Australia - The Desperate And Dateless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
timothius said:

You don't have your avatar any more. :sad:

And you're the one in Sydney and from Auckland - how do you feel about these venues? Do you know if Ericsson's any good for concerts?

Ericsson (or Mount Smart Stadium as it was up until 1995) hosts the Auckland leg of the big day out, and I believe hosted the Robbie Williams concert there a few years back. Never been to a concert there, but I did go to about 6 NRL matches during the Warriors first season and can tell you :drool: those games were great. The stadium looks much older than what it is, and just got a few million dollars worth of repairs on one side of the stadium... one end of the Stadium is grassed, so there will be a lot of GA I would imagine.

Telstra Stadium hasn't had a real concert yet. INXS opened the stadium back in 1998/9 but reports at the time were that it may have not exactly been live, outside of the halftime shows at football matches and the Olympics closing ceremony (most mimed) there hasn't been a full on concert there. They are really breaking new ground. But in the stands there, there isn't a "horrible" seat in the house (I normally sit in the cheap seats for the Bledisloe and they are fantastic).

The good thing about stadiums is we can kiss the acoustic encore goodbye. :kiss: :wave:

timothius said:
Ericsson (or Mount Smart Stadium as it was up until 1995) hosts the Auckland leg of the big day out, and I believe hosted the Robbie Williams concert there a few years back. Never been to a concert there, but I did go to about 6 NRL matches during the Warriors first season and can tell you :drool: those games were great. The stadium looks much older than what it is, and just got a few million dollars worth of repairs on one side of the stadium... one end of the Stadium is grassed, so there will be a lot of GA I would imagine.

Ah, alright, thanks! :up: Here's a piccie I found for those interested:

auckland_ericsson.jpg

I'm wondering if the grassed end would be where they'd set up the stage, in order to sell the seats at the other end. Well, we'll see. Let's just hope we don't have to wage war to pick up some GAs. You going to cross the ditch for this?

Telstra Stadium hasn't had a real concert yet. INXS opened the stadium back in 1998/9 but reports at the time were that it may have not exactly been live, outside of the halftime shows at football matches and the Olympics closing ceremony (most mimed) there hasn't been a full on concert there. They are really breaking new ground. But in the stands there, there isn't a "horrible" seat in the house (I normally sit in the cheap seats for the Bledisloe and they are fantastic).

The good thing about stadiums is we can kiss the acoustic encore goodbye. :kiss: :wave:

Well, this Sydney show should be interesting then ... as long as tickets aren't awfully steep, I'm going to try to be there. I wonder if there will be enough demand to add a second show ...

And yeah, good point about the encores! Only problem is, stadiums probably mean static sets. :| I think I'll avoid looking at any fourth leg sets so I can be surprised if they make any changes.

I have my doubts they'll play One Tree Hill ... :uhoh:

Axver said:
Well, this Sydney show should be interesting then ... as long as tickets aren't awfully steep, I'm going to try to be there. I wonder if there will be enough demand to add a second show ...

And yeah, good point about the encores! Only problem is, stadiums probably mean static sets. :| I think I'll avoid looking at any fourth leg sets so I can be surprised if they make any changes.

I have my doubts they'll play One Tree Hill ... :uhoh:

I was about to say before your edit, "For me, does it really matter if they add any more shows etc, they're playing Auckland on St Patricks Day!". I'll tell you I couldn't be more confident that One Tree Hill will be pulled out - you are totally discounting the 20 years on thing... that shit is powerful! Look what they did with Miss Sarajevo in Sarajevo. When the occasion comes they pull it out. :drool:

Tania said:

Also, can I just say I really do feel for the Westerners that they aren't getting a gig at the WACA in April. :hug:

But I'm sure we Easterners will teach them the local customs and traditions should they make the red-eye flight over the Nullabor. :hyper:

timothius said:

I was about to say before your edit, "For me, does it really matter if they add any more shows etc, they're playing Auckland on St Patricks Day!". I'll tell you I couldn't be more confident that One Tree Hill will be pulled out - you are totally discounting the 20 years on thing... that shit is powerful! Look what they did with Miss Sarajevo in Sarajevo. When the occasion comes they pull it out. :drool:

I'm not getting my hopes up, especially not after the awfully static European sets where they couldn't even be arsed playing Spanish Eyes even though it was rehearsed and initially on the Madrid set. I don't want to walk in hoping to hear One Tree Hill only to be disappointed if they give us the lame "let's tack it onto One" treatment like on ZooTV. Your 20 years point is convincing, but still - not going to start hoping or expecting yet. If they do Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina/Chile, that'll be a really good sign.

Totally predicting a Party Girl for this gig though. I mean, Saint Paddy's Day, come on. It's going to be one hell of a gig!

timothius said:

Also, can I just say I really do feel for the Westerners that they aren't getting a gig at the WACA in April. :hug:

But I'm sure we Easterners will teach them the local customs and traditions should they make the red-eye flight over the Nullabor. :hyper:

I was really hoping there'd be a Perth show. :hug: for all the westeners. It would've been amazing if the Vertigo setup had been forced into Burswood - or the Superdome for that matter! :rant:

Goodness, I hope these tickets aren't too dear, I'm already planning on hitting four shows.

Also, with tickets going on sale on the 5th, we can assume NZ will go on sale 2 hours before Australia... will you be chancing your arm on the net (before scurrying down to your local Ticketek) or having somone in line back home? :scatch:

timothius said:
Also, with tickets going on sale on the 5th, we can assume NZ will go on sale 2 hours before Australia... will you be chancing your arm on the net (before scurrying down to your local Ticketek) or having somone in line back home? :scatch:

Ah, shit, this'll be a bit of a logistical fun one. Hopefully my girlfriend will be home at this time. She was the one who got through the Internet system to score our GAs to the third Boston show so I trust her ability.

Otherwise ... I may get my mother to come sit in line for me while I do the Kiwi shows! I don't trust anyone else's skills enough to let them try to get me tickets.

The only onsale I can recall happening in living memory that didn't happen at 9AM was Homebake this year, which ironically I will be attending two days before tickets go on sale. :drool:

fullautoreverse said:
damn time zones...why cant we just have one world time...

Because it's better this way!

Buy tickets to NZ shows. Then buy tickets to Sydney/Melbourne. Then buy Brisbane tickets.

Works better than somehow trying to get them all at once!

Though as I'll be queuing, I suppose I'll have to work out someone at home to handle NZ, Sydney, and Melbourne. Here's hoping for reasonable prices, because without reasonable prices, I can't go!

does anyone remember if they made adjustments for ticket sale times during zoomerang in 93? did they even have daylight savings back then?

fullautoreverse said:
does anyone remember if they made adjustments for ticket sale times during zoomerang in 93? did they even have daylight savings back then?

In the USA, tickets went on sale at 9am local time for the venue, so Boston shows were on sale three hours before Los Angeles ones were.

I imagine the same will happen here. Auckland will go first, then Sydney and Melbourne two hours later, Adelaide half an hour later still, and Brisbane last, another half hour after Adelaide.

I'm hoping GAs will be under $150.

so really its a case of being online at 7am QLD time and by rights you should be able to buy tickets to all shows?

fullautoreverse said:
so really its a case of being online at 7am QLD time and by rights you should be able to buy tickets to all shows?

Assuming everywhere goes on sale at 9am local time, here's how it'll be for us here in QLD:

6am: Auckland
8am: Sydney, Melbourne
8:30am: Adelaide
9am: Brisbane

I'm still undecided on whether I want to risk the Internet or line up. Let's hope we have a presale ...

this is going to be a nightmare! if your in a que in QLD your going to miss out on getting tickets for Melbourne & Sydney unless you have someone online and/or with a telephone as by the time you get to the counter at 9am QLD time there will be nothing left for other states....?

fullautoreverse said:
this is going to be a nightmare! if your in a que in QLD your going to miss out on getting tickets for Melbourne & Sydney unless you have someone online and/or with a telephone as by the time you get to the counter at 9am QLD time there will be nothing left for other states....?

Let's move to New Zealand.

I'll bring my phone with me if I decide to queue and see what I can pick up that way. Probably nothing but you never know.

The Vertigo//2006 4th Leg Rumours So Far:
12 Feb 2006 - Monterrey
15 Feb 2006 - México City, Estádio Foro Sol
16 Feb 2006 - México City, Estádio Foro Sol
20 Feb 2006 - São Paulo, Estádio Cicero Pompeu de Toledo/Morumbi
21 Feb 2006 - São Paulo, Estádio Cicero Pompeu de Toledo/Morumbi
22 Feb 2006 - Rio de Janeiro
26 Feb 2006 - Santiago, Estádio Nacional of Santiago de Chile
01 Mar 2006 - Buenos Aires, Estádio Antonio Vespucio Liberti/El Monumental/Estádio River Plate
02 Mar 2006 - Buenos Aires, Estádio Antonio Vespucio Liberti/El Monumental/Estádio River Plate
17 Mar 2006 - Auckland, Ericsson Stadium/Mount Smart Stadium
21 Mar 2006 - Brisbane, Queensland Sports & Athletics Centre/ANZ
24 Mar 2006 - Melbourne, Telstra Dome
28 Mar 2006 - Adelaide, AAMI Stadium
31 Mar 2006 - Sydney, Telstra (Olympic) Stadium

Also Rumoured:
¿¿ Mar 2006 - San José, Estádio Ricardo Saprissa
¿¿ ¿¿¿ 2006 - Lima
?? ??? 2006 - Tokyo

Not Bloody Likely:
NE VER 2006 - Gold Coast
NE VER 2006 - Perth, Burswood Dome :sad: