Would have loved to have seen "Unforgettable Fire" performed..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Edge could do the "stay in this town, stay tonight" and some of the notes that Bono couldn't reach... but I think Unforgettable Fire -> City Of Blinding Lights would have been great...

Imagine, when during UF when Larry does the drum slams, the lights go bright a la Bullet The Blue Sky...

Neither TUF or Mofo really panned out from the rehersals, did they? :huh: At least they still remember it exists though.

INDY500 said:
I'm thinking that the days of Bono being able to sing this song have passed. Shame really.

Ditto for In God's Country.

No way he can, I saw both the original times in concert he can do it again. I would love to see it..:drool:

mobvok said:
Neither TUF or Mofo really panned out from the rehersals, did they? :huh: At least they still remember it exists though.

UF wasn't rehearsed this tour, but it was for Elevation I think.

From the Best of Propaganda book on page 164. ZooTv era.
The Edge "What was your most hated song from previous sets?"
Bono "The hardest one for me was 'In God's Country'. It was very hard to sing, it was in a range that was a little bit too high for me."
The Edge "Two Hearts Beat as One' was the one I used to hate the most from a playing point of view."

Neither song has been played in full since.

I downloaded a live version of TUF from '89 I believe, and Bono was having a little trouble with the high notes then. I know this dosent belong in this forum, but do any of you know a good live recording of this song where Bono really has it down?

INDY500 said:
From the Best of Propaganda book on page 164. ZooTv era.
The Edge "What was your most hated song from previous sets?"
Bono "The hardest one for me was 'In God's Country'. It was very hard to sing, it was in a range that was a little bit too high for me."
The Edge "Two Hearts Beat as One' was the one I used to hate the most from a playing point of view."

Neither song has been played in full since.

Not true. An acoustic but full In God's Country was played three times late on Elevation.

I too would have given something dear to me to hear either of these songs live during this tour.

I do not believe the "he cant sing that" bullshit, becasue even if he couldnt hit the notes, I still would have loved to see the attempt, plus, hey the music would have been spot on I am sure...

Axver said:

Not true. An acoustic but full In God's Country was played three times late on Elevation.

I checked your site before posting and looked at the snippeted section instead of the full song section. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Any idea how it sounded?

INDY500 said:

I checked your site before posting and looked at the snippeted section instead of the full song section. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Any idea how it sounded?

:lol: Ha, I've made that mistake before too. "Miami wasn't played on Vertigo ... oh, yeah, snippets!"

I've only heard one version of the acoustic IGC, but I didn't think it sounded too bad as far as acoustic songs go (I have a strong bias against them). Definitely better than that tour's versions of Desire, SATS, and Stay.

ouizy said:
I do not believe the "he cant sing that" bullshit, becasue even if he couldnt hit the notes, I still would have loved to see the attempt, plus, hey the music would have been spot on I am sure...

He hasn't been able to sing Pride for about two decades now but that hasn't stopped him from trying, so I definitely don't buy any excuse along the lines of "he can't sing that".

Last edited:
INDY500 said:

Any idea how it sounded?

i know you weren't asking me but i feel like answering this anyway :wink:

i really liked the acoustic version of IGC from elevation. its a shame they didn't play it more often. i thought it was far superior to the acoustic versions of SATS and Stay.

if they really wanted to play any song they can always play it in a different key to make it easier to sing. . . so there's no problem of not being able to hit any notes.

1stepcloser said:

i really liked the acoustic version of IGC from elevation. its a shame they didn't play it more often. i thought it was far superior to the acoustic versions of SATS and Stay.

harmonica = :drool: :drool: :drool:

Unforgettable Fire should be one of those songs that they "rotate" in every third or fourth show. It's such a great song.

As for Bono not being able to hit those high notes - like discotech said above they can tune it down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom