Aloha stadium warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you going to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona, I believe that the way it works is that you first show up and you are given a ticket for the Arizona visit. When we went in April it was something like we showed up at 10 and were told to be back by 12, 12:30 for our tour of the Arizona. There are things to do while you wait of course (Bowfin, Museum, etc). BUT my understanding is that during peak times, your wait is a LOT longer. (ie, maybe you would show up at 10 and get told to come back at 2:00). I would assume this weekend will be high traffic. So, you will want to make sure you show up EARLY to claim your ticket.

Miroslava said:
For those of you going to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona, I believe that the way it works is that you first show up and you are given a ticket for the Arizona visit. When we went in April it was something like we showed up at 10 and were told to be back by 12, 12:30 for our tour of the Arizona. There are things to do while you wait of course (Bowfin, Museum, etc). BUT my understanding is that during peak times, your wait is a LOT longer. (ie, maybe you would show up at 10 and get told to come back at 2:00). I would assume this weekend will be high traffic. So, you will want to make sure you show up EARLY to claim your ticket.

Sweet! Thanks for the detailed info.

Hi Miro :wave:

Hawaii football games are AWFUL when it comes to traffic. Everything that has been said is absolutely accurate. For U2, get to the stadium in the morning if you can and just hang out and make a day of it.

ebadu said:
It's close. I don't know about walking distance, I've never walked it. You could probably walk it. It's on the same road pretty much, or just catch the bus down the street. You could park and then walk across the street and catch the bus to PH and back. But remember: It's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor on the 7th. Lines this weekend might be long at Pearl Harbor too.

What about taking a cab???

As for cabs. You would probably have to call one because most don't hang out in that area. The best cab company is "The Cab". They have the most cabs. Their phone number is 808-422-2222.

U2SJ: If you leave at 1pm you will get there before the concert starts for sure. However...I'm not sure if you will get parking. People like to Tailgate. Even if it says no tailgating. Nobody really listens to that. And last weekend for the UH/Oregon game, the stadium parking was filled by about 1pm.

Ebadu: I have helicopter ride that day. They will pick us up @ 9:30. It's a 30 min ride. I'm expecting to get back no later then 12 PM. I'd say I leave the hotel around.... 2? By bus, should I be okay and expect to get there let's say.... 4? What do you suggest....?

That sounds like it would work. Depending on the bus, some of the routes take the extra long way, they don't go on the freeway so you could probably make it by 4 if you left at 2. You might even get there earlier. What you might want to do is call the bus company or look it up online to see how many different buses you can catch to the stadium from your hotel. The more options you have the better, otherwise you might get stuck waiting for a bus that only runs every half hour or something on saturdays. You could catch the Number 8 bus from Waikiki to Ala Moana Shopping Center and then transfer from there. The shopping center is a MAJOR transfer point for all the buses on the island practically.

ebadu said:
As for cabs. You would probably have to call one because most don't hang out in that area. The best cab company is "The Cab". They have the most cabs. Their phone number is 808-422-2222.

U2SJ: If you leave at 1pm you will get there before the concert starts for sure. However...I'm not sure if you will get parking. People like to Tailgate. Even if it says no tailgating. Nobody really listens to that. And last weekend for the UH/Oregon game, the stadium parking was filled by about 1pm.

So once the parking lot is full, where do we park? I assume it's a 2-3 hour wait to exit stadium after show, am I correct?

Ebadu: Cool, thanks! Now someone else suggested we take the #52 Express bus. I'm staying @ the Double Tree Hotel. So with all he times that I gave you, it will still work, right?

Anytime I go on a trip I leave 3 hours before the flight is scheduled to leave. That is my rule. Even if it is a weekend. You just never know with traffic here what is going to happen. Youm might end up waiting a long time at the airport....but at least you will make your flight. If you take the H1 to the airport you should bypass a lot of marathon traffic (ie. street closures etc.).

Once the parking lot is full, people park on sidestreets and wherever they can find parking (ie. the residential areas around the stadium). Unfortunately, you kind of have to know the area to find parking once the parking lot is full. Going back to waikiki after the show shouldn't be too bad. Probably about an hours wait because the change around the traffic lights and stuff to make the traffic flow easier out of the stadium.

52 express should be good. Looks like that would work!

You are very welcome!
I am in GA. Us locals don't get stuff like this very often...I am excited to be where all the action is! How about you?

ebadu said:
Anytime I go on a trip I leave 3 hours before the flight is scheduled to leave. That is my rule. Even if it is a weekend. You just never know with traffic here what is going to happen. Youm might end up waiting a long time at the airport....but at least you will make your flight. If you take the H1 to the airport you should bypass a lot of marathon traffic (ie. street closures etc.).

Once the parking lot is full, people park on sidestreets and wherever they can find parking (ie. the residential areas around the stadium). Unfortunately, you kind of have to know the area to find parking once the parking lot is full. Going back to waikiki after the show shouldn't be too bad. Probably about an hours wait because the change around the traffic lights and stuff to make the traffic flow easier out of the stadium.

52 express should be good. Looks like that would work!

Thanks bro, I think Saturday we'll have an early breakfast and off to the show, with plenty of tailgating products. Good to know the post concert traffic won't be as bad. I appreciate your feed back.

Ebadu...ya still online? I was trying to PM you, but was unsuccessful (do I need to be a paying premium member just to PM?!). You've been excellent with your info, but I'm wondering if you would not mind if I actually call you shortly by phone - there are a few specific questions about this weekend that I'd like to ask you privately. If you catch this in the next few minutes, I think you can list your Ph# briefly, then Edit it out after a few minutes. You can also call me now at the number below - I will likely Edit it out a lil later, but I don't mind posting it for now; I will immediately call you back so that it's on my dime! :) Hope you're around!

I might as well leave my email addy in case you want to contact me that way: u2west @ yahoo com. Thanx!

Thanks once again for the input and advice during our phone conversation just now, E - we'll see ya FRI evening! Amazing how quick and efficient these forums can be!

Everybody else [I'll start my own thread later this week]...my g/f and I may need floorspace following the show - we can be on our way first thing in the morning, and are definitely able to pay some cash. Got the flights, got the GAs (with TWO EXTRAS to give away in exchange for assistance), and we are NOT canceling this trip for anything...but we just might need a lil help from some of you friendlies along the path...as Bono once told me "sometimes, you can't make it on your own..." ;)

We're almost there, Dad!

Last edited:
ebadu said:
She is very cute. And lucky! Hope to see you in GA! (my real name is Erika).

Oh damn, did I say "Thanks bro" in my previous post. I totally apologize, I feel like an idiot. What I meant to say was, Thanks friend. :wink:

The neighborhood around the mall is fine. Lots of neighborhoods in Hawaii are gonna look ghetto, but they're not. There are very few "bad" neighborhoods on Oahu. Most have become middle to upper middle class b/c of the price of homes. Its just that the houses are old and the salt air erodes everything really quickly. To be honest, there is not very much residential area right around Ala Moana.
And it does have a Sephora. A big one. :)

Miroslava said:
One more sleep, one more sleep!! :hyper: :hyper:

Your going to sleep?? I'm going to try, but have a feeling I will be up all night until I have to leave in the AM!!

Back
Top Bottom