With or Without You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uuu222

The Fly
Will we have a chance to hear With or Without You on this tour?
It' s My favorite U2 song (Although Bad gives it a run for its money), and amazing live, but will it make the cut?

I can only hope so.

Live versions of WOWY from 1987-1992 are my favorite song ever. Every version since 1997 was plain boring(except maybe the ones that have the Shine Like Stars verse). So I wouldn't mind if we don't hear it this tour.

RAH was topped by 1989-12-30 in my opinion.

WOWY may be cut. It vanished after three shows on the 3rd Leg of Elevation and Bono just can't sing it like he used to. I honestly won't be sad if it goes. I love the song so much that I don't want to hear a weak version.

I actually think that, as great the Joshua tour versions were, they were a little bit too fast and "strong". too much "simple minds". same on lovetown.
I prefer the Zoo TV versions, they're more subtle and "weak", they match better the pain in the lyrics. the best ever versions must have been played on zoomerang, with Lemon flowing into with or without you. plain amazing.
agree with you on Popmart and elevation versions, although I managed to catch a few good ones in person on those tours.
but I won't cry if it goes away....

I agree with Axver. Bono just can't sing it like he used to.

But, I think they will dust it off sometime/somewhere on this tour. Maybe not a regular in the setlists, but it will show up.

I agree w/ The OOTS - WOWY will be played here and there, but not every night like the older tours.

I love the song, but would prefer if it could be bumped for another older song that I haven't heard live before.

Axver said:
RAH was topped by 1989-12-30 in my opinion.

WOWY may be cut. It vanished after three shows on the 3rd Leg of Elevation and Bono just can't sing it like he used to. I honestly won't be sad if it goes. I love the song so much that I don't want to hear a weak version.

I think Bono's voice has been slightly rejuvenated...

Joshua87 said:

I think Bono's voice has been slightly rejuvenated...

Yeah, but it sure doesn't sound like the JT/Lovetown/ZooTV voice that suited WOWY.

discotheque77 said:
With or without you for sure, on every tour they played it!

But, like I keep on repeating, they dropped it 3 shows into the third leg of Elevation. Right now, its status is a song that has been cut from the regular setlist.

I think they just need to rediscover it a little bit. Bono's growing his voice back from the little slips, so I think it should come back most definitely. It's the song he dances with the girls with!

Axver said:

But, like I keep on repeating, they dropped it 3 shows into the third leg of Elevation. Right now, its status is a song that has been cut from the regular setlist.

I think ISHFWILF took it's place on the third leg (wasn't played on the first or second), that song was a great fit for the emotion of the tour with all the relations to 9/11. The second half of the sets were basically a dedication to the tragedy, songs like btbs, pride, please, new york, walk on, they all took on a new meaning. so i think that's why wowy had to be put aside. It will be played frequently on the next tour, imo, just not every night. I'd say 2 out of 3 shows they play it.

but i agree, they need to "redo" it a little bit.

RademR said:

I think ISHFWILF took it's place on the third leg (wasn't played on the first or second), that song was a great fit for the emotion of the tour with all the relations to 9/11. The second half of the sets were basically a dedication to the tragedy, songs like btbs, pride, please, new york, walk on, they all took on a new meaning. so i think that's why wowy had to be put aside. It will be played frequently on the next tour, imo, just not every night. I'd say 2 out of 3 shows they play it.

but i agree, they need to "redo" it a little bit.

ISHFWILF actually took the place of Mysterious Ways. On the first two legs, U2 more regularly played MW+The Fly, but by the third leg, ISHFWILF+Pride was permanent. WOWY was featured in the encore after Bullet and was initially there for the first three shows, but the encore was too long. Bullet, What's Going On, New York, One, and Walk On were kept. I guess you may have a point in that WOWY was simply forced out by tributes.

Shawn brings up a good point in that it was not played at one show on the first leg of Elevation. I'm pretty sure it was skipped at another date on the first leg too.

Back
Top Bottom