Australia off for 2006/07/08.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

That's what baffles me too! An arena tour would be viable, would actually sell out in Brisbane, and could visit other places such as Newcastle, Adelaide, and even the bloody Gold Coast (which would be dumb, but I'm saying it could). And it would be far less expensive to take it across the Tasman and play to what is arguably U2's most devoted audience in terms of concert attendance.

The only problem with taking Arenas to NZ is that you have no venues. North Shore Events Centre? Please, it holds about 5,000.

If they took stadiums to NZ however, you could quite concievably sell out Auckland twice, Wellington, Christchurch - Duniden (if during Uni) and Hamilton. NZ get carried away with things, I look at the Auckland Warriors phenomenen in 1995 - that was apeshit insane, the Americas Cup, Lovetown. We tend to love & embrace it when the outside world acknowledges our existance, wheras other countries in the Pacific Rim expect it and are slightly lax towards it all.

timothius said:

The only problem with taking Arenas to NZ is that you have no venues. North Shore Events Centre? Please, it holds about 5,000.

If they took stadiums to NZ however, you could quite concievably sell out Auckland twice, Wellington, Christchurch - Duniden (if during Uni) and Hamilton. NZ get carried away with things, I look at the Auckland Warriors phenomenen in 1995 - that was apeshit insane, the Americas Cup, Lovetown. We tend to love & embrace it when the outside world acknowledges our existance, wheras other countries in the Pacific Rim expect it and are slightly lax towards it all.

Good call on the venues, though I was under the impression Auckland had some kind of arena that seated around 12,000, and I know Christchurch has one. If Christchurch's arena holds 10,000, they could conceivably sell it out 3 times with other shows in the country (while an American/European city of comparable size would not even have the demand to justify a single show).

They're only going to sell out NZ stadiums if they come there quickly after the release of an album - yes, I know that wasn't the case with Lovetown, but that was on the back of One Tree Hill and NZ was U2 mad. So if these rumours of a 2006 album somehow turn out to be true, U2 could indeed rock up during the uni semester and sell out Auckland x2, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, and I wouldn't put one other city past them either - Napier, Tauranga, Palmerston North?

If you can get ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE into the centre of Wellington for a PARADE of LOTR stars before the premiere of Return Of The King, what we're discussing here could surely be done if timed right.

I'm enjoying this dream anyway.

Aucklands new arena (Vector Arena - 12,102 capacity) wont be ready until April - rumour is the Rolling Stones will be the first act to play there when their 'Bigger Bang' tour gets here near Easter. Christchurch's arena (Westpac Centre) is 8800 capacity if I remember correctly that is using a centre stage, so assuming U2 bring the arena show out with 360 degrees views... Not bad...

So they could feasibly (with availablility which is a huge concern) bring the arena show out here - maybe kick off with two nights at Burswood Dome, a night at the Adelaide Ent Centre (2 if demand is there), 4 nights at Rod Laver, 4 nights at the Superdome, 2 nights at Boondall, 3 nights at Vector Arena and 2 nights at Westpac centre... looks good on paper.

They could also use the Aussie/NZ tour as a step off point for an Asian tour - there are good size (8,000+ seat) arenas in Jakarta, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Manila, Taipei, New Dehli, Chennai, Mumbai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Beijing, Macau, Seoul, Busan... if they are being clever, trhis could be a great tour to a lot of places they have huge followings.

This is so shit i've waited all year missed out on a heap of things because i thought U2 were going to come down at the end of this year/start of next year and now it looks like they're not. Whats the Australian dollar at the moment i think we're only like 28c below the American dollar so they wouldnt lose alot if any if they did come down here

I think the problem with an arena tour is simply time. For example, thatsnotmypuppy, what you propose there is 13 or 14 Australian shows. I haven't paid much attention to U2's schedule, but I'd bet they try to limit back to backs these days, and I'd doubt they'd do more than 2 in a row. What I mean is, 14 shows, 2 weeks if they did one every night, in reality is more like 3 to 4 weeks. A stadium tour hits Sydney, Melbourne, maybe Brisbane. In and out - 2 weeks maximum (as stadium shows pretty much must be on weekends).

Axver said:

Perth isn't exactly the most fantastic place to go for venues. February's cricket season and there goes your stadium. Beli may be able to offer more perspective on why they made the venue choice on Popmart they did. Perth's so out of the way that I honestly don't see why they went there to play what was pretty much assurred to be the smallest, least attended concert on the tour.

They felt sorry for us...

There was no other venue to play at that could hold more than 10 000 people. Tragic but true.

You know what, i dont care about stupid figures and sum and attendance and shit....people are GAGGING in australia for ANY international talent as big and fanstastic as U2 to come! I mean for christ sakes Cher sold out of her $400 premo tickets like in the first couple of days! but anyway

WHO cares is U2 DONT make a profit in australia, incorporate it with the rest of their tour and surely you have ups and downs in a tour say, a toronto date wont make as much money as a madison square garden date or a dublin more then a cardiff or something...let australia be the charity country and let you SQUILLONS of dollars profits from you other shows help us out a bit..

why always looking for the bloody end line?!

FECK!!!!!!!! :mad:

Yeah, hopefully U2 will come and play down under.. You guys deserve it big time!!!!
....keeping my fingers crossed for a return to Europe (arenas) or US (stadiums in summer)...
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

They played Perth during Popmart because they couldnt afford to take ZooTV (Zoomerang) to WA. Also Adelaide was dodgy sales wise for much of the lead up - so a Perth gig - even though it was at the Burswood Dome - was a guaranteed sell out. I reckon if they played Subiaco on that tour it would have sold out.

As for the Vertigo tour - I've heard it is still mooted as an arena tour - haven't heard much about it converting to stadiums - so its obviously all over the shop at the moment...

*bump*

Any news anyone?

I might have some info soon from a someone who works as a rep for BMG. He is calling his friends at Universal so I will let you know if I find anything out.

Remember that Universal have absolutely nothing to do with touring. They are in the same position as us, seriously hoping it happens, but aren't involved in any way. Of course they're in the loop and know where it's at, but there is no use lobbying them or whatever (as suggestions of petitions etc have been made).

*cough*whatItoldyoucamefromuniversal*cough*

The reason for the hold up is simple. Promoters are not happy with the setlist and are waiting for them to get it right before allowing them access to our country.

Sken said:
The reason for the hold up is simple. Promoters are not happy with the setlist and are waiting for them to get it right before allowing them access to our country.

Axver! This is your moment :lmao:

I'd just like to pipe in and say...

U2 WILL come to Australia.

Optus Oval IS an option - Big Day Out, kicked from the Melbourne showgrounds due to redevelopment, has been given the green light by the council and whatnot to be held at Optus.

Waverley Part IS a shit hole, and it's in the middle of nowhere. This would have played a large part in lacking POPMart attendences.

Crumbs IS the best song on the new (relatively anyway) album. :wink:

I thought Waverley Park & Optus Oval were one and the same?!? (I don't know Melbourne too well). I also thought that the stadiums had been torn down? Okay for a festival, not great for U2 (if thats the case).

The BDO got a reprieve last week.

Crumbs is dull and is shockingly produced. U2, and many, many other bands, can do better. :wink:

Folks, not to put a dampener on things, but I saw this article posted on the U2 LJ community:

There's been some talk of U2 continuing their Vertigo tour after their last scheduled date on Dec. 19 in Portland.

But U2 guitarist the Edge told The Sun in a Canadian newspaper exclusive at the Air Canada Centre last weekend that nothing's been decided.

"At a certain point, we're going to have to get back and start thinking about the next record," said the 44-year-old guitarist, whose band plays the third of their four sold-out shows tonight at the ACC.

The Edge says he does write on the road but he's not as focused as when he's in one place.

"I do, but for every 10 songs I write there's probably only one that will end up going anywhere," he said.

"To start really getting into the material for the next record, it's going to take a lot of time off the road. There's a couple of things that I've done that I hear (and think), 'That's special, that's going to make the next record,' but I'd still need some time off, I think, to make a great U2 record."

U2, whose latest album is 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, wrap up their four-night-stand at the ACC tomorrow night and head to Chicago.

At their second show on Wednesday night, they were joined by Canadian producer Daniel Lanois on stage.

- Jane Stevenson

(c) Toronto Sun, 2005.

Australia deserves some shows. Surely fans elsewhere in the world can wait six months longer for new material so that the good U2 fans down under can have the experience of seeing the band live, right?

namkcuR said:
Australia deserves some shows. Surely fans elsewhere in the world can wait six months longer for new material so that the good U2 fans down under can have the experience of seeing the band live, right?

Right. Not even six months, really. A couple of months, if that. A tour down here doesn't have to be very long ...

Though part of me thinks that they shouldn't come out here until they've released a new album. Put out new material and start the tour down here. They'll be more in the public eye that way - at the moment, their popularity is waning due to a lack of attention and HTDAAB will have been out over a year once they come. However, this theory only works if the rumours of a quick album come true, as opposed to what's in the article I posted. If a new album isn't going to be for some time, come down here now. And start the new tour here in 2008 or whenever too. We don't take long, just a month here and then go to the US - they could even release the album in October/November as they seem to like doing, come here in February, and still start the US tour in late March quite easily.

Now I'm just rambling. Upshot of it all: U2, please come to the Southern Hemisphere.

Rumour has it they are planning a lightning stop of Australia.

They will fly here, Bono will drop his pants, bare his arse to the crowd. Then fly home. :wave:

One of those metaphorical days :sigh:

This appears to be as close as we'll get. Obviously not a full address, so add the triple w's and the html at the end...

.panoramas.dk/fullscreen5/f25_U2.

I think the news of the band releasing this Vertigo DVD spells the end of our tour dream, at least for U2 doing a arena tour of the country. They wouldnt release the DVD then tour, it doesnt make sense.

Back
Top Bottom