Why no OOTS?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Why no OOTS??

Original of the Species has no been played in there last couple of shows why???

I thought there would be even more reason to play it seeing its a single just been released.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:05 PM
I'm baffled, honestly. Surely Yahweh or ISHFWILF could take a rest in favour of OOTS.

Then again, back in 1997, U2 released IGWSHA as a single MONTHS after it had been dumped from the live setlists ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 03:05 AM
yeh - strange hey considering bono thinks it the best song from HTDAAB. Also they got all the extra art work done... maybe they are trying to improve on how they play it...(bono has been reported saying that they are still not happy with the way it is conducted live...)
Old 02-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 04:05 AM
They should bring back the full band version with the piano and Edge on guitar.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:05 PM
I thought it was great in Motterrey. The crowd gave it a huge applause too.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:05 PM
It could be based on crowd reaction to the song from the prior show where they played it. That's probably also why Bad has only been played once on this leg.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
The Fly

The version from Conan O'Brien was the best...that is what they need to find again....although live violins might be a stretch.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:05 PM
This song is their current-day "Staring at the Sun" : it should have been a HUGE single, but they never figured out how to mix it and play it live!

Great track, but a disappointment, too.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:05 AM
I could understand if they were replacing it with another Bomb song like Miracle Drug or Crumbs, but The First Time???
Old 02-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcadion
I could understand if they were replacing it with another Bomb song like Miracle Drug or Crumbs, but The First Time???
it was replaced by mothers of the disappeard in chile, and yahweh for brazil 2, and was played at brazil 1
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
The Fly

I think someone said earlier that they didn't want to have another audience not recognize nor repsond to a song.....this has got to be why they didn't play it.

I'd cut them some slack on First Time...not my favorite either but THEY clearly love the song and I think makes them feel like they are playing in someone's garage...look at when they played it in Boston....Bono said "This might be crap"...classic stuff.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
it was replaced by mothers of the disappeard in chile, and yahweh for brazil 2, and was played at brazil 1
No, if you look at the setlists for each show of this leg, whenever OOTS isn't played, the first time is, and vice versa.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by boston2012
I think someone said earlier that they didn't want to have another audience not recognize nor repsond to a song.....this has got to be why they didn't play it.
No that doesn't make sense either, why play Yahweh then? Also they've said how much they love OOTS. It has 2(!) videos for it, it's a single. More people would recognise it rather than TFT or Yahweh.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quite frankly, I think the band hasn't figured how to play the song live...

When it first debuted, it was The Edge on piano and no guitar for Bono. Then it became roadie (can't remember his name) on piano, The Edge on guitar (some new guitar parts), full orchestra (Milano), and no guitar for Bono. Then it went roadie on piano, The Edge on guitar (with more new guitar parts, specifically the intro), fake orchestra, Bono on acoustic. Finally, it became The Edge on piano, no orchestra, and Bono on acoustic.

The best version is the third version, which is the closest to the single version.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that Bono has often noted (earlier in the tour) that they are "still trying to figure out how to play the song live." Maybe that's still the case... I reckon that the song will be played again, and so will Crumbs.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arcadion

No, if you look at the setlists for each show of this leg, whenever OOTS isn't played, the first time is, and vice versa.
I disagree with this assessment. The typical position of OOTS was between BD and SYCMIOYO, true. However, at Mexico City II, OOTS was moved to the second encore to permit Stuck In A Moment to be played between BD and SYCMIOYO. This remained at Sao Paulo I. However, at Sao Paulo II, Stuck In A Moment was replaced with The First Time and OOTS with Yahweh. This remained the case in Santiago.

So I do not believe OOTS has been directly replaced by The First Time, though you could say it has been indirectly replaced.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog