Australia - The Desperate And Dateless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shag On A Rock said:
I would like to pick youse guys brains, if I may.

Which venue should I go to? I'll be flying over to whichever concert so theres an expense to all the concerts for me. I'm unfamiliar with the venues. Which one will be the best show, do ya reckon?

It's a shame we don't seem to know if Sydney's getting a second show or not, because if they're not getting a second one and Melbourne is, then I'd tell you to go to both Melbourne shows to get maximum value out of flying across the country.

As it is, however, I'm no help as I don't know the venues either.

Shag On A Rock said:
I figured Melbourne is out for interlopers as accomodation will be completely booked with all the sport crap happening at the same time.

Ah, true. I'm glad I know people in Melbourne. Getting flights in and out may be a nightmare, though ...

Sydney does have the advantage of being the last show on tour as well, which should make for a good show. I would lean toward Sydney with the view that they will have two shows... The first should sell out fairly quickly as the ticket prices are so accessable that nearly everyone who has a vague interest can go. If they played the MCG twice on ZooTV then they will more than likely play Telstra twice here, I would almost bet my life on it.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i posted this on the other thread in case u didnt read it...here it is again

U2 Down Under
By James Wigney

November 20, 2005

THE world's biggest band, U2, is heading to Australia for its first tour in eight years.

The hugely successful Irish quartet will bring its Vertigo stadium show, which has been playing to packed houses and received glowing reviews around the world since March this year, to Telstra Stadium in Sydney on March 31 and other capital cities.
"I always enjoy Australia," bass player Adam Clayton said in San Francisco last week.

"It's a really great country and particularly great to be there in March when it is winter everywhere else. We are going to be playing outdoors."

The scale of the production means there will be two complete systems for the Australian tour, leapfrogging each other around the country. As one is dismantled, another one will be erected in the next city.

The centrepiece of the set, which will arrive in the country via 32 ocean containers and three 747 charter planes, is a video wall 40m wide and 10m high, flanked by two screens that are 12m wide and 8m high.

Ticket prices are yet to be finalised, but promoter Michael Coppel says the top price will be less than $200, with most tickets costing less than $100.

timothius said:
Sydney does have the advantage of being the last show on tour as well, which should make for a good show.

I expect the Japanese shows will follow Sydney.

I would lean toward Sydney with the view that they will have two shows... The first should sell out fairly quickly as the ticket prices are so accessable that nearly everyone who has a vague interest can go. If they played the MCG twice on ZooTV then they will more than likely play Telstra twice here, I would almost bet my life on it.

How many do we think Telstra Stadium will hold for a concert, in excess of 80,000? I honestly wonder if U2 have enough selling power to sell 160,000-odd tickets. It's worth noting the largest show of the tour so far was at Croke Park, just over 82,000 each of the three nights, so Sydney might just have some of the biggest concert/s of tour.

I'm so there.

so i am gonna ask the Question someone else already asked i think....where is the QLD sports and athletics centre! does it have other name? This is like the best day of my life lol!!
so is there gonna be some pre internet sale or what. the dec 5 ticket sales...is that by phone or net or what? and i guess we r still waiting on who is gonna be selling the tickets......

The Brisbane venue is ANZ Stadium, the same place they played on ZooTV and Popmart.

A 2 page spead in the Sunday Mail also gives a bit of an interview stating they have done the rocking thing for two albums now and are going to go and re-invent their style similar to how they did at the end of Rattle & Hum, which then became the Actung era :up:

Certainly one of their biggest career highlights, it will be tough to beat IMO. Maybe the cultural changes from leg 4 will inspire them again to create a different sound...

fullautoreverse said:
Certainly one of their biggest career highlights, it will be tough to beat IMO. Maybe the cultural changes from leg 4 will inspire them again to create a different sound...

Maybe they'll record the Haka :drool:

Telstra Stadium will hold about 100,000 for the concert. I can't honestly see them doing two 100,000 shows in Sydney. Like I said on Friday, maybe use half the stadium? Put the stage essentially at halfway? I pity the person who is at the far end of a full Telstra Stadium. It is FUCKING MASSIVE. Even the large U2 productions would be completely meaningless from the other end...

Earnie Shavers said:
Telstra Stadium will hold about 100,000 for the concert. I can't honestly see them doing two 100,000 shows in Sydney. Like I said on Friday, maybe use half the stadium? Put the stage essentially at halfway? I pity the person who is at the far end of a full Telstra Stadium. It is FUCKING MASSIVE. Even the large U2 productions would be completely meaningless from the other end...

in a way i would care but in another way i would not give a crap coz i would ge to c them. i bet there will be ppl who mis out.
n e how....hopefully i can get tickets to the ANZ concert in brizzy....

People miss out, a 100 000 show I doubt anyone would miss out. The standing tickets should sell like hotcakes but I doubt these staduims will sell out. However I do hope so. 70,000-75,000 in AAMI Stadium would be amazing. The atmosphere would be electric.

i am sooooo happy they're coming to adelaide. i think i might cry.

i really have nothing to say!

Cool, well i do hope everyone here gets what they are after. If a 2nd Sydney show is added will it be before or after 31 March?

Earnie Shavers said:

From tommorows SMH it seems. :hmm:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/u2-set-for-march/2005/11/19/1132017022018.html?oneclick=true

Thank you :up:

PS. Is Earnie about, please? I have a question. There appears to be a set of concerts that will take place if the first lot sell out eg Sydney II, Melbourne II, etc. Is there any chance Perth is among this group? Or is it all over red rover?

i just did quick google on 'anz stadium' and 'ticketek' and 'anz stadium' and 'ticketmaster' and it seems that unfortunately, ticketmaster is the agent for anz stadium, which is totally crap because i live at the sunshine coast, where there is no ticketmaster agent :(

Shag On A Rock said:
Thank you :up:

PS. Is Earnie about, please? I have a question. There appears to be a set of concerts that will take place if the first lot sell out eg Sydney II, Melbourne II, etc. Is there any chance Perth is among this group? Or is it all over red rover?

No, there's no reason for holding out on the naming of a city. The 2nd Sydney & Melbourne concerts are just held off from being announced so to make damn sure the 1st ones sell out properly. A guy lines up and finds out that the best he can get is some shitty seat in the stands and decides to wait until the second show goes on sale. 5000 people decide the same. That's what they are avoiding by not announcing. They will probably never formally announce the 2nd shows either, you'll just find that they'll miraculously go on sale as soon as the first ones sell out (which may well be on day one of sales - Robbie Williams sold out 45,000 Sydney tickets in a few hours), and they'll only advertise it if the sales slow over the next few days or weeks after that (which I doubt). I think two 50,000 shows in Sydney and Melbourne will both sell out in a matter of days, the first of each in a matter of hours.

Fly east young Perthians!

Thanks Earnie.

David Bowie didn't include Perth on his tour, tickets went on sale, and then a month later they added Perth. :huh:

I wondered if U2 would do such a thing too. I will aim for Sydney.

Previously you spoke about a venue. A venue where you said either be in the front of the GA or in the seats as the venue is large and the acoustics are shitty. Was this the Sydney venue you were speaking? I can't recall.

PPS the expression is not "Perthians", it's "Personalities". :wink:

timothius said:

Two outdoor concerts in Sydney, that are expected to attract at least 50,000 fans each, have been included in a tour by Irish band U2.

The first is scheduled for March 31. Tickets are expected to go on sale next month.

:cute:

If Telstra Stadium can hold up to 100,000, why would they play two concerts to 50,000 each night when one would get all of that out of the way quicker? :huh:

Axver said:

If Telstra Stadium can hold up to 100,000, why would they play two concerts to 50,000 each night when one would get all of that out of the way quicker? :huh:

Because the SMH said so. :mad:

//Also, I really don't see how it can fit 100,000. The stage is going to knock out one of the side stands, which will probably just be made up by the GA on the ground... which would take it to a 75,000-80,000 capacity. Maybe they really think that they can do 150,000 in Sydney - and when you think that they could do 80,000 (easy) every four years for a soccer match - 150,000 every 8 years for U2 doesn't seem that hard to imagine. Especially for rock bottom ticket prices. :yes:

Last edited:
Shag On A Rock said:

Previously you spoke about a venue. A venue where you said either be in the front of the GA or in the seats as the venue is large and the acoustics are shitty. Was this the Sydney venue you were speaking? I can't recall.

I was talking about the Sydney Football Stadium (Zoo TV & Popmart venue), but the same would apply for Telstra Stadium seeing as they are almost identical designs, just one is 3 times the size of the other. The size of stadiums means of course there's a seconds delay in the sound from the front speakers reaching the back of the stadium, but then the middle speakers are blasting it there at the same time, and this alone creates an echo effect. Then you have the closed in wave design of both stadiums, so the sound is 'escaping' but bouncing off those walls and roof back to create another echo. You can actually hear it on the ZooTV video, Larry's kick drum bouncing back. You just want to be close enough to the front row of speakers so that it is so damn loud you simply can't hear the echoes. The flipside of that is that the closed stadiums are better than ones which have large openings (think SCG or those that have been to a Big Day Out at the Sydney Showgrounds, or any open field concert) as the wind gets in there and strips the sound right away. An echo is better than hearing nothing. It's not a massive disaster, just lightly annoying for those paying attention. I'm sure everyone in here will be angling to get as close to the front anyway....

I think 50,000 x 2 at Telstra is better than 100,000 x 1. Of course it would be awesome to be singing along with 100,000 people, but half of them are going to be having a very different experience to the other half. The venue really is too huge. It might well be the largest stadium they have played on the tour. If you are sitting at the back of that stadium, you may as well save your money and watch from an apartment building in the next suburb and have the luxury of easy access to booze and bathrooms. I only wonder if they are going to do it halfway down the field, or side on straight into one of the stands (which has been done there several times before, and I don't really like the feel of it at all - more like you are being played to rather than that mass experience thing where you can look 'around' at everyone, if that makes sense).

And yeah, I'd aim for Sydney. Flights/accomodation in Melbourne will be a bitch, and at the least will be seriously overpriced.

Just on what Earnie said, if anyone needs incentive to make a good effort to get tickets to Sydney...

Back Of The Stadium View:

625-36.jpg

What will more than likely be a frontish row view:

111-22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom