Why do ppl say 'U2 will never play that song again?'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzlingamy

Refugee
The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - M
i've been reading a few posts and a lot of people say
'blah' oh well, u2 will never play that song again live.

is it a known thing that once a new album comes out all the other 'non single' tracks from other albums won't be played anymore??

I just am sad that i will never get to hear Walk On and In a Little While and The First Time, Ultra violet, Numb and Electrical Storm (as its not even from a proper album) live.

I'm so sick of streets and still haven't found, pride, btbs and the electric co (basically all the boy album). I think these songs although classics of U2, are overplayed and boring, and i would much rather hear some lesser known songs off their older albums then these classics.

is there an actual reason??

just wondering :)

Then again, the people who said that U2 would never be playing Zoo Station, Who's Gonna Ride...., Elevation or An Cat Dubh again have been eating a healthy chunk of crow on this tour.

dazzlingamy said:
is it a known thing that once a new album comes out all the other 'non single' tracks from other albums won't be played anymore??

I just am sad that i will never get to hear Walk On and In a Little While and The First Time, Ultra violet, Numb and Electrical Storm (as its not even from a proper album) live.

some of those are singles. Walk on, Numb, and Electrical Storm i know this for certain

dazzlingamy said:
i've been reading a few posts and a lot of people say
'blah' oh well, u2 will never play that song again live.

I'm so sick of streets and still haven't found, pride, btbs and the electric co (basically all the boy album). I think these songs although classics of U2, are overplayed and boring, and i would much rather hear some lesser known songs off their older albums then these classics.

is there an actual reason??

just wondering :)

I guess the question I'd ask relating to your post would be that you say you want to hear 'lesser known songs off their older albums,' but you listed nothing older than Achtung Baby/Zooropa songs for the tracks you're sad you will never get to hear live. What are you classing as older tracks if you're not counting anything from Boy? (not including 'unofficial demo releases!)

The songs U2 have been playing off of Boy (An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Electric Co and The Ocean) haven't been played for over 20 years and Gloria, from October, hasn't been played since the Lovetown Tour. Fans who thought they would never hear those particular songs played live again have lapped them up and for me, Electric Co is one of the highlights of the current live set.

U2 are supposed to be coming to Oz in January/February next year and to be honest, as they will be playing indoor arenas, I'd expect to see a very similar set list to the ones that will be played on the 3rd leg of the US tour. So I wouldn't expect to see any of the tracks that you mentioned unfortunately, although Walk On may be a possibility.

Before Elevation it was a relatively safe bet that any song that has been played but didn't make it to the next tour setlist was a goner. Now we can add unless they feel a certain thematic connection between this tour and certain songs of old. And even then its still relatively safe to say that anything that didn't get played the first time (like Acrobat during Zoo TV) will get a 2nd chance.
As for the big classics to be played at every tour. Get used to it and if you don't like it, don't go so much. The general concert going audience expects to hear them. Even bands that do mix up their setlists on a nightly basis still play their greatest hits and they are generally the high light of their show. The problem for U2 is that they have more then most bands

Muad'zin said:
Before Elevation it was a relatively safe bet that any song that has been played but didn't make it to the next tour setlist was a goner. Now we can add unless they feel a certain thematic connection between this tour and certain songs of old. And even then its still relatively safe to say that anything that didn't get played the first time (like Acrobat during Zoo TV) will get a 2nd chance.
As for the big classics to be played at every tour. Get used to it and if you don't like it, don't go so much. The general concert going audience expects to hear them. Even bands that do mix up their setlists on a nightly basis still play their greatest hits and they are generally the high light of their show. The problem for U2 is that they have more then most bands

lol..yeah that is true..U2 have too many known songs...and people will be very disspaointed when wowy isn;t played for instance will I couldn't care less if wowy or sbs or pride isn;t played...streets is a must....one used to b but this version isn;t doing it so much for me as it ued to...streets though is still a spintinkling moment

i think the only MUST song that has to be played is Streets

any other song is fair game to be rotated out for other hits

they have a ton of hits, they could rotate them in and out as well as other non hits if they really wanted to

Muad'zin said:

That pretty much nailed it.

Whoever said Walk On and Electrical Storm won't be played? Walk On was a single and has been snippeted recently, and obviously is important to the band due to the Suu Kyi connection, and Electrical Storm currently stands as the only U2 single to never be played live (and I'm expecting it to be performed soon).

Some songs are very obviously never going to be played again - i.e. those that did not work live. Like A Song is a good example: the band played it just once in February 1983, decided they couldn't keep the pace properly, and cut it. A song played just once over twenty years ago isn't about to appear in a 2005 setlist. Another couple of good examples of songs obviously not to be played again are The First Time and The Playboy Mansion, which were both only snippeted, never played in full.

Axver said:
Electrical Storm currently stands as the only U2 single to never be played live (and I'm expecting it to be performed soon)

Girl: Any Chance of you playing Electrical Storm tonight? (chicago show)
Edge: We're looking into it, might bring it in at the end of the tour

Hows your trip been?, sad to be coming home soon. I know I was.

bono_man2002 said:
Hows your trip been?, sad to be coming home soon. I know I was.

Sad is putting it mildly. The trip's been unbelieable and I'd much rather stay.

Axver said:

That pretty much nailed it.

Whoever said Walk On and Electrical Storm won't be played? Walk On was a single and has been snippeted recently, and obviously is important to the band due to the Suu Kyi connection, and Electrical Storm currently stands as the only U2 single to never be played live (and I'm expecting it to be performed soon).

Walk On has been snippeted and correct, it was a single. However, that doesn't mean it will be played in it's entirety on the tour and the same goes for any song of theirs they 'snippet.' Sure, Walk On has some importance to the band as I'm sure all their songs do, but I think that a snippet is as far as it will probably get on this tour.

As for Electrical Storm, I'd of thought if it doesn't make a debut in Europe, where as a single it was a slightly bigger success, then the chances are pointing more to it not being played, although you never know I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom