Are Cameras allowed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oisinw

Babyface
Hi,

I know loads of people have taken photos etc. Is there an official policy that cameras are now allowed at U2 Gigs - do you declare them at the entrance when you are being searched or just take a chance and hide them?

If they are taken off do you get a ticket to claim them back? I want to bring my good camera but don't want it taknen off me or refused entry.

Anyone know the story for definite here?

Thanks,
O

There's no real definitive answer to this. U2 have more or less been of the opinion that cameras are fine, with the exception of professional cameras with tele lenses for example that the press use.

The problem is that where one venue will not make an issue of cameras, others definately will and not allow photography. So there is absolutely no consistancy from gig to gig.

I can't see them taking the camera off you tho, as it would create massive problems in people having to retrieve the mafter the show. It's more likely you would be asked to give up the batteries instead.

I'm going to take the chance and bring my camera along anyway, even tho it's not likely I'll get anywhere near the front (other commitments that day :mad:).

I brought a digital camera and a disposable in plain view to the 2 Twickenham shows. Some guys around me had "semi-professional" cameras and they had no trouble either.

I don't think U2 have any problem with you taking a camera, as long as your not going to make money out of the photos

i've never had a problem bringing my camera in ... honestly every single person has their camera with them, there is no way they could possibly poilce that. I have even seen people with DVD recorders. I held my camera right in front of security when they were checking me, not a problem at all. As long as you don't bring in some professional-grade camera that is obviously not for personal use you will be more than fine.

As it turns out, I was able to use my camera freely despite being right in front of security at the first barrier. Almost everyone around me had either their cellphone, or digicam (LOTS of them) snapping away all thru the concert.

Even walking in with a backpack, they only asked if I had bottles in it rather than search it for themselves.

Mmmmm...nice bottles of orange they were too :wink:

I took my camera to hampden, glasgow and had no problem, the only problem I did have was I couldnt take in plastic bottled water and then found people beside me drinking vodka - maybe I shouldve taken vodka instead haha

Brought my camera to Manchester ,no probs.
Against my better judgement I brought a camcorder to Croke 3.
I would have had a nice bit of footage except for a crazed security official.
I barely had the camcorder out of the bag when he spotted me .
It wasnt even turned on.
I was in the pit and he was about 10 yds in front of me.
The lunatic start going insane ,shouting at me,I was unaware of him for about 10 secs as I was fiddling with the camcorder.
He wanted me to go up to him but I managed to tell him the crowd was too thick so I apologised and told him I'd put it away which I did.
It remained in the bag for the night.
About 5 mins later he called over another 2 security goons and was pointing down at me.
I was getting a bit fazed at this stage.
30 minutes later the same two goons appeared around me and they were scouting around for something/someone.
The nutter was staring over at me from time to time.
I cant see the problem as everyone around me had cameras and a few camcorders.
Someone flashed the security guy directly in the eyes as he was harassing them too.
What a f***ing nutcase.

no problems with "ordinary" compact digital cameras or--even better because of danger of breaking it-a disposable camera--at Croke Park,Dublin. Just make sure you don't have tele lenses (replaceable lenses)

So there is no need to hide my camera for the security? Because normally, when i go to a concert, i hide my camera in an empty bag of chips, or something like that. But this time i'm planning not to take any backpack with me (so i can jump around without the backpack bothering me :D). But i'm afraid if i just walk in with a camera in my hand, that they will take it....

LindaS said:
Because normally, when i go to a concert, i hide my camera in an empty bag of chips, or something like that.

Clever :wink:

:yes:
The guy even looked at my camera, asked if it recorded video & I said " I think so"
theres a fricking video button ON IT.
he grabbed it, looked all over it & let me in.

arizonan security guards arent the absolute smartest people ever :lol:

I was at a concert at Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, Sweden last year. That is the same venue that U2 are going to play in.
I didn't have a camera myself, but lots of other people around me did, and security marched in during the first song and literally wrestled cameras out of peoples' hands. I hope they got them back after the concert somehow.
That venue has a policy of no cameras allowed whatsoever, but I think it was a bit harsh anyway.

I was at Berlin on 7 July and everyone around me in GA had a camera....even after the terrorist attacks that morning, the security people still didn't look in people's backpacks since it was such a mad rush to get into the stadium. I find the security to be stricter about cameras in America. However, I always seem to sneak one in......I find that hiding it in a food or plaster box seems to do the trick!

I'm going to see U2 at Madison Square Garden in October...do you think I'd have a problem getting a camera in???

Back
Top Bottom