Aloha stadium warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Early Report

Show... Unbelievable!

Event Staff and Facilities IN General...

Yeesh!

Bathrooms...Where? I went into the mens bathroom, and more woman then men... Who can blame them though with 45 miunte waits..

Merchandise line - at 5 pm... 45 minutes

Sec K, Home of the GA staircase...Impossible to get up and down for at least half the show... People just standing in the aisle watching the show thinking it was a seat... Lack of ushers, Lack of people who cared in general in the event staff...

Building was made by the Ancient Hawaiians and depite the amazing feeling of rocking up and down, kinda felt woozy and nervous at times...

90 minutes to get home from what the stadium calls a parking lot..

Don't get me wrong though.. The Show itself... AMAZING! Unbelievable! Spectacular!

We made it into the parking fairly easily at 3:45pm or so, but trying to get a Hawaii shirt? It was a battle, my wife ended up getting me one, during Rocko. The posters? I will just try on eBay. Those were great.

poppedtart, I was Sec K too (Row 11), right on that aisle, and yes, the constant back and forth was very annoying in the beginning, although it got better by mid-show. The lines at the show for the bathroom and the merch stands were humongous! A pal tried to get me a U2 Hawaii shirt between PJ and U2 but they were already sold out, got me a Rocko Hawaii shirt instead. <g> However, we got very lucky getting out of the parking lot and we didn't even get a head start getting out, took an exit that went right onto the H1, clear sailing back to Waikiki before the streets closed for the marathon. Left the lot at approx. midnight, back in my hotel room by 12:25am. We were amazed too. :wink: Good sets by everyone! Did anybody post yet that Lila's daughter Maddy was brought up by Bono during SBS? :) And I think the gal brought up during MW/WOWY was part of Kimla's party, although I'm not 100% on that.

Pop Artist said:
poppedtart, I was Sec K too (Row 11), right on that aisle, and yes, the constant back and forth was very annoying in the beginning, although it got better by mid-show. The lines at the show for the bathroom and the merch stands were humongous! A pal tried to get me a U2 Hawaii shirt between PJ and U2 but they were already sold out, got me a Rocko Hawaii shirt instead. <g> However, we got very lucky getting out of the parking lot and we didn't even get a head start getting out, took an exit that went right onto the H1, clear sailing back to Waikiki before the streets closed for the marathon. Left the lot at approx. midnight, back in my hotel room by 12:25am. We were amazed too. :wink: Good sets by everyone! Did anybody post yet that Lila's daughter Maddy was brought up by Bono during SBS? :) And I think the gal brought up during MW/WOWY was part of Kimla's party, although I'm not 100% on that.

i briefly talked about maddy in the fan experiences and photos forum in the tour section.. and actually someone posted a real good pic of maddy on stage with bono over there. The girl that was pulled on stage was not from Kimla's group, not a interferencer either. Not sure who it was.
I am gonna let Lila give the full story when she can.

Pop Artist,

We were 2 off the aisle in row 5 and I was literally telling the ushers when I went up and down to clear the place before U2 took the stage, but they really didn't care.. Even talked to the tour event people and they even said they had their hands full... Not to mention I didn't like late GA'ers just ripping off my view that took me alot of effort in waiting for just lucking out and standing there getting the same view... I've snuck alot of views in my life sneaking into good seats, but don't stick 100 of them in my face and taunt me..

Finally I talked to the Police and they sorta started to clear people out by the middle with the help of a few ushers... and the steps.. wow.. the black stripe was trippy, you didn't even know where the end of the step was... we left at midnight, and got to our hotel in Waikiki at nearly 1:30... we just hung out for 45 minutes chilling afterwards knowing there was no chance we could move...

I couldn't really see who the Girl was at the end, but I thought as well it may have been Kimlas party... There were a few meetings after the fact but man, even in Reserved my gf and I were spent... like nothing left when we got to the hotel... I cant even imagine how much it took for a GA good seat...8 hours was a long time, I can't imagine 15... Glad we did what we did though getting the last fan club tix for that show...I loved the view just a few feet above everyone else...

oh and screaming catcall chick in front of me annoying the pi** out of me, but you can't do much about that...

I know I'm bitching alot about the "other" part of the event.. but the performance.. Don't get me wrong was the best of the 10 shows I've seen... 5th on this tour.. All the others were amazing as well... But if you have to pick a winner...

Just got back myself, due to traffic nightmare stories we decided to arrive early (around 2:30 or so) and the stadium area was almost a ghost town. Traffic didn't really start until 5 pm or so, and even then it looked to be moving. Great show, can't stop watching my concert video taken with my phone. Good times.

I wish I had read this thread prior to the show. No exageration, the traffic to the stadium was absolutely HORRIBLE. I took me over 2 hours to get to the stadium from Wikiki and had to park illegally in some nearby neighborhood. The street signage completely sucked, and the traffic cops directed everyone to parking lots that were completely full. I missed half of PJs set, but luckily got there in enough time for the main event.

Also, I had purchased premium ($160) tickets for the show, and they turned out to be obstructed view. The tent around the sound board blocked the entire center view of the stage. I am assuming this had something to do with reconfiguring Aloha stadium from baseball (the original concert date was in April) to football. Luckily, no one was checking tickets to GA, so we moved. Anyone else have a similar problem?

We drove to the stadium early knowing in advance about the parking situation. Altho it ended up being a good experience, another great show, the parking was a nightmare but at least it was only $5 per car. There wa sso much pot smoke I felt high. I agree about the concession lines and bathroom availability and lines as was stated above.....Allegra waited 40 mins for a t-shirt. The stadium employees had no clue what was going on, they couldn't answer the simplest of questions. We parked in the handicap parking and had to walk to the opposite side of the stadium for Melissa and Janelle to go through a tunnel onto the floor. A Hawaiian few minutes means at least 45 minutes, things move slow, no worries here. We took our time exiting the stadium and waiting at our vehicle before inchine out of there and back to Waikiki. Got back to the hotel just before 2am and there was no room service, no shops open and we were starving. Still, the concert was awesome. We are glad we came, and still have several days to explore and enjoy.

Can't wait to get back and share photos etc. and take the time to look at everyone else's. I've seen so many U2 folks here and yes, it was SO exciting knowing that was Maddy who Bono pulled up on stage. I did get a couple pics . I sent a text message to Lila immediately! Lucky Maddy. Lucky Mom, Lila!!

Gotta run.....catch up with everyone on our return. ALOHA!!

techfire said:
Just got back myself, due to traffic nightmare stories we decided to arrive early (around 2:30 or so) and the stadium area was almost a ghost town. Traffic didn't really start until 5 pm or so, and even then it looked to be moving. Great show, can't stop watching my concert video taken with my phone. Good times.

We got there about the sametime. i was relieved after all of these stories.

we got to spend some time with Interferencers in GA, got in when the main gates opened...got event t-shirts with no problems, and caught up with a few interferencers before Rocko!

We had to wait in the lot to get out...but the wait was expected (much like any other venue). I had very little issues moving through the streets of Waikiki at 1:15 am (from the stadium and airport to the Outrigger and then back to our Condo at the Marina).

I was suprised...and happy! :D

Carek1230 said:
There wa sso much pot smoke I felt high.

Of the 12 Vertigo shows I've seen this year, the crowd at this show was far and away the most plowed. I mean this in a good way, there were few obnoxious drunks and everyone was just having a good time.

What a great time! We had a great GA experience (got there at 5:30am) and the mood was just so great surrounding the show. The people of Hawaii know how to live. I love their laid back style.

Came home yesterday and am missing Oahu very much right now....

zoney! said:

We got there about the sametime. i was relieved after all of these stories.

we got to spend some time with Interferencers in GA, got in when the main gates opened...got event t-shirts with no problems, and caught up with a few interferencers before Rocko!

We had to wait in the lot to get out...but the wait was expected (much like any other venue). I had very little issues moving through the streets of Waikiki at 1:15 am (from the stadium and airport to the Outrigger and then back to our Condo at the Marina).

I was suprised...and happy! :D

I have a harder time getting in and out of Dodger Stadium on a weekend, this was a breeze. Watching the sunset from the parking lot was sweet. I had zero issues after the show driving thru Waikiki, I was expecting marathon street gridlock. The only problem I had was finding a place to eat in Waikiki, everything was closed. Thankfully we found a 24 hour McDonald's on Kuhio Ave, which was packed with post concert tourists.

techfire said:

I have a harder time getting in and out of Dodger Stadium on a weekend, this was a breeze.

My EXACT thoughts as we were waiting in the car. I have sat longer trying to get INTO Dodger Stadium!

U2Fanatic4ever said:

i briefly talked about maddy in the fan experiences and photos forum in the tour section.. and actually someone posted a real good pic of maddy on stage with bono over there. The girl that was pulled on stage was not from Kimla's group, not a interferencer either. Not sure who it was.
I am gonna let Lila give the full story when she can.

The girl who got pulled is named Lola and I met her twice on this trip, once after the shore and on Monday on the NOrth Shore!

She's in her 40s and is super nicE!!

skjuls said:

The girl who got pulled is named Lola and I met her twice on this trip, once after the shore and on Monday on the NOrth Shore!

She's in her 40s and is super nicE!!

very :cool: ... there is a vid clip of her dancin on youtube somewhere.. she was all smiles and dancing very well. :wink:

WTG!!! Lola!

The event staff were clearly overwhelmed at this show.... Its like they weren't expecting it??? I thought that the tshirt stand would be deserted during PJ -- no way. I was almost crying I was missing so many PJ songs. But I managed to wiggle my way through and get a poster (very awesome). It was impossible to get a tshirt, they were all out of varying sizes and styles, and yet there were still clueless people up front making their decisions instead of being ready in advance! I felt sorry for the workers, they were stunned, like they just could not believe the crowds, and it was really chaos, a free-for-all.

Since we took a cab there, we had to catch a cab back... that was a bit of a nightmare as there were NO taxi stands where you line up in an orderly fashion and get a cab... Nope, we were running down the street the direction we came from franctically trying to flag down a cab. Fortunately we caught one about a mile from the stadium and shared a cab back to Waikik with a couple from the UK. Back at the hotel by 1:00 am.

Yes, the stadium management totally sucked, it was crazy, but it was all SO worth it to be at that show. I was there, I got to see U2 and PJ, the show rocked, and that's all that matters!

Yeah dude, same here. I took the bus to the Stadium and that wasn't bad. Left Waikiki @ 2 and got there @ 3:45... 4? Getting back.... geez.... that fricking sucked.... But, awesome show. :wink:

I just wanted to say a big Mahalo to the original poster - because of your warnings, I was able to enjoy a stress free parking situation - we left our Waikiki hotel at 3:45, were in the parking by 4:30, parked right near the exit, tailgated, and were able to curise right out of the stadium and be back in Waikiki within 25 minutes of leaving the parking lot after the show!! I was shocked at how easy it all was. But, it wouldn't have been if I hadn't read this thread and left for the show at 5:30-6:00 like I had originally planned.

Now, don't even get me started on the bathrooms and the tshirt lines. I didn't even dare to get in the tshirt lines - it was way too crazy for me.:sad:

Cstar- Aloha!! Hope you and your hubby had a good time, I didn't see you on the plane ride back!:(

Back
Top Bottom