Will U2 "play" it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
Considering the fact that U2 had a massive ticket fiasco and most people in attendance will have paid an excessive amount to see them play, will this dictate WHAT will be played? In other words, are they fearful of playing obscure songs for fear of crowd reaction? I know this is not how U2 thinks of their setlist, but then again, they've never been in this position before. I'm sure they will be very sensitive to what their audience will want to hear. Will they simply count on the songs that have worked in the past for fear of rocking an already shaky boat? Just wondering.

cmaly said:
most people in attendance will have paid an excessive amount to see them play

Not true.

This isn't an issue.

What isn't true? I've spent more to see them play on this tour then in the last 3 tours combined; the fans I've spoken to have, as well. They are playing fewer dates at higher prices... that is simply a fact. I don't blame U2 for this...they're making great music and thus, there is high demand. I'm glad to see their continued success...heck, I'm shelling out cash for these shows... my only question is if this will dictate what they will play...for public relations sake.

I think they may have to anyway, there is such a huge range of classics that they'd have to have even longer shows to play any more than one 'obscure' song unfortunately. Added to that, the fact that the band themselves have claimed (I believe) that they are playing to a new (young?) audience this time, so many of the classics will be relied upon in addition to the new range of songs.

Well with Adam talking about this tour being more along the lines of ZooTV and Popmart they can get away with rarities. I remember seeing ZooTV, not knowing none of the new songs (I was in 8th grade) and just being blown away by the presentation and how it went with the music. They'll play the new stuff, greatest hits, and a few rarities.

cmaly said:
What isn't true?

Your claims about cost. I'm seeing three shows and the actual ticket value, minus Ticketbastard charges, is less than US$150. I call that good value!

The complaints about fewer dates miss the mark once you look at the schedule for the Joshua Tree Tour, and while some fans have missed out and shelled out a lot of money on e-Bay and whatnot, I suspect that's the vocal minority. People don't harp on and on when they have done well.

In any case, I think if this influenced setlists - which it won't - they would be influenced to play older rarities rather than greatest hits to satisfy and appease the older fans. A fan since ZooTV has seen Pride and WOWY a heap of times, but they wouldn't have seen Gloria or Exit.

You make solid points and I'm glad to hear some U2 fans aren't having the tribulations that I, and my friends are having when it comes to paying for tickets. I'm very eager to hear what they come up w/ for a setlist: this could be an astounding year.

Excessive ticket pricing is in the eyes of the beholder -- I'd suggest selling out as many shows as fast as they did indicates very few people thought the price was excessive. The fan club pre-sale ticket fiasco is an entirely separate issue in my opinion, which they seem to be working on solving.

Bottom line for me, they will play a mix of songs, leaning heavy on the new material, some from their greatest hits category, and a rare gem each night.

Sometimes I think we need to remember that the set has to keep them interested as well, and dusting off a few obscure oldies might do the trick.

Guess we'll find out in 45 days or so.

Back
Top Bottom