What songs will change the most on the tour? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:52 PM
What songs will change the most on the tour?

What HTDAAB songs do you think will improve the most? Like an averrage album version of Mysterious Ways evolved into one of the greatest live tracks ever or not special Joshua Tree's version of Bullet The Blue Sky progressed into great rocker and one of the best encore songs? My types are:

1. Love & Peace or Else- this track has a GREAT live potential. It can be another Bullet or at least nearly as good as him.
2. Fast Cars- if they will play it ofcourse, but I doubt that they will do it It can work well in the acoustic part or IMO before/after Mysterious Ways.
3. Yahweh- big potential for the ending song. Mayby we will have next Walk On which has worked great?
4. Crumbs from your Table- I prefer much more the DVD version, so I think that it can turn into good rocker.
5. City of Blinding Lights- we first heard it on the TOTP gig (when they also played Vertigo, ABOY, Desire and Mystery Girl) and it was the highlights of the show. Another Streets? Ofcourse not, but I believe that the line OH(/ALL?)-YOU-LOOK-SO BEAUTIFUL TONIGHT will work much better than on the album :P

These are my types. I was also thinking about adding Vertigo and All Because of You, but I don't think that they will be more than a powerful rockers.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think All Because of You for sure. We already know that was awesome live. Same with COBL, that was spectacular live!!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:52 AM
I think Miracle Drug has some great potential - the CDUK performance was amazing - even if Bono was the only one live

Sometimes is already starting to take on a new form live - I think it will only get better
Old 01-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 05:52 AM
One Step Closer will be shortened and played as an intro to Streets. Love and Peace will be the song for which Bono changes lyrics to suit current events. It will also be a nice replacement for Bullet, which has run its course.

My biggest wish is that they finally drop With or Without You. It's dragged the show down ever since the Zoo tour when they dropped the "shine like stars" section.

My 2nd biggest wish is that they add another gem from the early days. Last time it was Out of Control. Maybe this time 11 O Clock Tick Tock? Gloria?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Jim
Refugee

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Listening to 'All Because Of You' yesterday, I think it would make a great finale to a concert. Loud with lots of blaring white lights.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:52 AM
i'm willing to put money that love & peace or else, yahweh and fast cars will not be played on this tour
Old 01-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
The Fly

adam has already said they're looking forward to playing yahweh
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Love and Peace or Else could become the next Bullet in its live rendition. I can't wait for a live version of this monster.
Yahweh could also incredibly evolve. Hints of that can be heard in the alternate version.
Crumbs From Your Table could evolve in a way Until the End of the World and Gone did live. It has an explosive ending with tremendous live potential.
City of Blinding Lights...duh.
Original of the Species. I think the band could make an arrangement that can kill the studio version. Similar to Karma Police by Radiohead. Imagine a perfect mixing of piano and guitar.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i'm willing to put money that love & peace or else, yahweh and fast cars will not be played on this tour

bet ya 50000000000 dollars they play yahweh
Old 01-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 AM
well, you have to think that at least 2 maybe even 3 will not be played at all.
Fast Cars-I think there is little chance of this being played

One Step Closer-unless it's incoporated as mentioned above as sort of the "go-between" betweeen Streets and another song, I don't see it being played.

So, we know pretty much 100% that these songs will be played:
Vertigo (standard, no changes)
Miracle Drug (standard, maybe a longer solo)
All Because of You (standard, with different solos)
City of Blinding Lights (standard, maybe slightly different intro)
Sometimes YCMIOYO (same with strings)

I think these songs will be played live:
Yahweh-closer

Original of the Species-similar to the 'Stuck' arrangement, piano and full band, guitar on the chorus similar to NYD or whatever

Love and Peace or Else-possible opener (I think it will be this or Vertigo) look for this song to change the most, I would think

Crumbs From Your Table-acoustic portion
A Man and a A Woman-acoustic portion

I think the intro is going to be Vertigo or LAPOE and possibly COBL> I'd be real shocked if it was anything other than those 3.

The closer seems to be Yahweh, just fits.

Personally, I hope they do the full live Crumbs, but I don't think they will.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
The Fly

the name of the tour is "vertigo tour" so i feel that it is appropriate to open with Vertigo.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
War Child

Yeah, the name of the tour pretty much shoots down my prediction of LAPOE as the opener. I think it would have been the coolest to open because it's a bit of a darker song and would have set a real mood.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
The Fly

I still can't shuck the notion of City of Blinding Lights as the opener, building like Streets from the JT tour.

The "oh you look so beautiful" chorus would be great with the mandatory audience response... plus, a slightly longer song works well as an opener, taking advantage of pre-concert tension, and allowing the audience to get its groove on before the lyrics start. Streets, Hawkmoon (when used on LoveTown), Zoo Station and Elevation (with the modified intro) all followed this pattern.

Vertigo would make a great second song, really upping the intensity level.

After that, I'd love to see an older up-tempo number, like Real Thing... but I fear we'd get a warhorse like I Will Follow, End of the World or NYD instead.

Love and Peace, as others have said, is a sensible replacement for (the VERY tired) Bullet. It could take the "showpiece" slot occupied in previous tours by Bullet ('87) or New York ('01) in the first third of the show. Might they drag out Running to pair with it? Probably not.

Crumbs seems unlikely, but if they played it, it feels like it would go where Gone has on the last two tours (they're somewhat similar in feel and pacing).

All Because of You would work well either just before a mini-stage interlude, or coming out of the "slow" section, building momentum toward the close.

Beautiful Day, with the relentless crescendo, would make a good main-show closer. Back before the '01 tour, I dreamed of a show-ending pairing of Dirty Day>Beautiful Day. Hah.

I hold some hope of a "parent-child suite" that could include Kite, Sometimes, Original of the Species and One, and maybe even Mofo or I Will Follow.

If someone has inside info on the setlist, please speak up (and try to offer some credentials) so the rest of us don't make fools of ourselves!