Anyone Here Know Pittsburgh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the best bet to meet them is around 3-4 near the downward ramplike entrance thing? Unfortunely the forecast for Sat looks really crappy....wonder if theyll want to stand out there if its raining like hell...gotta love Pittsburgh weather...but anyways 2 more days!!!

I plan on getting there around 3 am I am leaving Philly at like 10 pm. So right when I get there im getting in line.

BrianT said:
So the best bet to meet them is around 3-4 near the downward ramplike entrance thing? Unfortunely the forecast for Sat looks really crappy....wonder if theyll want to stand out there if its raining like hell...gotta love Pittsburgh weather...but anyways 2 more days!!!

the thing is that it was beautiful a few days ago! LOL I don't get it! It was really chilly today!

BurninStar said:

I'll be there on Saturday!!!! Unfortunatly I'm not going to see them in Cleveland, but I live in Cleveland so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

BurninStar - whereabaouts in Cleveland? I was born & raised in Euclid, my sibs now live in Mentor.

Hi everybody, I just posted over in the Pittsburgh fan gathering thread, so feel free to ignore my pleas if you already read them over there.

Short story, my husband and I just found out we can travel to Pittsburgh this weekend, but I cannot get my hands on tickets. Can anyone please advise me if it's a good idea or not to just head to Pittsburgh and try to get tickets there somehow, and just how would I do this?

Thank you all in advance for your help. I really hope to see you guys in Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Where are you coming from? If its within a couple hours I would say go for it. You've checked Ticketmaster? Sometimes they have some last minute ones they make available.

If you walk around Forbes Ave and the nearby roads that are a few blocks from Mellon Arena, I guarantee you can catch a few people selling their extra tickets. I luckily was able to sell some extras I had, otherwise I would have had to resort to scalping them!

A few questions for the more experienced concert goers: I have GA's and I'm planning on arriving early. How early would you advise me to get to the arena if I want to be pretty close to the stage, no matter where I end up being scanned into (ellipse or floor)? Also, I have a friend who is coming with me, but he won't be coming until later because he does not want to stand in line. I told him to come at 5:30. Do they fence the lines in with barricades by then, or is it just a regular line? Also, will they allow him to even get in line with me if he comes that late? I'm just wondering what is the best course of action for tomorrow.

Also, does the location of my GA on my ticket mean anything? It says Floor, G08, and then 1157-8.

I hope to see you guys tomorrow! Bring umbrellas! :D

Last edited:
The location of your GA ticket means nothing... So you're safe.

As far as your friend joining you in line at 5:30 even if you have stayed there all day is pretty much a no-no... 5:30 is prime nervousness time and seeing new faces joining the line tends to make people a wee bit defensive... The reasoning people have sometimes is "well, it is just ONE person" but the thing is that is you're 80th in line all day and all of a sudden 20 people in front of you all let in ONE person each, you are now 100th in line and pretty much out of the running for front rail contention...

So that's my take, take it as you will :)

I'm planning on heading over to the arena at somewhere like 3. What would you say is a more suitable time for my friend to join me? 4? 4:30?

I'm just having a hard time convincing him to come stand in line for 4 hours before the concert starts.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have found tickets, so I hope to see you all in Pittsburgh tomorrow!

Safe travels, everyone, and stay dry.

This might be a dumb question but: will they allow you to bring iPods inside? I'm gonna be outside for a long time so I want some music to distract me, but since they are out of production, I don't want it being confiscated...

What a concert. WHAT A CONCERT. I'll get back to that later.

Everything else before that was a joke. I got to the arena at 2:00 and it was 45 degrees and raining all day. My pants were soaked and I was freezing like crazy. I got my hand numbered (259) so I was comfortable with my standing for GA.

However, no one at the arena had any clue what was going on. I thought where I was standing was the back of the line, but it turns out it was the front (as the GA area was right on the street where I arrived). There were no staff members to ask what was going on, where we were supposed to go, or how the lines were organized. Basically, the people policed themselves the entire day.

The number system was entirely useless too, since people just stood where they wanted and did whatever they wanted. There was no one to stop them, and nobody complained because no one knew what was going on, nor did anyone explain. Basically, it was just chaos and we all ended up just standing around where we felt we should. The numbers never came into play, a U2.com line was never even mentioned, and they did not open the doors until 6:40. Very poor organizing on everyone's part.

Not only that, but a friend flaked out on me so I had an extra GA ticket to sell. Nobody seemed like they wanted to buy so I ended up selling it to a scalper for $40, a $100 loss from where I started. I felt like I sold my soul and was feeling down, wet, and cold.

And then we were let in and the pure joy and excitement of being on the floor set in. Seeing Mellon Arena from a completely different perspective than I'm used to was a rush. I was literally at center ice, looking on at all the fans. Me and the people I paired up with did not end up in the ellipse, but we weren't complaining! We were 4 rows of bodies from the tip of the ellipsde, a good 10 feet from the stage.

The arena staff on the inside were some really cool dudes. They took the time to take photos of parties of people (one guy spent 5 minutes trying to get the perfect photo for this girl and her friends). They tossed the beach ball back when it hopped over the fence. And they were very conversant with the front row guys.

I was hanging on every "OH" of Wake Up, when they started dimming the lights and lowering the stage lamps. The anticipation was the most I've felt in my entire life.

I knew that from where I was standing, if City of Blinding Lights was the opener, I would get to see Bono pop right up in front of me. And even if Love and Peace was the opener, he and Larry would still start out on the tip. But man, nothing beats COBY as the opener. Nothing.

From there, U2 raced through their set list and did a great job on every song. Electric Co was mind-blowing. My jaw was hanging for the entire song and the rest of the concert on. I knew what songs to expect the band to play, but that did not affect my excitement and enjoyment of them.

Maybe it's just me being partial to the concert I attended, but something seemed really special about this one. I've been to 2 others in my life and have seen half a dozen bootlegs (some of the best ones out there). But U2 really seemed on tonight. Bono seemed like he paused a lot longer in between songs to listen to the crowd cheer. The expressions on his face seemed to suggest he was amazed by the support of the crowd. He uttered the words "Wow" at least a half dozen times throughout the concert. Unbelievable.

It cannot be said enough: Miss Sarajevo is a brilliant song. Especially when Bono does Luciano Pavrotti (sp?)'s part. I tested my new digital camera's Video feature for the first time on his opera solo and it was dead on, like expected. A wonderful performance.

The song that brought down the house and changed the night was Party Girl. Alan, as the crowd knows him, had been holding up a sign that said "ME + GUITAR = PARTY GIRL" for a good portion of the concert. When Bono first came down to the edge of the ellipse where we were, he definitely saw the sign, smiled, and said something. Later, he returned to the edge of the ellipse and asked "Where is that guy that wanted to play Party Girl?" Bono was looking off in a completely different direction while everyone in our area was screaming. Finally, he sees Alan with the sign and bring him up to the main stage, where he proceeds to play a nearly flawless version of Party Girl, with Edge, Larry, and Adam. And yes, Bono got the lyrics right. At the end, Bono opened a bottle of champagne and proceeded to spray the crowd and Alan with it. After the song was over, Bono handed the bottle over to Alan, who got the loudest ovation of the night as he walked back down the ellipse to his seat. After the concert, as the people I buddied with were driving me home, we saw him walking outside Mellon Arena in the rear view mirror. Immediately, we scrambled to find a CD with Party Girl on it and just as he was passing the car, we rolled down the windows, opened the doors, and blasted the song for him.

I simply cannot say enough about the concert. This tops everything I have seen in my life. Easily the most fun I have ever had.

I will post pics tomorrow after some Photoshopping.

I really enjoyed Damien Marley, and I didn't think I would. 100x better than Kings of Leon. He had a full band, 2 women just dancing their hearts out, a guy waving a jamaican flag the whole time. impossible not to dance!

Back
Top Bottom