Australia off for 2006/07/08.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Considering the fact there's normally nothing on, I think that's a waste of $2 a day.

I'd rather watch grass grow than most of the garbage on TV.

But then I console myself with the fact I get all All Blacks games live, NZ's upcoming tour of South Africa live live live, 2 NPC games a week, every Super 12 game live, NZ's home cricket season completely live... etc etc. So :shrug:. :wink:

Which really is the main driver behind the service.

The fact that we get 10 year old episodes of Full Frontal is a bonus :drool:.

timothius said:

But then I console myself with the fact I get all All Blacks games live, NZ's upcoming tour of South Africa live live live, 2 NPC games a week, every Super 12 game live, NZ's home cricket season completely live... etc etc. So :shrug:. :wink:

Which really is the main driver behind the service.

The fact that we get 10 year old episodes of Full Frontal is a bonus :drool:.

See, I consider that a perk of living with someone else who'll pay for Austar year-round to watch goodness-knows-what.

BACK on topic, there's an article in the newspaper about the coming Coldplay tour (tickets on sale in a couple of weeks, but the tour isn't till June :huh: ) that mentions that the Rolling Stones and U2 are 'expected' to tour between now and then.

Thanks Earnie. This is sending me nuts.

Selling tickets now for a June concert makes good financial sense. Coldplay bank the income now and pay the bulk of the expenditure later. I wouldnt mind if U2 did this too.

Last edited:
People can say as they like about Coldplay.... but they said they would tour here, and they are. :up:

Thanks for the tip-off.

I love the Hobart Mercury's headline... "Fans Long Wait".

I would hardly dub August 2003 concerts to October 2005 ticket purchases "A long wait". :lol:

Last edited:
Coldplay is $120 per ticket!!

Me thinks U2 would be similar. IF THEY COME!!

If U2 wants to be considered the world's biggest act, coming to Oz is a must seeing all their other contemporaries are touring here in 2006 (Coldplay, the Stones, Madonna, Paul Mc, Simple Plan).

I didn't even think you were allowed to mention S----e P--n on a U2 forum. :huh:

bono_man said:
Coldplay is $120 per ticket!!

Me thinks U2 would be similar. IF THEY COME!!

The tickets may be more than that. I think that's around what the last tour (stretches mind back to 1998 yes, Feb 1998 a mere seven (7) years ago:mad: ) ticket prices were.

Well the figures I've heard bandied about by the promoters for the Stones is a top ticket of $450, then $270, $190 and finally "cheap seats" at $120. The Eagles can be blamed for this - the top tickets (which were $545) sold out first...

I'd expect the top U2 seats to be nearer to $200 - $300... Its just how it is. People are prepared to pay this much (heck, third tier acts like Jesswe Mc Cartney and Guy Sebastian charged around the $100 mark for theatre shows!!) thus the promoters are facing canny tour organisers that know they can demand top dollar for Australian shows.

Word is Madonna is asking $2 million+ a night (for arena shows!!) thus her top tickets will be $500 up - and you know what - she will sell them all - instantly.

U2 will also sell out - regardless of the charge...

DignityPassesBy said:
simple plan :lol: they're not anywhere near the level of any of those acts you just said

That was my attempt at humour.

:wink:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Well the figures I've heard bandied about by the promoters for the Stones is a top ticket of $450, then $270, $190 and finally "cheap seats" at $120. The Eagles can be blamed for this - the top tickets (which were $545) sold out first...

I'd expect the top U2 seats to be nearer to $200 - $300... Its just how it is. People are prepared to pay this much (heck, third tier acts like Jesswe Mc Cartney and Guy Sebastian charged around the $100 mark for theatre shows!!) thus the promoters are facing canny tour organisers that know they can demand top dollar for Australian shows.

Word is Madonna is asking $2 million+ a night (for arena shows!!) thus her top tickets will be $500 up - and you know what - she will sell them all - instantly.

U2 will also sell out - regardless of the charge...

Is this Australian dollars or US dollars?

How could U2 possibly charge $200 for much larger shows than the $75 ones the Finns put on? It's not as if the Finns are nobodies, and isn't it a rule that the larger the venue, the cheaper tickets get?

Axver said:
How could U2 possibly charge $200 for much larger shows than the $75 ones the Finns put on? It's not as if the Finns are nobodies, and isn't it a rule that the larger the venue, the cheaper tickets get?

They did 12,000 people over 4 nights in Sydney (+ another 2,000+ at Newcastle) which would put them pretty high on the Australasian acts drawing power list (they did 6,000 over three Dec last year & sold 60,000+ headling Homebake, plus their contribution to WaveAids draw). Infact I'll call they are the biggest live Australasian act at the moment.

But U2 is a completely different story, at the same ticket prices could sell 100,000+ straight out. Big reasons would be:

1) Length of time since they were last here
2) Length of time they will be again
3) Broad spectrum of people that want to see them age-wise
4) Novelty Factor.

Even with tickets at $300 they will piss in 3-4 shows at Entertainment Center/Superdome easy.

edit: I may have to check out Powderfingers last tour to qualify some of that last post, one sentance in particular. :hmm:

Last edited:
Yep sorry - that was all Australian dollars.

Why do the tickets get higher? Simple - the show is larger. The Finns played at theatres - only needing to move a backdrop cloth and the sound system around. No rigging, no stage, no screens.
They had a small crew as well - less people to look after.

U2 would bring in a crew probably of over 100-150 people. So thats 100-150 flights, hotel rooms, meals and paycheques. Venue hire is not that cheap - its based on a reservation fee, a percentage of ticket sales and merchandise sales. That is big bucks. Add on top of that the price promoters have promised the act, the money the promoter wants to make on top of that and then the ticketing fees...

Now, 12,000 ticket buyers have to pay for all that. Factor in there will be 'dark' nights where there is no show - venues still need to be held as its stupid to move stuff in and out. U2 may do 4 nights in Sydney - note that wont be 4 nights n a row - this tour shows they are hesistant to do more then 3 nights in a row.

So empty venues still charge rental if your stuff is inside it!

Add freight charges for buses, trucks and internal flights. U2 probably wont fly the Vertigo jet here - thus they will hire a private plane in Australia. More $$$.

Smaller acts dont mind flying Qantas and Virgin Blue - but do you think Bono is up for a stint on a City Flyer? Uh, no.

The bigger the venue, the larger the show, the more stuff, the more people, the more cash.

Everyone is in the toruing business to make as much money as they can - as a lot acts dont see a cent of record sales as production and promotion eats into any possible profit or they dont get royalties for years after the fact. I heard that Guy Sebastian and Shannon Noll are just getting large royalty cheques now - two years after their debut albums came out...

Basically expect to pay out of the arse for U2. If Coldplay are charging $120 - and thats with a severely downsized show and taking a lesser guaranteed fee, U2 will charge a ton for the best seats.

I really don't see why U2 can't bring a stripped down tour here to at least cut down on some of the costs. Considering the risk of not making a profit, I would've thought that'd be sensible anyway - less transportation costs, less staff required, less hotel rooms needed, etc.

Would U2 continue to play GA here? I'm not familiar with Australian policies, I just know it was banned in one American city and that the Finn concert in Brisbane was wholly seats.

I really am not that willing to pay more than $100 a ticket. Looks like I'll have to, though ...

Axver said:
I really don't see why U2 can't bring a stripped down tour here to at least cut down on some of the costs. Considering the risk of not making a profit, I would've thought that'd be sensible anyway - less transportation costs, less staff required, less hotel rooms needed, etc.

Anything for Lovetown II. :wink:

timothius said:

Anything for Lovetown II. :wink:

Was Lovetown stripped down? I have memories of a huge red backdrop. And that snake thingie. And the guitar image. /techinical lingo.

Ive been to some real GA shows here and some with seats. Seems to depend on the act. Neil Diamond had a spilt lounge section. The very front was standing, then seats, then the barricades and the rest of the hoardes.

i was also thinking of the perfect opening act for U2. INXS. lol even though this sounds funny its kinda serious they've just got their new singer they're looking for a new fan base outside of America and what better way to launch a new career in Australia then with a sell out concert and generally people who like U2 like INXS aswell they've got some awesome songs i think it would work. Probably never likley but i'd love it.

DignityPassesBy said:
i was also thinking of the perfect opening act for U2. INXS. lol even though this sounds funny its kinda serious they've just got their new singer they're looking for a new fan base outside of America and what better way to launch a new career in Australia then with a sell out concert and generally people who like U2 like INXS aswell they've got some awesome songs i think it would work. Probably never likley but i'd love it.

Part of me wants to agree with you!

If we are throwing around names who we would like to open... Shihad would be my first choice. Infact Shihad is my only choice. Bar them anyone will do except for.

Jet.
Powderfinger (Gold medals for coat tail riding on their career :down: )

Go-betweens

The Church (ok steve wouldnt agree)

sleepy jackson

The vines (ok they dont exsist anymore?)

Nick Cave andf the bad seeds (tee hee)

Finn bro's (!!!!) Split enz???? stop me.............

DignityPassesBy said:

Fake INXS would be murdered here in Australia. I think the only people who should hear Fake INXS live are people who have purchased tickets to an event with the specific intention of seeing Fake INXS, otherwise they'll be crucified.

Fake INXS would almost be an insult. I'd be very surprised if you could convince Bono to even comment on Fake INXS, let alone ever give them any support...

timothius said:

They did 12,000 people over 4 nights in Sydney (+ another 2,000+ at Newcastle) which would put them pretty high on the Australasian acts drawing power list (they did 6,000 over three Dec last year & sold 60,000+ headling Homebake, plus their contribution to WaveAids draw). Infact I'll call they are the biggest live Australasian act at the moment.

But U2 is a completely different story, at the same ticket prices could sell 100,000+ straight out. Big reasons would be:

1) Length of time since they were last here
2) Length of time they will be again
3) Broad spectrum of people that want to see them age-wise
4) Novelty Factor.

Even with tickets at $300 they will piss in 3-4 shows at Entertainment Center/Superdome easy.

edit: I may have to check out Powderfingers last tour to qualify some of that last post, one sentance in particular. :hmm:

It's hard thinking about which Australian acts toured over the past 12 months... the Finns would be up there. I'd suggest though that something shit like Delta Goodrem would be the winner... The Finns doing 12,000 over 4 nights is great, but that's one sell out at the Ent Cent, which people like Powderfinger and Delta do easily. Delta's concert may have been at the SuperDome? If that sold out, that's 20,000 right there. Groups that sell out the Hordern Pavilion would be up there as well, that's 6000 a show. Some fuck monkey like Pete Murray as well, he'd sell a lot, and he tours pretty consistently as well.

ANYWAY I'd expect $150 max for U2. The Rolling Stones, Eagles etc are all appealing to baby boomers who will pay whatever. Those ultra expensive seats also rarely sell to individuals, but to companies who use them in the same way they'd use seats to a grand final. Madonna is more an event than a concert. U2 have to stick to a certain limit - which they will - and it has to be more in line with, say, a Coldplay tour, a Red Hot Chili Peppers tour etc than a Rolling Stones tour. $120 average, $150 max, if it's a stadium, $100 for the cheap seats. It's actually why there's a bit of a problem with the tour coming here. If U2 could charge $400, it would be a done deal by now.

Back
Top Bottom