ZOO TV Opening...with W. Bush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
Back in 92 U2 opened their show by mocking G. Bush... sadly, mocking G. W. Bush WON'T happen on this tour because politicians will be sitting in the luxury boxes, I'm sure. U2 is slowly but surely distancing themselves from the very ideal that brought me to them: their ability to say what they want, when they want. However, taking those chances is too risky nowadays in America, which is exactly why they should take a stand on issues such as war (everyone agrees on the AIDs issue...even Bush, so that doesn't count)... nothing would make me happier if they did. Bust out the white flag...rock the boat. He used to drop f-bombs in defiance of war...now he drops them when he wins a golden globe: I know Bono will bark, but will he ever bite again? This is a perfect time to wake up the world. I hope that they do.

Bono has to play a very delicate game in order to win the concessions for AIDS and Africa. Politicians may agree, but agreement in the political world doesn't equate to meaningful solutions.

And really, Bono's just as political as ever. Thing is, he's matured from saying "fuck this, fuck that."

I realize that it's important to obtain the funding to fight the spread of AIDS and concessions must be made for that cause. I heard him speak in my church two years ago: he means what he says. All I'm asking for is something to get the press and rock community talking again...to put pressure on politicians. It worked in 1992's election and in regards to the war in Yugoslavia. They have a powerful voice...I only want them to use it more. Oh, and as for a "lib" listening to U2... let us not forget Dick Cheney voted AGAINST the national holiday for DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. In the name of love, con.

I agree with Axver. In the Deluxe edition book, Bono writes that to make progress, politicians have to lay down their arms and meet with their enemies. I think that's exactly what he's doing. I seriously doubt he's just cuddling up to world leaders because he wants a few more friends.

IMO, Bono has never been as political as he is now. Especially in 2001 & 2002, he was banging on doors in Washington continually. That's about as aggressive as a person can get in voicing their opinion. He got right in their face and lobbied for real change. What should he have done instead? Join Al Qaeda? The effectiveness of waving a white flag and cursing out the bad guys onstage eludes me. It's SO EASY to do that, any fool can do it. Bono has taken the HARD road to change, one that takes alot of time and effort, and I think this is the way that will actually work.

I see his point of laying down the arms etc.
Sleeeping with the enemy is the only way for progress yadda yadda but as long as people still call us "libs" as if I'd be offended instead of proud I don't see much real progress. At least my abbrev. isn't "con".

Oh and also-I love the clip of GW senior calling U2 a Rock "Grop" and then referencing Boy George. Now his son is taking meetings with him.
The irony!

I enjoy the entertainment value of mocking Bush senior and the like, I just don't see how it fits in with the work Bono is doing now.

I'd just like to point out that Crumbs From Your Table is one of U2's most harsh and cutting political songs there. Powerful message. Bono has advanced past mockery. Now he's more subtle and he's a master at both speaking his mind (in an articulate manner) and getting what he wants for those he is working to aid.

I agree with Axver - Crumbs is a great song, a mature response to the greedy and uncaring American Evangelical church. Would love to hear Bono do a little rant if they do Crumbs live on this tour.

Oh yeah, since Crumbs was brought up, I also agree that it is just as scathing of an indictment as Bullet the Blue Sky. I think it could apply to America in general as well as the American Evangelicals. Some people say that Crumbs is mellow, boring, or even lacking passion (what?). They must think that saying the f-word a dozen times and playing heavy riffs is the only way to express anger. Bono does a masterful job of exposing hypocrisy, greed, and apathy in Crumbs.

Lines like 'Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself' and 'You broke every heart thinking every heart mends' pierce right to the heart of the matter.

My fav part though is the last part of the bridge:
'Three to a bed, Sister Ann she said, Dignity passes by'.

Three AIDS patients to 1 bed is just awful. Bono certainly painted a powerful picture in my mind with that line.

Axver said:
And really, Bono's just as political as ever. Thing is, he's matured from saying "fuck this, fuck that."

All the more reason to complain about some of W's ridiculous policies, if you ask me.

But yes, I also agree that Bono has become more more adept at subtlety in his lyrics. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is brilliant because of its rawness and its honesty, but Bono has matured as a writer so much since then. "One," for instance, can be heard as a song about loss and moving past grief, but I think it's also a powerful commentary on AIDS.

I've noticed in the most recent album especially how great Bono has become with metaphors. He's learned something that all great writers do over time: sometimes the words that move us most aren't the most forceful ones, but the ones that stick with us and take us awhile to figure out. That way, we're not simply embracing someone else's view of the world, but learning to better understand our own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom