Why doesn't U2 change up their setlists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to see some different songs mixed in the sets, and I think we will see some slight alterations in the near future. For example, I think this Live 8 gig will inject even more passion and inspiration into the band...which will translate into new ideas and song arrangements.

I also think, however, that this tour is about infiltrating the mainstream audience (aka not us). The band have us in their back pockets, and know that we will probably tag along regardless of a certain song order, etc.

Thank god for bootlegs of past tours...Popmart.:drool: I have a feeling we'll hear these songs again, but it might be a while.

I think U2 realize that their future, and the future of the global situations that inspire them, hinge on hammering home the same consistent messages on a nightly basis.

Last edited:
In all fairness, you can rehearse till you drop death, there are some things you coan only experience if you start playing for a live audience that will give you some feedback on what works and what not. As a wise soldier once said, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. And what looks great on paper and sounds great in rehearsal may bomb before an audience.

U2 seems to at their best with a static setlist. It just is. With them the magic happens in their interaction with the audience. How they can transcend the difference between an audience that has to pay expensive tickets, get overcharged on food and drinks at the venue and has to listen to 4 millionairs. Quit an accomplishment in my book.
I don't believe one word that they like to improvise. They utterly suck at improvisation. Edge is not a guitarist who can just rip out a completely new guitar solo on the spot. He has to work it out in advance. Just listen to the All along the watchtower on Rattle 'n hum, pure improv., and his pathetic attempt at an guitar solo vs. the awesome solo that he does on the Lovetown version. I must have listened to a gazillion bootlegs and you would not believe how many times have I heard Adam f*** up during songs he's been playing for decades.
Unless if with improvisation they mean minute changes that occur from night to night playing songs they know very well because they are in a nice comfortable static setlist.

And sometimes there has to be something said about a good solid setlist. Cause you then know you will get a solid show. Whereas with the lets mix things all up variety you run the risk that the show will not flow. I have a boot of the much praised Pearl Jam and it sucks. Its just a collection of songs. And yesterday I saw Rammstein. And theirs was a show so solid, with lots of gimmicks and pyrotechnics, that leads me to suspect that they also operate from a solid static setlist.

Muad'zin said:
In all fairness, you can rehearse till you drop death, there are some things you coan only experience if you start playing for a live audience that will give you some feedback on what works and what not. As a wise soldier once said, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. And what looks great on paper and sounds great in rehearsal may bomb before an audience.

U2 seems to at their best with a static setlist. It just is. With them the magic happens in their interaction with the audience. How they can transcend the difference between an audience that has to pay expensive tickets, get overcharged on food and drinks at the venue and has to listen to 4 millionairs. Quit an accomplishment in my book.
I don't believe one word that they like to improvise. They utterly suck at improvisation. Edge is not a guitarist who can just rip out a completely new guitar solo on the spot. He has to work it out in advance. Just listen to the All along the watchtower on Rattle 'n hum, pure improv., and his pathetic attempt at an guitar solo vs. the awesome solo that he does on the Lovetown version. I must have listened to a gazillion bootlegs and you would not believe how many times have I heard Adam f*** up during songs he's been playing for decades.
Unless if with improvisation they mean minute changes that occur from night to night playing songs they know very well because they are in a nice comfortable static setlist.

And sometimes there has to be something said about a good solid setlist. Cause you then know you will get a solid show. Whereas with the lets mix things all up variety you run the risk that the show will not flow. I have a boot of the much praised Pearl Jam and it sucks. Its just a collection of songs. And yesterday I saw Rammstein. And theirs was a show so solid, with lots of gimmicks and pyrotechnics, that leads me to suspect that they also operate from a solid static setlist.

Good post!!!

You are absolutely right on everything but that doesn't "justify"the loss of the boysongs and Gloria..I am very disspaointed that they have decided to drop these all of a sudden. And I don;t give a damn about newer fans who don;t know the songs. If I'm invited to a concert of a band I don;t know very well I do my homework. This IS a greatest hits show whereas in the US it was a greatest hits show with some rarities

It's so damn hot here...:mad:

I want A SORT OF HOMECOMING and THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE

Yes.
Why dont U2 play The Unforgettable Fire anymore ?
Its one of their best live songs.

Fano said:

Yes.
Why dont U2 play The Unforgettable Fire anymore ?
Its one of their best live songs.

I disagree. I don't think they ever managed to really nail it live.

I saw them play it and although I'd still say it was good, it's far from one of their strongest live songs.

packcrush said:
but U2 are much more of a populist band than Pearl Jam.

but they need to cater to that? they're the most popular band on the planet and they should play whatever the hell they can.

but they won't because they're lazy; they're been doing this for 25 years, they're all in they're mid 40's and couldn't give a shit about playing acrobat.

I'm glad they're still around but anyone hoping for more at this point is dillusional; accept that you should be happy for what you've got and move on, because anything new and exciting ain't happening on this tour anymore.

Next time someone meets a band member they should ask them have you guys ever thought of mixing things up a bit. There doesn't need to be drastic changes everynight like Pearl Jam, but at least make it interesting for the die hards. Mix up 6-8 songs a night or do things in a different order. The way things are going U2 is going to start getting comparisons to what the Stones have been doing for the past 20 years. Instead of Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, and Honkey Tonk Woman were getting Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet, With or Without You, Streets (this is fine :wink: ), etc.

Muad'zin said:
I must have listened to a gazillion bootlegs and you would not believe how many times have I heard Adam f*** up during songs he's been playing for decades.

I would believe it!! Yes, Adam is pretty good at hitting very bad wrong notes. I can't remember which recording it was, but during the first verse of City Of Blinding Lights, it sounded as if he was all over the place.

On this tour I think his biggest balls up so far is playing the entire first verse and chorus of 40 in completely the wrong key, which forced the band to stop the song and re-start from the second verse. I believe that was on the second night of the 1st leg.

It would be nice to see them mix it up a bit, but then Bono would have to learn all the lyrics....and we all know how much of a struggle he's had remembering the ones he's had to sing so far on this tour...:lol:

did anyone see that vh-1 special about the vertigo tour? the edge has his pedals hooked up to some computer thats programmed with the songs they play live. maybe they need more harddrive space

bray said:
did anyone see that vh-1 special about the vertigo tour? the edge has his pedals hooked up to some computer thats programmed with the songs they play live. maybe they need more harddrive space

Did that surprise you? :wink:

bray said:

I really really don't think so:wink:

the man has got one of the most if not THE most advanced setups in the world and he could create almost anything live...
where is that VH1-broadcast I'm curious about the computer and pedals :drool:

bray said:

no that doesn't mean anything; all it is is a device that routes all of edge's different effects pedals into one main area and then programs them for individual songs.

for example, if he wants to play bad, instead of manually stepping on 4 different pedals, he steps on one and the router does the rest.

that's not controversial. it's technology.

anyways....I'm curious about that adam playing 40 story on this tour....maybe the bass he had wasn't the right one that's detuned a half step, therefore it sounding like the wrong key?

JOFO said:

no that doesn't mean anything; all it is is a device that routes all of edge's different effects pedals into one main area and then programs them for individual songs.

for example, if he wants to play bad, instead of manually stepping on 4 different pedals, he steps on one and the router does the rest.

that's not controversial. it's technology.

anyways....I'm curious about that adam playing 40 story on this tour....maybe the bass he had wasn't the right one that's detuned a half step, therefore it sounding like the wrong key?

I always thought bono was out of key for some reason..gonna watch the dvd again. It's like bono is listening to a different key than the rest...very strange. but very funny...sounds like shit.(that's when I thruly love the boys, without control!!)

zwervers2 said:

I really really don't think so:wink:

the man has got one of the most if not THE most advanced setups in the world and he could create almost anything live...
where is that VH1-broadcast I'm curious about the computer and pedals :drool:

LOL that reminds me of my brother (who was with me at the brussels gig, b stage Edges side).
His first remark was :drool: look at his pedals (nevermind the band, look at the GEAR, man!!!) and his eyes were glued to the Edges' screen almost the whole show.

He too said that they had screwed up more than once, Edge as well as Adam and certainly Larry! He said that Larry was hitting totally off-rythm once song (cant remember which one, ack!) and that the rest of 'm just kept on playing, giving him casual looks untill he noticed :)

He asked him afterwards if he had learned anything by watching them and he said "yeah, when something goes wrong, just keep on playing like everything's ok" :lol:

Seriously, he totally admires U2 and has recently programmed a new pedal-set in "Edge-sound" :drool:
My corruption by feedling him U2songs persistently has paid off :evil:

the soul waits said:

LOL that reminds me of my brother (who was with me at the brussels gig, b stage Edges side).
His first remark was :drool: look at his pedals (nevermind the band, look at the GEAR, man!!!) and his eyes were glued to the Edges' screen almost the whole show.

He too said that they had screwed up more than once, Edge as well as Adam and certainly Larry! He said that Larry was hitting totally off-rythm once song (cant remember which one, ack!) and that the rest of 'm just kept on playing, giving him casual looks untill he noticed :)

He asked him afterwards if he had learned anything by watching them and he said "yeah, when something goes wrong, just keep on playing like everything's ok" :lol:

Seriously, he totally admires U2 and has recently programmed a new pedal-set in "Edge-sound" :drool:
My corruption by feedling him U2songs persistently has paid off :evil:

The Edge sound is totally programmed in my kick ass guitarrack..
It's so ungair that dave gilmour and edge made this sound I love to use this almost every other song but it is very difficult not to make it sound like you ripp off..(looking at you mr coldplay guitarplayer!)..there is one song of our band it sound like HE is in the room but it's only me with MY KICKASS GUITARRACK!~!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

zwervers2 said:

The Edge sound is totally programmed in my kick ass guitarrack..
It's so ungair that dave gilmour and edge made this sound I love to use this almost every other song but it is very difficult not to make it sound like you ripp off..(looking at you mr coldplay guitarplayer!)..there is one song of our band it sound like HE is in the room but it's only me with MY KICKASS GUITARRACK!~!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Yeah, that coldplay-dude has stolen Edges pedals and computers. I bet he wants them back, take it to court, Mr. Edge! :wink:

neilm said:
On this tour I think his biggest balls up so far is playing the entire first verse and chorus of 40 in completely the wrong key, which forced the band to stop the song and re-start from the second verse. I believe that was on the second night of the 1st leg.
If it was the bass, wasn't that Edge then, considering Adam and he usually switch instruments for 40?

That used to be standard practice, and they did that in 40 when I saw them in Seattle.

broken toy said:

If it was the bass, wasn't that Edge then, considering Adam and he usually switch instruments for 40?

That used to be standard practice, and they did that in 40 when I saw them in Seattle.

They do switch. I just presumed that most people knew that when I wrote my original post!

U2Ireland said:
What a load of shite this thread is.

What a brilliant statement...I'll bet that one took a lot of thought, didn't it?

Many bands have the ability to completely turn their setlists upside-down and inside-out from night to night.

U2 was "trapped" into their setlists with the performances, videos, and stage designs of ZooTV and Popmart.

Elevation was supposed to be a "stripped-down tour that would focus on the music" - no funny props, no costumes, just a chance for them to jam. But instead we continued to get the same old static setlists from U2, with maybe one or two surprises.

I expect more out of the "biggest band in the world". If they are going to strip things down as they have the past 2 tours, they should at least be more spontaneous with the music.

All I'm asking with this thread is why don't they? My underlying point is that I don't think they could if they wanted to.

I think: We moan alot about our favourite band not playing all the hidden gems etc.
I have learned to accept that U2 will never perform like for instance Bruce Springsteen (who makes alot of changes).
But I still think they owe us hardcore fans something.
Maybe every night 1 or 2 acoustic rarities just to please us. It would just be so nice to get to a point during the show where all the hardcore fans would be excited: Ok, what have they rehearsed today? "lady with the spinning head"? "October"?
But of course, that would mean they should rehearse on a daily basis...
I just don't think that's too much to ask.
I recently went to see Bruce Springsteen. He played three songs that were requests from fans he met in the morning outside the hotel where he stayed. I mean, he must have been practising for an hour or two to make these songs work.
That's good old protestant work ethic for ya'...
Are U2 catholics?

Last edited:
U2Ireland said:
What a load of shite this thread is.

Agree!

Have you guys read what you have written?
First you want them to have carried on like during the 80's, stripped down. Then you want more show, more surprices. You want them to vary the setlist LOADS but demand perfection out of every song. One wrong chord or mixed up lyrics by Bono and they are crap.
To Bono's defence I must say that even if I listen to their music every day if you ask me to sing I still haven't found with no music I would totally fail. Lyrics are not always easy no matter how much you practise.

If I were them I would be bloody scared to even get out on the stage (or I would prob give up) because I would know that whatever I did it would be wrong.

I can see your points but for me, every song, every night is different. See the small things guys! A screw up, different lyrics somewhere, the interaction between the guys, that's what makes the shows for us hardcore fans, not only what songs they are playing.

Saw my 22nd U2-show in Dublin 27th and was totally blown away just like I was the very first time, july 1993 (they have not blown me totally away at every show, but never disappointed me). Almost even more mindblown this time. I wonder how many bands in this world can achieve that? 12 years later, 22 shows on, still move me, my body, my emotions into shivers, tears and pure magic.

I tottaly agree with you , packcrush and zoocoustic has made a point. Arent they< popular enough and what about us,die hard fans????????????We dont deserve some supises now and then?
Exept for America)Part me for being sarcastic about Bonos passion for U.S

girlhappy said:
I tottaly agree with you , packcrush and zoocoustic has made a point. Arent they< popular enough and what about us,die hard fans????????????We dont deserve some supises now and then?
Exept for America)Part me for being sarcastic about Bonos passion for U.S
so you dont find the fact that you got i will follow, electric co, and Zoo Station? ok maybe i will follow is abit more of a crowd pleaser, but when did you think you would hear electric co and Zoo Station?

i give up on these threads

KUEFC09U2 said:
so you dont find the fact that you got i will follow, electric co, and Zoo Station? ok maybe i will follow is abit more of a crowd pleaser, but when did you think you would hear electric co and Zoo Station?

i give up on these threads

No please KUEFC09U2..YOU'RE THE REASON WHYYYYYYYY I STILL POST HEREEEEE...

Check out 2 nights with Pearl Jam...

I know U2 would never do this (and I've accepted this), but just imagine if they mixed up the set list like Pearl Jam. Check out these 2 set lists from 2 consecutive nights in New York in 2003...

July 8, 2003 setlist--------July 9, 2003 setlist
1. Love Boat Captain------1. Crazy Mary
2. Last Exit-----------------2. Save You
3. Save You----------------3. Hail Hail
4. Green Disease----------4. Whipping
5. In My Tree--------------5. Cordurory
6. Cropduster--------------6. Red Mosquito
7. Even Flow --------------7. Dissident
8. Gimme some Truth----8. I Am Mine
9. I Am Mine --------------9. Get Right
10. Low Light-------------10. Given To Fly
11. Faithful----------------11. Evacuation
12. Wishlist----------------12. Even Flow
13. Lukin-------------------13. I Believe In Miracles
14. Grievance--------------14. Untitled/MFC
15. 1/2 Full-----------------15. Deep
16. Black--------------------16. Present Tense
17. Spin the Black Circle--17. Nothingman
18. Rearview Mirror -------18. State of Love/Trust
19. Your Are----------------19. Porch
20. Thumbing My Way----20. You've Got To Hide
21. Daughter---------------21. Small town
22. Crown of Thorns ------22. Glorified G
23. Breath-------------------23. All or None
24. Betterman--------------24. Do the Evolution
25. Do The Evolution------25. Alive
26. Crazy Mary-------------26. Go
27. Indifference------------27. Know Your Rights
28. Sonic Reducer---------28. Rocking In Free W
29. Baba O Riley-----------29. Yellow Ledbetter
30. Yellow Ledbetter

On top of this, I was able to buy both of these "official bootlegs" (mastered with art work/sleeves) from the fan club (5 discs total for both shows) for $25!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom