Aloha stadium warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoriffic

Babyface
Warning for out of town fans!

I just returned today from a long vacation in Hawaii. I attempted to go to the University of Hawaii vs. Purdue football game held at the same venue U2 will be playing at. The stadium had around 44,000 fans, the largest turnout of the season but less than what is expected for U2.

The island, city, and stadium are not able to handle the amount of people that will be expected! Let me warn all of you now, if you are not a local read this carefully.

Avoid parking at all costs. The stadium can hold maybe 5000 cars, and even then a large percentage is for parking pass holders only. There are several alternate parking sites at a great distance from the stadium. You may learn about them if you are lucky, after our first 1.5 hour slow crawl to the stadium we were turned away and told by police to "park somewhere else". After following the next line of cars working our way to another entrance we were again turned away and given a pre-printed map of 3 locations with vague directions not useful from our current spot. After waiting in another traffic jam heading over a mile from the stadium we gave up.

If you are coming from Waikiki as most tourists are, consult thebus dot org website and find public transportation options. Find an express event bus if possible as normally scheduled routes do not use the highway. Leave by bus at least 3 hours before the concert begins.

Leave very early. I left 2.5 hours before the game start time from Waikiki and only began to glimpse the stadium as the kickoff was starting. If you insist on parking, arrive at the stadium a MINIMUM of 4 hours before the event.

Obtain highly detailed street maps of Honolulu. The majority of maps do not include the small one way side streets you will have to negotiate to find parking, all having very similar sounding names as the Hawaiian alphabet has limited characters.

Scope out your route and discover cheap parking options the day before. The police told us to "just find someplace to park" and that is what the locals do. Every fast food place, community center, high school, and side street will be used for parking.

Expect delays. Despite having almost perfect weather year round and zero reason for road decay, Oahu has some of the worst roads you will ever travel on and are always under repair. The main expressway H1 is a parking lot at various hours of the day as it can not handle basic city traffic and will be insane with tourists flooding in for U2. There will also be lingering crowds from the anniversary of Pearl Harbor as well as the marathon scheduled just after the concert.

Do not let something as stupid as parking cause your Hawaiian vacation to be ruined. Do not underestimate how awful the situation is there. Leave early. Also be aware that Honolulu is a dangerous city. Even a member of President Bush's security detail was brutally attacked in Waikiki just the other day. If you are late and pressed for time, it will be dark and you may pick the wrong place to park in desperation.

I would take this persons warning seriously.. I lived on Oahu for 4 yrs and actually lived in the miltary housing a mile from Pearl Harbor Naval Base with is next to or across the street from Aloha Stadium... This city is not equiped to handle this many people. As mentioned football games cause the worse traffic that I have ever seen.. And I know traffic having lived in LA all my life.. What makes it bad is that there are no real outlets/ways around the traffic when it starts.. I wonder if the police/security are anywhere near prepared for this.. The locals are very laid back and not so organized..
For those camping out you will be ok.. But for those who are not as mentioned leave very early. H1 freeway is the only major highway on the island coming from waikiki so once that backs up there isn't much choice but to sit. There is a road that runs parallel to H1 but I can't think of the name at the moment.

Leaving the show well, hang out at the stadium for a while if you can cuz if you get in your cars you won't be moving for a long long time..

U2Fanatic4ever said:
There is a road that runs parallel to H1 but I can't think of the name at the moment.
I know the name, only because we didn't exit when we should have. Who would have guessed an expressway can go in two directions and still be called the same thing!

Nimitz Highway will run parallel to H1 and near the airport actually underneath it. You will be no better off as it has stop lights and is under construction.

Chizip said:
Sounds terrible, glad I'm not going

Hanging out in 3 hours of traffic only to not see an event you paid money for isn't all that bad once you realize you are in Hawaii. A little careful planning and the day will be amazing. I can't believe 18 hours ago I was sitting in the open air airport only to come home to a foot of snow to shovel.

bonoriffic said:
Also be aware that Honolulu is a dangerous city. Even a member of President Bush's security detail was brutally attacked in Waikiki just the other day. If you are late and pressed for time, it will be dark and you may pick the wrong place to park in desperation.

I think you really could say this about ANY city.

The aide was at a nightclub in Waikiki, and stepped outside to have a smoke by - alone. If it wasn't an White House Aide, this would not have made national news.

As you would in any city you are visitng - you need to be ALERT!

Thanks for the bus suggestion! i think we will lave the rental car behind.

AND...you may have arrived late for the first half....but you did not miss much...the second half was MUCH better (despite the loss)! :up:

:yikes:

Wouldn't there, theoretically, have to be a certain amount of parking spots at any venue based on the capacity of said venue? 8000 spots for 40,000+ seated stadium? That's an average of 5 per car (NOT). Seems quite ridiculous, especially next weekend with 60,000 expected... :crack:

Hello! I'm new to interference and from Hawaii (born and raised). Just to chime in here. Traffic is HORRIBLE here. When there is a big event such as U2 it is important to get to the stadium EARLY. There are two main ways to get to the stadium from Waikiki if you stay on the freeways/highways. But they will back up quickly and you will be stuck in gridlock. My suggestion is that you go early, and hangout around the stadium. Go to Kmart or McDonalds or the mall, PearlRidge-down the street.
Oh, and coming from West Oahu is probably the worst traffic on the island. If you decide to drive and can't find parking in the stadium you can park outside and it's relatively safe. With so many people leaving at the same time, there will probably be a crowd of people when walking back to your car. Main thing to remember is: try not to look like a tourist. Blending in is always safer.

ebadu said:
Hello! I'm new to interference and from Hawaii (born and raised). Just to chime in here. Traffic is HORRIBLE here. When there is a big event such as U2 it is important to get to the stadium EARLY. There are two main ways to get to the stadium from Waikiki if you stay on the freeways/highways. But they will back up quickly and you will be stuck in gridlock. My suggestion is that you go early, and hangout around the stadium. Go to Kmart or McDonalds or the mall, PearlRidge-down the street.
Oh, and coming from West Oahu is probably the worst traffic on the island. If you decide to drive and can't find parking in the stadium you can park outside and it's relatively safe. With so many people leaving at the same time, there will probably be a crowd of people when walking back to your car. Main thing to remember is: try not to look like a tourist. Blending in is always safer.

Is Pearl Harbor/Arizona withing walking distace of Aloha Stadium? I was thinking of arriving before noon, parking at Aloha and visiting the PH area to kill time. Thanks.

It's close. I don't know about walking distance, I've never walked it. You could probably walk it. It's on the same road pretty much, or just catch the bus down the street. You could park and then walk across the street and catch the bus to PH and back. But remember: It's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor on the 7th. Lines this weekend might be long at Pearl Harbor too.

thanks for the info ebadu

sounds like the weekend will be a logistical nightmare. Couldn't U2 have planned this better :grumpy: :wink:

ebadu said:
It's close. I don't know about walking distance, I've never walked it. You could probably walk it. It's on the same road pretty much, or just catch the bus down the street. You could park and then walk across the street and catch the bus to PH and back. But remember: It's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor on the 7th. Lines this weekend might be long at Pearl Harbor too.

I know the road, I remember seeing Pearl Harbor on my way to the swap meet in April. How about this Pearl Ridge Mall, what is the distance from the stadium? I don't remember seeing the mall in April, it must be on the other side of Pearl Harbor.

no problem! Let me know if you need more info. I know how confusing our roads are to people who are not from here. It is a logistical nightmare on many levels. We're probably going to camp out, to avoid the worst of the lines and the traffic.

Pearl Ridge is west from the stadium. it is opposite from pearl harbor. If you drive away from pearl harbor on the same road you will eventually hit the mall. (The road is called Kamehameha Hwy. )About 5 minutes from the stadium.

ebadu said:
no problem! Let me know if you need more info. I know how confusing our roads are to people who are not from here. It is a logistical nightmare on many levels. We're probably going to camp out, to avoid the worst of the lines and the traffic.

Pearl Ridge is west from the stadium. it is opposite from pearl harbor. If you drive away from pearl harbor on the same road you will eventually hit the mall. (The road is called Kamehameha Hwy. )About 5 minutes from the stadium.

Good tip. We'll probably stay inside the parking lot and tailgate, but at least now we have some options. Thanks.

techfire said:

Is Pearl Harbor/Arizona withing walking distace of Aloha Stadium? I was thinking of arriving before noon, parking at Aloha and visiting the PH area to kill time. Thanks.

We are thinking of doing the same thing.

I think we will "scout" on Friday!

thanks for the info ebadu!

Thanks ebadu!
What about those without car? I'm concerned about the coming back to the hotel after the concert? Are there buses available that late?
Some of you here mention something about an interference bus, How is it possible to be included? My wife and I.
Any information will be appreciated.

If you are catching the interference bus you will be fine. But if you catch the city bus that late at night I would make sure there are people with you. The bus stops on Kamehameha Hwy. (across the stadium) are near one of hawaii's more notorious low income housing areas (Halawa Housing). It is not a place you would want to be by yourself at, late at night. However, if you look up the bus schedule and know the times that the buses come, you can time it right and not be waiting very long. Plus, by reading other people's posts. It sounds like a lot of people are planning on catching the bus...

Ok, very helpulful. thanks!
In case os missing the bus for any reason, Do you know if there are taxis available that late? are there any taxi call service to pick up over there?
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom