Would you be mad if U2 didn’t play Streets in the third leg of this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you be mad if U2 didn’t play Streets in the third leg of this tour?

• Yes! :mad:

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • No! :)

Votes: 22 25.3%

• Total voters

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Yes, I know that Streets is possibly their best live song and that it's defenitly one of the best songs on their catalogue but why not retire it only for the third leg of this tour? I'm not saying forever just for one leg, it would make room for another song to be played and for a new kind of set-list. I think they still can put on an amazing show without Streets. I mean they've been playing it since 1987, we are in 2005. Plus in the third leg they would be going through a lot of cities that they been through on the first leg and on their last tour. I doubt this is going to be U2's last tour (and they probably will keep on playing Streets forever) but not even the Stones play Satisfaction every night. I think they should take the third leg of this tour to do very different set-lists and experiment. That would make the Vertigo Tour even more interesting and special.

I think the Elevation performances were way worse because Bono's voice just wasn't there at all. The "Bad" segue did nothing for me since the vocals on that were horrible as well.

I like the neat African singing in the Vertigo version (particularly since Bono can actually sing again). The intro is hokey as all hell (but then, so was Elevation's cheesetastic "what can I give back to God?"), but at least they're trying to do something new with it. I like the new ending of "One" for the same reason. If you're stuck playing all these hits every show, every tour, at least mix them up a little.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they dropped it. I'm firmly convinced that its best performances are all in the past.

DROP PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be ecstatic if I never heard a crap version of Pride again.

The Sports Guy from ESPN Page 2 said Bono should start dedicating the song to Abe Lincoln and talk about the ramifications of slavery in the 1800's b/c he's run out of stuff to say about MLK. :D That guy cracks me up!

i wouldn't mind if they dropped streets and added a different song, preferably one on my list of favorites. streets is great but i've seen them perform it several times already. however, for the virgin u2 concertgoer, not hearing streets might be unthinkable.

Yes. For me, it'll be my first time ever seeing U2 live, and I'd love, love, love to hear Streets. The completely selfish side of me is disappointed that it won't be the whole red backdrop, lights fashing deal because that's what I've always wanted to be a part of. *sigh* But, either way, I just want to hear it.

Well, I wouldn't mind... as long as they bring it back for Australia.

If they don't play it when I see them, there will never be a U2 show again.

Is that a threat? Yes. Yes it is.

:|

No never drop it!!! It is one of the most essential songs of U2, particulerly live playes!!! :drool:

I would be very, very disappointed if they dropped Streets!
Drop Pride yes, we have heard it enough, they couldn't match the studio version! They can drop New Year's day too...

But dropping Streets is violating holy ground... :wink:

I don't think they will ever drop Streets. It just wouldn't be a U2 show with that song. I would be very very very dissapointed if they refuse to play it the night I attend a U2-concert.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this AFRICA AFRICA AFRICA cheerleader thing is annoying.

i wonder if you felt the same with the USA shoutting at the begining of Walk On during Elevation tour.

Anyway, I could live well without streets in the setlist. It is becoming a predictable climax of every u2 show. Nevertheless i appreciate this new african approach that brings something new to the song.

I don't care because I'm not going to the third leg. :wink:

No, seriously, I don't think it would bother me. I wonder if I'd even notice it. When I design setlists, I sometimes omit it just by accident because what I have flows quite fine without it. In much the same way, if U2 played shows with cohesive flow, then I don't think it would matter if Streets were not there.

It would be interesting if U2 went out and didn't play songs like Streets, One, and Beautiful Day. However, I suspect they really enjoy playing Streets, so I don't think it will go anywhere.

I think they should TRY rotating it on the third leg.
I didnt seem to enjoy it as much as I thought I would, when I saw them.
So yeah, Give it a roatate.

What????????

If they don't play it I'll be sad.:sad: This is my first U2 concert and I'm seeing them by the end of the third leg of the tour.

bedouin fire said:

i wonder if you felt the same with the USA shoutting at the begining of Walk On during Elevation tour.

Anyway, I could live well without streets in the setlist. It is becoming a predictable climax of every u2 show. Nevertheless i appreciate this new african approach that brings something new to the song.

the usa thing stemmed from 9/11, was at the begining of a new song without any past history to it, and was over in 2 seconds. it didn't pump me up, it didn't annoy me. could live with it or without it.

the africa thing i don't like. i appreciate all bono does for africa, i support it, donate, etc. etc. for many of us nutty u2 fans is sort of a religion... streets is our mecca. it needs no introduction. it doesn't need a lecture over the start.

i didn't mind the psalm he did over the start of streets durring elevation... it was quiet, understated... it didn't really distract from the opening of the song.

the africa thing does... it's not that it's about africa. if he was yelling USA USA USA durring the start to streets, it would annoy me too. there is plenty of time durring the rest of the show where he can preach about africa, and i'll be more than happy to listen. but not streets...

the start to streets is a moment where I just want to close my eyes and let the goosebumps take over. i don't want something distracting me from that moment.

thanks for assuming i don't like it because it's about africa though. :up: :madspit:

Last edited:
Remember people I'm just saying no Steets for ONE leg of a tour, not for the whole thing and defenitly not forever. The third leg is always their second leg at the USA, so the people would have their chance on the first leg and also on future tours. Plus, who knows, it could be a good thing for the band to make shows without Streets after so long, maybe when they start playing it again the song would be even better. It's a healthy thing in my opinion, for the band and for the fans.

Axver said:
When I design setlists, I sometimes omit it just by accident because what I have flows quite fine without it. In much the same way, if U2 played shows with cohesive flow, then I don't think it would matter if Streets were not there.

That's exactly how I had this idea of a show without Streets. :) I was doing a setlist that I wanted to start with Vertigo so I had to fit LAPOE and COBL in other places than the beginning and only at the end I realized that I didn't added Streets there. But I liked the setlist anyway. Here's the setlist:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Out Of Control
An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
City Of Blinding Lights
The Unforgettable Fire
Beautiful Day
Pride
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
Crumbs From Your Table
Wake Up Dead Man
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Yahweh

:p

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the usa thing stemmed from 9/11, was at the begining of a new song without any past history to it, and was over in 2 seconds. it didn't pump me up, it didn't annoy me. could live with it or without it.

the africa thing i don't like. i appreciate all bono does for africa, i support it, donate, etc. etc. for many of us nutty u2 fans is sort of a religion... streets is our mecca. it needs no introduction. it doesn't need a lecture over the start.

i didn't mind the psalm he did over the start of streets durring elevation... it was quiet, understated... it didn't really distract from the opening of the song.

the africa thing does... it's not that it's about africa. if he was yelling USA USA USA durring the start to streets, it would annoy me too. there is plenty of time durring the rest of the show where he can preach about africa, and i'll be more than happy to listen. but not streets...

the start to streets is a moment where I just want to close my eyes and let the goosebumps take over. i don't want something distracting me from that moment.

thanks for assuming i don't like it because it's about africa though. :up: :madspit:

i was not assuming anything. in fact i don't even remember if you like it or not. it was just the sentence that i quoted that cauhght my attention.

for what you say here, it's true that the example i gave was just two seconds, but as you know, the elevation shows were full of refernces with solidarity to the usa (being the main one also during streets - the flag in the jacket, the names of the 11/09 victims and so on), which i think it was fair due to what happened, besides the fact that made very nice and emotional moments of the show, but it annoyed also a lot of people from this "not usa" part of the world.

condidering that, and the effort that bono has been doing over these past 4 years to solve the problems in africa, i think that the focus of one part of the show in this issue is natural and fair... and it brings a nice new and fresh face to the 'old and overplayed' where the streets have no name. also, if it's true that streets was written inspired on the trip of bono to etiopia in 85, then the connection is obvious.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Remember people I'm just saying no Steets for ONE leg of a tour, not for the whole thing and defenitly not forever. The third leg is always their second leg at the USA, so the people would have their chance on the first leg and also on future tours. Plus, who knows, it could be a good thing for the band to make shows without Streets after so long, maybe when they start playing it again the song would be even better. It's a healthy thing in my opinion, for the band and for the fans.

That's exactly how I had this idea of a show without Streets. :) I was doing a setlist that I wanted to start with Vertigo so I had to fit LAPOE and COBL in other places than the beginning and only at the end I realized that I didn't added Streets there. But I liked the setlist anyway. Here's the setlist:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Out Of Control
An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
City Of Blinding Lights
The Unforgettable Fire
Beautiful Day
Pride
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
Crumbs From Your Table
Wake Up Dead Man
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Yahweh

:p

Who's gonna ride your wild horses and Wake Up Dead Man!! That would be great! :drool: In fact, I love your whole setlist! :up: 'Cept maybe swap Out of Control for I will Follow and add WOWY and OOTS somewhere.. :wink:

The question being, would I be mad? No! Get real. I could never be mad at a U2 "live" concert. Which is how I voted..
With that said, I wouldn't be mad if they played it. :wink: period...

But your setlist- TheBrazilianFly :up: - would really rock my world.
:rockon: Say..in Atlanta in November.
Along with, as Lisa2004 said - I Will Follow :dance:

I voted "no."

Not because I dislike Streets, but because they would put on a great show even without it. Nothing I would get mad at.

Still, I can almost guarantee that they will play it every night this tour. Probably forever.

Yes, now that Adam does a walkabout during it. ;) Actually it's one of my fave songs, so I don't mind hearing it.

Gloria, New Year's Day, Streets, Hold me...kill me, 4 way tie for favorite U2 song, so I'm always happy to hear any of them.

Supposedly it's the turnaround song, if a gig is going badly, they play it, mood changes.

At least one member said it would always be part of the live set, but don't know how much say bass players get in these things.

It is THE best song that U2 perform live. Irrespective to the mood of the audience and the gig, that one song brings the house down every time. I've been to gigs where Bad hasn't gone down that well, or NYD and Pride have only been received luke-warmly. But the moment the crowd recognises the opening bars of the intro, the place goes mental.

They'd be fools to drop it, and I highly doubt that they would.

Back
Top Bottom