.

I contacted the Events Manager at Suncorp Stadium, Mr Black, and he informed me that although there is restrictions on such events, they could take place if all relavent groups meet up.

It just seems quite sad for Brisbane to have such a top-class venue for these events and not use it. ANZ Stadium really represents the 'old Qld', while Suncorp Stadium represents the new. It just seems very typical and backward for us to host the event at such an inferior venue when we have such a great venue available.

Most countries in the world (and cities in Australia for that matter) host such events without hassles relating to noise restrictions and it is very backward of Qld to have such restrictions on what is a huge cultural event for the city and state. Im sure you would agree with me that ANZ Stadium is not a very good promotion at all for the state and the great progress it has made over the last 10 years.

The fact is, these events are usually finished by 11:00pm and the crowd levels would be not dissimilar to that of a football match. I really dont see why this would be an issue for residents. With lots of international acts skipping Brisbane over the past few years (Robbie Williams, Coldplay and Radiohead to name a few) it would be wise to grab hold of this one and show them what this city is capable of providing.

Im sure you agree with me on the points I have made, they are logical and definately deserve your consideration. Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,

Jonathan Edwards

-------------------------------------------------------------
Probably wont make a difference but hey, it doesnt hurt to try and improve things!

There is no comparison between the sound of a football game and the sound of a U2 concert. One of my happiest memories from Popmart was walking to a pub near the stadium (but still over a km away) and hearing the opening guitar of Even Better than the Real Thing being soundchecked. It was LOUD, loud enough to be booming out of a stereo 10ft away and I was a kilometre away on a very very busy road. Certainly put a bounce in my step.

The good news with Sydney of course is that there'd be no noise restrictions at Telstra Stadium. There's a good radius of nothing there.

I admire your zeal, but I don't think you are going to be able to change the venue. They would aim for the best (under a variety of criteria) and settle with the best they can get. There'd be a checklist of a hundred things that come into play, and there might well be a very good reason why they chose ANZ over Suncorp. I'm sure it's not an oversight or whatever.

Ooooh Damien Rice.

Remember it's in a stadium though, I'd adore Damien Rice but the venue demands a certain style of performer. Damien's music is wonderful but isn't going to 'work' past the front 1000 people (and it's a little quiet for a warm up act anyway). Unfortunately, this is where balls out rockers like Jet do work, or 'party bands' like Cat Empire. You just have to hope that the quality is far, far higher than fucking Jet...

true true...i just really want to see him live!!

any of the bands that supported them in europe would be great!

maybe even arcade fire will come with them, i dont think they've been here yet!

I can't see Powderfinger, Silverchair or Jet getting a slot as they are too big. (Well, you know what I mean).

Another one that might is Thirsty Merc.

To be honest, I can't even remember who supported on the Popmart tour and I don't really care who supports this tour as that's not who I am going to see. If its someone good, bonus, if not it won't kill me.

Personally, U2 aren't going to top the first time I saw them at the Ent Cent in Sydney (they played Beatles music before the support act and everyone was up dancing, Weddings Parties Anything was the support act and then U2 with no gadgetry.:drool:) but I am sure it will be a fantabulous show anyway.

Tania, if you tell me the date of that Sydney gig is 27 September 1989, I am going to be even more jealous than I already am that you got to see Lovetown.

Okay I won't tell you, it was actually earlier than 1989 :wink:

And I won't tell you that I saw them twice that week :drool:

And I also won't tell you about how the crowd would not leave after the last song, they all stood around singing 40 with the lights up until U2 came back on again and did a couple more songs. It was fabulous. Oh, and then in the car park afterwards people were still singing. For a band that was apparently going to split up they did an awesome job those nights.

But I did see them on 27th September 1989 as well! :up: How did you know? :shrug: :lol:

Last edited:
Tania said:
But I did see them on 27th September 1989 as well! :up: How did you know? :shrug: :lol:

Oh, I am SO jealous. So insanely jealous. That concert opened with Hawkmoon 269/Desire/All Along The Watchtower, and not only do I love that trio, but it was the single best Desire ever played in my opinion. Totally nuts - Edge's shredding solo rules so much. I have footage of this from a Channel 10 News camera that actually came up on stage and is right smack in front of Edge during the solo. When I first watched it, my eyes just about popped out of my head, it was so awesome.

Now excuse me while I go several different shades of green all at once!

And I also won't tell you about how the crowd would not leave after the last song, they all stood around singing 40 with the lights up until U2 came back on again and did a couple more songs. It was fabulous.

Are you serious? Because on none of the UF Sydney sets is there anything listed after 40 ... though we are missing the set for the first show.

Yep, South American dates :lmao:

Bummer I had the Australian dates wrong :sad:

Shag On A Rock said:
The Vertigo//2006 4th Leg Rumours So Far:
12 Feb 2006 - Monterrey
15 Feb 2006 - México City, Estádio Foro Sol
16 Feb 2006 - México City, Estádio Foro Sol
20 Feb 2006 - São Paulo, Estádio Cicero Pompeu de Toledo/Morumbi
21 Feb 2006 - São Paulo, Estádio Cicero Pompeu de Toledo/Morumbi
22 Feb 2006 - Rio de Janeiro
26 Feb 2006 - Santiago, Estádio Nacional of Santiago de Chile
01 Mar 2006 - Buenos Aires, Estádio Antonio Vespucio Liberti/El Monumental/Estádio River Plate
02 Mar 2006 - Buenos Aires, Estádio Antonio Vespucio Liberti/El Monumental/Estádio River Plate
17 Mar 2006 - Auckland, Ericsson Stadium/Mount Smart Stadium
21 Mar 2006 - Brisbane, Queensland Sports & Athletics Centre/ANZ
24 Mar 2006 - Melbourne, Telstra Dome
28 Mar 2006 - Adelaide, AAMI Stadium
31 Mar 2006 - Sydney, Telstra (Olympic) Stadium

Also Rumoured:
¿¿ Mar 2006 - San José, Estádio Ricardo Saprissa
¿¿ ¿¿¿ 2006 - Lima
?? ??? 2006 - Tokyo

Not Bloody Likely:
NE VER 2006 - Gold Coast
NE VER 2006 - Perth, Burswood Dome :sad:

Axver said:

Are you serious? Because on none of the UF Sydney sets is there anything listed after 40 ... though we are missing the set for the first show.

:D

Deadly serious :drool:

I still have the tour program and just checked the dates. I went to the first eva Sydney show on 4th September and then on the 8th September.

On the Love Town tour, I was wrong I went to the 21st Oct show. I had to go and get the ticket. Sorry to get your hopes up. The show cost a measly $39.90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom