Whoa... "Zoo Station" should've been the opener this tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
randhail said:

Just a question, do you try to belittle people in your posts or does it just happen naturally?

Question, what does this have to do with this thread? Did you post this to start problems? Settle it with PM's or private emails. I have been in these little pissing fights on here before myself and its just not worth it. Lets get back on topic or close the thread. :wave:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's funny coming from you of all people.

It was an honest question, for when was the last time U2 opened with a song that wasn't on their current album?

You're right it would've never had a chance of happening.

BUT, it still would've been pretty cool and that's what this thread is about.

Fair enough?

randhail said:

Exactly, you are the high and mighty one whose shit doesn't stink. My apologies for forgetting that.

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, or why you chose this thread to express it. I don't know if you are looking for a fight or what, but you're not going to find it here.

Go troll somewhere else.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, or why you chose this thread to express it. I don't know if you are looking for a fight or what, but you're not going to find it here.

Go troll somewhere else.

My problem is that I think you're a condescending prick based on the tone of your posts.

Perfect example:

Super_Fan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did the Where the Streets Have No Name visual image on the Vertigo tour screen of Africa influence Lars Ulrich and the rest of Metallica to play South Africa?

BonoVoxSupastar

Take drugs much?

I could've expressed it a number of threads, but I chose this one. I apologize for derailing the thread.

randhail said:

My problem is that I think you're a condescending prick based on the tone of your posts.

Perfect example:

Super_Fan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did the Where the Streets Have No Name visual image on the Vertigo tour screen of Africa influence Lars Ulrich and the rest of Metallica to play South Africa?

BonoVoxSupastar

Take drugs much?

I could've expressed it a number of threads, but I chose this one. I apologize for derailing the thread.

Did you honestly think that was a serious thread? :lol: The nonsense thread got a nonsense response.

My bad. I'm sorry for stirring up trouble, I just sometimes get a little heated..as you know from some threads I've posted in.

When I first heard the Zoo Station encore kick in at Phoenix 1, I was BLOWN AWAY.

I honestly NEVER expected to hear that song again live in concert.

There is no doubt that starting off the Zoo TV Tour with ZS was the greatest intro of all time.

A fabulous song and shame on those who have proclaimed it a "weak link" on the AB album.

That said, it probably would have been weird to have that open the Vertigo Tour. As previously mentioned, it's common place for U2 to have a current song open a tour.

Given that, I thought City of Blinding Lights was a great opener for Vertigo and has become one of my favorite songs from HTDAAB because of the live experience.

I saw back-to-back nights in Phoenix and they actually opened the first night with Love and Peace. They came out and circled the catwalk all shining flood lights into the audience. It actually worked very well, although I concede the COBL opener was probably more appropriate.

Zoo Station was a great way to kick off the encore, however!:rockon:

off topic, but i think i liked Vertigo as the opener over COBL. You want a real kick arse opener and while COBl does "rock", Vertigo just takes everyone to a higher level than COBL. And I think you want that level right from the get go. but that's just my 2 cents.

:shrug:

Zoo station wouldn't have worked as an opener . Don't get me wrong its one of my fav songs on AB, but there are a few floors:

1) How many people would know it? it was never a single, and the album is 14 years old.

2) A first song has to win over the fans. based on point one, would Zoo station be successful at this, especially in the stadiums?

3) It's been done before. The only artist who i can name who doesn't use a 'promo album' song to open his sets is Robbie Williams with 'Let me Entertain You' which works cause all the crow knows it however. 80,000 people in a stadium would not all know Zoo station.

Great song though

love ZOO station, one of the highlights on the tour.

would never have worked as the opener though. i dont know about europe, but in the states it got a really "what is this?" reaction. Didn't get much response from the crowd, so as an opener it wouldn't have worked.

plus, COBL is a great opener anyway.

zoo station was a great opener, but for zoo tv and zooropa, its a great encore opener, its nice to hear those nice edge licks that travel thru your spine, but COBL is mind-blowing, gives me the shivers
browneyedboy, you can't have a 14year-old song open the vertigo tour, HTDAAB's got great songs, 2 of which opened the tour, i personally prefer COBL, no need to play zoo station

Zooropean103 said:
1. Musically there is no contest. Much better drums in the intro- very, very powerful. On Chicago DVD they are quite weak.

Yes, I agree!!! :yes: I was waiting for the loud, powerful drums to kick in, but it was quite weak on the DVD. I don't know what the sound editing (?) guys did to that one. Actually, the bootleg for the Seattle show was even more powerful.

Zoo Station, I think belongs to the stadium. :drool: I can never forget the experience of hearing it at Croke.

When Zoo Station kicked in at Sydney 1, I actually just closed my eyes and took it in. When I opened them, the first thing I saw was Bono goosestepping across the front of the static up on the video screen - damn near cried. Awesome. There I was watching U2 in Sydney, and there's Bono goosestepping, kicking, lurching backwards across the front of this huge screen while Zoo Station hammers out. You can't get much closer to an ultimate U2 time travel moment than that. Then of course they kick straight into The Fly and Bono goes all Elvis behind the mic stand. Thank Christ they didn't finish that encore with some god awful Bomb song to ruin my moment of U2 greatness.

Last edited:
Zoo Station is great opener :drool: But did any of you feel that they played the song at a slower tempo on the vertigo tour and that adams bass wasn't as "pounding" as it was ala ZooTv

Btw can any of you lovely people send me the Copenhagen version please ? connor595@ hotmail.com

I think it's a great opener - but it's not the ZooTv tour & logically they would open with a new song. City' is perfect. It's not unlike 'Streets in some ways so it fits.

Zoo Station is one of my favourite U2 songs, but they really should drop it. I mean, when they did it at Sydney I and II, I was in heaven, but the crowd response was pretty mediocre. In fact, it probably got the least rousing response of the night, which is a huge pity. When the little Zooropa spacemen came up on the screens and I starting screaming "ZOO STATIOOOOOOON!!!!" the people around me thought I was nuts!

I also agree they could pick up the tempo and tighten it up a little more - it would be on the same level as Zoo TV then.

Did I mention this song kicks ass??!!!

Hawkmoon26969 said:
Zoo Station is one of my favourite U2 songs, but they really should drop it. I mean, when they did it at Sydney I and II, I was in heaven, but the crowd response was pretty mediocre. In fact, it probably got the least rousing response of the night, which is a huge pity. When the little Zooropa spacemen came up on the screens and I starting screaming "ZOO STATIOOOOOOON!!!!" the people around me thought I was nuts!

I also agree they could pick up the tempo and tighten it up a little more - it would be on the same level as Zoo TV then.

Did I mention this song kicks ass??!!!

Sometimes people need to be told whats good for them ;-)

They forgot to turn Adam's bass on for the Chicago DVD.

It's been above average during the latter parts of Vertigo, but will never touch the original. Edge changed his effects a little bit too much, Bono can't get as excited at the beginning, etc. Good, but not great.

I think Zoo Station was one of the biggest surprises of the tour.

Top 3 Surprises:

1. Miss Sarajevo - little known, non-album curiosity taking the place of the Joshua Tree classic
2. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart - totally bizarre piece of early U2
3. Zoo Station - lead song from massive album and tour, yet not mainstream and bizarre sound

In some ways, Miss Sarajevo & Zoo Station are massive surprises just because U2 stuck to them through the tour regardless of mediocre crowd response.

It was just to include everything. My point was it pales in comparison to the openers actually used on this tour.

Back
Top Bottom