American Airlines Arena after hurricane Wilma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckonanz

The Fly
Does anyone know anything about the AA Arena after hurricane Wilma? I know that Brickell that is very close to the arena was hit hard and some buildings there suffered a lot of damages.

:hmm:Hmmm...sounds like a good excuse to reschedule the Miami dates for December and end this tour properly...in Miami and not Portland!:wink: I wish.

man, i'm really scared about this whole situation, i mean, i do know how horrible it is to have a hurricane screw up your country in many ways, im a honduran citizen (hurricane mitch '98), if they reschedule the concert i hope i can do the same with my airplane tickets

I'm heading down to Marco Island, FL in about a week. This is where Wilma came on shore. The damage wasn't that bad. Some wind damage, disruption of power, etc. The east coast had less strong winds, but had as much or more damage for some reason. Probably because they didn't prepare for Wilma, thinking it wasn't going to be a problem for them. I'm sure the concerts will go on as scheduled though as I don't think the damage was that severe in south Miami. I think most of the damage on the east coast was further north around Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach. If you're worried, you should contact the AA arena, the airline your flying on and the hotel you're staying at to make sure there are no problems.

Last edited:
I think it's going to primarily be an issue of if electrical power is back on, rather than damage. Most of the damage is to mobile homes and old houses, and of course high-rise windows. But the electricity is taking time to restore. I think because the East Coast has more older homes (pre-Hurricane Andrew) is why you see more damage.

I heard that Marco Island has had a lot of power restored already should have most of the rest of the power restored by tomorrow but the Isles of Capri may not have power for a couple of weeks still! Talked to my parents in Naples (on the West Coast) near where the storm came ashore - they live about 12 miles east of Vanderbilt Beach and they had no damage at all to their condo, power came back for them last night. Most places in central/downtown Naples are still without power though.

My parents are in Miami (Kendall area), and they finally got their power back today. From what I've heard though Miami Beach and the area around the arena has had power and Miami International Airport reopened yesterday, so I think we'll be fine for the shows.

Just spoke with a family member in Ft. Lauderdale area. She said it's a mess there. No electricity, water isn't safe, gas lines are around the block, and there is not enough fuel to go around.

Hopefully they can get the situation under control there soon, in the next week. Otherwise, yeah, it could be kind of a mess down there for a concert.

The AA Arena is in south Miami, not Ft. Lauderdale. Loew's Hotel in South Beach is open and has power/water. It's on the ocean...the AA Arena is on the bay. As far as I know things are fully functional in that part of Miami (hurricanes spin counter-clockwise and those living north of the eye as it exited FL got the worst of it, as did those living south of the eye as it entered FL).

I think the concerts will go on as planned, especially since they're over 2 weeks away. There are a few Miami Heat games and some other concert scheduled before the U2 shows at the AA arena. I haven't seen any indication that they are going to be cancelled or rescheduled.

Pop Artist said:
I heard that Marco Island has had a lot of power restored already should have most of the rest of the power restored by tomorrow but the Isles of Capri may not have power for a couple of weeks still!
Yeah, they're restoring power from the north to the south of the county. Those living along 951 between the Marco bridge and 41 (Isle of Capri, Mainsail Dr, etc.) are going to be some of the last people to get power...perhaps as late as Nov. 15th. Marco Island was obviously an exception.

I just visited the AA Arena page (www.aaarena.com) and they canceled a diabetes walk on nov 5 and an Amor a la Musica concert for nov 6. The Heat is schedulle to play tomorrow, hopefully they will play so there should be no problem with the concert.

:ohmy:

I'm in about 45 min south of West Palm and we were hit pretty hard- just got power back last night.

I hope the arena will be fine by then! I'm sure it will though :yes:

If the Heat play tonight (11/03) in the AAA there is no doubt in my mind that u2 is a go.

I hope the boys can work some new songs into the setlist in the 3 days between oakland and miami.

I contacted the AAA's guest services shortly after Wilma to inquire about the shows. This is the reply I received:

Thank you for inquiring about the U2 Concert. Yes, the concert is still scheduled as planned for both dates and we look forward to having you in the American Airlines Arena. Please let me know if you have any other questions concerning the Concert. Thanks and have a great time at the show!

Back
Top Bottom