Australia is on - early 2006!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that crocodile guy is a bloody idiot... i mean do we talk like that? seriously? why can i watch an australian television show and people talk normally, then i see him and it sounds awful??? maybe it's just him??? i hope so.

nobody i know talks like him. he makes us look stupid.

ahh yup, sokki my friend. you're 100 % correct. he makes us look STUPID!.. No-one I know talks like that either, well unless we're taking the micky out of him haha..

hey um, u2 are coming to BrisVegas arent they??!?!?!?

i hope so. not that i live there or anything, lol, but i will go anywhere to see them... i've been saving for quite a while now... cut down on alcohol intake majorly... and i hope it wasn't for nothing haha.... i can't wait until they get to australia... i'm gonna go nuts soon if we don't get some kind of confirmation of dates. i'm in a state of panic already thinking about tickets, flights, everything.

if i didn't get to see them, i would seriously die.

that is a big committment and sacrifice you have made there sokki, the things we do for those we love. I'm starting to worry I won't have enough spare do-re-mi when they finally announce the tour **scary**

Can we discuss accents while we wait for U2 to arrive? I seemed to have noticed the NZ, Aussie and South African accents are similar in their nasal quality ( might be all the dust). I theorised the Kiwis are shaded with their Scottish ancestry, the Aussies with the Irish and the South Africans by the Dutch. I dunno mate really. When I was kid carloads of Kiwi surfers arrived where I lived and I loved their accents. There were quite a few South Africans too, all great surfers...the glory days. There weren't many Irish surfers :hmmm:
ohwahhhhhhhhh Bono said bloody! :laugh:
spoken like a true Aussie :up:

I'm just looking at that pic of Bono and Molly. I saw a discussion here about how good he looked on the day and "where did he get that jacket??!!"
Someone said it was a D&G, very expensive. There it is again, one of my big burning Bono questions... if he pays so much for his clothes and presumably has a stylist,why does he wear his sleeves so long?

**the thinks you think while you're waiting **

please don't die sokki, treat yourself to a drink. I discovered peach schnapps the other night..yummmmmmmmmmmm.

beaut_day said:

I think the reason the Aussie accent is portrayed the way it is is because of Steve Bluddy Irwin.. haha.. Oh I dont REALLY know..
But thats my guess... any updates on u2 tour?!

Steve Irwin is the tip of the iceberg. :yes:

But even the highest echelon of Australian society have appauling speech & accents... John Howard anyone? Bob Hawke? Kerry Packer? Shane Warne? Ricky Ponting... The list my friends is endless....

The comments regarding NZ -> Scotland, Aust -> Ireland, SA -> Dutch is exactly right I think. It should also be pointed out a majority of the early Australian's spent their time in jail cells - probably not the most condusive environment for perfect speech. :yes:

John Howard is old.. and studders... and he's ugly!.. needs an eyebrow wax or nose cleaner or something.. haha... Shane Warne with a terrible accent? I thought he spoke normally.. but i guess he prefers to text. God if our influence is off the Irish, we're lucky... Bono - I LOVE YOUUUUUU hahahahaha... I personally like the Canadian accent...(inline hockey player for QLD).. ^_^

The original tour was scheduled for December, in arenas, including a mammoth week in Sydney at the SuperDome that was supposed to bring the curtain down on the whole tour.

It was moved to January, same venues and amount of gigs (Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney only). I said a while ago in the other U2 Tour News forum that that was locked and ready to go and that August/September was looking firm for at least the announcement, maybe the tickets.

Something HAS changed since then but I'm not sure what. It's certainly all gone very quiet. Rumours I've heard are that;

* It's been pushed back again as U2 want to take the stadium show to the US, but I find that unlikely at that time because it's the northern winter.

* They have had a change of heart and want to bring the stadium show to Australia and there is a delay as the different simple logistics of that are worked out.

* They have had a change of heart and want to bring the stadium show to Australia and there is a delay because stadium ownership/promoter ownership/ticketing ownership has become quite complicated here now (at least in Sydney) and U2 are facing some difficulties in getting out of the SuperDome and over to the Football Stadium. This part is strictly a RUMOUR - Packer owns the SuperDome, he owns a large slice of the Paul Dainty Company (who promoted Popmart here) and he owns a significant chunk of Ticketek. Getting revenue from all three is rare and worth a shitload. The SuperDome isn't in the greatest financial situation, and a 4 or even 5 night sell out stand by U2 is worth fighting for from their point of view. It's a unique occurance for the venue. U2 opting out and heading to the stadium involves potentially fighting their way out of 2 contracts to accomodate the Football Stadiums agreements with Ticketmaster and it's own ownership. A compromise could see U2 play at the Showgrounds (the Sydney Big Day Out venue). It's also a larger venue that has better acoustics.

or

* All is quiet because it's locked in and ready to go as soon as it's appropriate to announce and sell (ie not yet).

Earnie Shavers said:
* They have had a change of heart and want to bring the stadium show to Australia and there is a delay because stadium ownership/promoter ownership/ticketing ownership has become quite complicated here now (at least in Sydney) and U2 are facing some difficulties in getting out of the SuperDome and over to the Football Stadium. This part is strictly a RUMOUR - Packer owns the SuperDome, he owns a large slice of the Paul Dainty Company (who promoted Popmart here) and he owns a significant chunk of Ticketek. Getting revenue from all three is rare and worth a shitload. The SuperDome isn't in the greatest financial situation, and a 4 or even 5 night sell out stand by U2 is worth fighting for from their point of view. It's a unique occurance for the venue. U2 opting out and heading to the stadium involves potentially fighting their way out of 2 contracts to accomodate the Football Stadiums agreements with Ticketmaster and it's own ownership. A compromise could see U2 play at the Showgrounds (the Sydney Big Day Out venue). It's also a larger venue that has better acoustics.

That is by far the most interesting possibility on the table. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if they have considered swapping the arenas for the stadiums. U2 have always treated Australia whimsically - postponing the JT tour, reshuffling of nearly every tour since then, whatever happened on Elevation (I have no idea, I've heard rumours of an aborted tour). It wouldn't suprise me if Bono has just decided he wants to play stadiums in Australia. Naturally if they have signed contracts and such, for what could potnentially be the biggest musical tour Australia has seen in God knows how long, then they will obviously not be easily swayed to lose their share of the pie... particularly any Packer run companies, particularly not failing Packer run companies.

The other issue that has arisen from the pushing back from 05 to 06 has been the scheduling. Since U2 came out last there is a lot more than the Football season to navigate. Regardless of arenas or stadiums U2 will have trouble stringing together some cohesive dates in the first quarter of next year. First the Australian Open will knock out RLA in Melbourne (as well as the fallback option at Vodafone Arena), then U2 will have to navigate the Big Day Out Festivals - which would be wise to avoid (and would rule out any kind of Olympic Park action for a few days as well), then we are staring down the barrell of the Commonwealth Games which will rule Melbourne out for a long while (which I personally think is the real stumbling block) & of course Sydney's Easter Show (which KO's Olympic Park yet again)... somewhere during all of this AFL & NRL seasons will start up making stadiums impossible. Clearly, Decemeber was the best option.

This inability to string together a run of dates in Australia, regardless of arenas or stadiums, was reportedly mentioned by Bono to somone a week or two ago outside an arena, he said somthing along the lines of "We are dying to come down but there is just so much on down there!". Bono talks shit, but there is no reason to about this.

My personal thoughts are based on this theory...

If it's arenas, they will be here no sooner than Mid April.
If it's stadiums they will be here either very early January or mid April.

In other words... I have no idea.

timothius said:

:lmao:

You haven't heard him on the phone. :drool:

No need to have to hear him.. he's all over the news.. wether its talking about his cricket career or his mobile gf's.. or his ex?? wife. the man does have a voice..

Earnie Shaver - Timo... thanks that was a real interesting read.
Lets hope they make up their minds before everyone in Australia starts to go mad..... >_< too late, i think its already started!!

i agree beaut_day we are already mad!

I just hope they release dates then give us at least a month in order to rustle up a good network or ticker purchasing allies to gain the most of all concerts!

I need to find a u2 fan in Syd who is crazy enough to line up EARLY for GA sydney tickets for ALL shows. Buy me 2 tickets, and i will buy you 2 tickets for Melbourne. it will be cool as! :)

anyone here wanna start the chain?

Here's what I have never understood in regards to lining up early for tickets - Why do so many people go to the big outlets in the city? WHY? They join a line of a hundred people or more, camp out, and are lucky to get something remotely decent. For Popmart, which is the only time I've done it, I went to a tiny suburban Ticketek outlet at 6am, which opened the same time as every other one at 9am. I was 3rd in line. I had breakfast and a chat for a couple of hours, booth opened, no hassles, front row tickets.

What would be the best way to get tickets in Australia? Should I stick with the Internet like I did for the US, or use the phone, or go in person ...?

Axver said:
What would be the best way to get tickets in Australia? Should I stick with the Internet like I did for the US, or use the phone, or go in person ...?

Well You can try 2 at once.
Phone and Internet.

My plan, is to get tickets in my home state first.....So We could all work out a plan to get each other tickets in other states.

well since i live in adelaide, and they're not even coming here, there's no way i can line up for tickets :sad:

i'd rather line up than use the internet.

i want to go to every show. i don't know if that's possible. anybody got any ideas???

It would be possible to go to all of them limited only by the time you have, the cash you have and the luck with tickets that you have. The hard part is monitoring when extra shows go on sale as it's not often advertised or even broadcast. If a first concert sells out ultra quickly (ie a few hours - a given if it's arenas), the second concert may very well go on sale that same day without you even knowing. The tickets will be sold through a national agency like Ticketmaster, so it's just as easy for you to go to the local Ticketmaster shopfront and buy, say, Sydney tickets on the day they go on sale as it is for us in Sydney. Going down to the shopfront is the best way, far better than the net or phone. Put it this way, it will definitely happen if you go to get them, with the phone and net it could easily not and you'd be kicking youself for not going out and getting them.

How come you say that going in person would be easier than online? It seems most people who got GAs in the US bought them online while those who lined up totally missed out.

Well the Australian TM ppl must be extraordinary cuz there isn't a chance in hell I'd go in person anywhere in North America.

By the time the sales person helps the first one of you in line, THOUSANDS of people online have bought tickets. If you're 4th or 5th in line and now it's 5-10 minutes later, good luck, buy a pair of binoculars.

sokki said:
well since i live in adelaide, and they're not even coming here, there's no way i can line up for tickets :sad:

i'd rather line up than use the internet.

i want to go to every show. i don't know if that's possible. anybody got any ideas???

I think its still possible to buy for intersate events, you should go in and ask.

I disagree and think that going by Ticketek/Ticketmasters online service, at least here in Aust, if you can be bothered waking up a few hours earlier and going to an outlet, particularly a suburban one, you are guaranteed to get what you want relatively quickly. Have you tried Ticketek on the morning of even a moderately big concert or tour going on sale? You sit there hitting refresh for an hour banging your head against the desk unsure of whether you are even going to get it done at all in time. At least at an outlet you know exactly what is going on. I mean, you could always cover all bases and get a friend to man the net/phones and you jump in a line. Trust me, a quiet suburban outlet will get you what you want quickly and guaranteed. I'd fucking hate to sit there watching staring at that "We're sorry we are very busy at the moment" message online while I'm trying to secure the first U2 tickets available in Australia in 8 years. I'd rather get at the front of a line and be relaxed in the knowledge that there's not going to be a problem and I'll get them.

Ok this has been my expeirence with both ticketmaster and ticketek.

They CANNOT handle ticket buying on the internet the first day of sale. They server goes down, you most definately cannot get GA or even good seats, they put the shit seats onto the first batch of online tickets. Too many people are there and it just overloads.

I lined up for tickets at a suburbans ticketek, was sencodn in line got my GA tickets for the concert and came home. I then went on the internet to get syd tickets (at 9.15am after online open at 9) missed out....site froze, pressed refresh...lost the tickets.

australia is not used to massive events, and out ticket companies completely SUCK! If you want to go to every show or close about we need to set up a ticket ring and FAST.

Calling by phone. Dont even try....all you'll hear is the engaged tone. I promise.

Lining up, or possibly have adsl computer internet and being able to log and refresh fast is the best way to go.

Who here wants to start a ticket chain?
It was done in 2001 for elevation, done for the rolling stones and for madonna...it works...its just gotta be sorted before ticks go on sale!

if you want to do it, leave a note here. I'm willing to get melb ticks for anyone...for all concerts...

ii've got someone getting brissy ones...

who esle can offer

sokki....instead of trading ticks, you might have to do a money order after ticks are bought...or possibly try the internet from home?

we can work it out! :)

Earnie Shavers said:
The original tour was scheduled for December, in arenas, including a mammoth week in Sydney at the SuperDome ....
This part is strictly a RUMOUR - Packer owns the SuperDome, he owns a large slice of the Paul Dainty Company (who promoted Popmart here) and he owns a significant chunk of Ticketek. Getting revenue from all three is rare and worth a shitload.

Packer :yuck: Packer making profits out of U2 :barf: missing out on a ticket to see U2 :sad:

thanks for sharing the info that you have Mr Shavers. It feels a bit like a lesson in faith and patience. I think we'll all graduate ( that's the faith part). It's a bit shocking to an old rocker like me how much the world of purchasing tickets and seeing a show has changed in the past few years.
I got my ZooTV ticket through a Byron Bay bus company, I'm not sure if they still do that. Looking back, those seats weren't too bad. I got my Popmart ticket from Norpa and even though it was silver ( cost extra) it wasn't a very good spot. Luckily serendipity intervened and a miracle occurred that night. :bow: I think I'd better start ringing the Norpa lady regularly and seeing what she knows.
If U2 do arrive here in April...well that would be a dream come true
**waits**
good luck everyone :rockon:

Shite, Ticketmaster has only ONE Gold Coast outlet, and Ticketek isn't doing much better with three. They'd be PACKED.

I pulled off a miracle with Ticketbastard's US site. Maybe I can do it again? :hmm:

Earnie Shavers said:
I disagree and think that going by Ticketek/Ticketmasters online service, at least here in Aust, if you can be bothered waking up a few hours earlier and going to an outlet, particularly a suburban one, you are guaranteed to get what you want relatively quickly. Have you tried Ticketek on the morning of even a moderately big concert or tour going on sale? You sit there hitting refresh for an hour banging your head against the desk unsure of whether you are even going to get it done at all in time. At least at an outlet you know exactly what is going on. I mean, you could always cover all bases and get a friend to man the net/phones and you jump in a line. Trust me, a quiet suburban outlet will get you what you want quickly and guaranteed. I'd fucking hate to sit there watching staring at that "We're sorry we are very busy at the moment" message online while I'm trying to secure the first U2 tickets available in Australia in 8 years. I'd rather get at the front of a line and be relaxed in the knowledge that there's not going to be a problem and I'll get them.

Exactly. Any experience I have had dealing with an event for more than 10,000 people has always been met with a binge of refresh, refresh, refresh.

There is a unreal small Ticketek agency a stones throw from my house and a smallish Ticketmaster in the area. Personally I find Ticketmaster slightly better (only slightly).

UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE
------------------------------------------

The Sunday, Sydney Morning Herald had a article saying that U2 have 'signed up' with a Australian promotor and are simply organising logistics...

Yah!

I CANNOT wait! I am sooo excited!!

Has anyone here joined U2.com? How will that affect ticket buying here in Australia????

dazzlingamy, would you get me melbourne tickets, and then i sent you the money? that would be awesome. i REALLY need to get something organised... i can try and get tickets, but i don't like the idea of this internet crap. people make it sound terrible.

however, if i can go to an outlet here and get tickets for other states, i might do that. or stick to the internet thing. i don't knnnooowww!!!??!!!????? :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom