Australia doesn't quite know what the fuck is happening 2007-2029

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
blueeyedgirl said:
2007 to 2029????
Well, it seems I have a week free in April, 2016. Surely U2 could tour Australia then, couldn't they?
Adam and Bono would be 56 years old then! :lol:

it's OK.. what to say... if u2 don't want they don't go ...
I think there will be no more show in our country ... U2 dates kills all ... 50 autumn US shows is enough ... so than band will be little tired ... never forget the open air EURO shows..!! 50-70 000 attendance is great ... u2 management vivist my country in august but I don't hope in any u2 show here in the future ... I know the reasons well

maybe by Coldplay get coldplay to book so far in advance was a plot by promoters to get U2 here. kinda like "hey coldplay are coming and so are the rolling stones apparently and foo fighters you'll be the odd ones out" lol i'm just hoping

bono_man said:
i see U2 are on conan o'brien. do we get that here? i know we get a few of the late night american shows, we get conan? if so, anyone know if they are on here?

sorry to change the thread topic!!

Yep....on the comedy channel on Austar/Foxtel.

I'll be dvd recording it...

Axver said:

Why? They didn't announce their US tour until two months beforehand (January announcement, March commencement). I believe Europe was three or four months beforehand (February or March announcement, June commencement). March is still five months away.

I believe on Elevation, their third leg wasn't announced until only a month or two beforehand! I remember people talking about tickets going on sale for the NYC shows the day before the 11th September terrorist attacks.

So I definitely don't think time has run out for a positive announcement.

Time hasn't run out, yet.....however a friend of mine who is associated (loosely admittedly) to the band in London told me the other day that U2 were pretty much struggling to tie down dates as they were holding out for indoor shows and not outdoor stadiums. He said there is still a chance a tour on this side of the world will happen but there is also a good chance that it may not. I'd say if there is no word by January, it's a good bet they probably won't be making it over, which obviously sucks.

I honestly do not understand why they could not stick to their original plan of playing Japan & Australia (and maybe NZ) during November/December this year and then heading back out to the States after the new year. Yes, it may have come down to cost, original ticketing cock ups or whatever else, but seeing as they had already played the first leg in the States and haven't been over this side of the world since Popmart, it would have been nice to see some loyalty to the fans on this side of the world. It'll be the first tour I've missed since the Unforgettable Fire tour (I'm English and only moved to Oz at the end of 2001).

I did plan to go back to London to see them in May and then over to Dublin as friends of mine had tickets for me if I went over but unfortunately the missus put her foot down and reminded me about her and the two kids, so I begrudgingly had to say no. Needless to say my friends had a great time at all four shows and made sure I knew about it...they did send me a programme and a couple of t-shirts though so I did forgive them!!

I spoke to Brisbane Entertainment Centre yesterday after booking seats through the fanclub presale for Coldplay. It was just after 5pm and the woman was quite surprised I managed to get through to the office as the switchboard should have been shut down at 5pm. After asking her my questions regarding seating I couldnt help but ask if she could tell me ANYTHING about the supposed U2 tour, she giggled and said "look we've all heard the rumour, unfortunatly there is no official word as of yet", I expressed my dissapointment and frustration regarding the announcements as did she being a huge U2 fan. She finished the conversation by adding "just because there is no official announcement don't get me wrong, they have been trying hard to secure dates and venues". I asked if she knew anything about a March 06 performance and she said there was nothing in concrete, just that they were 'trying'...

How hard can it be to say 'ok, these dates, these places, book it in, heres the money...'??

it seems like theres more to it than meets the eye...

:(

neilm said:

Time hasn't run out, yet.....however a friend of mine who is associated (loosely admittedly) to the band in London told me the other day that U2 were pretty much struggling to tie down dates as they were holding out for indoor shows and not outdoor stadiums. He said there is still a chance a tour on this side of the world will happen but there is also a good chance that it may not. I'd say if there is no word by January, it's a good bet they probably won't be making it over, which obviously sucks.

I honestly do not understand why they could not stick to their original plan of playing Japan & Australia (and maybe NZ) during November/December this year and then heading back out to the States after the new year. Yes, it may have come down to cost, original ticketing cock ups or whatever else, but seeing as they had already played the first leg in the States and haven't been over this side of the world since Popmart, it would have been nice to see some loyalty to the fans on this side of the world. It'll be the first tour I've missed since the Unforgettable Fire tour (I'm English and only moved to Oz at the end of 2001).

I did plan to go back to London to see them in May and then over to Dublin as friends of mine had tickets for me if I went over but unfortunately the missus put her foot down and reminded me about her and the two kids, so I begrudgingly had to say no. Needless to say my friends had a great time at all four shows and made sure I knew about it...they did send me a programme and a couple of t-shirts though so I did forgive them!!

Would Australians be insulted by a small theater tour there? If the band is unable to book the Arena's they want for the time period, and does not want to do stadiums because of cost and the weak demand on POPMART there for shows of that size, would Australians accept a 10 date Theater Tour playing to perhaps as little as 25,000 people in total?

STING2 said:

Would Australians be insulted by a small theater tour there? If the band is unable to book the Arena's they want for the time period, and does not want to do stadiums because of cost and the weak demand on POPMART there for shows of that size, would Australians accept a 10 date Theater Tour playing to perhaps as little as 25,000 people in total?

I would prefer to see them in theatres - aside from the fact that there would be tempting seats and that prices would be fucking insane.

Publically though doing theatres (unless they want to do 100 dates) would be suicide - meaning many thousands of die-hard fans wouldn't get tickets.

Demand would be much higher on PopMart for many factors...

ATYCLB was very successful here.
HTDAAB didn't do too bad.
They haven't been here in so long that many people would go for the novelty for it.
Many artists are starting to have successful multiple arena dates (Foo Fighters) or successful stadium tours (Williams, Green Day).

I can't understand why they can't just forget Melbourne or just move the arena show outside for one date. If they cop out of this tour on the excuse that "There weren't the right venues" that will reflect pretty weakly on them.

neilm said:

Yes, it may have come down to cost, original ticketing cock ups or whatever else, but seeing as they had already played the first leg in the States and haven't been over this side of the world since Popmart, it would have been nice to see some loyalty to the fans on this side of the world. It'll be the first tour I've missed since the Unforgettable Fire tour (I'm English and only moved to Oz at the end of 2001).

But the thing is, many NA dates were postponed the first time around because of personal issues.

So yes, "we" had a first leg, but Canada had only 2 shows, both in Vancouver, which, if I may add is on the other side of the country from where most of us live. Not to mention, NYC got ONE date for what, 20 million people? There are legitimate reasons for returning here in the fall - yes, some venues are repeats, but a lot of us didn't have a chance to see them until now in a reasonable vicinity.

STING2 said:

I can't imagine why Australians would be insulted by a theatre tour -- to me that would be an awesome way to see the band (hell, any band). The question is more would U2 be insulted by having to do a theatre tour?

anitram said:
Not to mention, NYC got ONE date for what, 20 million people?

Certinally better than NO dates for 20 million people.

Ideally if U2 only want to play to December they should have played one longer leg of America, then Europe, then the world. :(

Alright, I'm updated and I'm going to be nice and mysterious here because I think we all like surprises.

The potential for what we widely expect is slipping away rapidly every day.

It is however still the preferred option and is not quite dead just yet.

Meanwhile, the potential for something very unexpected is growing every day.

It's very exciting. Particularly for two certain groups of fans represented in here.

For one of the groups of fans, the only fact you need is actually in this very thread, find that, do a little more research, and you'll understand what might actually be going on here. For the other group, I can't help you with a fact, but hold tight, I'm sure it will fall off the back of a truck soon enough. These things are NEVER tied down very well.

Probably the best news is a final decision one way or another on both of these must be made very, very, very soon. Time is money after all, and this is an industry, not just one business, and this is October for fucks sake, and a surprise can't wait. Everyone loves a party, right?

Chew on THAT.

p.s U2 have actually been to Australia since Popmart. But only to Sydney. And it was only two of them. And they were at different times. :wink:

That is like the Achtung Baby of all posts. Intriguing on first listen but it will probably take me a good 6 months a to completely get it. :wink:

The part that took my interest most was the last sentance...surely you can spill the beans on that one :wink: :lol:

Last edited:
The arrangement itself is actually intriguing. And the only fact you need to know is in one of these threads. Whether it was planned that way or not from the beginning is what is interesting I guess. I think I'd actually prefer it.

timothius said:
I have been informed that this may well go ahead... read into it what you will.

U2 Tour of New Zealand (with Australian Sub-Leg)

31st December - Auckland Harbor Viaduct New Year's Eve Party!
1st January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
2nd January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
3rd January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
4th January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
5th January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
7th January - Hamilton: Founders Theatre w/ Betchadupa
8th January - New Plymouth: Showplace w/ Bic Runga
9th January - Rotarua: Convention Centre w/ Bic Runga
11th January - Tauranga: Baycourt Theatre w/ Winston Peters Lonely Hearts Club Band
13th January - Palmerston North: Regent Theatre w/ Shihad
14th January - Palmerston North: Regent Theatre w/Shihad
17th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
18th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
19th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
21st January - Lower Hutt: Lower Hutt Indoor Bowls Arena w/ Shihad
22nd January - Wellington: Regent Theatre w/ Shihad (Wellington Anniversary Day)
24th January - Timaru: Theatre Royal w/ Tim Finn
25th January - Omaru: Town Hall w/ Tim Finn
26th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ Scribe & P-Money!
27th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ Russ Le-Roq!
28th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ A reformed Dragon
29th January - Auckland - Eden Park (Part Of The Auckland Anniversary Day Spectacular supporting Shihad, Bic Runga, Neil Finn, Tim Finn, Betchadupa, The Suburban Reptiles, Scribe & Goldenhorse)
31st January - Wanganui: Opera House w/ Goldenhorse
2nd February - Nelson Bays: Theatre Royal w/ Shihad
4th February - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Tim Finn
5th February - Auckland: St James' Theatre (supporting Neil Finn)
6th February - Auckland: Cornwall Park (U2 Play at One Tree Hill on Waitangi Day!)
10th February - Christchurch: Town Hall w/ Scribe
11th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Betchadupa
12th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Evermore
14th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Stellar*
17th February - Invercargill: Civic Theatre w/ Goodshirt
19th February - Stewart Island: Stewart Island Community Hall
21st February - Auckland: Aotea Cenre

Australian Leg...

25th February - Perth: Founders Theatre w/ The Daltons
26th February - Perth: Beli's Lounge Room
27th February - Perth: Founders Theatre w/ Somthing For Kate
28th February - Sydney: State Theatre w/ A reformed Midnight Oil

1st March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
2nd March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
3rd March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
4th March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
10th March - Brisbane: Brisbane Exhibition Centre??? w/ Dream Theatre & Porcupine Tree SOLD OUT
11th March - Brisbane: Brisbane Convention Centre w/ Kings Of Leon
13th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
14th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
16th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
17th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour

New Zealand Return Stadium Leg Leg... (Instead of support there is 30 song sets)

25th March - Auckland: Eden Park
26th March - Auckland: Western Springs Stadium
27th March - Manakau: Ericcson Stadium
29th March - Hamilton: WestpacTrust Park
30th March - Hamilton: WestpacTrust Park
1st April - Wellington: WestpacTrust Stadium (Axver chooses the setlist & is brought on stage whenever he wants)
2nd April - Wellington: WestpacTrust Park
3rd April - Wellington: Basin Reserve
7th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
8th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
9th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
10th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
15th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
16th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
18th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
20th April - Queenstown: Queenstown Events Centre
22nd April - Napier: McLean Park
24th April - Taupo: Taupo Convention Centre
27th April - North Harbour - North Harbour Stadium
28th April - Auckland: Eden Park
29th April - Auckland: Eden Park
30th April - Auckland: Eden Park
31st April - Auckland: Eden Park
1 May - Wellington: New Zealand Tax & Securities Office whilst filing for Bankcruptcy.

:hmm:

"Everybody Loves A Party" huh? :wink:

I've cracked Earnie's Enigma... they are starting the tour on New Year's Eve in Auckland! :happy:

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!

U2 are going to phone me up tomorrow and tell me they're playing a month in my backyard playing my setlists!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Earnie Shavers said:

It's very exciting. Particularly for two certain groups of fans represented in here.

Is one of these groups Kiwi fans?

For one of the groups of fans, the only fact you need is actually in this very thread, find that, do a little more research, and you'll understand what might actually be going on here.

How about this from earlier on in the thread, is this the fact?

Axver said:
18 January 2006 at the Sydney Super Dome is an old rumour. It placed U2 in Sydney on 13, 14, 17, and 18 of January.

You do emphasise it's October, and if they're here in January, the announcement definitely needs to be made quickly.

timothius said:
I'm trowling throug the old threads now. What an amazing time capsule of optimism...

I'm thinking somthing to do with the Commonwealth Games possibly...

Well, he did say 'this' thread, so I'm assuming this one, not the two old ones.

Axver said:
Ooh, shows I'm blind.

Your above post more than makes up for it.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out the "two groups" philosophy... as we all live in Australia. But yours does make a lot of sense.

Having a ring a round at some point in the next few days would certinally pick up on somthing...

Earnie Shavers said:
Alright, I'm updated and I'm going to be nice and mysterious here because I think we all like surprises.

For one of the groups of fans, the only fact you need is actually in this very thread, find that, do a little more research, and you'll understand what might actually be going on here. For the other group, I can't help you with a fact, but hold tight, I'm sure it will fall off the back of a truck soon enough. These things are NEVER tied down very well.

Probably the best news is a final decision one way or another on both of these must be made very, very, very soon. Time is money after all, and this is an industry, not just one business, and this is October for fucks sake, and a surprise can't wait. Everyone loves a party, right?

Chew on THAT.

p.s U2 have actually been to Australia since Popmart. But only to Sydney. And it was only two of them. And they were at different times. :wink:

:ohmy: :hmm: :crack:

Earnie Shavers said:

Chew on THAT.

LOL stop fucking around and tell us what you now ... i think everybodys about to go insane if we don't find out soon

timothius said:

Your above post more than makes up for it.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out the "two groups" philosophy... as we all live in Australia. But yours does make a lot of sense.

Having a ring a round at some point in the next few days would certinally pick up on somthing...

I'm trying to work out who the two groups could be. Kiwi fans? Aussie fans not on the east coast? Fans who want a theatre tour?

Geez, Earnie, could've you possibly made a more mysterious post to really get our brains going? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom