Australia off for 2006/07/08.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:

It's hard thinking about which Australian acts toured over the past 12 months... the Finns would be up there. I'd suggest though that something shit like Delta Goodrem would be the winner... The Finns doing 12,000 over 4 nights is great, but that's one sell out at the Ent Cent, which people like Powderfinger and Delta do easily. Delta's concert may have been at the SuperDome? If that sold out, that's 20,000 right there. Groups that sell out the Hordern Pavilion would be up there as well, that's 6000 a show. Some fuck monkey like Pete Murray as well, he'd sell a lot, and he tours pretty consistently as well.

ANYWAY I'd expect $150 max for U2. The Rolling Stones, Eagles etc are all appealing to baby boomers who will pay whatever. Those ultra expensive seats also rarely sell to individuals, but to companies who use them in the same way they'd use seats to a grand final. Madonna is more an event than a concert. U2 have to stick to a certain limit - which they will - and it has to be more in line with, say, a Coldplay tour, a Red Hot Chili Peppers tour etc than a Rolling Stones tour. $120 average, $150 max, if it's a stadium, $100 for the cheap seats. It's actually why there's a bit of a problem with the tour coming here. If U2 could charge $400, it would be a done deal by now.

True. Although 12,000 all at $90 vs 12,000 at a sliding scale with the highest being $80 is different (which I think Powderfinger's system was), in any event they are both pretty good numbers - completely dwarfed by any with a international act with a top 40 single.

Your second paragraph gives me a bit of hope, but if Green Day can chare $100 to fill the SCG, then surely U2 could do $150 or $200 - as they a majority of their market would have a slightly higher disposable income than Green Day fans (despite GD being the "it" thing atm)

any new info earnie?

btw...i got an email from someone who read about the petition. he has forwarded onto his friend david kotch from sunrise, a avid U2 fan. koshy is getting behind us! lol

He's mentioned the U2 tour (or apparent lack thereof) before, and that he's a fan.

I bet he loves to sing songs like With or Without You and Walk On in the car, but would flick through the radio stations and come across Lemon and not knowing it was U2, make a comment about how fucked up music has become today and flick off to something else. I know his type.

lol @ kochie singing walk on, hey how about daddys gonna pay for your crashed car, that would be a sight...with mel from sunrise doing a nice harmony in the background...

Folks, I now have FOUR sources stating March 2006 is looking good. One source has expressly mentioned New Zealand's prospects as promising.

I may not be able to contain my joy if U2 go to New Zealand.

Earnie Shavers said:
He's mentioned the U2 tour (or apparent lack thereof) before, and that he's a fan.

I bet he loves to sing songs like With or Without You and Walk On in the car, but would flick through the radio stations and come across Lemon and not knowing it was U2, make a comment about how fucked up music has become today and flick off to something else. I know his type.

Are you talking about the same David Koch from Sunrise?! That guy's way out! I mean he's a finance expert on a breakfast telivision show! Of course he's gonna be into U2's pop/zoo experimental period :wink:

To be honest, I am quite sceptical about any rumour suggesting that U2 will play Optus Oval.

It would mean playing an indoor show outdoors, and whilst it does have 35,000 seats, that's all the way around the ground. The largest stand is the new Legend's Stand which isn't that high. It couldn't have more than 15,000 seats, and that's spread put over quite a distance (probably 75 m facing forwards).

There's no way they'd bring the European stage, so the indoor stage would have to be adapted to make up for the fact that there'd be no roof over the stage, plus there'd be no seats behind the stage.

Seems to me a lot of bother considering all the other trouble with promoters etc and the fact that there are many better venues in Melbourne, albeit booked during parts of March

Rod Lave arena holds 16,000 people indoors and has Commonwealth Games Gymnastics 16-26 March.

Telstra Dome seats 50,000+ with retractable roof (can be indoor or outdoor) and has Commonwealth Games Rugby 16-17 March.

It seems more likely to me that a March tour would work around the availability of one of these venues in Melbourne.

The problem with those venues is, while the competition may last 10 days or so, the venue will be locked out for weeks in advance for preperation and a week or so afterward for putting back to it's origional state. I recall months ago us discussing how even February may be a problem because of the games.

I can see how they could adapt the indoor show outdoors, much like Lovetown played indoors in Australia, and outdoors in New Zealand.

timothius said:
I can see how they could adapt the indoor show outdoors, much like Lovetown played indoors in Australia, and outdoors in New Zealand.

Right. Same applies to Elevation - that was an arena tour, but the stage was adapted to play an indoor stadium (Arnhem), an outdoor stadium (Turin), an amphitheatre (Berlin), and of course, Slane. Now does anyone here think the huuuge - 80,000 people - concerts at Slane suffered because the stage utilised is a slightly modified arena setup? Well, I don't know about you, but I sure don't, I've never seen anyone comment on it either, and when I first saw the Slane footage, I had no idea they were using a stage normally used in arenas.

So yeah, I certainly would not be so quick to write off Optus Oval.

another adelaidian...
u2 will never come our way again...
we will always now have to travel interstate...

C'mon Reptile, repeat after me "I love Melbourne".

Now repeat that about 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times and you will soon learn to believe it.

:wink:

arzcrack said:
It's one thing to alter a stage setup to accomodate 80,000 people at Slane, but another all together to accomodate 30,000 at Optus Oval.

Yeah, probably much easier.

If Elevation could play a stadium in Turin, an amphitheatre in Berlin, and Slane, I'm sure Vertigo can adapt to Optus Oval. I'd love to know why it couldn't.

reptile said:
another adelaidian...
u2 will never come our way again...
we will always now have to travel interstate...

uh..your second point its spot on....your third, is not....you mean Overseas, not interstate.

bono_man2002 said:

uh..your second point its spot on....your third, is not....you mean Overseas, not interstate.

It's going to rock when you have to eat your words. :wink:

At least, I hope you have to eat them. :|

I meant that it's not worth altering a stage for outdoors to only accomodate only slightly more than could fit indoors. Of course it can be done, but if $s are tight, it sounds like too much trouble.

I hope I'm wrong, don't worry.

Bear in mind that they had to alter the indoor Lovetown stage for New Zealand stadiums (the largest being Eden Park at 40,000), so you never know, they may be prepared to do it ...

I honestly hope they can find an indoor venue for Melbourne.

Back
Top Bottom