Whats with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petrocs

Babyface
Vertigo being played twice?They have so many songs and they're gonna open and close the show with the same song? Doesnt make sense

it would be justifiable if it was just a couple of times on the tour, a spontaneous thing after 40 or bad (like NJ 1). but this is getting a little ridiculous. i know its a big hit, but its really not that good of a song to be played twice. the 2nd time at msg was pretty average, as was the crowd's reaction. i know its a nod to the 'this is our first album' idea they are doing on this tour, but its very weak way to end the show.

jphelmet said:
it would be justifiable if it was just a couple of times on the tour, a spontaneous thing after 40 or bad (like NJ 1). but this is getting a little ridiculous. i know its a big hit, but its really not that good of a song to be played twice. the 2nd time at msg was pretty average, as was the crowd's reaction. i know its a nod to the 'this is our first album' idea they are doing on this tour, but its very weak way to end the show.

couldnt disagree more, its a far stronger way to end the show rather than 40. bad was the best of all three though

then play it at the end but I couldnt agree more that it is overkill to play it twice

Cause U2 used to play songs 2x "back in the day" when they thought they didn't have enough tune to fill a set.

That was then, this is now. They've got hundreds of songs to choose from, they're charging hundreds of $ admission, and playing a song 2x is a rip-off.

It was "cute" to play 11 O'Clock 2x in 1980 because they only charged $8. It's far less entertaining at $175.

They do it so that Brau has something new to bitch about.

The thought of the guys sitting around in a meeting deciding who to piss off amuses me greatly.

"What should we play tonight?"

"Hey, how about repeating a song?"

"Why would we do that?"

"Just to piss people off."

"Brilliant! Let's do it!"

:lol:

Well I for one am glad they didnt repeat it at any of the shows I went to

My best moment of the evening in Brussels: 2nd Vertigo! The crowd was going mad! After seeing my first Vertigo concert in real life I've come to the conclusion that setlists discussions on the internet with people who weren't even there really don't make sense at all. So that's why this will be my first and last posting about setlists.

Cheers!

i'd rather see another song, but when youre at the concert and they do it its pretty awesome.

Uhh, maybe the band just really likes playing it? God forbid that do something that they really. I've played Vertigo before, and it really is a lot of fun. I can see why U2 would want to play it again at the end of a concert.

my perspective is warped because i got spoiled at the shows i went to. the first night the played 40 and then vertigo. it was really cool, i thought the show was over and it was a bonus. it seemed like they were having a blast and just felt like playing another song. the next night they ended with a 11 minute version of bad- incredible greatest ending to any u2 show i have seen. then lastly a couple of nights later- the cut 40 and/or bad and play vertigo a second time. in that context it was hugely disappointing. i would rather hear a different song- it seems like you are getting cheated to a degree when the play the same song again. the girl next to me at msg said "didn't they already play this?" my thoughts exactly.

RademR said:
i'd rather see another song, but when youre at the concert and they do it its pretty awesome.

I agree - engery at the concert is amazing for the second round of Vertigo - it ends the concert on a high note

that being said the bad/40 combo is my all time favorite

They are doing it (in Europe) to start with Vertigo with very cool new (Native Son) intro, great opener, but it's in daylight, so they're playing it again at the end with all visuals when it's dark.
:)

bathiu said:
They are doing it (in Europe) to start with Vertigo with very cool new (Native Son) intro, great opener, but it's in daylight, so they're playing it again at the end with all visuals when it's dark.
:)
[/QUOTE sounds quite fantastic actually :)

Waste of time playing a song twice, looks like they can't be bothered to rehearse another song.

rjhbonovox said:
Waste of time playing a song twice, looks like they can't be bothered to rehearse another song.

Stupidest post on this thread. We all know they have played more songs this tour than they can fit into any one show, so I don't think the lack of rehearsing material is the reason.

Axver said:

Stupidest post on this thread. We all know they have played more songs this tour than they can fit into any one show, so I don't think the lack of rehearsing material is the reason.

Now, if they'd just squeeze in 11 O'Clock Tick Tock everything would be perfect. :wink:

I don't understand why some people dislike the fact that they're playing Vertigo twice...

1. As most of you know, back in the early days, they opened and closed with The Ocean. Sure, this was partly because they didn't have a lot of songs, but now they're doing it with Vertigo because they feel HTDAAB harkens back to Boy, even going to the extent of calling HTDAAB their first album! So opening and closing with Vertigo is a nod to their early setlists, which I think is :cool: .

2. Vertigo is their most rockin' song off HTDAAB so it makes for a rockin' opener and a rockin' closer, which is what they feel like doing on some nights. To which I say: :rockon: !

3. U2 has "acquired" a lot of new fans because of Vertigo, so to play it at the beginning AND at the end means that they are pleasing these new fans in a way that some rare, obscure song cannot.

4. The surprise element! MOST people wouldn't expect to hear Vertigo played a 2nd time, and again since it's such a rockin', upbeat song it surprises then energizes the crowd! :hyper:

5. If you're thinking about the money you spent and how it's not a good "deal" to hear the same song twice, well that's just sad, and very cheap of you might I add... :rollseyes:

6. Hello, Hello? It's CALLED the VERTIGO TOUR! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom